PDA

View Full Version : Scandalous!

Okla-homey
3/18/2007, 12:03 PM
My kid's sorority is in "deep doo-doo," so to speak. The national headquarters "purged" some ugly girls from a chapter at some university in Indiana. They wrote them a letter to say they had been transferred to "alumna" status and they had to move out of the house as soon as practible.

It seems that particular chapter had been light on recruiting because it had a reputation as being the refuge of "unnattractive and/or odd or 'big' girls" at that particular school.

Of course, the national headquarters is back-pedalling like a mo-fo trying to disclaim the alleged motivation for their actions...but methinks they are only digging themselves deeper. The school, "Depauw University" has decided throw the offending chapter off campus.

The thing I find kinda odd is this. Can anyone say with a straight face that frats and sororities don't discriminate based on a pledge's appearance? Although we didn't have greek orgs where I went to college, I saw "Animal House" for flippin' out loud.:D

here's the sorority's side of things:
http://www.deltazeta.org/pages/content/dz_happenings.html

royalfan5
3/18/2007, 12:09 PM
Mine didn't at all. We discriminated against *********s, but that was about it. The sororities where I went to undergrad really didn't as fas as I can tell either. That doesn't mean physical attractiveness was evenly distributed amongst the sororities, but personality was the driving force at my school. It should be noted that we were are spring rush school, so you had a good idea about who you were letting in.

MamaMia
3/18/2007, 12:16 PM
In my day we believed that pretty is as pretty does. Young people these days are usually so shallow. Maybe the media is partly to blame.

royalfan5
3/18/2007, 12:26 PM
In my day we believed that pretty is as pretty does. Young people these days are usually so shallow. Maybe the media is partly to blame.
Shallow also will attract more shallow, and become self-sustaining. Personally, I blame the parents over the media.

Jimminy Crimson
3/18/2007, 12:57 PM
I blame the ugly girls for being ugly, and their parents for birthing ugly kids! :texan:

hurricane'bone
3/18/2007, 01:28 PM
Mine didn't at all. We discriminated against *********s, but that was about it.

I take it your fraternity didn't have any members then...

royalfan5
3/18/2007, 01:33 PM
I take it your fraternity didn't have any members then...
The only d-bags are independents.

bri
3/18/2007, 01:40 PM
I blame the ugly girls for being ugly, and their parents for birthing ugly kids! :texan:

I agree with the distinguished gentleman from OKC. :D

MamaMia
3/18/2007, 01:43 PM
I agree with the distinguished gentleman from OKC. :D
Which is reason #1 why I refuse to introduce you to any of my pretty is and pretty does single daughters. :cool:

bri
3/18/2007, 01:50 PM
Is reason #2 your apparent inability to detect sarcasm? ;)

85Sooner
3/18/2007, 01:53 PM
At OU our frat was the only one that that allowed black, hispanic, and middle eastern members. We were shunned by a couple of the "pretty girl" sororities. Pi Phis to be specific. Don't know if that was the reason, but just sayin, remember this was in 1982. Times have changed a bunch.

Vaevictis
3/18/2007, 01:53 PM
It's times like these when I remember just how much I love the word "schadenfreude".

MamaMia
3/18/2007, 02:01 PM
Is reason #2 your apparent inability to detect sarcasm? ;)No; not even close. :D

mdklatt
3/18/2007, 06:25 PM
Back in my day, there was a total Revenge of the Nerds fraternity...Sigma Nu I think. They were re-colonizing at OU so their admission standards weren't quite the same as the other houses. I wonder if they've retained their distinct flavor.

Rogue
3/18/2007, 06:29 PM
The only d-bags are independents.

:eek:

:pop:

Schadenfreude indeed.

JohnnyMack
3/18/2007, 06:49 PM
It's called "taking grades". Lots of sorority houses do it.

MamaMia
3/19/2007, 09:34 AM
It's called "taking grades". Lots of sorority houses do it.
Taking grades? :confused:

Mjcpr
3/19/2007, 09:52 AM
Please feel free to join our sister sorority, Lamda Lamda Lamda.

SoonerStormchaser
3/19/2007, 09:55 AM
I'll say it before and I'll say it again: Frats are nothing more than expensive bars...and sororities are not much more than brothels where the women pay to get in!

You should see Ohio State on a Saturday night...

JohnnyMack
3/19/2007, 10:13 AM
Taking grades? :confused:

A house full of pretty girls who like to party and don't care too much about studying will often take girls who are rather adept academically and maybe not so hot into their house to help bring the chapter's overall GPA up.

frankensooner
3/19/2007, 10:16 AM
I graduated college in 1988, in the last, well, 10 years I have not seen a single frat bro. Lifetime friends, they ain't, but it was a lot of fun back then.

tulsaoilerfan
3/19/2007, 10:32 AM
Amen, ugly people shouldn't reproduce!!;)

Fraggle145
3/19/2007, 10:50 AM
Hey I paid for my 5 best friends, and I'm not ashamed of it... after the 1st year living in the house I got outta there but that is because our housing corporation for some reason wanted to let more *********s in.

If you were a dork we showed you the volleyball court during rush week. It isnt our fault you have no personal skills, and yo momma dresses you funny.