PDA

View Full Version : You know what I think would make a better movie that BSU's idea?

goingoneight
3/19/2007, 10:21 PM
A story about PT and his career at OU. Think about it, he turns down "that local Tejas team" (Hook 'em for reference) to fulfill his dream of being a college QB. Everyone knows his story, he sits and waits, he backs up, he redshirts, not so much redshirts, then plays backup again. When he finally gets his shot, some arrogant little ***** takes his job because of a nervous first-time start. Again, he does whatever it takes to help the team and plays WR and on ST. Then the arrogant one gets the boot, and all of a sudden he's gotta be humble and return to the position he waited four years to play. He takes his team through a tumultuous season, but ultimately pulls his army together to become conference champions. All seems well until a loss in his final game.

Think about it... some of the greatest sports stories don't always end with a crystal ball. Friday Night Lights for example. Seems to me that there is so much to tell about this guy, what he went through, and to take it with such class is awesome, IMHO.

Seems to me the underdog card has been played one too many times; Rudy, Remember the Titans, etc. Well, I'm no producer, nor am I a director... but if this ain't a good movie idea, it's a great novel idea. Switzer's career didn't end super-great either, but he's still a legend and a stroy worth telling about.

goingoneight
3/19/2007, 10:25 PM
Add in the fact that people harassed him when VY won the MNC and told him (PT) he'd never win anything worth mention as a QB... The OU-Nebraska (first time ever CCG game against eachother, the storied rivalry returs). Seems to me this story is about as rich as Josh Heupel's National Championship run in 2000.

Soonerman08
3/19/2007, 11:05 PM
The only story even better than that one is they still need to make a movie about Bud Wilkinson and
call it "47"

goingoneight
3/19/2007, 11:07 PM
Yep, the "feel good movie of the year." :D

85Sooner
3/20/2007, 10:10 AM
YEah it is a great story.

footballfanatic
3/20/2007, 10:31 AM
I'm assuming his performance in the biggest game of his career against Boise State would be left out of the movie.

MojoRisen
3/20/2007, 11:01 AM
I think the Bosie one is a feel good money maker- Pauls story could win the academy award!

Brian's Song, a love story, tragic or triumphant????? I like the story line behind PT and a big 12 championship which ussually eqautes to a shot at the Crystal Ball!

theboz44
3/20/2007, 12:52 PM
PT didn't get near enough credit for what he did last year....guy had ice in his veins and pulled us outta the worst year of karma in the history of OU football...hope the guy comes back to coach qbs after the nfl

BASSooner
3/20/2007, 01:46 PM
uhhh what about a movie on how quick we came back in 2000, with underrated players...

StuIsTheMan
3/20/2007, 02:37 PM
The only story even better than that one is they still need to make a movie about Bud Wilkinson and
call it "47"

AGREED...They made one about Bear...why not Bud...and I love the title.

william_brasky
3/20/2007, 03:10 PM
A documentary about Hemorrhoid medical procedures.

stoopified
3/21/2007, 05:22 PM
call it "47"Abso-freaking-lutely!

OU-HSV
3/21/2007, 08:21 PM
IN

Eielson
3/21/2007, 08:43 PM
When he finally gets his shot, some arrogant little ***** takes his job because of a nervous first-time start.

Um, I know I'll get negged for this but I don't really care since I'm already extremely low but I'm big believer in the fact that he got benched that that arrogant little ***** because he sucked, and not because he was nervous.

Seamus
3/21/2007, 09:22 PM
Neg jihad commencing in T-minus ...

goingoneight
3/21/2007, 09:29 PM
uhhh what about a movie on how quick we came back in 2000, with underrated players...
Someone wanna give him one of the hundreds of links on this topic? :)

Agreed, though.

OU-HSV
3/22/2007, 10:53 AM
Um, I know I'll get negged for this but I don't really care since I'm already extremely low but I'm big believer in the fact that he got benched that that arrogant little ***** because he sucked, and not because he was nervous.
Hit that nail on the head.
ENA didn't suck. He showed in '06 what he could've done in '05 if he would have had more of an opportunity. But great input :rolleyes:

Spanish Sooner
3/22/2007, 12:05 PM
I dont want to see a movie on the 47 I want to see an up 5 part mini series multimedia extravaganza detailing each ear seperately and what not...yeah, make it hardcore awesome and much longer than any sport movie ever, and give it the record for longest sports movie ever, hopefully another streak that will never be broken.

Eielson
3/22/2007, 12:43 PM
Hit that nail on the head.
ENA didn's suck. He showed in '06 what he could've done in '05 if he would have had more of an opportunity. But great input :rolleyes:

One, that is also a year later and two he wasn't anything special. He got beat out, he didn't have the position stolen from him.

