PDA

View Full Version : Orange Vomit.

Fraggle145
3/20/2007, 01:04 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2805393

Confident Reid expects big results from OSU in 2007By Tim Griffin
Special to ESPN.com

Bobby Reid grew up late last season, developing a sense of maturity that was missing in his first two seasons of college.

The Oklahoma State quarterback said the change came after he was benched late in the Cowboys' loss to Oklahoma. Reid had been injured earlier in the game and thought he was ready to re-enter the game. While cameras caught Reid pouting along the OSU sideline about not going back in, backup Zac Robinson nearly led the Cowboys to a late comeback victory over the Sooners. (:rolleyes:)

"It was a time of the game I felt like I should have been back in," Reid said. "I was mad, and my emotions took over. I shouldn't have let it show, but it happened."

After the game, Reid met with OSU offensive coordinator Larry Fedora and coach Mike Gundy to explain his feelings. The clear-the-air session helped Reid and his coaches get on the same page.

"After that, my relationship with coach Fedora got better," Reid said. "He didn't like a few things I had done, and I didn't like a few things that had happened. When we got together, it wasn't a coach and a player talking, but more like two men who were sharing their feelings." (:eek: )

Reid was back in the starting lineup for the Cowboys' Independence Bowl game against Alabama. The new confidence helped him engineer a late 34-31 victory, a success in a tight situation like those his team had struggled with on several occasions earlier in the season.

That late comeback and the return of most of his offensive weapons has Reid eager about the start of spring practice and what his team can accomplish this season.

"There's a buzz you can tell around campus, and there's a lot of excitement around our team," (BWAHAHAHAHA! They think they can win :D) Reid said. "But when it comes to reality, we still have a lot of work to do. We're still excited about the bowl game and how we finished. But even with all of the young guys coming back, we still have a lot of hard work to do."

The bulk of OSU's offense returns -- including 100 percent of the rushing and passing yards and 75 percent of the Cowboys' receiving yards. Only wide receiver D'Juan Woods is gone among the major contributors who helped the Cowboys produce 35.2 points (seventh nationally) and 409.8 yards per game (16th nationally).

OSU's biggest area of improvement last season came at quarterback, where Reid finally fulfilled the promise many predicted when he was one of the top recruits ever attracted to the school. Reid passed for 2,266 passing yards and 24 touchdowns and rushed for 500 yards and five more scores last season. He finished as the nation's 16th-best passer and was voted by coaches as the winner of his team's outstanding offensive player award.

Those strong numbers are a big improvement from his injury-riddled freshman season, when he completed only 48.1 percent of his passes and threw more interceptions (four) than touchdown passes (two).

"He was in a difficult situation when he got here," Gundy said. "He was one of the top five recruits in the country, and everybody expected him to everything fast. He got better last year, but what we accomplished last season is over with."

The improvement was particularly noticeable to Reid during film study in the offseason. He said his early work didn't compare with his performance later in the season.

"I made a big jump when I looked at the film of the first game to what we looked like against Alabama," Reid said. "I've been watching my cutups [film study] and saw how I held the ball or how I could have done things differently early in the season. Towards the end of the year, I started understanding how things are. It showed. I was pretty happy with my development."

Reid's productivity mirrored that of the OSU offense. The Cowboys improved by 15 points and 85 yards per game from 2005 to last season. OSU joined Boise State as the only team nationally that averaged more than 200 yards rushing and passing last year.

As much excitement as Reid may have taken from last season's 7-6 finish, he realizes how close the Cowboys were to accomplishing something very special. OSU lost four games in which it had a chance to win the game on the final play.

Gundy has used the close losses as one of his primary teaching points throughout the winter.

"There's no doubt we were really only about six minutes away from winning 10 games last year," Gundy said. (I love the way losers think :P ) "We use that to make our players realize how close we came to winning the South Division. We want to put ourselves in position to win those kind of games."

