PDA

View Full Version : From start to finish.....

KC//CRIMSON
3/18/2007, 08:56 PM
you might not buy a better CD this year. :cool:

http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000MRA4WK.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V45846984_.jpg

Simply awesome.

VeeJay
3/18/2007, 09:24 PM
I am soooo out of teh loop.

goingoneight
3/18/2007, 09:53 PM
MM? meh... but I'll give her a listen. You never know. :)

soonerboomer93
3/18/2007, 10:15 PM
http://www.culturebully.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/Nine%20Inch%20Nails%20NIN%20Year%20Zero%20Cover%20 Art.jpg

will be better to me

Rhino
3/20/2007, 01:28 PM
The whole album is streaming on their myspace site.

http://www.myspace.com/modestmouse

KC//CRIMSON
3/20/2007, 01:55 PM
Florida and People As Places:cool:

plus they have the new guitarist from the Smiths.

dolemitesooner
3/20/2007, 02:01 PM
I have bought a better Cd this year.

http://hendrix.free.fr/disco/aye3-g.jpg

KC//CRIMSON
3/20/2007, 02:07 PM

New as in *NEW* You realize that came out about oh thirty five or so years ago, right?;)

dolemitesooner
3/20/2007, 02:08 PM
You said better. You did not say new. I thought this just came out. I love it.

yermom
3/20/2007, 02:37 PM
i heard the MM cd was good earlier today... hmm

and i need to get that CD from you doleo, i'm not sure what you gave me, but it wasn't that

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/20/2007, 02:40 PM
I'm afraid to not like it.

Isaac's crazy. Eat-your-soul crazy.

Mjcpr
3/20/2007, 02:41 PM
and i need to get that CD from you doleo, i'm not sure what you gave me, but it wasn't that

The clap?

yermom
3/20/2007, 02:45 PM
you mean like applause?

JohnnyMack
3/20/2007, 02:46 PM
The clap?

the stinkfinger?

King Crimson
3/20/2007, 03:14 PM
i heard most of it earlier today at a buddy's, i liked what i heard quite a bit.

dolemitesooner
3/20/2007, 04:17 PM
i heard the MM cd was good earlier today... hmm

uMM THATS A NO ...IF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO LISTEN TO WHAT i GAVE YOU THEN WHY WOULD i GIVE YOU THERE NEW ****...THE ONE i GAVE YOU WAS REALLY GOOD.

go fucvk yourself:P

yermom
3/20/2007, 04:19 PM
i mean the Jimi Hendrix album, all i got was like 2 versions of All Along the Watchtower and that was it

dolemitesooner
3/20/2007, 04:21 PM
i mean the Jimi Hendrix album, all i got was like 2 versions of All Along the Watchtower and that was it
What are you talking about

yermom
3/20/2007, 04:24 PM
the folder you copied did not have that album in it, it must have been somewhere else

i have this one if you want it

dolemitesooner
3/20/2007, 04:25 PM
Yeah ok ;) So you want the canadian stuff or what?

yermom
3/20/2007, 05:01 PM
yeah, and bring me some Panama Red

King Crimson
3/20/2007, 06:24 PM
i like Axis: Bold as Love better than Experienced. though, they are both great.

OUWxGuesser
3/20/2007, 08:26 PM
Just saw Modest Mouse in concert in Fargo, ND. They rocked it pretty hardcore. Played a pretty good mix of old and new although it was weighted in favor of the old (which kinda surprised me on the eve of their album release). I was really hoping to hear "Education" live. They played a hella long version of "Doin' the cockroach" that was amazing.

Thankfully, Isaac was tamed from the night prior.
http://pitchforkmedia.com/page/news/Isaac_Brock_SelfMutilates_at_South_Dakota_Gig#4180 6

After the third song in our set he went on about how wasted he was the night before and how he couldn't even keep track of where his hand was on the guitar.

rufnek05
3/20/2007, 09:18 PM
i'm not going to buy it, but i will download it

birddog
3/20/2007, 10:32 PM
not too shabby. i'll have to get a copy tomorrow.

def_lazer_fc
3/21/2007, 02:55 AM
yeah, dann gallucci isn't in the band anymore is he? and to hell with the guy from the smiths. i don't really think i hate the smiths, i just hate morrisey and all the sad sack 400 pound girls that dig his sappy crap music. but whatever, from what i've heard, their early work is way better. waaaaaaayyyyy better.

yermom
3/21/2007, 03:05 AM
ooh, i hate Morrisey and the fags that like him too

King Crimson
3/21/2007, 03:18 AM
but Johnny Marr is cool. I like the smiths (at least up through Queen is Dead)....but i have no time for the Moz since about 1990. I'm kinda the same with Robert Smith of the Cure (disintegration IS NOT the best Cure record)...

