PDA

View Full Version : Tulsa's New City Hall

StoopTroup
3/16/2007, 12:44 PM
Good Idea?

Voice your opinion here. :D

Tulsa World (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=070316_1_A1_hCent88837)

OLD / NEW
http://www.tulsaworld.com/articleimages/2007/070316_A1_hCent88837_a1chall116.jpghttp://www.hokstlouis.com/projimages/image1_1.jpg

Mixer!
3/16/2007, 12:53 PM
Sure, why not.

frankensooner
3/16/2007, 12:58 PM
I know you can't fight city hall, I don't know nuthing bout building a new one.

After reading the article, it sounds like that might be the best option, if the building is fully servicable for their needs. Save a lot of money over building.

mdklatt
3/16/2007, 01:02 PM
Will the new city hall have trees?

NormanPride
3/16/2007, 01:09 PM
But wait... I work in One Tech... :eek:

OklahomaTuba
3/16/2007, 01:41 PM
Only 80,000,000.00????!?!?!?

Why, that's nothing!

Heck, city can't afford to fill up some pools, fix some streets, hire enough cops to protect the city or help fund the teachers being laid off cause of TPS's budget shortfall. So, they obviously cannot afford to pass this deal up!!

Better yet, they should just build a new city hall that is BIGGER and BETTER and designed by some renowned architect who can come up with a very original design for the thing, like our new arena!!

Hell, I bet Miami already has something in place we could steal, again.

Mjcpr
3/16/2007, 01:43 PM
Only 80,000,000.00????!?!?!?

Why, that's nothing!

Heck, city can't afford to fill up some pools, fix some streets, hire enough cops to protect the city or help fund the teachers being laid off cause of TPS's budget shortfall. So, they obviously cannot afford to pass this deal up!!

I had no idea the City funded teacher salaries.

And assuming the properties are in demand, you don't think the cost of OTC would be offset by the sale of the City properties that would be left from the consolidation?

OklahomaTuba
3/16/2007, 01:47 PM
I had no idea the City funded teacher salaries.

And assuming the properties are in demand, you don't think the cost of OTC would be offset by the sale of the City properties that would be left from the consolidation?

Never said the city funded teacher salaries. Go back and re-read.

And you really think that POS city hall building is gonna fetch 80 Mill to offset the cost???

bri
3/16/2007, 01:50 PM
The mods must have merged this thread with one about Owasso's new city hall.

:D

OklahomaTuba
3/16/2007, 01:50 PM
Better yet, here is a novel Idear.

Have the city buy the building, and try to attrack some jobs to the city to fill it up.

OH no, that would be thinking outside the box, and Tulsa just doesn't do that. Better give the city government the nicest office building in town instead.

Mjcpr
3/16/2007, 01:52 PM
Never said the city funded teacher salaries. Go back and re-read.

And you really thing that POS city hall building is gonna fetch 80 Mill to offset the cost???

You said: ...city can't afford to fill up some pools, fix some streets, hire enough cops to protect the city or help fund the teachers being laid off...

There are 12 City properties, not just City Hall. And surely you realize that the value of a property isn't necessarily based on what is located there currently. If so, the Towerview Apts would've gotten an offer of $1.50.

NormanPride
I think we're still going to rent space here... that's free money for the city, right?

KC//CRIMSON
Better yet, they should just build a new city that is BIGGER and BETTER and designed by some renowned architect who can come up with a very original design for the thing, like our new arena!!

bingo.

OklahomaTuba
3/16/2007, 01:54 PM
You said: ...city can't afford to fill up some pools, fix some streets, hire enough cops to protect the city or help fund the teachers being laid off...

There are 12 City properties, not just City Hall. And surely you realize that the value of a property isn't necessarily based on what is located there currently. If so, the Towerview Apts would've gotten an offer of $1.50.

I wonder how much all 12 city properties will be worth then.

I mean, if City Hall is that big of a turd, I would hate to see where they stuff the pee-ons.

OklahomaTuba
3/16/2007, 01:55 PM
I think we're still going to rent space here... that's free money for the city, right?

Sure!

It will help pay for Kathy Taylors raise's.

Mjcpr
3/16/2007, 01:56 PM
I wonder how much all 12 city properties will be worth then.

That's a much better question; way better than your usual fanatical, uninformed rantings.

I mean, if City Hall is that big of a turd, I would hate to see where they stuff the pee-ons.

I don't even know what means.

OklahomaTuba
3/16/2007, 02:02 PM
The only reason Tulsa should buy a building like that is for economic development.