The Cowboys have gravitated to that mantra, emphasizing their near misses as they prepared for the spring.

"Everything we did was based on those six minutes," Reid said. "[Strength coach Rob Glass] emphasized it in every drill we had -- six minutes for this or that. It made us work harder and really stuck in our heads. Guys were [angry] about how close we were last year and the fact we didn't quite get there. We really used it to hype us up."

A big spring will be important as the Cowboys prepare for a difficult 2007 schedule. Included in their first three games will be tough road games at two opponents who made bowl trips last season, Georgia and Troy.

As much firepower as the Cowboys have coming back, their season will depend on the improvement of the defense (understatement of the year :rolleyes: ), which returns seven starters but has ranked no higher than 64th in total defense nationally since 2000.

A major change will come with the arrival of defensive coordinator Tim Beckman, most recently the cornerbacks coach at Ohio State and before that defensive coordinator on Urban Meyer's staff at Bowling Green.

Beckman inherited a defense that returns all its starters in the secondary but will have to rebuild with new defensive starters. Former defensive coordinator Vance Bedford has moved on to Michigan, where he is defensive backs coach.

"There were times in our positions that we didn't see things the same way," Gundy said. "When we decided to go in different ways, it was as much my fault as it was his. It made my job miserable at times, but I'm sure it did for him, too. But with coach Beckman, we wanted high energy and enthusiasm at practice. It's worked well for us so far."

Gundy hopes the shift at the top will result in a more physical defense that will have an aggressive bent that was missing at times last season.

"We want to be a tougher football team," Gundy said. "That starts with the way the defensive team plays. I want the other team to know they have been hit when we strike them. We want our defense to chase the ball, hit and block. I want a tough defense that will force plays."

The Cowboys are in the middle of an on-campus construction boon funded by gifts headed by billionaire OSU supporter T. Boone Pickens, who donated $165 million to the school's athletic program last year.

"Things are moving fast with our facilities, and we've been able to put together a couple of strong recruiting classes back-to-back," Gundy said. "They are aware they are going to have some of the best football facilities, and winning has started making a difference. The excitement level around the program is higher than it has been before."

Pickens flatly predicted when interviewed on the sideline during the Independence Bowl that the Cowboys one day would be frequent participants in the Bowl Championship Series. That would be a huge step for a program that has made just one trip to a current BCS bowl -- an appearance at the 1974 Fiesta Bowl long before that bowl was considered among the most prestigious postseason games.

Even with that pressure, Gundy is excited about the future of his program.

"That's exactly what you want -- people who are involved to support the team. We want them to think the same way we do," he said. "We have a plan to develop into a consistent Top 25 team that plays in BCS bowls. With the addition of our new facilities and the commitment we have, we've got a way to get there. And if we stay on track and not get in a hurry, we'll develop into a Top 25 team. It can happen."

Tim Griffin covers the Big 12 for the San Antonio Express-News.

That is just funny.

Flagstaffsooner
3/20/2007, 01:10 PM
Pickens flatly predicted when interviewed on the sideline during the Independence Bowl that the Cowboys one day would be frequent participants in the Bowl Championship Series. :D :D :D

WTF! Maybe when is old bones have turned to dust.

bixby28
3/20/2007, 01:14 PM
"Pickens flatly predicted when interviewed on the sideline during the Independence Bowl that the Cowboys one day would be frequent participants in the Bowl Championship Series."

While Pickens is at it, why doesn't he just give me this week's winning lottery numbers ??

OUDoc
3/20/2007, 01:14 PM
He meant the BCS (Boone's Championship Series). He's going to buy osu one next year.

CincySooner
3/20/2007, 01:38 PM
An interesting article no doubt, (espectially T-Boone-stradamous' BCS prediction).

However, I didnt realize they had that much back on offense.

All I can say is I'm glad we get them at home this year.

