PDA

View Full Version : Sooner Excellence

Jay C. Upchurch
3/14/2007, 11:28 AM
This isn't OU football, but it's something of note that often gets lost in the shuffle...

The Princeton Review recently rated the University of Oklahoma as one of the Top 10 universities for academic excellence in the country.

For the 17th straight year, OU ranks No. 1 nationally for the number of freshmen National Merit Scholars.

CincySooner
3/14/2007, 11:36 AM
that's surprising... almost to the point of questioning the Princeton Review's methods.

BOOMERBRADLEY
3/14/2007, 11:39 AM
That's awesome, but doesn't that mean that OSU is also in the top 10 because after all, their academics are SOOOOO much better than OU's :rolleyes:

According to them anyway...

snp
3/14/2007, 11:54 AM
http://www.ou.edu/publicaffairs/OUFacts1.shtml

The Princeton Review ranks OU among the Top 10 public universities in the nation in terms of academic excellence and cost for students.

Top ten in cheap, good schools.

Big Red Ron
3/14/2007, 12:06 PM
cool, cheap must be a relative term because, i'll be paying until i'm 40.

sooner518
3/14/2007, 12:37 PM
giving full rides to national merit semifinalists will do wonders for a university's marketing efforts.

these top 10 lists always seem kinda stupid to me.

snp
3/14/2007, 01:07 PM
cool, cheap must be a relative term because, i'll be paying until i'm 40.

It was probably taking cost of living in effect as well.

There is a dire need for cheaper pitcher specials. When the cheapest pitcher in town is at Suger's, you got a problem. I also might have a problem for knowing this.

SteelClip49
3/14/2007, 01:19 PM
Oklahoma is far from the top ten in academic excellence. That has got to be the most hysterical thing I have seen in a long time. Oklahoma is tied for #112 according to U.S. News and that is a decline compared to a couple years ago when OU was #103. OU is a good school in some academic areas but not all.

CincySooner
3/14/2007, 04:00 PM
Oklahoma is far from the top ten in academic excellence. That has got to be the most hysterical thing I have seen in a long time. Oklahoma is tied for #112 according to U.S. News and that is a decline compared to a couple years ago when OU was #103. OU is a good school in some academic areas but not all.

yeah, thats what I was thinking.

I think the fine print that we were missing in the original post was "top ten in acedemic excellence versus cost to the student".

Don't get me wrong I think OU's a good school, but I dont exactly feel like I could walk into a room of Nobel Prize Winners and say "I went to OU" and expect someone to care.

OUDoc
3/14/2007, 04:27 PM
Don't get me wrong I think OU's a good school, but I dont exactly feel like I could walk into a room of Nobel Prize Winners and say "I went to OU" and expect someone to care.
If you had a bomb strapped to you, they would.

OKC-SLC
3/14/2007, 05:06 PM
If you had a bomb strapped to you, they would.
As usual, thinking outside the box.

OUinFLA
3/14/2007, 05:28 PM
or increasing the size of it.

boomersoonerdude
3/15/2007, 07:08 AM
proud to be a Sooner Grad

Big Red Ron
3/15/2007, 11:34 AM
Every professional person I have ever come in contact with from LA to Denver to NYC to DC has recognized the University of Oklahoma. Many have comments like "Some intern or new guy from OU was there and did a great job, bla,bla, bla." Hardly scientific but if you don't go to an Ivy league school or MIT/Stanford type place. Most look at any school west of Illinois as, "out west" or "down south."

We're good.

The Prime Minister
3/15/2007, 11:50 AM
OU is getting the praise it deserves. I just graduated with a degree in Mechanical Engineering and had a job in hand at graduation. I now live in Tucson, AZ and work for Raytheon designing missiles. The hiring and engineering types know about OU down here and the quality of the education that one recieves there. By no strech is OU in the top 10 based on straight up quality education, but I think that the Princeton review is on the money by claiming OU is one of the top 10 bang for the buck universities.

StuIsTheMan
3/15/2007, 11:56 AM
My grandfather went, played FB and eventually taught at OU, my dad and uncle both went there before getting accepted to the Air force Academy, not an easy feat. So from their experiences I can say(IMHO) that OU is a top notch school, not just a football factory (although we do hold our own) OU does graduate more Student athletes then most schools, and They are the "Flag Ship" for the Big 12 for a reason right?

Doged
3/15/2007, 01:37 PM
Regardless of the publication and criteria used (I'd say it's a tad obvious that the Princeton Review and U.S. News lists are based on completely different criteria) OU ranks among the top 10% academically in the nation with even higher marks for several of the schools including engineering, medical and meteorology (among others). I'm not at all surprised to see them ranked near the top of a "value for your dollar" list.

We do a little better than "top 10%" for football, which as everyone knows is what really makes a university great. :D

lovesOU
3/15/2007, 01:59 PM
I have read that peer ratings don't give much significance to the number of National Merit scholars at OU because they are "bought". FWIW, the ranking depends more on the ranking of professsors than the scholars. Don't ask me where I read this and for a link because it was some time back and I don't remember.

StuIsTheMan
3/15/2007, 02:10 PM
I have read that peer ratings don't give much significance to the number of National Merit scholars at OU because they are "bought". FWIW, the ranking depends more on the ranking of professsors than the scholars. Don't ask me where I read this and for a link because it was some time back and I don't remember.

Well it seems to be that you remembered everything else...hmmm

stoopified
3/16/2007, 10:52 AM
Akadimic smaak,i luuv it.

poke4christ
3/16/2007, 01:40 PM
Looks like our state colleges have something to be proud of. If you follow the link, it shows that OSU recently ranked number one in the nation for Value in Consumer Digest's ranking. Both schools seem to be doing pretty well. Hopefully, we'll all continue to push forward in excellence.

http://www.orangepower.com/showthread.php?t=34562