PDA

View Full Version : After Further Review I Think I'll Have My 5 Year Old Concentrate on Baseball

FaninAma
3/14/2007, 04:36 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/14/sports/football/14wives.html?_r=3&hp&oref=slogin&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Although the risk of dementia related to football injuries is still pretty low.

jk the sooner fan
3/14/2007, 04:42 PM
Grapevine Baseball player dies (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/022507dnmetbaseballplayer.d37b663.html)

C&CDean
3/14/2007, 04:49 PM
Real nice jk. One star and a contradiction of a faninama post. Let me put on my surprise face. Some people are like my morning ****. Preeeeedictable.

jk the sooner fan
3/14/2007, 04:50 PM
i'm just pointing out that there are no guarantee's in any sport

a grapevine high school baseball player is beaned in the back of the head from a foul ball in a batting cage......went thru a hole in 2 separate nets

you just cant always protect your kids

you can call it what you want dean, but its just as realistic as the "stuff" you post to others

Mixer!
3/14/2007, 04:50 PM
Damn, that sucks. :(

jk the sooner fan
3/14/2007, 04:51 PM
and for what its worth dean.....if you're insinuating that i "one starred" fan's thread, you'd be wrong

only sponsors can do that

C&CDean
3/14/2007, 04:52 PM
i'm just pointing out that there are no guarantee's in any sport

a grapevine high school baseball player is beaned in the back of the head from a foul ball in a batting cage......went thru a hole in 2 separate nets

you just cant always protect your kids

you can call it what you want dean, but its just as realistic as the "stuff" you post to others

Don't blow smoke up my skirt. You stalk faninama like he's your arch nemesis. You think I just fell off a ****ing truck? I ain't got a problem with your post, I have a problem with the stalking.

C&CDean
3/14/2007, 04:53 PM
And FWIW, you ain't the only one.

yermom
when do you start him on the roids? ;)

jk the sooner fan
yes dean, i lay awake at nite, frothing at the mouth waiting for fan to post

gimme a ****** break

jk the sooner fan
3/14/2007, 04:55 PM
i didnt "one star" the thread

i'm just pointing out that baseball can be just as dangerous

hell just this morning somebody else posted a thread on how NYC is discussing doing away with aluminum bats in favor of wood bats

i know it may be beyond your ability to grasp, but i am capable of having a discussion

colleyvillesooner
3/14/2007, 04:58 PM
Some people are like my morning ****. Preeeeedictable.

Like you popping in to stick up for Fan? ;)

runs away

picasso
3/14/2007, 05:13 PM
baseball was always my favorite simply because practice was so easy.

football practice was from hell, especially my being the 8th grade QB going against the 9th grade everyday.
basketball? too much running.

jk the sooner fan
3/14/2007, 05:37 PM
Like you popping in to stick up for Fan? ;)

runs away

exactly :)

william_brasky
3/14/2007, 06:31 PM
Grapevine Baseball player dies (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/022507dnmetbaseballplayer.d37b663.html)

That story is so effin' sad.

RIP Chris Gavora.

Mixer!
3/14/2007, 07:45 PM
basketball? too much running. I agree.

Signed,
http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/headshots/byron-eaton-hd.jpg

jk the sooner fan
3/14/2007, 07:47 PM
That story is so effin' sad.

RIP Chris Gavora.

the neat thing is that just a couple months before he died, he signed up to be an organ donor and some little girl got his heart to save her life

william_brasky
3/14/2007, 09:05 PM
the neat thing is that just a couple months before he died, he signed up to be an organ donor and some little girl got his heart to save her life

that's awesomeness.

FaninAma
3/14/2007, 09:09 PM
The one star ratings don't bother me. At least it means somebody is reading my threads. A lot of the posters I disagree with on some topics I agree with on other topics. If I'm ****ing somebody off that much then I'm not presenting my arguments in the most effective way.

As to this article. I really think the sample size is too small to draw any conclusions. 20 cases from all current and past NFL players seems like a small number. I do think that there are individuals who are more susceptible to cummulative brain injury than others. I also think that genetic predisposition probably plays a role.

Regardless, I really think the risk for significant brain injury is probably pretty low for college and high school players.

jk the sooner fan
3/14/2007, 09:52 PM
wouldnt length of time in the game be a factor? the two in that article have probably played the game a majority of their life, where as the common kid is going to play probably thru high school and no farther

william_brasky
3/14/2007, 09:54 PM
when you're playing the foosball, you kill brain cells every down pretty much.

not so much in the baseball. after games with the brew you do though.

sooneron
3/14/2007, 09:59 PM
Brasky's last two sentences pretty much sum it up.