PDA

View Full Version : Our Justice system works!

Sooner in Tampa
3/15/2007, 05:30 AM
Jury Recommends Death For Couey (http://www.tbo.com/news/nationworld/MGBEYZ9OAZE.html)

After about an hour and 10 minutes of deliberation, they had come to a decision.

A third hearing is needed because the defense still argues that Couey is mentally retarded. Florida law prohibits executing the retarded.
Through much of the trial, Couey seemed distant and spent several hours scratching in coloring books with pencils.

George Kanaris owns Emily's Restaurant in Homosassa Springs, where Couey worked as a dishwasher for 2 1/2 years in the early 1990s.
"You want to see the real John Couey?" Kanaris asked rhetorically. "Give him a case of beer. You won't see him coloring in coloring books."

Since most of you probably don't know about John Couey, here is the what he did.

He walked into this little girls trailer and abducted he on Feb 24, 2005. He then raped her and buried her alive in a trash bag with a purple dolphin that her dad had recently won for her at fair.

Prosecutors contend that Couey walked into the Lunsfords' mobile home, 150 yards from where he lived, in a burglary attempt. He noticed Jessie and motioned for her to follow him. Back at his mobile home, Couey raped Jessie and told her to step into a black plastic trash bag, prosecutors said. He placed another bag over her head, prosecutors said, and buried her alive.
Five photographs of Jessie's body were entered into evidence Friday. The jury saw three of them.
Audience members in the courtroom were not permitted to see the photos. Per Florida law, members of the media were allowed to view them but forbidden to make reproductions.
The first depicted a square grave, dug 4 feet into the red dirt. Inside were the black garbage bags, obviously containing Jessie's remains.
The second and third photos showed the bags, one showing a close-up of two fingers caked in red mud protruding from the plastic.
The fourth photo, the most gruesome, showed Jessie lying in the fetal position, her face pressed into the purple stuffed dolphin she was clutching with her bound hands. Her legs and arms were black and blue with pooled blood.
The final picture showed a close-up of Jessie's hands bound with speaker wire. Her decaying skin looked like plastic.

As you can see, the only defense is that he is "retarded"...they played it up well, but it really doesn't seem like it will stick.

Hopefully the judge will take the jury's recommendation.

RIP Jessie.:(
http://snap.tbo.com/images/photos/100038/2007/02/08/gallery/1568939.jpg

Jerk
3/15/2007, 05:49 AM
That as*hole needs to die a very painful and miserable death.

Has the ACLU appealed his case, yet?

Sooner in Tampa
3/15/2007, 06:02 AM
That as*hole needs to die a very painful and miserable death.

Has the ACLU appealed his case, yet?No sign of the ACLU...yet.
I REALLY think they would be stupid to get involved in this one. He confessed to the murder, but it was ruled inadmissable(don't remember why)and they still had a slam dunk case.

OUinFLA
3/15/2007, 07:24 AM
Amazingly the little girl's father has come across as a well manered, thoughtful, yet grieving father throughout this whole media circus.

He has not ranted nor demanded. He has been gracious and inspirational in the pursuit of justice.

At one point last week, he commented on the defense's statement about the killer being disadvantaged and having been made fun of as a child. He said, "I had no advantages, I have always had big ears, and when I was a kid I was made fun of everyday. It's just something you have to accept and deal with then go about your life making the best of yourself you can. I turned out ok."

He has handled this whole ordeal and the huge amount of media attention in a very classy way. Never being afraid to show his emotional grief, yet never losing focus on his campaign to enact any legislation that would prevent a similar tragedy from happening to another parent.

Mr. Lundsford rates 5 stars IMO.

Sooner in Tampa
3/15/2007, 07:28 AM
He has handled this whole ordeal and the huge amount of media attention in a very classy way. Never being afraid to show his emotional grief, yet never losing focus on his campaign to enact any legislation that would prevent a similar tragedy from happening to another parent.

Mr. Lundsford rates 5 stars IMO.
Yes he has and I agree about the 5 stars.

Mark Lundsford has been a class act since the start of this horrendous ordeal.

SoonerInFla
3/15/2007, 08:20 AM
The six-man, six-woman jury returned its 10-2 recommendation after just 75 minutes of deliberation and less than two days of testimony that painted competing portraits of the convicted sex offender who has come to symbolize many a parent's worst nightmare.

I was shocked that there were actually 2 people that believe this POS should be allowed to live. Even worse he will be living off taxpayers money for 10-20 years before they actually load his *** up with whatever it is they're killing em off with these days.

Scott D
3/15/2007, 08:28 AM
I was shocked that there were actually 2 people that believe this POS should be allowed to live. Even worse he will be living off taxpayers money for 10-20 years before they actually load his *** up with whatever it is they're killing em off with these days.

there will always be people who will have issues with being a decision maker in ending someone else's life. And there will always be people who are oppossed to any sort of capital punishment. It's part of the kit and kaboodle of humanity.

SoonerStormchaser
3/15/2007, 08:42 AM
Hell, I'd let the dad flip the switch to fry that piece of human filth.

SoonerInFla
3/15/2007, 08:45 AM
there will always be people who will have issues with being a decision maker in ending someone else's life. And there will always be people who are oppossed to any sort of capital punishment. It's part of the kit and kaboodle of humanity.

I bet if it had been one of their own children in the photos showing the poor girls fingers that had clawed her way through the garbage bag this sick bastard buried her in after he raped her they would of voted for execution.

Hatfield
3/15/2007, 08:54 AM

if you are concerned about money it actually costs more to put them to death due to all the mandatory appeals and what not.

and how people commit crimes of this nature are beyond me. sickening.

Sooner in Tampa
3/15/2007, 09:00 AM
Hell, I'd let the dad flip the switch to fry that piece of human filth.HEH...and don't let him wet the sponge.

Scott D
3/15/2007, 11:07 AM
I bet if it had been one of their own children in the photos showing the poor girls fingers that had clawed her way through the garbage bag this sick bastard buried her in after he raped her they would of voted for execution.

perhaps. I think it's likely that the two 'holdouts' were two of the six women on the jury. It doesn't mean that they don't think the 'sick bastard' needs to be punished for his crime, but rather that they couldn't in their conscience condemn another person to death.

I would actually think as a jurist, you are best served by trying to be as emotionally detached from a case as possible.

Keep in mind, I'm in favor of the death penalty for this guy.

MamaMia
3/15/2007, 01:05 PM
Amazingly the little girl's father has come across as a well manered, thoughtful, yet grieving father throughout this whole media circus.
Yes he has, but there was a certain look in his eyes though during this whole ordeal. I just have a feeling that Mr. Lunsford was at that hearing to make sure this monster would be sentenced to death, so he wouldn't have to kill him himself.

I hope they bury that pervert in a trash bag.