PDA

View Full Version : alcohol sales on sunday

bellefay1
3/19/2007, 09:58 PM
nice debate going on in the state of jawjaw about the right for counties to vote on allowing beer/wine (not all alcohol sales on sundays)

georgia is one of three states in the country that currently bans alcohol sales on sunday....included with the likes of connecticut and indiana.

alabama (from what i remember) can sell beer/wine at grocery stores on sunday after 12:30, and non-abc stores could sell hard stuff at a marked up price. on the other hand, georgia can sell beer that is above 5.9%abv and sell single quantities of beer that are in containers over 22oz.'s. (there's more then 40 oz.'s of malt liquor out there if you didn't know)

anyway's, you can purchase beer/liquor/wine at any sit down restraunt that chooses to sell the product on a sunday but my fair state feels it's unreasonable to allow individual counties to choose if they want to sell alcoholic products not being immediately consumed on sunday?

few questions...

1. why sunday? i know we're supposesd to have a separation of church and state yet, no one can purchase alcohol during the hours religous services are conducted. i'm not saying people should have the need/urge to by a handle of whiskey @ 9am on a sunday morning but, they can sure do it monday through saturday

2. why not allow sales? the argument of "you should have the sense to do it on saturday" really holds no water with me. i'm a falcons season ticket holder. i have a beer before the game....i did not purchase this alcoholic beverage the day of the game from a retail store but i sure as hell can down as many as i can till the 4th quarter. you'd think an establishment would take measures to curb drunk driving but i'd be lying if i said i haven't witnessed a few folks stumbling out of the dome on a sunday afternoon with no one caring. shame upon those sinners that drink alcohol at home on sundays...we can't tax them as much i guess?

3. why is this even an issue? from my adventures at the grocery store on a sunday...i get that "shopping for the week vibe" not really the vibe i get outside a package store on a saturday evening. folks i've had in town over the holidays that want to pick up a few beers or a bottle of wine are in shock when i inform them that it's illegal to sell alcohol on sundays. when asked why...i really don't have an answer.

anyone have any thoughts on this topic?

OklahomaTuba
3/19/2007, 11:13 PM
1. why sunday? i know we're supposesd to have a separation of church and state yet?

We are?

Someone forgot to put that in the constitution then.

;)

Soonerus
3/19/2007, 11:20 PM
Just plan ahead if it affects you and quit bitching...geez...

def_lazer_fc
3/20/2007, 02:58 AM
oklahoma might be the lamest state evah. hell, it took us this long to get tattoos, and they have more restrictions than strip clubs and what not. our state is run by old people. very very old people. these people will soon die, and we may, just may, progress into the 21st century.

i need more xanax

Xstnlsooner
3/20/2007, 07:18 AM
I have a suggestion...MOVE!!

It IS the home of the SOONERS and isn't THAT the point of this board!

OU-HSV
3/20/2007, 07:27 AM
nice debate going on in the state of jawjaw about the right for counties to vote on allowing beer/wine (not all alcohol sales on sundays)

georgia is one of three states in the country that currently bans alcohol sales on sunday....included with the likes of connecticut and indiana.
You forgot Arkansas. You can't buy beer or wine/liquor on Sundays there in stores or gas stations, etc. either. Only at restaurants after 12 p.m.

Ike
3/20/2007, 07:46 AM
I think it's the height of silliness to ban the sale of any otherwise legal item on any particular day.

Xstnlsooner
3/20/2007, 07:50 AM
I think it's the height of silliness to ban the sale of any otherwise legal item on any particular day.

I agree with you Ike and the tattoo thing is just ridiculous too.
Makes no sense to me about not selling on Sunday and not being
able to buy liquor in grocery stores and the like.

Maybe Brad Henry will come to the rescue!!:rolleyes:

NC_Tigah
3/20/2007, 07:52 AM
Only thing sensible about Blue Laws is that employees of the affected retailers get an assigned day off. That's probably a nice thing for worker bees.

Ike
3/20/2007, 08:02 AM
Only thing sensible about Blue Laws is that employees of the affected retailers get an assigned day off. That's probably a nice thing for worker bees.

Not if they could really use the money.

OklahomaTuba
3/20/2007, 08:10 AM
What is the Biblical reasoning for prohibiting the sale of Alcohol on Sundays anyway?

Obviously the Catholics had no part in making that law. ;)

JohnnyMack
3/20/2007, 08:58 AM
What is the Biblical reasoning for prohibiting the sale of Alcohol on Sundays anyway?

Obviously the Catholics had no part in making that law. ;)

What' the difference between a Baptist and a Catholic?

Baptists don't recognize each other at the liquior store.

Jeopardude
3/20/2007, 09:58 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_laws_of_the_United_States_by_state

Looks like other states have Sunday laws (Colorado, Minnesota).

The interesting law for me is New York's where you have to live within a certain distance of your liquor store, effectively preventing chain stores. I know Oklahoma liquor stores have rules where you have to have OK residency for several years before opening a store. Interesting facet of the labyrinthe laws.

Pennsylvania laws are bizarre. Once in Allentown we had to hunt for beer and finally found a store and had to sign a friggin' form to get the beer. And you couldn't physically carry more than twelve beers out of the store. We had to get friends out of the car to help us carry the beer out (a sixer a person).

rufnek05
3/20/2007, 10:17 AM
What' the difference between a Baptist and a Catholic?

Baptists don't recognize each other at the liquior store.

we catholics drink on sunday mornings.

and have our first drink in the 2nd grade