The idea of the city owning one of the nicest and largest buildings in the city is just laughable. And, the fact that they are considering it when it costs 80 Mil just makes it even more laughable.

Tulsa is so screwed. :(

Mjcpr
3/16/2007, 02:05 PM
The only reason Tulsa should buy a building like that is for economic development.

Did you not read the article? That's one of the main reasons why they're CONSIDERING the move; the other being consolidating locations in an effort to save money over the long run.

"This is one of the few opportunities the city of Tulsa has to use assets it already owns to spur economic development . . . and to look at consolidating the city's departments to provide cost savings through efficiencies," Taylor said.

StoopTroup
3/16/2007, 03:26 PM
I heard Kathy's Daughter got a DUI last night.

Anybody else hear anything?

Mjcpr
3/16/2007, 03:32 PM

I saw that on one of the local news websites!

Fugue
3/16/2007, 03:47 PM
Did you not read the article? That's one of the main reasons why they're CONSIDERING the move; the other being consolidating locations in an effort to save money over the long run.

cranky

Mjcpr
3/16/2007, 03:54 PM
Crank this.

Fugue
3/16/2007, 03:58 PM
No, I prefer women.

Mjcpr
3/16/2007, 03:59 PM
Is Soonerus teaching a class on snappy comebacks?

bri
3/16/2007, 04:12 PM

And this pertains to the proposed new City Hall in what way, exactly?

NormanPride
3/16/2007, 04:52 PM
Well, she'll have to go there eventually, right? This would change where she has to go. :D

Mixer!
3/16/2007, 04:59 PM

I don't even know what means. I think it's a 1TC reference. :eek:

StoopTroup
3/16/2007, 05:03 PM
And this pertains to the proposed new City Hall in what way, exactly?
Tuba seemed upset with Mayor Taylor...

I was just tossing out some more bait. :D

:pop:

JohnnyMack
3/16/2007, 05:20 PM
Well I don't actually live in Tulsa, so I don't know if I'm allowed to have an opinion on this. But if I were allowed I'd say it's a good idea. I don't know how much I believe that the location of the current city hall is a prime place for a hotel or development, but I guess there are people smarter than me that think it's possible. It would be wedged up against the existing con. center and the Paige Belcher building so it wouldn't be right next to the new arena, but close enough.

I'm of the opinion that renting large amounts of office space in downtown Tulsa isn't as easy as snapping ones fingers, but I guess we'll see how much of that building they could fill up (law firms seem to make sense).

John Kochtoston
3/17/2007, 11:22 PM
Seems like every time I return to T-Town, there is plenty of unused office space throughout town. Couldn't the city just buy/lease an existing building?

hurricane'bone
3/18/2007, 01:22 PM
It IS an existing building.

BTW...I love the poll choices they are so black and white. You get one newspaper article followed by the usual rhetoric and your only poll choices are good and bad.

I'm taking a wait and see approach. You know...like not just start yelling and throwing a hissy fit in either direction.

OklahomaTuba
3/19/2007, 01:00 PM
I'm taking a wait and see approach. You know...like not just start yelling and throwing a hissy fit in either direction.

If you do the "wait and see" approach, chances are that the mayor of Tulsa will have already spent 80 Million bucks on a nice new office to go with the 20% raises she just gave her staff. (after less than a year on the job!!!)

Just ask yourself how the hell they plan to pay for all that. I know towns like Owasso, Broken Arrow, Jenks and Bixby will be celebrating. So will the criminals as well.

OklahomaTuba
3/19/2007, 01:07 PM
Here's an idear.

Why not apply for some federal funds for restoring historical places, and let the city restore the old Mayo Hotel????? It would be great to see a place like that alive again, and it is a beautiful building near all the existing civil infastructure.

I suspect they could buy that building for a lot less than 80 Million.

http://www.dismuke.org/how/howimage/hotelmayo.jpg

JohnnyMack
3/19/2007, 01:09 PM
If you do the "wait and see" approach, chances are that the mayor of Tulsa will have already spent 80 Million bucks on a nice new office to go with the 20% raises she just gave her staff. (after less than a year on the job!!!)

Just ask yourself how the hell they plan to pay for all that. I know towns like Owasso, Broken Arrow, Jenks and Bixby will be celebrating. So will the criminals as well.

Tuba, IF they could sell the land that City Hall currently sits on and IF they were able to rent out the remaining floors of the new City Hall, would you support it?