MichiganSooner
3/20/2007, 01:55 PM
Interesting and funny. #16 in offense. Big deal; there are 11 other teams in the Big 12; maybe #16 is the reason they were last in the South Division. Keep in mind, most of those "big numbers" were built against Missouri State, Arkansas State, Florida Atlantic...

At ******, overheard a guy ask, "will Georgia have a good team next year?" And the response was, "I doubt it and besides we get them early". Aggie doesn't have a clue.

sooner518
3/20/2007, 02:12 PM
http://www.nmnathletics.com.edgesuite.net/ads1/24432.jpg
THE MOST POWERFUL OFFENSE IN THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (and they're on the rise, as usual)

GoState
3/20/2007, 02:32 PM
Keep in mind, most of those "big numbers" were built against Missouri State, Arkansas State, Florida Atlantic...

"Most." "You keep using that word...I do not think it means what you think it means." FYI, here are our total yards per game for last season:

W vs. Missouri State: 447
W vs. Ark State: 346
W vs. FL Atlantic: 470
L vs. Houston: 476
L vs. KSU: 349
W vs. KU: 628
L vs. TAMU: 380
W vs. NU: 518
L vs. UT: 219 (ouch)
W vs. BU: 524
L vs. TT: 385
L vs. OU: 362
W vs. Bama: 419

I'd say having most of our offense back that went over 400 yards a game seven times last season is a good thing. I'd also say that having the big whupping question mark at defense (yet again) will make for some really tough games; we'll probably make Heisman contenders out of several opposing players.

I did a quick scan and saw that OU went over 400 yards 6 times. It would be great to have that kind of offensive and defensive balance.

Edited to add: "That most powerful offense" campaign is the result of an over-zealous marketing person. We're all excited about the offense, but that blurb makes us grimace.

Fraggle145
3/20/2007, 02:34 PM
...At ******, overheard a guy ask, "will Georgia have a good team next year?" And the response was, "I doubt it and besides we get them early". Aggie doesn't have a clue.

UGA is gonna whipe their *** with oswho. Matthew Stafford is gonna be damn good. They may think they have played in big time stadiums, but playing in front of 92,000 between the hedges isa different ball game. Also it is early... you think it gets hot here, take our temp and bump it up to 100% humidity, it is torture in there.

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/20/2007, 02:45 PM
OMG...

The 30k challenge...

:eddie:

Pricetag
3/20/2007, 02:56 PM
"There's a buzz you can tell around campus, and there's a lot of excitement around our team," Reid said.
Sounds an awful lot like Pogi's "It smells different in Stillwater" comment.

Collier11
3/20/2007, 03:18 PM
when 7-6 and a bowl season is something to be excited about, it makes me that much more proud to be a SOONER!!!

Mixer!
3/20/2007, 03:23 PM
Everything on that list should be free, considering they raised their season ticket prices again. How many seasons do they have to be below the Big 12's mendoza line for ST sales before the league threatens them with expulsion?

mdklatt
3/20/2007, 03:36 PM
UGA is gonna whipe their *** with oswho. Matthew Stafford is gonna be damn good. They may think they have played in big time stadiums, but playing in front of 92,000 between the hedges isa different ball game. Also it is early... you think it gets hot here, take our temp and bump it up to 100% humidity, it is torture in there.

Colorado almost handed it to Georgia last year in Athens.

snp
3/20/2007, 03:46 PM
While cameras caught Reid pouting along the OSU sideline about not going back in, backup Zac Robinson nearly led the Cowboys to a late comeback victory over the Sooners. (:rolleyes:)

Um, they were like inches away from that game.

ADs_Agent
3/20/2007, 03:49 PM
OMG...

The 30k challenge...

:eddie:

Bob Stoops calls that a slow Wednesday

TopDawg
3/20/2007, 04:31 PM
Edited to add: "That most powerful offense" campaign is the result of an over-zealous marketing person. We're all excited about the offense, but that blurb makes us grimace.

