PDA

View Full Version : Benching a player with 3 or 4 fouls

1stTimeCaller
3/20/2007, 01:59 PM
I really don't understand the theory that every coach subscribes to when it comes to benching players with 3 or 4 fouls.

I can understand sitting them down for a posession and talking to them about being careful but as soon as the whistle blows they should get back out there.

Jeopardude
3/20/2007, 02:01 PM
Would you bench a player if you could put your finger on the seat?

(check out SO if you don't know what that means)

leavingthezoo
3/20/2007, 02:23 PM
i don't know the official reasoning by coaches, but it seems like as the game progresses the officiating crew often lightens up on blowing the whistle. that's not always the case but it seems more than not. getting the 4th or 5th foul seems more likely in the earlier parts of the game than the latter because of this. maybe. just thinking. i pretty much don't know anything.

fwsooner22
3/20/2007, 02:23 PM
I have no idea if you are serious or not.....in case you are.........Lets say Wayman Tisdale just got his 4th foul and there is 8:01 left in the game. What would you do if you were the opposing coach?

You go right at him and he leaves the game with his 5th or backs down and ya get an easy duece.

You simply cannot just leave him out there. You take him out and give the refs a chance to call a couple the other way and even it out. Then, hopefully when he comes back they cannot play it as aggressively.

Leave him out there and lose your job. Its pretty simple.

1stTimeCaller
3/20/2007, 03:28 PM
I'm serious. I think you bench them for a maximum of two posessions. You're only going to get X minutes out of that player, why have a coach basically foul you out at 4 fouls.

fwsooner22
3/20/2007, 04:21 PM
Did you read my response???? There are about 10 reasons to bench them. I only listed a couple. Surely, you do not think that you are smarter than every basketball coach out there.....

TopDawg
3/20/2007, 04:50 PM
When our women played Baylor (or maybe it was ISU) in the conf. tourney this year, they had two of their best players get 4 fouls within a few minutes of each other. She sat them both for a while and then brought them back in with about 3 minutes left. The team actually played better when they were on the bench because the girls were too afraid to pick up that 5th foul and be done. It was like we were playing 5-on-3. If they would've stayed in the game when they picked up the 4th, we would've been up by 15 with 2 minutes left.

Players don't like to foul out at all. They certainly don't want to foul out with 8 minutes left in the game. By sitting them down, you're able to put someone in the game who can actually play aggressively. When it's down to 2 or 3 minutes left, the guy with 4 fouls can start to be aggressive again because it's not as big a deal if he fouls out.

So while you may get more court-time out of not sitting them on the bench when they pick up their 4th, the court-time that you do get out of them is probably not going to be as productive as you'd like.

badger
3/20/2007, 06:13 PM
it's obvious why you do this (not that I am insulting you, it's just obvious to me)

back in my playing days (10 years ago or so), when you got called for a foul, it kind of irked you. you hardly ever WANT to have a foul called against you (unless you're trying to stop the clock, hack shaq, etc). An irked player is more likely to get called for another foul right away, including a technical if you're irked enough (like the baylor beyonce we had in the big 12 tourney, hehe).

so, you take them out, let them calm down a little, so that when they are in the game, they won't do something stupid that an irked player would do.

and now... because I don't want to start a new thread...

we have the hair apparent to skeletor, ladies and gents of sf.com. and she is... skarehair.
http://www.nmnathletics.com.edgesuite.net/pics9/400/KB/KBVBSPTSAZEACNZ.20070320020434.jpg
oh my holy freakin crap man... it just seemed to get worse as the game went on. must be frustrating to lose by 30 without the ou's starters in, eh? oh yeah... the lead just kept growing after that, heh.

it's much easier to keep your hair tamed when you smile a little... have a good laugh with your star player, put in your seniors to give them some tourney experience, let your starters rest.
http://www.nmnathletics.com.edgesuite.net/pics6/400/AZ/AZGEOZVBRGYEQFC.20070320020430.jpg
and as for jenna... she believes she can fly... and save the day!
http://www.nmnathletics.com.edgesuite.net/pics15/400/VG/VGDSIUGRZIADGUV.20070320020421.jpg
way to go, team!

