PDA

View Full Version : A couple of internet/tv service questions......

OU-HSV
3/14/2007, 09:42 PM
...So, currently I have cox digital cable w/a DVR. I've been looking at ways to save some money on monthly bills and I've noticed that Dish Network and Direct TV seem to be a better deal than COX...not to mention I occasionally have some trouble w/my cox cable. I found out I must have a phone land line in order for Dish n.w. or Direct tv to work in their full capacity. So I stopped in the local "Windstream" store to check into their "bundles". They have a pretty good deal that includes Dish Networks top 200 channels (plus 3 months of a free movie channel), DSL internet service, and a phone line. My problem is that I really don't know anything about DSL internet service compared to my current cox high speed internet service. Do any of you know how well DSL seems to work? Is anyone here using Windstream? How about Direct TV Versus Dish Network?? One thing I'm certain of is that no matter what I decide to switch to it will include a DVR because those things are the neatest things since sliced bread.
Thanks for any input you all may have.

booomer
3/14/2007, 09:52 PM
I don't have a phone land line and I have Dish with DVR and I prefer it to Direct TV which I had for 7 years. I've been with Dish since December 2004.

The rest of your question I can't answer. I've never had Cox and I have wireless internet.

OU-HSV
3/14/2007, 10:01 PM
I don't have a phone land line and I have Dish with DVR and I prefer it to Direct TV which I had for 7 years. I've been with Dish since December 2004.

The rest of your question I can't answer. I've never had Cox and I have wireless internet.
Thanks for the input..Can you buy ppv movies even w/out a land phone line?

olevetonahill
3/14/2007, 10:07 PM
Should be able to order On line or By phone .

stoops the eternal pimp
3/14/2007, 10:15 PM
I ve had dish for 5 years...Little less expensive that direct....I have SBC DSL which may not be as fast but is fast enough

If you go through SBC, they have a dish network/dsl/phone line package

OU-HSV
3/15/2007, 07:58 AM
I ve had dish for 5 years...Little less expensive that direct....I have SBC DSL which may not be as fast but is fast enough

If you go through SBC, they have a dish network/dsl/phone line package
Thanks, I may check into SBC then. WIndstream is the company that bought out Valor here in Broken Arrow. Sounds like SBC and Windstream offer the same bundle package.

Boomer.....
3/15/2007, 08:34 AM
I currently have the bundle with Cox. I used to have DSL with SBC and the cable internet is much faster. Either will be much faster than dial-up, but I have heard that cable is around 4.5x faster than dsl. Maybe that is the fastest cable internet, I don't know. What do you currently pay and what are you looking at paying?

Turd_Ferguson
3/15/2007, 09:24 AM
We used to have Dish until I asked for a free DVR. They were giving them to new customers, but wouldn't give one to me even though I had been a subscriber for about 10yrs.:confused: So, I called Direct and got their service along with the free DVR. I also like the format of Direct a little better as well. Both have cost us about the same, about 70 a month. My biggest problem now, is when watching live TV, my blood pressure go's up about 90 points when a commercial comes on. ****ing commercials, I hate them mother****ers! It took a DVR for me to realize that there are typically 4-5 minutes of air time chewed up by them bastards.

I had the land line and DSL through Pioneer. The phone ran about 40 a month and the DSL ran 50 for their supposed 1500kbps. I turned off Pioneer completely, phone and DSL, and had Atlinkwifi installed. It downloads at a true 1500, and cost 40 a month.

booomer
3/15/2007, 12:41 PM

Yes, I order them online. Its quick and easy.

Getem
3/15/2007, 05:39 PM
Cable internet is faster than DSL, but you might not notice it much in casual browsing, just downloading large files. I get 12 mbps from some places.

OUHOMER
3/15/2007, 06:45 PM
We used to have Dish until I asked for a free DVR. They were giving them to new customers, but wouldn't give one to me even though I had been a subscriber for about 10yrs.:confused: So, I called Direct and got their service along with the free DVR. I also like the format of Direct a little better as well. Both have cost us about the same, about 70 a month. My biggest problem now, is when watching live TV, my blood pressure go's up about 90 points when a commercial comes on. ****ing commercials, I hate them mother****ers! It took a DVR for me to realize that there are typically 4-5 minutes of air time chewed up by them bastards.

I had the land line and DSL through Pioneer. The phone ran about 40 a month and the DSL ran 50 for their supposed 1500kbps. I turned off Pioneer completely, phone and DSL, and had Atlinkwifi installed. It downloads at a true 1500, and cost 40 a month.

