PDA

View Full Version : Baby Name

SicEmBaylor
3/17/2007, 10:03 PM
Okay, my name is pretty damned bizarre so I have no room to talk, but some friends of mine from Baylor who have been married for a few years now are having a child and they just decided on the name............Patriot.

usmc-sooner
3/17/2007, 10:03 PM
Aquanesia

SicEmBaylor
3/17/2007, 10:04 PM
That's pretty bad. Still, naming your kid Patriot is a little strange no matter how patriotic you happen to be. What if the kid grows up to be a commie?

Newbomb Turk
3/17/2007, 10:06 PM
better than Suri.

SicEmBaylor
3/17/2007, 10:07 PM
or Blanket.

Rogue
3/17/2007, 10:07 PM
What's that? It's PAT!

So, is it a boy or a girl?

Ike
3/17/2007, 10:09 PM
Funny...I was thinking about posting a thread very similar to this the other day. Some very good friends of ours had a son the other day. His first and middle names, in order, are Nolan Ryan. The even funnier part is that Mrs. Ike has been telling me "No way" on that one for the last 6 years.

SicEmBaylor
3/17/2007, 10:10 PM
'tis a boy.

Ike
3/17/2007, 10:14 PM
That's pretty bad. Still, naming your kid Patriot is a little strange no matter how patriotic you happen to be. What if the kid grows up to be a commie?

Thats probably a near-certainty.

JohnnyMack
3/17/2007, 10:14 PM
Acquinetta.

Like the hairspray.

1stTimeCaller
3/17/2007, 10:15 PM
Frosty

OCUDad
3/17/2007, 10:42 PM
That's pretty bad. Still, naming your kid Patriot is a little strange no matter how patriotic you happen to be. What if the kid grows up to be a commie?Commies are patriots, too, in their own way... just not on our side. Just sayin'.

SicEmBaylor
3/17/2007, 10:42 PM
Frosty
Now, there's a ****ty *** name.

SicEmBaylor
3/17/2007, 10:43 PM
Commies are patriots, too, in their own way... just not on our side. Just sayin'.

Well,I might argue with that. A fascist is definitely a patriot in their own way, but not necessarily a communist. Communism stresses loyalty to the proletariat and working class over loyalty to any particular state.......at least in theory.

Melo
3/17/2007, 11:02 PM

****ty name to go with a ****ty boy/girl/thing.

;)

rufnek05
3/18/2007, 12:11 AM
****head. its pronounced "sh theed"

or

orangejello. pronounce "or on jill o"

goingoneight
3/18/2007, 12:39 AM
Orangello [o-ron-jel-lo]: cuz the parents like orange jello.

Lemonjello [li-mon-jel-lo]: his brother.

and last but not least... Sh!thead [shi-theed]: don't ask me how the mother didn't catch this on the birth certificate. :confused:

MamaMia
3/18/2007, 12:28 PM
My kids are doing the odd names as well. We have 5 grandchildren. The last four, which were all born a year apart, have last names for first names.

OUstudent4life
3/18/2007, 12:36 PM
In my wife's rotations through OB, she saw several new babies named Nevaeh.

Heaven backwards.

There are going to be some tawdry jokes about those girls some day.

:D

OCUDad
3/18/2007, 12:52 PM
Well,I might argue with that.And, as usual, you would be wrong.

VeeJay
3/18/2007, 02:58 PM
If I had another kid I'd name it Palomino.

silverwheels
3/18/2007, 03:12 PM

Heaven backwards.

Not as many jokes as if their names were "Naomi".

Frozen Sooner
3/18/2007, 03:17 PM
Funny...I was thinking about posting a thread very similar to this the other day. Some very good friends of ours had a son the other day. His first and middle names, in order, are Nolan Ryan. The even funnier part is that Mrs. Ike has been telling me "No way" on that one for the last 6 years.

"Seven"

Ike
3/18/2007, 03:21 PM
"Seven"
Nolan wore number 34. That works even less well as a name than 7.

Howzit
3/18/2007, 04:17 PM
There's a dude at our Orlando warehouse named Prescious.

usmc-sooner
3/18/2007, 05:02 PM
Delicious

Frozen Sooner
3/18/2007, 05:14 PM
Nolan wore number 34. That works even less well as a name than 7.

Oh yeah? How about Mendoza Line Rich?

That'd be a great message that all you really expect is the bare minimum.

OUAndy1807
3/18/2007, 05:28 PM
I prank called a guy in NYC named Peter Weiner.

Also, I know a guy from Chickasha named Scooter.

What's sicem's name?

OUAndy1807
3/18/2007, 05:30 PM
also, my best friend named his kid Mitch. I know it's not weird, but I think it's probably the modern day equivalent of naming a girl Mabel. also, it rhymes with too much bad ****.

StoopTroup
3/18/2007, 05:31 PM
Formica.

Newbomb Turk
3/18/2007, 05:37 PM
also, my best friend named his kid Mitch. I know it's not weird, but I think it's probably the modern day equivalent of naming a girl Mabel. also, it rhymes with too much bad ****.

