3/14/2007, 04:22 PM
That makes me feel old for some reason.

Mjcpr
3/14/2007, 04:23 PM
Is that a type of sandwich spread?

monty
3/14/2007, 04:24 PM
That makes me feel old for some reason.

Someone has been using "word of the day" toilet paper ;)

SoonerStormchaser
3/14/2007, 04:36 PM
Thank you Jimmy Carter...

...ya jackass!

Mixer!
3/14/2007, 04:44 PM
No, no - it's a country in SE Asia! :D

OhU1
3/14/2007, 07:26 PM
Thank you Jimmy Carter...

Jimmy Carter was my first thought too. Word association: Malaise - Jimmy Carter. :D <--- (Jimmy without the malaise)

OCUDad
3/14/2007, 07:29 PM
That makes me feel old for some reason.Could another reason be that you're actually old?

King Crimson
3/14/2007, 07:36 PM
th way you people auto-bash Jimmy Carter is funny. god bless Saint Ronnie for giving us back our "we're numba 1" huevos.

it wasn't Czechs or Germans who ended the Cold War and brought down the Soviets.....Ronnie did it. blue jeans, Coke, and rock and roll. a great man of virtue....minus that iran-contra thing.

what a mastermind that guy was.

OhU1
3/14/2007, 07:51 PM
KC Jimmy Carter took the word malaise and made it his own. He was fond of using it in his public comments. I'm not bashing poor Jimmy. He meant well.

OhU1
3/14/2007, 08:07 PM
edit: Jimmy Carter didn't actually use the phrase "malaise", which was coined by one of his advisors, but his infamous July 15, 1979 "crisis of confidence speech" came to be known by that title.

King Crimson
3/14/2007, 08:10 PM
malaise in itself is not an inaccurate word. just read some of the politico experts on this board. there's plenty of "malaise" to go around.....Rush Limbaugh has made a career of capitalizing on it....from white males age 25-45. it's easier to scapegoat someone than stare a problem in the face.

opksooner
3/14/2007, 09:13 PM
Did that make you feel uncomfortable?

Octavian
3/14/2007, 09:18 PM
the term "malaise" in relation to Carter was actually first coined by Teddy Kennedy of all people. He kicked around the idea of challenging Carter for the Dem nomination in '80.

Later, Repubican opponents used it to critique all things Carter (from stagflation to gas lines to the Iran hostage situation to the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan).

Carter gave the most defining speech of his career early in 1980 entitled "The Crisis of Confidence," in which he warned against runaway corporatism and the growing social emphasis of material acquisition. In "Confidence," Carter's message became the antithesis of the Republican electoral sales pitch for the remainder of the twentieth century....and even till now: "Vote for us, keep more money, get more stuff." Supply-siders

The term was used sparingly to critique Clintonian/moderate Republican economic policies (which eventually balanced the budget through Pay-Go) and as late as the first term of W, Cheney criticized the opponents of massive tax cuts for wanting to "return to malaise."

Not coiincidentally, the Carter Admn. was the last to have manageable national deficits. If I went much further with this I'd have to start talking about the Federal Reserve System and the international banking interests so I think I'll stop.

Anyways, "malaise" was coined by Teddy. He gave his opponents one of the most effective and persuasive tag-lines in modern (and even postmodern) American politics.