OklahomaTuba
3/19/2007, 01:12 PM
Tuba, IF they could sell the land that City Hall currently sits on and IF they were able to rent out the remaining floors of the new City Hall, would you support it?

I am sorry, but anyone who thinks the city is going to get 80 mill for that land is just either nuts or stupid...OR BOTH!

And if the city isn't using all that space, then they don't need a building that big in the first place, do they? That last thing a government needs to is an excuse to grow.

OklahomaTuba
3/19/2007, 01:16 PM
Sorry, I didn't answer your question though. If they could somehow get 80 million for the POS they are currently in, I still wouldn't support it cause that building is worth more to the city to lure potential employeers to expand the tax base than as a city office building. If the city wanted to buy it, and create some sort of business development zone, then I would be all for it.

JohnnyMack
3/19/2007, 01:30 PM
Sorry, I didn't answer your question though. If they could somehow get 80 million for the POS they are currently in, I still wouldn't support it cause that building is worth more to the city to lure potential employeers to expand the tax base than as a city office building. If the city wanted to buy it, and create some sort of business development zone, then I would be all for it.

The building isn't worth a fourth of 80 million. The way to get the most money is to flatten everything and develop the area out with some sort of mixed use development.

Also, I wonder if Bri is sitting and gnashing his teeth over the two Owasso-ites talking about what to do in Tulsa? :D

NormanPride
3/19/2007, 01:34 PM
They're fixing the roof on this thing as I speak. I think it leaked.

John Kochtoston
3/19/2007, 08:29 PM
It IS an existing building.

BTW...I love the poll choices they are so black and white. You get one newspaper article followed by the usual rhetoric and your only poll choices are good and bad.

Yeah. Reading is fundamental. :O

hurricane'bone
3/19/2007, 09:19 PM

It's Bri's fault

Mjcpr
3/20/2007, 07:37 AM

The City should use the one that leaks less.

StoopTroup
3/20/2007, 09:39 AM
BTW...

The City Hall property isn't the only property.

The actual newspaper article had a map with 13-15 properties that would all be consolidated. I may be reading more into this than I should but I think the Mayor believes the sale of all properties might offset the cost of buying the New Hall. One of the agencies was the Fire Dept. Headquarters and I'm not sure what all the others were. Park and Recreation maybe...?

Oh...

If any of you don't like the poll choices I made....

You could post your own poll.

I'm just sayin'....

OklahomaTuba
3/20/2007, 10:02 AM
If Tulsa wants a new city hall, that is fine. But if the city feels like it needs to spend 80 million dollars on something that brings no real value to the people of the city, spend 80 million fixing up a historic building like the Mayo instead.

The Mayo could be restored and updated to fit the needs of the city government, and they would be preserving an invaluable piece of Tulsa's history.

JohnnyMack
3/20/2007, 10:11 AM
If Tulsa wants a new city hall, that is fine. But if the city feels like it needs to spend 80 million dollars on something that brings no real value to the people of the city, spend 80 million fixing up a historic building like the Mayo instead.

The Mayo could be restored and updated to fit the needs of the city government, and they would be preserving an invaluable piece of Tulsa's history.

I would imagine there's less sf available in the Mayo than in the WilTel building. No?

NormanPride
3/20/2007, 10:13 AM
The Mayo also doesn't have sweet elevators with sexy voices and a reflecting pool on the 4th floor. :D

OklahomaTuba
3/20/2007, 10:17 AM
I would imagine there's less sf available in the Mayo than in the WilTel building. No?

No doubt.

Then again, the city said they really don't need all the space in the dirty ice cube if they buy it. I am sure a building the size of the Mayo could be configured to meet their needs.

And if not, make the government smaller.

JohnnyMack
3/20/2007, 10:21 AM
And if not, make the government smaller.

<giggles>

NormanPride
3/20/2007, 10:28 AM
Yeah, that's just crazy talk, Tuba. :D

Mjcpr
3/20/2007, 10:39 AM
The actual newspaper article had a map with 13-15 properties that would all be consolidated. I may be reading more into this than I should but I think the Mayor believes the sale of all properties might offset the cost of buying the New Hall.

You're wasting your bref.

StoopTroup
3/21/2007, 12:37 PM

Yeah...

I know.

OklahomaTuba
3/21/2007, 01:16 PM

Only if you really think all those properties will some how raise 80 Mill.

I doubt all of downtown could fetch that at this point.

Mjcpr
3/21/2007, 01:34 PM
They likely won't....but they will reduce the amount to finance significantly. And nobody has said that $80 million is the agreed-to purchase price of OTC that I know of.