PDA

View Full Version : Night 2 in the new house, ALARM!!!!

TopDaugIn2000
3/20/2007, 12:46 PM
My house is wired with an alarm system, but of course I haven't gotten service yet. I have someone coming out to look at it and discuss service with tomorrow. I didn't even know if the thing worked. Thsi morning at 2:00 I woke up to a rapid beeping noise, I thought it must've been the smoke detector. I jumped out of bed and stumbled towards the noise, only to discover it was my alarm going off. I started smashing buttons, it would stop for about 2 to 3 seconds, then start again. I tried to pull the panel off the wall, no luck. I finally got out the phone book and called ADT (their stickers are everywhere) and got a tech guy that apparently rode the short bus to work. Basically he said that the alarm still works, but since I don't have service, they won't respond. I told him I didn't care, I just want the damn thing shut off! He kept asking me for info that I obviously wouldn't have (codes, passwords, etc). And finally I got thru to him that it was my second night in the house and this thing needed to be silenced NOW. He had me punch some buttons and said the reason that it was going off is because it wasn't hooked to a phone line (my phone won't be installed until tomorrow), but I can't understand that because the house has been empty since september! Why is it all of a sudden going off NOW?!?!?!?! After 30 minutes of troubleshooting we finally got the alarm turned off by disconnection the power and also the battery backup and I was able to get another hour or so of sleep. ARGH. :mad:

NormanPride
3/20/2007, 12:53 PM
Man, that sucks! At least you know it will work when it needs to?

IB4OU2
3/20/2007, 12:55 PM
Another good reason God made shotguns.

JohnnyMack
3/20/2007, 01:26 PM
My best friend is a cop. He says ADT stands for Another Damn Trip, because of having to respond to all the false alarms.

If nothing else I wouldn't use ADT for monitoring.

sooner_born_1960
3/20/2007, 01:29 PM
You don't need monitoring. Just keep the signs that say it is being monitored.

TopDaugIn2000
3/20/2007, 01:31 PM
My best friend is a cop. He says ADT stands for Another Damn Trip, because of having to respond to all the false alarms.

If nothing else I wouldn't use ADT for monitoring.

another company is coming out tomorrow, but I can't remember the name of them. I just called ADT becuse their stickers are plastered about.

MamaMia
3/20/2007, 02:03 PM
Its obvious. You're house is haunted. :eek:

dolemitesooner
3/20/2007, 02:14 PM
out

BajaOklahoma
3/20/2007, 07:47 PM
Now that you know where the alarm power box is located, be sure to keep it clear for quick access. Thunderstorms are known to trigger ours.

Zbird
3/20/2007, 08:49 PM
Man, that sucks! At least you know it will work when it needs to?

No, when it DOESN'T need to.

:D

AlbqSooner
3/20/2007, 08:56 PM
Same thing happened to me one night. I never got around to calling ADT. Instead I disconnected the power (no help), ripped the thing off the wall (no help), pulled out the battery (still beeping), and took a pair of wire cutters and clipped the wires. That shut it off. I eventually repaired the hole in the wall, bought a couple of smoke alarms, and left the ADT signs on the windows, doors, and in the yard. I have the wall unit in the garage so that when I get ready to sell this place I can mount it on the wall with no connections and walk away clean.

rufnek05
3/20/2007, 09:12 PM
at least you could turn it off. in walker my freshman year, the alarm went off 5 times between 2am and 6am. and that sucked

TopDaugIn2000
3/21/2007, 07:56 AM
at least you could turn it off. in walker my freshman year, the alarm went off 5 times between 2am and 6am. and that sucked

I remember that.......00-01 year?

I was on Walker 7, I quit going downstairs about the 3rd alarm.