Over-zealous? Shoot, I think he was selling you all short. Why stop there when you could also add:

Free Admission [check]
Free Parking [check]
Free Toilets [check]
Tailgating [check]
Free Trash Receptacle Use [check]
Concessions[check]
Seats To Sit On [check]
Marching Band [check]
Really Fast Horsie [check]
Cowboy Legends [check]
Team entering through a cattle gate [check]
Spikiest hair in the world [check]
MOST POWERFUL OFFENSE IN THE WORLD!!!11 OMG IT'S SO POWERFUL YOU SHOULD SEE IT I PEED MY PANTS IT'S SO POWERFUL! [check]

Seamus
3/20/2007, 05:27 PM
Colorado almost handed it to Georgia last year in Athens.

Wasn't Stafford a true freshman playing in his first or second game?

SoonerRoads
3/20/2007, 07:23 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2805393

That is just funny.

Someone at OSU or ESPN needs a drug test.

Just my take.

goingoneight
3/20/2007, 07:59 PM
Here's what I'm reading into this...

"A major change will come with the arrival of defensive coordinator Tim Beckman, most recently the cornerbacks coach at Ohio State and before that defensive coordinator on Urban Meyer's staff at Bowling Green."

You want to go from a secondary that got torched by USC to a secondary who got torched by a National Champion? Well, 'baby steps' is the key phrase for them, I guess. :rolleyes:

OSUSam
3/20/2007, 08:34 PM
Here's what I'm reading into this...

"A major change will come with the arrival of defensive coordinator Tim Beckman, most recently the cornerbacks coach at Ohio State and before that defensive coordinator on Urban Meyer's staff at Bowling Green."

You want to go from a secondary that got torched by USC to a secondary who got torched by a National Champion? Well, 'baby steps' is the key phrase for them, I guess. :rolleyes:

I suppose that's like Bo Pellini getting lit up by Leinart & co. but then all of a sudden he's the saviour at LSU.

mdklatt
3/20/2007, 09:25 PM
Wasn't Stafford a true freshman playing in his first or second game?

I don't know, but CU's QB played like that all season.

SoonerGirl06
3/20/2007, 09:31 PM
Those poor Pokes... they actually think they have a chance at winning.

OSUAggie
3/20/2007, 09:45 PM
Why the hell would anyone speak of or write a story about Oklahoma State football? :rolleyes: And then to actually let the players/coaches comment in said story? Ridiculous.

SoonerGirl06
3/20/2007, 09:49 PM
Why the hell would anyone speak of or write a story about Oklahoma State football? :rolleyes: And then to actually let the players/coaches comment in said story? Ridiculous.

They're Aggies... what do you expect?

Fraggle145
3/20/2007, 10:23 PM
I don't know, but CU's QB played like that all season.

Ya he was a true freshman last year... he started off really strong after Joe T went down then had off games vs. CU(W), OleMiss(W), Tenn(L), and Vandy(L), but at the end of the year they blew out Auburn, beat Ga Tech in a defensive struggle and then came back from like 21 down in their bowl game against Va Tech to win. If you have seen him play you know what I mean. It is this raw talent that at the end of the year finally started to come into its own.

insuranceman_22
3/20/2007, 11:04 PM
"Most." "You keep using that word...I do not think it means what you think it means." FYI, here are our total yards per game for last season:

W vs. Missouri State: 447
W vs. Ark State: 346
W vs. FL Atlantic: 470
L vs. Houston: 476
L vs. KSU: 349
W vs. KU: 628
L vs. TAMU: 380
W vs. NU: 518
L vs. UT: 219 (ouch)
W vs. BU: 524
L vs. TT: 385
L vs. OU: 362
W vs. Bama: 419

I'd say having most of our offense back that went over 400 yards a game seven times last season is a good thing. I'd also say that having the big whupping question mark at defense (yet again) will make for some really tough games; we'll probably make Heisman contenders out of several opposing players.

I did a quick scan and saw that OU went over 400 yards 6 times. It would be great to have that kind of offensive and defensive balance.

