PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Day-Lewis

tbl
3/17/2007, 12:35 AM
He was straight up robbed by not winning the Oscar for his portrayal of Bill "the Butcher" Cutting. I just finished watching Gangs of New York again and that guy is absolutely steals the show. What a great performance... Great movie.

http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/user/profiles/73/256773/132438203d12bc30_p.jpg

proud gonzo
3/17/2007, 12:39 AM
well, I can't say because I never saw The Pianist (for which Adrien Brody won best actor in 2003) but yes, he did a good job in that movie. Though in my opinion, it didn't take much to steal the show. I can't recall particularly enjoying the movie. But he did win best actor for My Left Foot (which was an amazing performance)

tbl
3/17/2007, 12:44 AM
I beg to differ. Leo is a mighty fine actor himself, and I think the movie is fantastic. Regardless, his portrayal is genius. I think the script has a lot to do with it, but the guy delivered it perfectly. I watched a behind the scenes special on the DVD and apparently he spoke with that accent 24/7.

proud gonzo
3/17/2007, 12:56 AM
yeah, I think day-lewis always does the action the entire time while working on a movie. He's an incredible actor, and I'm not saying he didn't do a good job. I'm just saying I don't know exactly if he was robbed or not because I haven't seen the Pianist.

And as far as the movie goes, I don't think it was done very well. The original cut was an hour longer, and i think they tried to get far too much story into the movie. To me, that means bad writing. That's the problem when people try so hard to make something historically accurate. You do so much research and you want to use it ALL.

yermom
3/17/2007, 01:00 AM
i wasn't particularly thrilled with that flick, it was pretty good though

Adrian Brody deserved to win just from his response :D

proud gonzo
3/17/2007, 01:02 AM
i wasn't particularly thrilled with that flick, it was pretty good though

Adrian Brody deserved to win just from his response :Dhehehe--classic