PDA

View Full Version : I'm saving up to build an extra bathroom, so I'm going to mow my own lawn

MamaMia
3/20/2007, 11:10 AM
But first I need to buy myself a lawn mower that will catch the grass in the back yard and mulch the front. Then I will need one of those weed eater looking things that can edge. What are they called?

I don't want to spend a fortune, nor do I need a riding mower, because my lawn isn't all that big, plus I would just have a wreak. I'm open for suggestions.

Please keep in mind that my town just has an Ace Hardware, a small Sears, a Walmart and an Atwoods who carry lawn mowers and whatnots.

rufnek05
3/20/2007, 11:19 AM
But first I need to buy myself a lawn mower that will catch the grass in the back yard and mulch the front. Then I will need one of those weed eater looking things that can edge. What are they called?

I don't want to spend a fortune, nor do I need a riding mower, because my lawn isn't all that big. I'm open for suggestions.

Please keep in mind that my town just has an Ace Hardware, a small Sears, a Walmart and an Atwoods who carry lawn mowers and whatnots.

atwoods carries mowers with brigs and straton engins, we've always used them. good mowers. basica up keep and they will last for a long time

jk the sooner fan
3/20/2007, 11:25 AM
i have a toro from home depot that i like, however if i had to do it over again, the bag would be on the side rather than the back

mdklatt
3/20/2007, 11:25 AM
Then I will need one of those weed eater looking things that can edge. What are they called?

Edgers. :D

Newbomb Turk
3/20/2007, 11:33 AM
i have a toro from home depot that i like, however if i had to do it over again, the bag would be on the side rather than the back

I just bought a Toro from H.D. Haven't even used it - hope I like it.

Do they even make mowers with the bag on the side anymore?

IB4OU2
3/20/2007, 11:34 AM
Edgers. :D

Weed Eaters. :D

Flagstaffsooner
3/20/2007, 11:37 AM
The oSu coeds will be free for the summer.
http://www.infonavigate.com/travels/sheep-and-wool-festival-maryland/DSCN2495%20-%20Sheep.jpg

IB4OU2
3/20/2007, 11:42 AM
God forbid she has to ditch the Pool boy too.......:eek:

MamaMia
3/20/2007, 11:52 AM
Flag, I don't think the goat is such a good idea. He may cause more problems than he would solve. :D

Okay, so whats the pros and cons about a side bag as opposed to the other kind, which I guess is called what, a rear or back bag? jk, why do you not like the back ones?

And is it an "edger" or a "weed eater" or is there some kind of combo thing I could get that will edge real easy like? I do need a good edging thing because of all the concrete around the veranda and the pool.
God forbid she has to ditch the Pool boy too.......:eek:Oh no. I still need that pool boy. He serves more than one purpose. :P

sooner_born_1960
3/20/2007, 11:55 AM
I like rear baggers because they fit into tighter spots (shutup, pervs), and you can go around things from either direction.
I have separate weed-eater, edger devices.

mdklatt
3/20/2007, 11:57 AM
And is it an "edger" or a "weed eater" or is there some kind of combo thing I could get that will edge real easy like? I do need a good edging thing because of all the concrete around the veranda and the pool.

You can edge with a weed eater; just hold it vertically. You can buy a simple (i.e. cheap) edger, too. It's just a blade and a wheel on a stick. If you have real thick grass like St. Augustine, or Bermuda that shoots runners everywhere, you may want something that's powered.

sooner_born_1960
3/20/2007, 11:57 AM
I'd offer to mow it for you for free, but then my wife would want me to mow hers too. :)

MamaMia
3/20/2007, 11:58 AM
Don't they have some light weight kind of edger thing that you can roll?

mdklatt
3/20/2007, 12:00 PM
Don't they have some light weight kind of edger thing that you can roll?

You can buy a simple (i.e. cheap) edger, too. It's just a blade and a wheel on a stick.

Why yes, yes they do!

MamaMia
3/20/2007, 12:00 PM
You can edge with a weed eater; just hold it vertically. You can buy a simple (i.e. cheap) edger, too. It's just a blade and a wheel on a stick. If you have real thick grass like St. Augustine, or Bermuda that shoots runners everywhere, you may want something that's powered.Oh, I guess this answers my question. Whats the best brand in my price range? I don't want a cheapy thats going to fall apart but I don't need a real expensive one either.