Mitch isn't so bad. It's better than a lot of the faggy names people give boys lately. I'd list some, but I don't want to offend anybody. :O

mdklatt
3/18/2007, 06:17 PM
My kids are doing the odd names as well. We have 5 grandchildren. The last four, which were all born a year apart, have last names for first names.

That drives me nuts. I heard a women rounding up the brood one time at BK, and it sounded like the name of a law firm. The trend of naming your kids after cities in Texas goes hand in hand with this.

Sherman! Dallas! Austin! Tyler! Houston! West University Place! Get your butts in this house right now!

mdklatt
3/18/2007, 06:28 PM

Heaven backwards.

Is that pronounced Na-vay-eh? That's kind of pretty, although it sounds too old fashion-y for my tastes.

VeeJay
3/18/2007, 09:57 PM
My dad's great grandfather had an aunt who was named Aunt Izella Uthetha O'Bertha.

She reportedly killed a Yankee soldier trying to break into her log cabin with a 2X4.

Tell me that wasn't some hillbilly action.

Sooner24
3/18/2007, 11:31 PM
Cocaine Mothershed is always good or how about Nicolas Cage baby Kal-el. I always thought that was a Kryptonian name? And then there is the always famous Moon Unit Zappa.

Sooner24
3/18/2007, 11:31 PM
My dad's great grandfather had an aunt who was named Aunt Izella Uthetha O'Bertha.

She reportedly killed a Yankee soldier trying to break into her log cabin with a 2X4.

Tell me that wasn't some hillbilly action.

Sounds more like survival to me.

Sooner98
3/18/2007, 11:49 PM
Soda.

Ash
3/18/2007, 11:53 PM
Phil MacRackin

MamaMia
3/19/2007, 01:12 AM
That drives me nuts. I heard a women rounding up the brood one time at BK, and it sounded like the name of a law firm. The trend of naming your kids after cities in Texas goes hand in hand with this.

Sherman! Dallas! Austin! Tyler! Houston! West University Place! Get your butts in this house right now!
Many times, I have yelled out the back door Parker, Chandler, Dylan and Cartney...come on in. Its time to wash up for dinner. :P

Oh, and they're all girls, except for Dylan. The oldest granddaughter, with the normal first name, is usually in the kitchen helping me set the table. :)

All of our kids have either a first or middle name after a relative who my husband and I adore; well except sometimes my sister, who I named my eldest daughter after. My sister has gotten very annoying in the fall of her life. I cant spend more than two days with her without wanting to strangle her. Other than that I love her dearly. :D

yermom
3/19/2007, 01:14 AM

Heaven backwards.

i hear this is a very popular stripper name now...

yermom
3/19/2007, 01:15 AM
"Seven"

this is the first thing i thought of when i saw this thread :D

Frozen Sooner
3/19/2007, 01:15 AM
Actually, except for Cartney, it sounds like they're all named after 1990s TV show characters. Which isn't bad, really.

yermom
3/19/2007, 01:16 AM
Sodapop.

Ponyboy.

stay golden

olevetonahill
3/19/2007, 01:31 AM
If I had another kid I'd name it Palomino.
If I had another kid Id call it the" lil freak bastage "

Mixer!
3/19/2007, 07:47 AM
Frosty
http://www.lecturemanagement.com/images-speakers/troy-frosty.jpg
:pop:

jk the sooner fan
3/19/2007, 08:05 AM
Oh yeah? How about Mendoza Line Rich?

THAT......is funny as hell

jk the sooner fan
3/19/2007, 08:06 AM
if my wife had a kid, i'd call it "not my baby"........you know, since i had a vasectomy over 10 years ago

Chuck Bao
3/19/2007, 08:27 AM
When I have a son, I'm thinking about naming him either Chakrit, Bingpong, Chavolit, Mingkwan or Uthong. I don't think I would call him Chuck Jr.

Osce0la
3/19/2007, 11:43 AM
heh...my dad wanted to name me Nolan Ryan for the first 8 months of my mom's pregnancy...then about 2 weeks before I was due to be born he decided against it. I wanted to name our son Charlie Ward because you get the Florida State ties and the family ties in there at the same time (my dad's name is Ward). The wife doesn't like Charlie or Ward though so that was a no go.

We saw a comedian one time that said he used to be a substitute teacher and that he had a kid in one of his classes one day whose name was Lotion (pronounced LaShaun) and he said the kids last name was Jergens :D That was probably all made up for his skit, but was still funny when he was telling the story...

Osce0la
3/19/2007, 11:44 AM
When I have a son, I'm thinking about naming him either Chakrit, Bingpong, Chavolit, Mingkwan or Uthong. I don't think I would call him Chuck Jr.
At my former job I ran across a check from a person named Thongdy Thongrivong. That name has made me laugh for the last 2 1/2 years...

Chuck Bao
3/19/2007, 11:52 AM
At my former job I ran across a check from a person named Thongdy Thongrivong. That name has made me laugh for the last 2 1/2 years...

Looks like a very good Thai name to me. I think Thongdee means something like good gold.

