PDA

View Full Version : Music downloading knowledge possessors

Osce0la
3/15/2007, 09:40 AM
What are some good sites to download MP3s from? I don't want to have to pay a ton, but want to be able to get a decent amount of music. I have had the VCast thing on my phone for free for the last month, but that is getting cancelled tomorrow or Saturday because I am not paying $30/month to keep it. I have downloaded 20-25 songs from it so far and have plenty of memory left to download more, but if I keep VCast it would cost me $15/line per month, plus $1.99/song. I know there has to be some better places to get MP3s that won't cost me $40+ every month. Then I can just buy the cable to have the songs sent from my computer to my phone...

suggestions?

SoonerStormchaser
3/15/2007, 09:42 AM
KazAA...napster...

Oh wait...ummm...I mean...

I have no knowledge about those sites.

Osce0la
3/15/2007, 09:47 AM
Don't Kazaa and Napster charge you now? I used Kazaa and Napster a few years ago, but then when people had to change song titles to try to get around sharing music I quit using it (for instance I had to search for "Beer Man" to find Pearl Jam's "Better Man")...

Last time I checked out Kazaa I think they had the pop up ad thing, and the pop ups you got depended on what you were searching for on their site. I decided not to finish the download for Kazaa because I didn't want the annoying a** pop ups...

springs sooner
3/15/2007, 10:47 AM
I use a program called DC++. My wife got it from one her Our Lady Peace websites. It is a file SHARING site so you cant get busted. Unless of course you are sharing pron. they have tons of public hubs from all around the world but the main one i use is out of Canada. I have got well over 30G of music at no charge. you just have to share some of your stuff.

Osce0la
3/15/2007, 11:07 AM
I use a program called DC++. My wife got it from one her Our Lady Peace websites. It is a file SHARING site so you cant get busted. Unless of course you are sharing pron. they have tons of public hubs from all around the world but the main one i use is out of Canada. I have got well over 30G of music at no charge. you just have to share some of your stuff.
Does it matter that I have nothing downloaded on my PC right now? Once I got some stuff downloaded I'd have no problem with teh sharing files thing, but as of now I have nothing downloaded on my computer...

Hatfield
3/15/2007, 11:14 AM
are you agin itunes?

yermom
3/15/2007, 11:23 AM
i'm agin iTunes... just give me an mp3, dammit!

Limewire is still free, and comes with no spyware unlike KaZaa

King Crimson
3/15/2007, 11:54 AM
yeah, that's what i was going to say about Kazaa. and put me in the anti-itunes group. i like my ipod but i find itunes to be sort of dumb....and they have all these incomplete records (like the double CD version of Gram Parsons GP/Grievous Angel and something else i noticed....I think it was an Afghan Whigs record--i want the whole record, not 18 of 20 tracks....wtf? no thanks). itunes also has VERY LITTLE non major label stuff.

and for managing files, winamp is far superior to me in terms of ease and not being stupid. itunes is basically windows media player.

springs sooner
3/15/2007, 12:16 PM
Does it matter that I have nothing downloaded on my PC right now? Once I got some stuff downloaded I'd have no problem with teh sharing files thing, but as of now I have nothing downloaded on my computer...

most folks will link like program files or something with enough size. usually 2G worth to get started, then when they get music or videos you are good to go. If you have games that works too.

rufnek05
3/15/2007, 12:18 PM
i use lime wire pro, no problems with it

yermom
3/15/2007, 12:23 PM
yeah, that's what i was going to say about Kazaa. and put me in the anti-itunes group. i like my ipod but i find itunes to be sort of dumb....and they have all these incomplete records (like the double CD version of Gram Parsons GP/Grievous Angel and something else i noticed....I think it was an Afghan Whigs record--i want the whole record, not 18 of 20 tracks....wtf? no thanks). itunes also has VERY LITTLE non major label stuff.

and for managing files, winamp is far superior to me in terms of ease and not being stupid. itunes is basically windows media player.

i kinda like iTunes the application, just not the crappy music files from the ITMS

it does seem to have stability and resourse hogging issues though

IronSooner
3/15/2007, 03:08 PM
I still prefer winamp, but then I've used it since 1998. Since I had to rip all my CDs to get them onto my ipod I now do use itunes when I'm too lazy to put a CD in my player. But if I have the single mp3 of it, I choose winamp.

Fraggle145
3/15/2007, 03:27 PM
http://www.slsknet.org/

I use soulseek... it works pretty well is alot like napster used to be. you can vids etc off of it too.

My uncle told me about this site http://www.allofmp3.com/. it looks like it is cheap... didnt read through all fo the rules