1stTimeCaller
3/21/2007, 11:17 AM
Badger, why would you be insulting me? I said that I think you should sit them down for a for a whistle or two. You basically said the same thing.

Did you read my response???? There are about 10 reasons to bench them. I only listed a couple. Surely, you do not think that you are smarter than every basketball coach out there.....
I did read your response. If you're going to be a dick about it why don't you list all 10 reasons. Many times when I don't fully have an idea figured out in my head I'll ask a question. That's what I did here.

The way I see it if a player fouls out and misses the last 5 minutes or the coach sits them on the bench for 5 minutes the player still was on the bench for 5 minutes.

TopDawg
3/21/2007, 01:25 PM
The way I see it if a player fouls out and misses the last 5 minutes or the coach sits them on the bench for 5 minutes the player still was on the bench for 5 minutes.

Did you not read my response?

I ended it with:

By sitting them down, you're able to put someone in the game who can actually play aggressively. When it's down to 2 or 3 minutes left, the guy with 4 fouls can start to be aggressive again because it's not as big a deal if he fouls out.

So while you may get more court-time out of not sitting them on the bench when they pick up their 4th, the court-time that you do get out of them is probably not going to be as productive as you'd like.

1stTimeCaller
3/21/2007, 06:42 PM
yeah, I sent you some green spek earlier too. thanks.

sanantoniosooner
3/21/2007, 07:07 PM
Why didn't you read my response?

badger
3/21/2007, 07:28 PM
Badger, why would you be insulting me? I said that I think you should sit them down for a for a whistle or two. You basically said the same thing.

I did read your response. If you're going to be a dick about it why don't you list all 10 reasons. Many times when I don't fully have an idea figured out in my head I'll ask a question. That's what I did here.

face it... the only reason i posted in this thread was because i didn't want to start a new one.

1stTimeCaller
3/21/2007, 07:36 PM
did you read my response?

:D

Eielson
3/21/2007, 08:46 PM
I really don't understand the theory that every coach subscribes to when it comes to benching players with 3 or 4 fouls.

I can understand sitting them down for a posession and talking to them about being careful but as soon as the whistle blows they should get back out there.

I think they do that so that the player doesn't foul out. :P

stoops the eternal pimp
3/21/2007, 09:25 PM
i havent responded

badger
3/21/2007, 09:29 PM
did you read my response?

:D
uh... what if i said that the only thing i read was your thread title?:O

1stTimeCaller
3/21/2007, 10:28 PM
yes

badger
3/22/2007, 03:27 PM
uh... hey look! coach coale's legs!
http://www.nmnathletics.com.edgesuite.net/pics24/400/OO/OOJJWWKLSATZHFL.20060201041118.jpg

fwsooner22
3/22/2007, 03:35 PM
Wow............

badger
3/22/2007, 03:40 PM
and prepare your JEALOUS EYES. I give you... Mr. Sherri Coale:
http://www.metrofamilymagazine.com/images/newsletter/5229763_8780134.jpg
When they showed this guy at the last game, NP was sooooo shocked! It was quite amusing to see his reaction. I must admit, I was a tad bit surprised that Mr. Sherri wasn't like... I dunno, awesome bodybuilder-like guy.

1stTimeCaller
3/23/2007, 12:08 AM
he looks more like a HS baseball coach at someplace like Purcell

King Crimson
3/23/2007, 12:29 AM
and prepare your JEALOUS EYES. I give you... Mr. Sherri Coale:
http://www.metrofamilymagazine.com/images/newsletter/5229763_8780134.jpg
When they showed this guy at the last game, NP was sooooo shocked! It was quite amusing to see his reaction. I must admit, I was a tad bit surprised that Mr. Sherri wasn't like... I dunno, awesome bodybuilder-like guy.

he shaves his eyebrows.....:rolleyes:

sanantoniosooner
3/23/2007, 07:21 AM
he shaves his eyebrows.....:rolleyes:
There is no end to what I'd shave if she asked me to.

fwsooner22
3/23/2007, 08:25 AM
There is no end to what I'd shave if she asked me to.

Amen;)