Bet we send ya home with whipped orange butt this year!

OSUAggie
3/20/2007, 11:57 PM
Ya he was a true freshman last year... he started off really strong after Joe T went down then had off games vs. CU(W), OleMiss(W), Tenn(L), and Vandy(L), but at the end of the year they blew out Auburn, beat Ga Tech in a defensive struggle and then came back from like 21 down in their bowl game against Va Tech to win. If you have seen him play you know what I mean. It is this raw talent that at the end of the year finally started to come into its own.

ok...

Stafford was fine as a frosh, but he's not quite the god you're making him out to be.

Auburn was easily his best game, but outside of that he didn't really play all that well. The Va Tech "comeback" was made a lot easier by Tony Taylor. He was comparable last year to "the idiot" in his freshman year, although he probably wasn't as good and certainly had more freshman-like play than RB.

Fraggle145
3/21/2007, 01:29 AM
ok...

Stafford was fine as a frosh, but he's not quite the god you're making him out to be.

Auburn was easily his best game, but outside of that he didn't really play all that well. The Va Tech "comeback" was made a lot easier by Tony Taylor. He was comparable last year to "the idiot" in his freshman year, although he probably wasn't as good and certainly had more freshman-like play than RB.

I never said he was a god, but he does have a cannon for an arm and was starting to make great decisions with the football by the end of the year (as you would expect from a FR)... you cant deny that. He finished the season beating three ranked teams (all of which have a great defenses, something we all know you lack) including Auburn at their house (by alot). He also lead the comeback drive against Ga Tech and didnt have any interceptions in that game. If you think that having another entire offseason with Mark Richt, who is one of the better coaches for quarterbacks, is not going to improve his play then you are nuts.

OU4LIFE
3/21/2007, 08:08 AM
New OSU war cry Just SIX more minutes!

OklahomaTuba
3/21/2007, 08:23 AM
http://www.nmnathletics.com.edgesuite.net/ads1/24432.jpg
THE MOST POWERFUL OFFENSE IN THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (and they're on the rise, as usual)

Oh dear lord, I just spewed coffee over my keyboard on that one.

OKLA21FAN
3/21/2007, 08:50 AM
New OSU war cry Just SIX more minutes!
"we didn't lose the game, we just ran out of time" ;)

OU4LIFE
3/21/2007, 09:40 AM
http://img1.putfile.com/thumb/3/7910400580.jpg (http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=5035938)

OU4LIFE
3/21/2007, 09:41 AM
Hey, that doesn't look half bad....I'm getting better at this stuff....

watch out Czar.

Taxman71
3/21/2007, 09:44 AM
I think I just heard a puke take credit for inventing the slogan "No Excuses". It was created by the same guy who invented waving the wheat, pistols firing, and the PA guy leading the crowd on first down cheers.

Taxman71
3/21/2007, 09:46 AM
I wonder if TBoone always leaves tickets at will call for Jim Jones?

OSUAggie
3/21/2007, 11:44 AM
I never said he was a god, but he does have a cannon for an arm and was starting to make great decisions with the football by the end of the year (as you would expect from a FR)... you cant deny that. He finished the season beating three ranked teams (all of which have a great defenses, something we all know you lack) including Auburn at their house (by alot). He also lead the comeback drive against Ga Tech and didnt have any interceptions in that game. If you think that having another entire offseason with Mark Richt, who is one of the better coaches for quarterbacks, is not going to improve his play then you are nuts.

Richt also manages to do less with more talent than anybody outside of Ronnie Zook, so I don't really see Stafford as much of a concern. Unless Bobo proves to have control of the offense a little more, I expect UGA to come out and try to pound the ball the whole game (especially since we lost a ton of people up front). I'm sure Stafford will be wonderful in the future, but I don't think he'll be a huge factor in this game.