Marr is a really influential guitarist, like it or not. the guys in radiohead just gush like teenage girls when asked about him and his weird open tunings (if i recall correctly). and, as Sooneron posted awhile back, Marr was directly influenced by the vastly underrated James Honeyman-Scott of the early Pretenders.

he may be an old guy and not play like what you heard on the Fruit that ate itself or Highway....but i liked what i heard on that record yesterday. pretty inventive but still MMish....with some dirty white funk accents here and there.

OU4LIFE
3/21/2007, 07:30 AM
that MM CD is good. really good.

KC//CRIMSON
3/21/2007, 12:13 PM
yeah, dann gallucci isn't in the band anymore is he? and to hell with the guy from the smiths. i don't really think i hate the smiths, i just hate morrisey and all the sad sack 400 pound girls that dig his sappy crap music. but whatever, from what i've heard, their early work is way better. waaaaaaayyyyy better.

Have you ever been stabbed in the neck?

King Crimson
3/21/2007, 12:19 PM

don't waste your time KC//, he's a troll.

BigRedJed
3/21/2007, 10:32 PM
Heh.

BigRedJed
3/21/2007, 10:34 PM
Wait a minute... ...no threats of violence KC//.

;)

And, BTW, MM has been RMMFFO for a couple of days now. GREAT disc.

yermom
3/22/2007, 09:08 AM
i think it may be good music for people that like bad music or something

birddog
3/22/2007, 09:14 AM
im still trying to come around to this one after the 2nd day.

sounds a little ugly casanova-ish to me, so far.

dolemitesooner
3/22/2007, 11:12 AM
I bought the album yesterday when I bought Arcade fire's Neon Bible. I have listened to it once now.

This album seems alot more upbeat than the last. Its good but I need to listen to it a couple more times before I say anything.

birddog
3/23/2007, 08:43 AM
getting more familiar with it now.

i'm not so sure it's my favorite album by them but it's ok.

birddog
3/23/2007, 11:32 PM
well, i've got a pretty good feel of it by now. really damn good, solid album.

Brilliant

March Into the Sea
Parting of the Sensory
Missed the Boat
Little Motel
Spitting Venom

Impressive

Fire It Up
Florida
Dashboard
Fly Trapped In a Jar
People As Places As People
Invisible

Good

We've Got Everything

B'ah

Steam Engenius
Education

KC//CRIMSON
3/29/2007, 01:14 PM
Modest Mouse Felt 'No Pressure' To Be #1 — But They Got There Anyway

When we met up with Modest Mouse recently, they had no idea where their latest album would end up on the charts.

As it turns out, We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank debuted at #1

"Modest Mouse Beat Out Joss Stone To Score First Billboard #1") — not that it matters much to frontman Isaac Brock.

"All I care about is if I'm really happy after writing [an album]. If the cover looks great, if everyone in the band feels like they did as good as we could, if at the end of the day we all believe we put everything into it, then you have to let go of it," he said. "It's not your project anymore. It's done. And whatever happens after that is a distraction and not the part of making records that I'm interested in."

Then he paused, cracked a mischievous smile and added, "But I'd be a liar if I said I wasn't happy when people enjoyed what we worked on, so [if it debuts at #1], that's great. It's good news."

That's putting it mildly. Because while Brock may maintain the grizzled veneer of a guy who's been slogging it out in the music industry for close to 15 years, for most of MM's fanbase, the thought of Dead debuting at #1 is pretty mind-blowing. But then again, in the wake of 2004's shockingly successful Good News for People Who Love Bad News (sales to date: 1.5 million), anything is possible (see "Modest Mouse Greet Success With A Rousing 'So What?' ").

(See Modest Mouse tear it up at Six Flags Magic Mountain in Valencia, California, in these photos.)

So for the first time since signing with Sony back in 2000, all eyes are squarely on Brock and company to deliver the goods. But, again, this is something Brock refuses to acknowledge.

"With a record being successful, you gauge that when you finish making it at the studio. If everyone is happy, then you've succeeded, and everything else is gravy," he said. "Anything that happened after we finished the last record was not worth us taking note of. So there's no pressure with this one, except to be as happy — or happier — than we were the last time we worked on a record."

And while there's not a whole lot of actual happiness to be found on Dead — as opposed to on Good News, which was practically brimming with "to hell with the bad times" tunes like "Float On" and songs of clear-minded introspection like "Bukowski" and "The Good Times Are Killing Me" — there is a new level of musicianship never before apparent on a Modest Mouse effort.