I got atlinlkwifi now and i love it. i got dish but no DR:mad:

OU-HSV
3/15/2007, 06:48 PM
I currently have the bundle with Cox. I used to have DSL with SBC and the cable internet is much faster. Either will be much faster than dial-up, but I have heard that cable is around 4.5x faster than dsl. Maybe that is the fastest cable internet, I don't know. What do you currently pay and what are you looking at paying?
Well, my cable bill runs about $112.00/month and that's for the digital cable and one DVR box and the internet. The deals I've seen for the bundles that include phone service range around $100.00. So my thinking is why not make the change over to Dish, DSL and a land line if it's cheaper. If I do the dish "top 200" it looks like I'd get about the same channels as I get w/cox if not more. Plus for 3 months I'd get HBO, Cinemax, or showtime free. But I thought I'd get some of your opinions to help me decide.

OUHOMER
3/15/2007, 07:34 PM
I am looking at my bill now for dish, Without DVR. top 200 with local chanels- $47.99, extra receiver- $5.00- 2 premium pacges - $22.00 total-$74.99.

i just added the local chanels and they were suppose to drop cinemax, but they didnt for some reason. i will have to call and find out. Did not want my cable bill to get any higher.

bluedogok
3/15/2007, 09:40 PM
I have had DirecTV for 8 years, switched from the poor Multimedia Cablevision in The Village not too long after the tornado went through there.

I have an HD-DVR, a DirecTivo-SD and 2 other regular SD boxes, I have the Total Choice Plus package, HD, Sports Pack, NFL Sunday Ticket w/ Superfan, MLB Extra Innings and NHL Center Ice and my bill is around $150 a month. I do have a cable modem, the only service that I have from Time Warner Cable, I was on the very edge of a DSL service ring down here at the time that I moved from OKC.

I will not go with cable for television, it just doesn't offer what I want. Plus, if any OU games are on PPV, DirecTV usually has them. I know TimeWarner Cable-Austin will not, but ooohhh I could get Bevo On Demand :(

Mjcpr
3/16/2007, 07:38 AM
So basically, they're all about the same price.

IB4OU2
3/16/2007, 08:14 AM
I have DISH via Satellte and love it. We have the Platinum membership and the quality of the Voom channels on HDTV is amazing. We have a bundle DSL package with SBC and have had excellent service via our DSL link.

We used to have Direct TV but we like Dish ALOT more. :)

OU-HSV
3/16/2007, 08:16 AM
I have had DirecTV for 8 years, switched from the poor Multimedia Cablevision in The Village not too long after the tornado went through there.

I have an HD-DVR, a DirecTivo-SD and 2 other regular SD boxes, I have the Total Choice Plus package, HD, Sports Pack, NFL Sunday Ticket w/ Superfan, MLB Extra Innings and NHL Center Ice and my bill is around $150 a month. I do have a cable modem, the only service that I have from Time Warner Cable, I was on the very edge of a DSL service ring down here at the time that I moved from OKC.

I will not go with cable for television, it just doesn't offer what I want. Plus, if any OU games are on PPV, DirecTV usually has them. I know TimeWarner Cable-Austin will not, but ooohhh I could get Bevo On Demand :(
Sounds like you've got a lot of choices when you turn your t.v. on!

OU-HSV
3/16/2007, 08:19 AM
So basically, they're all about the same price.
Seems like it. So my main concern would be dropping my cox internet service & picking up DSL. But many of you have said DSL is slower, but fine for surfing/browsing, etc. so my guess at this point is that I'll be fine if I make the change.

Mjcpr
3/16/2007, 08:22 AM
So why are you dropping it if the price is about the same?

I guess the DSL is a little cheaper....you can get different levels of cable internet too, so you could possibly save a little $ there. And their phone service too I guess.

Boomer.....
3/16/2007, 08:38 AM
Just drop you cable internet speed down a notch and just have basic phone and you should be fine. It probably is a hassle to cancel and then reconnect to another provider. Not to mention the time it takes for them to come out and set everything up.

OU-HSV
3/17/2007, 07:55 AM
So why are you dropping it if the price is about the same?

I guess the DSL is a little cheaper....you can get different levels of cable internet too, so you could possibly save a little $ there. And their phone service too I guess.
Yeah, I guess I'll stick w/cox since the prices are so close. I guess the only way Dish could save me a good amount of money is if I got it w/out getting a phone line.

Vaevictis
3/17/2007, 08:00 AM
You could always hook it up to a VOIP box and run the calls out over the internet.