Snrfn4ever08
3/21/2007, 11:49 AM
http://img1.putfile.com/thumb/3/7910400580.jpg (http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=5035938)
Spek:D

Fraggle145
3/21/2007, 01:23 PM
Richt also manages to do less with more talent than anybody outside of Ronnie Zook, so I don't really see Stafford as much of a concern. Unless Bobo proves to have control of the offense a little more, I expect UGA to come out and try to pound the ball the whole game (especially since we lost a ton of people up front). I'm sure Stafford will be wonderful in the future, but I don't think he'll be a huge factor in this game.

Heh. less with more talent you mean like 2 outright SEC titles in the past 6 years? and 3 SEC east titles? He is one of only nine head coaches in Division I-A history to record 60 or more wins in his first six seasons (61-17), he’s one of only six coaches in history to win two SEC championships (2002, 2005) in his first five years, and one of only five head coaches in SEC history to record four straight 10-win seasons (2002-05).

Yup Mark Richt is a ****ty coach. Might want to get your facts straight. He has less talent than Tennessee and Florida every year, yet somehow... And he is one of the best quaterbacks coaches. Hell Charlie Ward and Chris Wanker won a Hesiman (CW's should have went to Heupel), and David Greene is just the winningest QB in the history of college football.

Compared to what any coach down in stillwater gets accomplished, that is like owning the championship of the world or something, well except that Bobby Peed would have won the heisman if there were six more minutes in every game and if his coaches woulda played him against OU.

Seamus
3/21/2007, 01:33 PM
Heh. less with more talent you mean like 2 outright SEC titles in the past 6 years? and 3 SEC east titles? He is one of only nine head coaches in Division I-A history to record 60 or more wins in his first six seasons (61-17), he’s one of only six coaches in history to win two SEC championships (2002, 2005) in his first five years, and one of only five head coaches in SEC history to record four straight 10-win seasons (2002-05).

Yup Mark Richt is a ****ty coach. Might want to get your facts straight. He has less talent than Tennessee and Florida every year, yet somehow... And he is one of the best quaterbacks coaches. Hell Charlie Ward and Chris Wanker won a Hesiman (CW's should have went to Heupel), and David Greene is just the winningest QB in the history of college football.

Compared to what any coach down in stillwater gets accomplished, that is like owning the championship of the world or something, well except that Bobby Peed would have won the heisman if there were six more minutes in every game and if his coaches woulda played him against OU.

It may take 300 years for the radiation to die from that arse-nuking. Dammmm, what a spanking ...

Fraggle145
3/21/2007, 01:38 PM
It may take 300 years for the radiation to die from that arse-nuking. Dammmm, what a spanking ...

:cool:

Doing what I can to create more :stunned:

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/21/2007, 02:00 PM
4LIFE is a funny, funny man.

:D

OU4LIFE
3/21/2007, 02:01 PM
and hairy. Don't forget hairy.

OU4LIFE
3/21/2007, 02:02 PM
and "large".

OSUAggie
3/21/2007, 02:24 PM

'02: UGA class ranked #3, UT #2, UF #20
'03: UGA class ranked #6 Only SEC E team ahead of him was UF (UTe was #18)
'04: UGA class ranked #6, highest SEC E team
'05: UGA class ranked #10, only UTe higher
'06: UGA class ranked #4, only UF higher

So, how does he have less talent than UF and UTe every year? I know it's more difficult to make a statement when you use facts, but sometimes it's necessary.

He's never beat Tennessee and Florida in the same year (hell, he's only beaten UF once), and at best he's leading the 3rd best program in the Eastern division of the Southeastern Conference. Lemme know when he makes it past the first weekend of November as a title contender...

mdklatt
3/21/2007, 02:47 PM
Oh dear lord, I just spewed coffee over my keyboard on that one.

And that's not even a farked version.

Collier11
3/21/2007, 03:08 PM

So, how does he have less talent than UF and UTe every year? I know it's more difficult to make a statement when you use facts, but sometimes it's necessary.

