PDA

View Full Version : speaking of tattoo's

jk the sooner fan
3/15/2007, 09:10 AM
so this morning I'm walking thru the aisle here at work, between the row of desks.....and i notice one of the girls that works for me has a HUGE tramp stamp tattoo

she's a really cute mexican gal, sweet as can be.....so i ask her about her new art work

she says its a big heart with a cross thru it, and a banner that has something like "i love the lord"

just seems like a strange place to put that kind of tat.....

Boomer.....
3/15/2007, 09:14 AM
Where?

jk the sooner fan
3/15/2007, 09:17 AM
tramp stamp = lower back

right above the crack of her backside

OU4LIFE
3/15/2007, 09:18 AM
it's a "bullseye for Jesus!!!!" Hallelujah!

Hatfield
3/15/2007, 09:21 AM
technically, any tattoo expressing love for the lord is delicious ironing as the lord aint down with the tattoo.

ink or midget

sooner_born_1960
3/15/2007, 09:22 AM
I didn't realize He commented one way or the other on the subject.

jk the sooner fan
3/15/2007, 09:24 AM
it's a "bullseye for Jesus!!!!" Hallelujah!

pretty much

and 1960 - "THINK" (stressing that word) that there is verbage in the bible about marking up or destroying your body

its a loose translation, but its there

SoonerStormchaser
3/15/2007, 09:26 AM
http://www.retroclobber.co.uk/movie-t-shirts/images/tshirts/herve-villechaize-little-friend-t-shirt-logo.gif

Why do you hate Herve Villechaize?

Hatfield
3/15/2007, 09:27 AM
I didn't realize He commented one way or the other on the subject.

he/she may not have but the book purporting to be his/her word does. :D

Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.
Leviticus 19:28

tbl
3/15/2007, 09:32 AM
No it doesn't. The only passage that addresses tattoo's is in the the levitical law, and it has nothing to do with tattoo's themselves, but the religious ceremonies the nations around Israel did practice that involved cutting and tattooing.

Context, context, context....

Lev 19:27 " 'Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard.
28 " 'Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD.

sanantoniosooner
3/15/2007, 09:35 AM
Body modifications were a common way to express devotion to one's god back then and even today.

God was pretty specific about the ways he wanted to be honored. Mimicking how others honored their gods was something that he discouraged highly.

I think a lot of people are genuine in what they are trying to accomplish with a "christian" tat, but it's not very consistent with scripture.

Hatfield
3/15/2007, 09:36 AM
justify your defiance of the word of the lord all you want heathen.

when you die pack light....gonna be hot. ;)

sanantoniosooner
3/15/2007, 09:39 AM
justify your defiance of the word of the lord all you want heathen.
geeze dude.

Don't you have a funeral to picket or something?;)

OU4LIFE
3/15/2007, 09:39 AM
IBTD

I KNEW I shouldn't be cutting my hair.....

tbl
3/15/2007, 09:42 AM
Body modifications were a common way to express devotion to one's god back then and even today.

God was pretty specific about the ways he wanted to be honored. Mimicking how others honored their gods was something that he discouraged highly.

I think a lot of people are genuine in what they are trying to accomplish with a "christian" tat, but it's not very consistent with scripture.
We're talking about the leviticial law though. The passage immediately before it stated that we should not cut the hair at the sides of our heads or clip our beards. I get what you're saying, but ultimately it is not a part of the moral law, but rather one of the many things that OT Israel was to do to show their obedience to the Lord (which mainly involved separating themselves from the heathen nations around them).

sooner_born_1960
3/15/2007, 09:43 AM
Should the entire body of Levitical Law be taken literally? If not, who decides which parts should be followed?

Osce0la
3/15/2007, 09:44 AM
There was a Christian comedian (I wanna say something like Mark Lowery) that said something about this (more along the lines of the hair cutting thing)in one of his shows. He basically said it stated that it was "shameful" and that "shameful" and sin are 2 different things. He then went on to say something to the effect of "It's a shame it's too hot in here tonight...that doesn't mean it's a sin...".

C&CDean
3/15/2007, 09:45 AM
I love it when commies and heathens start throwing around scripture and then try to tell us what it says/means. This is how religions were formed.

sanantoniosooner
We're talking about the leviticial law though. The passage immediately before it stated that we should not cut the hair at the sides of our heads or clip our beards. I get what you're saying, but ultimately it is not a part of the moral law, but rather one of the many things that OT Israel was to do to show their obedience to the Lord (which mainly involved separating themselves from the heathen nations around them).
There were cases where the Israelites worshiped God in the same manner the pagans did their gods. He wasn't too happy about it.