TopDaugIn2000
3/20/2007, 12:03 PM
hit garage sales and pawn shops if you really want to save $$$$

as far as lawn mowers, I have an inherited Lawn Boy that is older than I am. Fires up on the first crank and mows like a champ. Wouldn't get rid of it for anything.

okiehawk
3/20/2007, 12:05 PM
I would go with a Toro personal pace mower,good bang for the buck.As far as the weed eater / edger I have one for each but there are some combo`s out there that have different attachments for jobs (edge,weed eat,trim hedge etc.)

MamaMia
3/20/2007, 12:22 PM
Aren't those Toros expensive?

jk the sooner fan
3/20/2007, 12:27 PM
Flag, I don't think the goat is such a good idea. He may cause more problems than he would solve. :D

Okay, so whats the pros and cons about a side bag as opposed to the other kind, which I guess is called what, a rear or back bag? jk, why do you not like the back ones?

And is it an "edger" or a "weed eater" or is there some kind of combo thing I could get that will edge real easy like? I do need a good edging thing because of all the concrete around the veranda and the pool.Oh no. I still need that pool boy. He serves more than one purpose. :P

ok

1. thats a sheep, not a goat

2. while i do like the rear baggers for the same reason that 1960 does, the thing i dont like about them is when you take it off to dump the grass catchings, 1/4th of the bag pours out while you're unhooking it.....

3. so the side bag would speed up that part of the operation but it limits you to mowing against an edge on one side of the mower

Mjcpr
3/20/2007, 12:28 PM
I have a Black and Decker edger and it has worked fine for years and wasn't very expensive. However, it works best in a straight line. If you have a lot of rounded sidewalk in the pool area, a weed eater may work better.

http://ace.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pACE-1046070reg.jpg

jk the sooner fan
3/20/2007, 12:28 PM
oh, and i have a gas powered edger.....the time that i save using that is SOOOOOO worth the money i spent on it....i do have a little rechargeable weedeater that i use to get stuff around the house and fence, and the parts of the curb that the edger wont get

i used to use all electrical (cept for a gas mower)......everything is gas now

TopDaugIn2000
3/20/2007, 12:29 PM
while i do like the rear baggers for the same reason that 1960 does....

kinky:texan:

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/20/2007, 12:29 PM
I have a Black and Decker edger and it has worked fine for years and wasn't very expensive. However, it works best in a straight line. If you have a lot of rounded sidewalk in the pool area, a weed eater may work better.

Perv.

sanantoniosooner
3/20/2007, 12:34 PM
ok

2. while i do like the rear baggers for the same reason that 1960 does, the thing i dont like about them is when you take it off to dump the grass catchings, 1/4th of the bag pours out while you're unhooking it.....

3. so the side bag would speed up that part of the operation but it limits you to mowing against an edge on one side of the mower
Dump the bag before it's totally full.

We have a Toro rear bagger and my wife doesn't have a problem dumping the grass:D

Toro personal pace is an awesome mower for the ladies. Starts very easy. Self propelled in a very simple manner.

NormanPride
3/20/2007, 12:34 PM
Perv.

Prude.

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/20/2007, 12:35 PM
Hee hee...

jk the sooner fan
3/20/2007, 12:35 PM
Dump the bag before it's totally full.

We have a Toro rear bagger and my wife doesn't have a problem dumping the grass:D

Toro personal pace is an awesome mower for the ladies. Starts very easy. Self propelled in a very simple manner.

even when its not full, some comes out, you have to lift it from the back in an upward motion

gravity sorta takes over at that point

sanantoniosooner
3/20/2007, 12:37 PM
And for MOM.

A weed eater (generic term) that has attachments is a good thing to have.

Mine has a string trimmer, edger, blower, and eventually I'll get the pruning attachment.

sanantoniosooner
3/20/2007, 12:38 PM
even when its not full, some comes out, you have to lift it from the back in an upward motion

gravity sorta takes over at that point
Maybe we're just better at it than you.;)

mdklatt
3/20/2007, 12:39 PM
even when its not full, some comes out

Sounds like your chute is getting packed....

jk the sooner fan
3/20/2007, 12:39 PM
dude, if you've got your wife trained to mow the grass,

then yes, yes you are

Mjcpr
3/20/2007, 12:40 PM
Sounds like your chute is getting packed....

