PDA

View Full Version : I give OU two years to get back...

Soonerus
3/15/2007, 11:57 PM
...into the mix and be mentioned in national prominence discussions...otherwise, a change is in order BUT I think Capel will do it !!!

tommieharris91
3/15/2007, 11:58 PM
I think most OU fans are doing the same. I know I am.

Remember, Capel recruited Virginia Commonwealth's players.

LittleWingSooner
3/15/2007, 11:59 PM
I don't know about 2 years. I think maybe 3. It's gonna take a longer time to get back to being really good when you base it off young talent.

Soonerus
3/16/2007, 12:00 AM
I don't know about 2 years. I think maybe 3. It's gonna take a longer time to get back to being really good when you base it off young talent.

We'll see, I think 2 years is enough...

SleestakSooner
3/16/2007, 12:04 AM
If OU is not at the very least on the bubble for the big dance in two years I will feel I gave Capel too much credit. I believe he will have OU back to the dance Sooner rather than later.

Soonerus
3/16/2007, 12:06 AM
I think Capel is the "real deal"...

tommieharris91
3/16/2007, 12:07 AM
I two years we better be staring at at least a 6 seed for the NCAAs.

OSUAggie
3/16/2007, 12:38 AM
Next year will tell a lot with Capel. If you guys are still "hanging tough" in most games but coming up short, I think you'll start to get really impatient with him. It seems like he'll be able to win pretty consistently at OU, but only time will tell.

poke4christ
3/16/2007, 12:53 AM
Capel needs a total of four years with the group he started with.

LittleWingSooner
3/16/2007, 12:55 AM
I don't know about that, I think OU can be a Tournament team if they get any points from the wings.

Big Red Ron
3/16/2007, 01:38 AM
OU is a PG away from the NCAA tournament this year. I fully expect for next year's season to end up in an NCAA bid and probably a first round loss. When the Griffins are Sr. and Soph, and our bigtime PG coming in having two yoears in the system, 2008-09 we could be special.

oumartin
3/16/2007, 02:03 AM
if we dont' win it in two years i want him gone ;)

LittleWingSooner
3/16/2007, 02:24 AM
OU is a PG away from the NCAA tournament this year. I fully expect for next year's season to end up in an NCAA bid and probably a first round loss. When the Griffins are Sr. and Soph, and our bigtime PG coming in having two yoears in the system, 2008-09 we could be special.

I don't know if a point helps a team that gets nothing from the wings.

lubbocksooner
3/16/2007, 08:09 AM
I don't know if a point helps a team that gets nothing from the wings.

It does if he/she can get them the ball with just a little extra room to get off a shot without someone in their face. I think without serious injuries we should be a bubble team next year and definitaly a tourny team after that, maybe top 25....who knows.

LittleWingSooner
3/16/2007, 08:12 AM
We had open looks with our guards all year long. That wasn't really a problem this year. Neal couldn't hit a 3. None of our other guards could make any open looks either. Also we don't need to be seeing our inside players shooting jumpers. They can't make them.

lubbocksooner
3/16/2007, 09:06 AM
We had open looks with our guards all year long. That wasn't really a problem this year. Neal couldn't hit a 3. None of our other guards could make any open looks either. Also we don't need to be seeing our inside players shooting jumpers. They can't make them.

Points taken. Hopefully we will get at least one shooter or improvement in the ones we have. A good PG would probably help with the post players getting the ball down low. It is all part of a balanced team and I think we were unbalanced this year.

stoopified
3/16/2007, 10:29 AM
if we dont' win it in two years i want him gone ;)DNever mind,damn gremlins.

stoopified
3/16/2007, 10:34 AM
if we dont' win it in two years i want him gone ;)Is there a fire Jeff Cappell thread lurking in the future? :)

SleestakSooner
3/16/2007, 12:51 PM

What is needed is a strong inside presence. Either a point guard that can penetrate to the basket w/o losing the ball or one that can pass to the post w/o broadcasting the incoming pass or turning it over. Once OU can consistently get to the inside of a defense then they can play the inside-out game that is necessary for open looks beyond the three point line.

So yes a good point guard is what is missing and what OU needed this year. Hopefully Maze can become that guy if OU can't pull in Jai Lucas.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/19/2007, 12:49 PM

If we land Jai Lucas I think we are NCAA tourney caliber next year, at worst right on the bubble. I think we are already in pretty good shape in the 2-4 spots with the players we have returning. Maze probably could become a pretty good PG in time but it is sort of like taking a good 3B and trying to make him a SS. Put a good PG out there that can penetrate and give our 2-guards and wings open looks and I think they will look much better.

I think we will be a perinnial NCAA tourney team (again) starting in 08-09. Whether we become a final 4 contender it is still to be seen but I think the future looks pretty good.

Eielson
3/19/2007, 01:05 PM
I think by 2009 we will start having high seeded teams if:

1. We get Jai Lucas.
2. ^^^Our success will most likely depend on him, but anyway will work. We somehow attract Xavier Henry's attention and get him to sign with us.
3. Nobody transfers.

This lineup would be super duper! We could do well the next year too as long as nobody goes pro early and we can keep Hardrick or maybe add Orton.

Jai Lucas- Jr.
Xavier Henry- Fr.
Tony Crocker- Sr.
Keith Clark- Sr. (?)
Blake Griffin- Jr.

Wishful thinking, but nonetheless it excites me.

LittleWingSooner
3/20/2007, 10:29 AM
I think we can be a tournament team by this time next year. Probably around 7-11 seed if. But we need to have Crocker step up that's the biggest factor for next year. We'll get points from Longar, the Griffin brothers will get their 8 or so points and 5+ rebounds. Taylor could score about 11 and 7 boards. But if Crocker is as inconsistent as he was last year then it'll be a tough year for OU basketball. It doesnt really matter if we get Lucas or a good point guard. We need Crocker to be our best scorer.