As much as I love quarterbacks who manage to overthrow or underthrow everything and throw 3 ints in bowl games against a less than great defense, I don't think he was that good.

OU-HSV
3/22/2007, 03:58 PM
One, that is also a year later and two he wasn't anything special. He got beat out, he didn't have the position stolen from him.

As much as I love quarterbacks who manage to overthrow or underthrow everything and throw 3 ints in bowl games against a less than great defense, I don't think he was that good. I'm not saying it was stolen from him...I'm saying what if they would've stuck with him for a couple of games (in '05) instead of yanking him for good during the TCU game? He could've made himself into something more special than he was already in '06. If you don't think the guy was something special then we may as well stop talking about it now, cause we'll never see eye to eye on it. He had a hell of an '06 season with all that had happened and to come in and play as solid as he did...and somehow you don't see that as special? He did everything the coaches asked him to do and then some. He started the season w/a freakish RB to take some of the pressure off him...and even when AD got hurt, Paul still played very productive.
Oh and to say he overthrew and underthrew everything is not true either. I'll admit he tended to throw a little high, but look at his numbers (personal stats and wins vs. losses), he got the job done.
I was shocked at his passes in that bowl game as anyone else was. He definitely threw some poor passes in that game. I hope people remember him for what he did the whole season to get us to that bowl game and not so much for a bad performance in that one game.

Seamus
3/22/2007, 06:54 PM
As much as I love quarterbacks who manage to overthrow or underthrow everything and throw 3 ints in bowl games against a less than great defense, I don't think he was that good.

The 7:15 for Austin is leaving pretty soon, in case there are any other players you'd like to throw under the bus ...

goingoneight
3/22/2007, 08:04 PM

I count it as two INT's, cuz one was tipped at the line, can't really hate a guy for dumb luck like that. And the one taken in for 6 looked like a bad throw, but if you'll watch the film, his WR ran a completely different direction than the ball broke. Face it, it was horrid luck and miscommunication... I thought we all agreed that OU 2006 was oficially declared the "UNluckiest team EVAR!!!"

And a "less than great" defense would have allowed a helluva lot more than just 75 yards rushing against Adrian Peterson.

I'm not making excuses for the loss, a lesser team would have let those balls hit the ground, instead, they capitalized and put is in too deep to take over in the game.

Eielson
3/23/2007, 12:42 AM
I'm not saying it was stolen from him...I'm saying what if they would've stuck with him for a couple of games (in '05) instead of yanking him for good during the TCU game? He could've made himself into something more special than he was already in '06. If you don't think the guy was something special then we may as well stop talking about it now, cause we'll never see eye to eye on it. He had a hell of an '06 season with all that had happened and to come in and play as solid as he did...and somehow you don't see that as special? He did everything the coaches asked him to do and then some. He started the season w/a freakish RB to take some of the pressure off him...and even when AD got hurt, Paul still played very productive.
Oh and to say he overthrew and underthrew everything is not true either. I'll admit he tended to throw a little high, but look at his numbers (personal stats and wins vs. losses), he got the job done.
I was shocked at his passes in that bowl game as anyone else was. He definitely threw some poor passes in that game. I hope people remember him for what he did the whole season to get us to that bowl game and not so much for a bad performance in that one game.

Okay, I respect the guy for doing what he did for the team and I'm glad we had him because we would've had no chance at winning the Big 12 Championship with Halzle at QB.

However, if Bradford or Nichol (whoever gets the spot) only panned out to be as good as Thompson I would be very dissapointed.

OU-HSV
3/23/2007, 07:56 AM
Okay, I respect the guy for doing what he did for the team and I'm glad we had him because we would've had no chance at winning the Big 12 Championship with Halzle at QB.

However, if Bradford or Nichol (whoever gets the spot) only panned out to be as good as Thompson I would be very dissapointed.
Well yeah. But, we're talking about two different breeds of football talents and two different situations. Paul had the athletic ability to play DB, WR or QB. He wasn't a definite QB (although I'm pretty certain we recruited him as a QB), while other schools wanted him as a DB. But Halzle, Bradford, and Nichol are strictly QB material...they will practice strictly as QBs and play only as QBs. Paul as we all know, hadn't thrown a pass in damn near a year or longer because he switched to WR.
So, I guess the point I'm trying to make is that Nichol and Bradford will be QBs throughout their whole college careers. They will have no seasons in which they don't throw a pass for a year and then all of a sudden they're asked to knock the rust off and be the starting QB. And the only reason your original comment got me p*ssed off is because you stated that Paul lost the job "because he sucked"...and you said he overthrew and underthrew everything.

Eielson
3/25/2007, 02:03 PM
And the only reason your original comment got me p*ssed off is because you stated that Paul lost the job "because he sucked"...and you said he overthrew and underthrew everything.