Album opener "March Into the Sea" perfects the loud/soft dynamic the band has been toying with for years. First single "Dashboard" is probably the most unintentionally radio-friendly song the group has ever written. And longer, spacier tunes like "Parting of the Sensory" and "Spitting Venom" showcase the band's newfound sonic prowess, bolstered by new members Tom Peloso, Joe Plummer and, of course, former Smiths guitarist Johnny Marr.

"He was my first choice," Brock said. "[Johnny is] a beautiful, really fluid guitar player. And I felt that the contrast between what he does and what I do would be really good. Or it could've gone really poorly. But if nothing else, it would've been a great experiment. It was, and it still is.

"He brings his own weird angle," he continued. "But everyone in this band does. Tom was in a bluegrass band. [Bassist] Eric [Judy] has an interest in the flute. [Drummer] Jeremiah [Green] likes horrific noises. Everyone brings their own thing."

Brock tries to downplay Marr's addition to the group. After all, the original plan was to have him fly out to MM's home base of Portland, Oregon, and record for 10 days. But from the first minutes they were all in the studio, everyone — Marr in particular — knew there was something more to the collaboration. So he stuck around, to the amazement of pretty much everybody.

"When we first started playing, sparks did fly. [Isaac] had his amp facing me very loud and I had my amp facing him even louder, and then he turned his louder and we were throwing riffs at each other and just jamming," Marr recalled. "Within the first hour, we started kicking around this riff that ended up being 'Dashboard.' And by the end of 10 days, we were wiped out because we had written a whole load of music. I got really attached to the songs. I wanted everyone to know that I was committed to it and that it was more than some faceless studio experiment."

So with a new album, a superstar secondary guitarist, a revitalized band and a strong shot at the top of the Billboard charts, was Brock in any mood to celebrate?

"No, I'm not going to celebrate anything," he said. "We've got a couple of weeks off before our tour, and I plan on having knee surgery for an old injury. After seven years on torn cartilage, it seems like it's time."

This report is provided by MTV News

silverwheels
3/29/2007, 02:19 PM
I can think of a few albums that come out this year that are/will be better than Modest Mouse...

StoopTroup
3/29/2007, 02:42 PM
Well...if you liked that one....

Try "Crash Landing".

http://www.spaghettitaliani.com/musica/CD/crash.jpg

First released in February of 1975 and containing a wealth of rare and previously unavailable tracks, Crash Landing is an enduring testament to the genius of Jimi Hendrix. Eight original cuts highlight not only the guitarist's endlessly inventive improvisational artistry but a host of talented backing musicians, including such longtime Hendrix stalwarts as drummer Buddy Miles and bassist Billy Cox.
After reaching an agreement with the aritst's estate in early 1975, producers Alan Douglas and Tony Bongiovi began assembling unreleased material for a new Jimi Hendrix album. The original tracks for the LP were subsequently augmented by such top-notch studio artists as Jeff Mironov (guitar), Allan Schwartzberg (drums), Jimmy Maeulen (percussion), Bob Babbit (bass), and a chorus of backing vocalists that included Vivian Cherry, Linda November and Barbara Massey.
The result was Crash Landing, a seamless blend of original and updated material.

http://www.discogs.com/release/559625

http://hendrix.free.fr/disco/aye3-g.jpg

birddog
4/4/2007, 10:38 PM
not sure this is one of the best albums by them. but missed the boat just became one of my all-time favorite mm songs.

King Crimson
4/20/2007, 04:58 AM
my sis sent me a copy of the LP. i really like it the more i listen to it, especially the last 4-5 cuts.

pretty solid. maybe not as good as Interstate or one of the others.....but a good record nonetheless. guy from the Shins on background vocals on a couple cuts.

King Crimson
4/20/2007, 05:01 AM
im still trying to come around to this one after the 2nd day.

sounds a little ugly casanova-ish to me, so far.

a couple cuts are pretty franz ferdinand-ish, imo. the more "Mouse" stuff is pretty tight. kind of a mixed bag with the stronger stuff on the latter half and the occasional "i've heard them do this before" moment. still, a good record.

*** 1/2.

a great record would be possible from this version of the Mouse, though this misses being it by a bit.

Rogue
4/20/2007, 05:14 AM
My favorite Hendrix album is Electric Ladyland.
Best I bought this year so far is Wolfmother. OK, so it's technically from last year but I just got it awhile back.

There's always this:
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j257/soonercody/Temp/acdc-back_in_black.jpg

Anyone heard the new Modest Mouse?

RacerX
4/20/2007, 06:22 AM
Wait a minute... ...no threats of violence KC//.
Threat?

He was just taking a survey.