PDA

View Full Version : Osceloa @ Slickdawg - 6PM tonight

slickdawg
3/20/2007, 11:43 AM
Bulldogs Host Seminoles In NIT Quarterfinals With Trip To New York On Line
03/19/2007

STARKVILLE, Miss. - With a trip to next week's National Invitation Tournament Semifinals in New York City on the line, the top-seeded Bulldogs of Mississippi State (20-13, 8-8 SEC) play host to the second-seeded Florida State Seminoles (22-12, 7-9 ACC) in Tuesday's quarterfinal-round action of the 2007 MasterCard NIT on the MSU campus. Tip-off time for Tuesday's championship game of the NIT's North region bracket is set for 6 p.m. CT at MSU's Humphrey Coliseum, and the eighth all-time series meeting between MSU and FSU will be televised live by ESPN.

Due to ESPN's telecast of Tuesday's MSU-FSU MasterCard NIT contest, there will be no video streaming available for the game in accordance with ESPN's broadcasting rights. However, live audio will be available through Maroon to the Max, MSU's premium streaming service.

Having secured their sixth 20-win season under coach Rick Stansbury's guidance, along with earning a share of their third SEC Western Division championship in the last five years, the 20-13 Bulldogs have made their way to this year's NIT Quarterfinals by claiming double-figure home triumphs over Mississippi Valley State (82-63) and Bradley (101-72) last week. In NIT action thus far, MState's all-SEC tandem of Jamont Gordon (16.2 ppg, 7.2 rpg & 5.2 apg) and Charles Rhodes (13.8 ppg, 6.1 rpg & 1.9 bpg) are both averaging 19.0 points per NIT contest while combining for 30-of-46 field-goal shooting (65%) between them. Gordon is also averaging 9.0 assists and 7.5 rebounds in postseason tournament action, while Rhodes is contributing 6.0 boards and 5.0 blocks per game in addition to shooting 68 percent (15-of-22 FGs) from the field during NIT play.

Guided by fifth-year head coach Leonard Hamilton, the Seminoles of Florida State own a 22-12 overall record on the year and finished in a tie for eighth place (with Clemson) in the ACC standings with a 7-9 league mark. Having prevailed in five of its last six decisions, FSU has advanced to Tuesday's North region championship game of the MasterCard NIT by registering twin-digit home victories over Toledo (77-61) and Michigan (87-66) last week. The Seminoles are paced by senior forward Al Thornton, FSU's All-ACC First-Team selection and ACC Player of the Year runner-up who is leading the team in scoring (19.8 ppg), rebounding (7.2 rpg), steals (50) and blocks (38). Sophomore guard Toney Douglas, a former transfer from Auburn, is averaging 12.7 points per game for the Seminoles.

With Florida State owning a slight 4-3 all-time series edge over MSU through the years, the most recent hardwood meeting between the teams resulted in a 69-58 Seminole victory in the consolation semifinals of the 1998 Outrigger Hotels Rainbow Classic held in Honolulu, Hawaii. Tuesday's meeting with Florida State will serve as a 'rubber match' of sorts for the Bulldogs, as they split previous road decisions with ACC foes Clemson (69-66 loss on Nov. 21) and Miami of Florida (70-52 win on Dec. 11) earlier this season.

The winner of Tuesday's MSU-FSU contest will advance to next week's National Semifinals of the 2007 MasterCard NIT by taking on the winner of Tuesday's West Virginia-North Carolina State matchup the following Tuesday (March 27) at New York's famed Madison Square Garden. The NIT championship game will be held next Thursday (March 29). Next week's NIT semifinals and championship contest will all be televised live by ESPN.

:pop:

Osce0la
3/20/2007, 11:50 AM
Al Thornton's going to light it up
http://img460.imageshack.us/img460/2316/althornton1wj8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Everyone look for me on ESPN :D Seeing as how I'll be one of only like 10 Seminole fans in Starkville, if they show any FSU fans there is a good chance it'll be me. I just hope like hell I never have a stunned face tonight :D

slickdawg
3/20/2007, 12:39 PM
Just remember the 6'4" guard, trapped in a linebackers body.

http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/658045f2-55c0-4340-827e-a7e229f4d6ee.jpg

slickdawg
3/20/2007, 08:42 PM
STARKVILLE, Miss. - Mississippi State (21-13) handed visiting Florida State (22-13) an 86-71 defeat Tuesday night in the quarterfinals of the National Invitation Tournament. With the win, State punched its ticket to its first-ever NIT semifinal, which will be held next Tuesday, March 27, at Madison Square Garden in New York City.

For the second time this season, six Bulldogs scored in double figures. First-team all-SEC selection Jamont Gordon led the charge, notching 16 points, seven assists, and six rebounds on the evening.

Florida State saw junior guard Isaiah Swann dominate offensively, who recorded a career-high 31 points on 10-of-17 shooting from the field, including a 9-of-13 effort from behind the arc.

:texan: :texan: :texan: :texan: :texan: :texan: :texan: :texan: :texan: :texan: :texan: :texan:

Osce0la
3/21/2007, 11:56 AM
Yeah, we were pretty bad. I think we had 25 turnovers and Thornton made a lot of boneheaded decisions defensively