Overthrew and underthrew everything in the bowl game.

Against TCU, he did suck. He turned out to be an okay quarterback and all, but Rhett Bomar would've been much better had he not been the head case he was.

goingoneight
3/25/2007, 07:36 PM
Overthrew and underthrew everything in the bowl game.

Against TCU, he did suck. He turned out to be an okay quarterback and all, but Rhett Bomar would've been much better had he not been the head case he was.

Yes, he had three picks and a fumble. Two of those were tipped, and one was a WR nowhere near the ball he threw, so that could have been a mistake on Quentin Chaney or Juaqin Iglesias's part. Those things happen. But to say he overthrew or underthrew everything is crazy talk. If we didn't abandon the running game and start thrwoing the ball like we did, Boise would have had it in the bag by the third quarter.

And against TCU, everyone was teh succ. Even AD admitted to overlooking TCU. Nobody had anything worthy of mention against TCU.

Scott D
3/25/2007, 07:38 PM
seriously, watching ****ing paint dry would be more interesting than BSU's idear.

goingoneight
3/25/2007, 08:09 PM
It's not that BSU's idea isn't special, but it means nothing to the average football fan. That "underdog" story has been played more times than the 11th Street Special. You never see a story about someone getting ousted like PT from QB in 2005 after waiting so long to play, then being classy enough to help those same players and coaches in the time of need.

Scott D
3/25/2007, 08:11 PM
that's fine...I'm just saying things like watching paint dry, or angelina jolie taking a dump in a plastic bubble are far more interesting than the BSU idea.

FlatheadSooner
3/25/2007, 08:57 PM
I dont want to see a movie on the 47 I want to see an up 5 part mini series multimedia extravaganza detailing each ear seperately and what not...yeah, make it hardcore awesome and much longer than any sport movie ever, and give it the record for longest sports movie ever, hopefully another streak that will never be broken.

Yeah, what he said..........and don't forget the ears. ;)

"47 Straight" is a great title and could be a great movie. They need to include a shot of "Play Like A Champion Today" lockeroom sign in there. :cool:

BASSooner
3/25/2007, 09:07 PM
or hell just call it 47 so people can see WHY it's called 47. eh?

StuIsTheMan
3/26/2007, 10:07 AM
Correct me if I am wrong here but didn't "The Streak" end with the food poisoning up in chicago befor playing Notre Dumb...If this is true then the end of the movie would suck...

sanantoniosooner
3/26/2007, 10:36 AM
Correct me if I am wrong here but didn't "The Streak" end with the food poisoning up in chicago befor playing Notre Dumb...If this is true then the end of the movie would suck...
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,894292,00.html

StuIsMistaken

StuIsTheMan
3/26/2007, 11:29 AM
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,894292,00.html

StuIsMistaken

Thanks, your right I was, but there was something "Fishy" about that game wasn't there?...I'll go research my OU history book tonight...

goingoneight
3/26/2007, 09:53 PM
Bastard domers. :mad:

theboz44
3/26/2007, 10:35 PM
Yeah, what he said..........and don't forget the ears. ;)

"47 Straight" is a great title and could be a great movie. They need to include a shot of "Play Like A Champion Today" lockeroom sign in there. :cool:

did nd steal the "play like a champion today" sign idea from us or was it the other way around??....i know we had it in our locker room back in the 80's and i've heard old fart lou holtz painted the one in nd's locker room

goingoneight
3/27/2007, 01:29 AM
So who plays PT? He said on the SA last week that he'd like Jamie Foxx to play him. :D

Jamie Foxx as Paul Thompson
Chuck Norris as Adrian Peterson :eek: (that takes soem skill to pull that one off)
Tom Hanks as Bob Stoops "There's no crying in football!!! No CRYING!!!"

OU-HSV
3/27/2007, 10:02 AM
Will Smith should play ENA

sanantoniosooner
3/27/2007, 10:19 AM
Dustin Hoffman.

OU-HSV
3/27/2007, 11:29 AM
Larry the Cable Guy

BASSooner
3/27/2007, 11:56 AM
Larry the Cable Guy
uhh he would refuse...

..he's a husker

Seamus
3/27/2007, 12:57 PM
angelina jolie taking a dump in a plastic bubble

Is that on Pay-Per-View?

StuIsTheMan
3/27/2007, 01:40 PM
Denzel should play PT

OU-HSV
3/27/2007, 09:03 PM
uhh he would refuse...

..he's a husker
True. Or he might just sign up for it so he can be an effin hillbilly!

goingoneight
3/27/2007, 10:18 PM
uhh he would refuse...

..he's a husker

And they call us ****in' hillbillies??? BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!