He's never beat Tennessee and Florida in the same year (hell, he's only beaten UF once), and at best he's leading the 3rd best program in the Eastern division of the Southeastern Conference. Lemme know when he makes it past the first weekend of November as a title contender...

ghey fight!!!

OUALUM0305
3/21/2007, 03:34 PM
[QUOTE=OSUAggie]'02: UGA class ranked #3, UT #2, UF #20

I am just a rookie at this but... based on the 4 classes that you gave Mr Aggie

UTe had a better class 2 of those years
UFL had a better class 2 of those years

Is it not possible or even completely plausible that the recruits from those 2 years made a deeper impact than the ones at UGA. Case in point. OU had a recruiting class (believe it was 03 with Moe Dampeer) and most of the "stars" in that class didn't pan out. They transfered, got hurt, got kicked off the team. Just a thought

wishbonesooner
3/21/2007, 03:47 PM
The two words that will prevent OSU from ever winning a Big 12 or any other title: Mike Gundy.

usmc-sooner
3/21/2007, 03:50 PM
'..

just off the top of my head since UF just won the NC I'm thinking Florida had more talent in that class and the next two to follow.

Guess that's why recruit rankings mean squat. Hell they had Bobby Reid as highly ranked recruit, He's going into his 4th year at OSU and the best he can do is lead a team to 7-6.

Collier11
3/21/2007, 04:30 PM
The two words that will prevent OSU from ever winning a Big 12 or any other title: Mike Gundy.

Actually it is three words. osu!!!

stoopified
3/21/2007, 04:30 PM
Someone at OSU or ESPN needs a drug test.

Just my take.:)

Fraggle145
3/21/2007, 04:43 PM

Funny stuff coming from an aggie, lemme know when you make it out of the 1st week a title contender. When wsa the last time you sniffed a title? a BCS game? When was the last time Mike Gundy beat OU? You seem to have really high standards for every program but your own...

You still say its the third best program in the east, so i guess that would support what I said that it is generally accepted that UGA typically has less talent than UF and Tenn. Sucks when your own "facts" turn against you. We all know recruiting rankings are for the birds anyway most of the time. Funny how you didnt comment on any of the other facts that I brought up about him being one of the better coaches of QBs or the titles they have won.

If anything I would say it is pretty evenly matched between the three. Since 2001 (when Richt started): UGA 3 SEC east titles, UF 1, Tenn 2. Since 2001 the only other SEC east team to win an outright title was UF last year. LSU has won 2, UGA 2, Auburn 1. Still trying to figure out how that is a waste of talent, especially considering that they had been largely irrelevant in terms of the SEC and the national college football picture since Vince Dooley left in 1988. I would argue that Richt is most largely responsible for putting UGA back on the map.

Just get used to it, you are going to lose in Athens next year.

Fraggle145
3/21/2007, 04:58 PM

Philip Fulmer has done this exactly 3 times 2004, 1998 and 1992 his record against Richt is 2-4, hell Fulmer has only beaten UF 5 times since 1992.

Steve Spurrier is the only other coach in recent history that has been able to win both of those games in the same season consistently (doing it 7 times).

So basically what that tells me is ya Richt needs to beat UF more, which just got much harder now that they got a good coach, but it isnt an easy thing to beat even one of those teams in a year and so when you beat both of them in the same year that is saying something special. Also the UGA/UF series is one that has historically gone in long cycles of wins and losses, never know when that can turn around.

OSUAggie
3/21/2007, 06:40 PM
I'm not saying that Richt isn't a good coach, just saying that I believe he should be doing much more than backing into SEC titles with the talent he's assembled. I know the big, bad SEC is the most ridiculously difficult conference in the history of the world :rolleyes:, especially in the East, but you would think that if he was such an unbelievable QB mentor and the awesomest coach in SEC history he'd at least play for a national title. I guess I don't put as much stock into conference titles as most (because you can back into a conference title, which cannot be done for a national title). Urban managed to walk into that league and win a title in his 2nd year.