MamaMia
3/19/2007, 11:56 AM
Actually, except for Cartney, it sounds like they're all named after 1990s TV show characters. Which isn't bad, really.Cartney is named after one of my daughters best friends who was killed in the Murrah Building.

rufnek05
3/19/2007, 12:05 PM
driften, i have a kid in class with that name

Pricetag
3/19/2007, 01:15 PM
I love the name Mitchell for a boy, but like you say, it just doesn't pass what I call the "gym class test." When naming a boy, you always have to consider what the kids in gym class are going to try to come up with to poke fun. I already have almost all of the f-word in my last name, so nothing that doesn't pass the gym class test with flying colors is an option for first names.

Frozen Sooner
3/19/2007, 01:18 PM
Cartney is named after one of my daughters best friends who was killed in the Murrah Building.

Oh. I'm sorry to hear that. What a nice tribute.

NormanPride
3/19/2007, 01:32 PM
Giving Your Child a "Ghetto" Name

Why do it? So many people blend into the humdrum of popular culture by giving their children names that just inherently make their kid a cow - part of the herd of cattle. I mean, really! If you give your kid a name like Kaitlynn or Jordan, people are just going to pass them by! They won't gain notice or attention! They won't feel unique.

Parents need to press a child into the right direction and make them stand out from the herd of general populace with a name that doesn't just "fit in". A kid will not feel unique and special if he or she has a plain name like John or Amanda. You gotta step it up a notch with the name, so that a child can go through their lives without once meeting a person with their own personal moniker. And more than anything, they need to have a piece of their heritage. A piece of their ethnicity. Nope, I don't mean African culture. A true ghetto name cannot exist anywhere else in the world - least of all africa - with a few exceptions. I mean GHETTO culture.

1. If you want to be truly blatant in your intention, so that naming your child cannot possibly construed as something anything but unique and unusual, you may want to name your child something such as Imunique. Yes. Make sure the pronunciation in there is "I'm unique." There is no room for misunderstanding. You can use other sentences, such as "Isa Innocent", which a Police Deputy once reported.

2. Or you can go with a more standard policy. If you are not feeling the creative vibe within the nine month time since you got yourself knocked up,you can add a little flair to a regular name. A name is acceptably ghetto if it has a prefix or suffix to make it suitably unique. Take an average, dull name such as Shawn, Brian or Lance. You can add flair and complexity to this name by adding a prefix of De- (or Derr- in the case that the original name begins with a vowel). (i.e. Deshawn, Dabrian, De'lance). With female names, La- and Le tend to work well, but try to focus on the suffix. The most favored and sexy suffix is -nesha or -esha. (i.e. Cara--> Karanesha or Ronesha)

3. If you do find yourself gravitating towards one of the average names out there, you must change the spelling of that name in order to preserve the individuality and ghetto culture of your child. If you can't figure out how to change the consonants or vowels enough to your liking, throw a Y in there...anywhere.
(For instance, Derrel has become a very common name. So change it up a bit with Y's and vowel changes. I.E. Darryal, Darryl.)
(Vanessa -> Vonnessa)

4. This rule works even better with Bible names. However, you're taking from the holy book. You'd better change that spelling so that God doesn't zap your *** with a bolt of lightning if your kid becomes a gangbanger. It shouldn't be hard to change the spelling though. Those names are so damn long, how can you remember how to spell the name on the birth certificate when you're on the spot anyway!
(I.e. Nehemiah --> Neahmia)

5. The reverse of rule 3 is also true. You can take a name and change its pronunciation so that a typically spelled name may have an unique and cool pronunciation. (For example, many boys may be called Dominique as pronounced "DOM-i-nick". You may wish to use a more feminine french form of the name as "dom-i-NEEK" )

6. Another way to change an otherwise dull and typical name is to change certain consonants to your preference. (i.e. Gavin becomes Javin)

7. A previously used name is acceptable - and even better if it is something unusual that symbolizes power and independence. Name your child after an Egyptian god. (i.e. Osiris) But don't forget the unique spelling! (so now it needs to be: Osirius)

8. We know that you child is special. But a name is all-important. You want to impart some of your hopes and dreams into a child's name. To ensure that your child is on the road to success, name her after teh attribute you want him or her to follow the most. These work best for feminine names. Name your child Destiny, if you wish to give her a bright future. You may also give the unique spelling to her to give her individuality such as Destinee. Other attributes to name the girl are Chastity, Charisma, or Hope.

9. Finally the greatest name of all is to choose one that has never been used before. Just make one up! Don't forget the all-important prefixes and suffixes of De- for boys and "-nesha" for girls. This is imparting the ultimately special name so that your child can walk through life being confident and proud. If it sounds vaguely french, it's even better!
(i.e. Draynesha, or Arlaihsjah)

--All names here are real. I have seen and heard all of them in the course of my brief teaching career. If you guys post this for yourself, please don't stick my username on it. I really don't want to get flamed by some ****ed off person with the name Shaniqua.

--I really should put the disclaimer up here that many ghetto names are not just given by black parents. I've had plenty of ghetto names from white kids. Omg...are there ghetto names for them too. However, the white parents tend to gravitate towards rule 3 like the plague. Only they pick names like Brittney and 50 bazillion ways to spell Kayla and Kaitlynn.

heh