I think the concept of a "God" tattoo is poorly reasoned out, but I don't rip people for doing it.

leavingthezoo

Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.
Leviticus 19:28

what about the not dead?

:pop:

OU4LIFE
Should the entire body of Levitical Law be taken literally? If not, who decides which parts should be followed?

dude, The Book is to be taken literally.

period.

Mjcpr
3/15/2007, 09:46 AM
Tramp Stamps to Jeebus in 30 minutes!

sanantoniosooner
3/15/2007, 09:47 AM
I love it when commies and heathens start throwing around scripture and then try to tell us what it says/means. This is how religions were formed.
yeah yeah

we know your stance on more than 5 believers in close proximity

tbl
3/15/2007, 09:49 AM
There were cases where the Israelites worshiped God in the same manner the pagans did their gods. He wasn't too happy about it.

I think the concept of a "God" tattoo is poorly reasoned out, but I don't rip people for doing it.
If we're talking about being an orthodox Jew, then we'd obviously have a problem, but we're talking about Christianity. It's the whole law/grace thing. Paul addresses this very clearly in Romans.

picasso
3/15/2007, 09:49 AM
"never go out with a girl who has a tattoo of a dagger on her back..."

Hatfield
3/15/2007, 09:51 AM
what about the not dead?

:pop:

it seems cuttings for the not dead are a-ok....tattoos would still appear to be off limits though since it follows the "or" without the dead qualifier.

but luckily it sounds like you can just pick and choose stuff to follow from the OT so the heathen hair cutters have that going for them. ;)

SoonerBorn68
delicious ironing

:confused: Is this a new band I haven't heard about?

sooner_born_1960
dude, The Book is to be taken literally.

period.
I always considered it more a set of guidelines than a code.

sanantoniosooner
3/15/2007, 09:52 AM
If we're talking about being an orthodox Jew, then we'd obviously have a problem, but we're talking about Christianity. It's the whole law/grace thing. Paul addresses this very clearly in Romans.
I would disagree with this, but more power to you.

Hatfield
3/15/2007, 09:52 AM
well sas you wear a mask...you can obviously not be trusted.

leavingthezoo
3/15/2007, 09:54 AM
we should probably all go pluck an eye out.

jk the sooner fan
3/15/2007, 09:55 AM
the tattoo is pretty gawdy looking

the last thing i'd want to see while in "that position"

is "that tattoo"

leavingthezoo
3/15/2007, 09:57 AM
somehow i'm thinking most people don't want to be starin' down a Jesus tribute during the naughty deed.

TUSooner
3/15/2007, 09:58 AM
First instantaneous thought whenever I see ANY tattoo: Too much to drink.
Second thought: Too much idle time on the brain. (Translation: Needs a real life.)

JMHO; no theology involved. Tat away if that's your bag.

jk the sooner fan
3/15/2007, 09:58 AM
zactly

sanantoniosooner
3/15/2007, 09:59 AM
Second thought: Too much idle time on the brain. (Translation: Needs a real life.)

You left out hard earned cash down the toilet.

leavingthezoo
3/15/2007, 10:02 AM

interesting. that's what i think when people post on message boards. losers.

:D

wait...

OU4LIFE
3/15/2007, 10:30 AM
You left out hard earned cash down the toilet.

so, as long as it's easy earned cash, it's A-OK? ;)

TUSooner
3/15/2007, 10:34 AM
interesting. that's what i think when people post on message boards. losers.

:D

wait...

But posting is a much more discrete form of loser-ness. :D

StoopTroup
3/15/2007, 10:40 AM
I don't know what to do now...

I'm gonna keep posting until we figure this tat thing out. :D

sanantoniosooner
3/15/2007, 10:40 AM
so, as long as it's easy earned cash, it's A-OK? ;)
I've never encountered that kind.

leavingthezoo
3/15/2007, 10:50 AM
this thread makes tramp stamp Jesus cry.

achiro
3/15/2007, 11:24 AM
Some friends from church(who happen to watch our kids for us sometimes) just let their kid get a cross tat on his arm for his 16th b-day. I have a huge problem with it...for many reasons.

rufnek05
3/15/2007, 12:14 PM
i have a buddy who got a tattoo at 16, says he regrets it everyday.