I thought this was about UGA/Richt, not Oklahoma State football. The standards are quite a bit higher at UGA than they are at OSU. They expect to be competing for national titles, and they haven't been able to do that under Richt. Although he's been a huge step up from the previous regime, I don't know if he has the ability to win anything other than an SEC title. If he does, fine, I just haven't seen it yet.

oufan1
3/21/2007, 06:54 PM
I'm not saying that Richt isn't a good coach, just saying that I believe he should be doing much more than backing into SEC titles with the talent he's assembled. I know the big, bad SEC is the most ridiculously difficult conference in the history of the world :rolleyes:, especially in the East, but you would think that if he was such an unbelievable QB mentor and the awesomest coach in SEC history he'd at least play for a national title. I guess I don't put as much stock into conference titles as most (because you can back into a conference title, which cannot be done for a national title). Urban managed to walk into that league and win a title in his 2nd year.

I thought this was about UGA/Richt, not Oklahoma State football. The standards are quite a bit higher at UGA than they are at OSU. They expect to be competing for national titles, and they haven't been able to do that under Richt. Although he's been a huge step up from the previous regime, I don't know if he has the ability to win anything other than an SEC title. If he does, fine, I just haven't seen it yet.

You dont "back into conference titles" thats just something losers who dont win it say. Its a full year schedule and the team with the best performance overall wins. We don't say Tiger Woods backed into a major if he has a so-so first couple of rounds but has an amazing last two and wins. He wins because he plays the best overall. I know that is tough for a Boone Farms State fan to understand but the rest of us have to play more than one game a year.

Fraggle145
3/21/2007, 08:10 PM

In his second year 2002, he went 13-1 just like UF did this year, however UGA wasnt as lucky as florida was to not have 2 teams without losses in front of them. And I never said the SEC is any tougher than the big XII. Do you think OU backed into its conference title this year? No, we were the best overall in the big XII. Conference titles arent that easy to win, just ask Texas this year.

I think one of the big problems is that you make it sound so easy to win a national title. The reason why I brought up OSU as a comparison was I found it funny that you would hold another program to one standard and yourself to different lesser standard, yet many of your partners in crime continue to say you are on the rise and on your way... just 6 minutes. Also by comparison the steps that Richt has taken with his program from the mediocrity it was in are leaps and bounds ahead of the steps taken by Gundy after Les Miles.

mdklatt
3/21/2007, 08:37 PM
You dont "back into conference titles" thats just something losers who dont win it say.

Something else losers say: "We were six minutes away from a ten-win season."

:stunned:

We really need a :gumby:.

mdklatt
3/21/2007, 08:43 PM
And I never said the SEC is any tougher than the big XII.

It probably was last year. Oof. :O

Do you think OU backed into its conference title this year?

I believe the prevailing aggy theory this year is that we benefitted from biased coverage by the local sports media. Aggy is just one favorable Barry Trammel column (and six minutes) away from glory!

Fraggle145
3/21/2007, 08:56 PM
It probably was last year. Oof. :O

I would agree, but it isnt always. Just dont want to be labeled an SEC person :mad: , because I am not :D .

goingoneight
3/21/2007, 10:03 PM
The BIG 12 was a damn dominant league in terms of physicality and big-play teams right around the time Stoops came around, till about 2004 it was tough, now it's just ridiculous (and by that I mean WAC teams are playing with it's conference champs). It will probably always be a three-way race with Nebraska dragging and flopping behind OU and UT. But Colorado was doing good for theirselves (considering they have virtually no fan support on any given year), Nebbish didn't win an MNC, but they got to one, and were ranked #1 twice when we played them in 2000 and 2001, Tejas, well-- everyone knows :mack:'s story, aTm, pre-Fran, was okay but started to slide (still good for an aggie). Hell, even :stunned: was good when Miles was there.