Rogue
3/17/2007, 08:15 AM
I don't even have a phone line coming to the house. It was built in 04 and I knew I'd be going with cable. Mrs. Rogue occasionally calls Comcast to see if there are any deals and for awhile they'd give her one about every 3 months. Now, they don't. I love the digital cable and internet speed, but it does seem expensive considering what I don't get. Namely ESPNU, Fox Southwest (hell any FOX other than the SEC variety), and big 3 network feeds from major metros. I can't for the life of me figure out why they don't offer all of the regional sports networks nationwide. Thank goodness for TNT and the other networks that carried so many OU games the past couple of years.

And the bill is way too friggin' high. About $135/mo. I'm gettin' hosed.

Another question, it sounds like you have a choice almost everywhere of which satellite co. to use. Does anyone have a choice in cable providers yet?
I don't here.

OU-HSV
3/17/2007, 08:21 AM
I don't even have a phone line coming to the house. It was built in 04 and I knew I'd be going with cable. Mrs. Rogue occasionally calls Comcast to see if there are any deals and for awhile they'd give her one about every 3 months. Now, they don't. I love the digital cable and internet speed, but it does seem expensive considering what I don't get. Namely ESPNU, Fox Southwest (hell any FOX other than the SEC variety), and big 3 network feeds from major metros. I can't for the life of me figure out why they don't offer all of the regional sports networks nationwide. Thank goodness for TNT and the other networks that carried so many OU games the past couple of years.

And the bill is way too friggin' high. About $135/mo. I'm gettin' hosed.

Another question, it sounds like you have a choice almost everywhere of which satellite co. to use. Does anyone have a choice in cable providers yet?
I don't here.
See..thats one of the other things..there's a couple sports channels i could get w/dish or direct tv. Im pretty sure here in the Tulsa area Cox is the only cable provider. But as you said, many choices on satellite.

OU-HSV
3/17/2007, 08:22 AM
You could always hook it up to a VOIP box and run the calls out over the internet.
:confused:

Vaevictis
3/17/2007, 08:23 AM
Voice over IP

OU-HSV
3/17/2007, 08:25 AM
Ahh..gotcha

Vaevictis
3/17/2007, 08:30 AM
Of course, that might not work out too well, given that VoIP doesn't have the same QoS assurances that a plain old telephone line has, and those boxes are probably using some kind of modem.

Also, I may be mistaken, but I believe the main service that will be cut off by not having a phone line hooked up to the satellite box is PPV type stuff when you want to order using your remote. I can't speak for Dish, but you can order that stuff online instead if you don't have a phone hookup for the box in question.

bluedogok
3/18/2007, 07:38 PM
Sounds like you've got a lot of choices when you turn your t.v. on!
Yes I do, I also have the MotoGP-HiRes online package so I can watch the races on the laptop hooked to the 52" HDTV. I was able to watch the race from Qatar last Saturday night, Speed didn't show it until 5:00pm Sunday night. I also have a 26" TV next to it with one of the old satellite boxes on it so I can watch 2 games (or NFL-ST Game Mix) at the same time.

SleestakSooner
3/18/2007, 07:53 PM
Of course, that might not work out too well, given that VoIP doesn't have the same QoS assurances that a plain old telephone line has, and those boxes are probably using some kind of modem.

Also, I may be mistaken, but I believe the main service that will be cut off by not having a phone line hooked up to the satellite box is PPV type stuff when you want to order using your remote. I can't speak for Dish, but you can order that stuff online instead if you don't have a phone hookup for the box in question.

A friend of mine here in Norman has Cox Cable for his high speed internet service and uses Vonage (VOIP) service for his basic phone service. If you make a good deal of long distance calls this type of arrangement could save you a lot of money.

Also with a good cable connection you are able to download many of the television shows you would want to watch. I would keep the cable if I were you.

If you do decide to go with a satellite broadcast use Dish Network, I worked briefly for DirectTV, they will rip you a new one if you give em a chance.

OU-HSV
3/18/2007, 09:19 PM
Yes I do, I also have the MotoGP-HiRes online package so I can watch the races on the laptop hooked to the 52" HDTV. I was able to watch the race from Qatar last Saturday night, Speed didn't show it until 5:00pm Sunday night. I also have a 26" TV next to it with one of the old satellite boxes on it so I can watch 2 games (or NFL-ST Game Mix) at the same time.
So you've got your own little sports bar, awesome!

Well everybody..thanks for your input/tips, I appreciate it.

bluedogok
3/19/2007, 09:01 PM
I got tired of P-I-P, so at first I had a 13" TV but when we got the big screen it freed up the 26". I made my entertainment center, so I had something like that planned all along.