I thought Howzit was in California this week?

TopDaugIn2000
3/20/2007, 12:40 PM
I love to mow, weed eat, edge, garden, etc. I just need to find someone willing to do the indoor housework.

MamaMia
3/20/2007, 12:45 PM
ok

My goodness, that is a sheep. Being an OU Sooner instead of an osu cowboy, I really have no call to brush up on my farm animals. :P

New York is where I'd rather stay. I get allergic smelling hay. ;)

It spills from the back?! That would be awful. Maybe they have some brand of mower that slants in a way it won't spill?

NormanPride
3/20/2007, 12:48 PM
Aren't there mowers out there that cut the grass so finely that there's no need to bag it up?

TopDaugIn2000
3/20/2007, 12:49 PM
Aren't there mowers out there that cut the grass so finely that there's no need to bag it up?

mulching type

jk the sooner fan
3/20/2007, 12:53 PM
yeah a mulcher will do that, which is what i have, but there are times when you dont want to mulch.....like sunday when i scalped the yard......dormant bermuda grass is a bitch to rake

MamaMia
3/20/2007, 01:01 PM
yeah a mulcher will do that, which is what i have, but there are times when you dont want to mulch.....like sunday when i scalped the yard......dormant bermuda grass is a bitch to rakeWe use to have the lawn people mulch the back but the dogs would track grass into the kitchen when they would come back in through the doggie door. The grass also flies into the pool if its not bagged.

jk the sooner fan
3/20/2007, 01:08 PM
mulching is a good deal, but now and then you should give your lawn a break and catch it

Jimminy Crimson
3/20/2007, 03:30 PM
Seriously? I'm the first one?

:chicken:

C&CDean
3/20/2007, 03:50 PM
It'll be cheaper to just keep paying the lawn boy.

skycat
3/20/2007, 04:05 PM
It'll be cheaper to just keep paying the lawn boy.

If you only plan on mowing your own yard for one or two years, Dean is probably right.

MamaMia
3/20/2007, 10:18 PM
If you only plan on mowing your own yard for one or two years, Dean is probably right. A fellow at the clinic said that too, so I added it up. I paid $1400.00 last year for mowing and edging at about $40.00 a week from the first week of April to the last week of October. The scalpings were double. I bought all the fertilizers and paid extra to have all that spread as well. I'm also going to do all my own fertilizer granule spreading too. That will be a big savings. I already have my own rolling whirler machine.

I found out today that you can get mowers that are self propelled. You don't even have to push them! Thats a feature I decided to get. :D

VeeJay
3/20/2007, 10:41 PM
Hey, MamaMia - does the Mister around your Home Twenty take any interest in the yard upkeep?

It sounds as if that is of the negative.

I can't imagine Mrs. VJ out in the yard, pushing a broadcast spreader full of Turf Builder or Bonus S. I reckon we all have our porpoises in life.

olevetonahill
3/21/2007, 12:25 AM
So why you need an extra ****ter ?

soonerboomer93
3/21/2007, 01:04 AM
Seriously? I'm the first one?

:chicken:

dude, it's mom, haven't we perved her up enough already?

IB4OU2
3/21/2007, 07:47 AM
I already have my own rolling whirler machine.

:D Yes mom I have my own RWM too...:D

MamaMia
3/21/2007, 10:36 AM
Hey, MamaMia - does the Mister around your Home Twenty take any interest in the yard upkeep?

It sounds as if that is of the negative.

I can't imagine Mrs. VJ out in the yard, pushing a broadcast spreader full of Turf Builder or Bonus S. I reckon we all have our porpoises in life.He does help me with the gardening which is a really big job and very time consuming. We enjoy doing that together every year. We both love to plant things and watch them mature. Hes just not into mowing and edging anymore like he use to be, plus he really doesn't have enough time. The clinic cant run at all without him because someone has to be the dentist, whereas if I stay home from work to do yard chores, its quite alright. :D