PDA

View Full Version : OU Basketball Success

soonervegas
3/14/2007, 10:43 AM
I know this is a dead horse....but I want to smack it with a baseball bat at least a few more times:

In the last 25 years:

(2) Final Fours
(2) Elite Eights
(3) Sweet 16
(5) Round of 32

Tied for 5th all time on #1 seeds. (Behind 4 monster programs)

Why can we not draw any better than the OU women's team? If we have any fan support the numbers above probably even look better due to a few more top notch recruits showing up.

Big Red Ron
3/14/2007, 11:30 AM
We draw huge crowds at times. We need, in basketball, a superstar to draw. To some extent Hollis Price did that. Ryan Minor did it too. Before that, King, Mookie, Price, and Wayman drew huge crowds.

I think that Sampson's style really hurt the crowds and our lack of offensive talent this year under capel's hurt too.

Defense wins but offense puts buts in seats.

OSUAggie
3/14/2007, 12:42 PM
We need, in basketball, a superstar to draw.

Texas still didn't draw great #'s to watch Durant. I don't see the situation at Oklahoma being any different. I think the likelihood that OU will ever sell 90% of its seats throughout the year in the future is very slim. It will probably take people getting sick of the football program for a period of time for OU basketball to draw big numbers again, and that probably won't happen under Stoops.

Big Red Ron
3/14/2007, 12:45 PM
Texas still didn't draw great #'s to watch Durant. I don't see the situation at Oklahoma being any different. I think the likelihood that OU will ever sell 90% of its seats throughout the year in the future is very slim. It will probably take people getting sick of the football program for a period of time for OU basketball to draw big numbers again, and that probably won't happen under Stoops.Shuddup Aggie, you know squat. We were just as big in football as we were in basketball while Billy was here and we had much greater crowds back then. Again, it was clearly the number of points we were scoring. Oh and back in those days there was no 12K paid attendence with 7k showing up because of the point system either.

MojoRisen
3/14/2007, 12:57 PM
We draw huge crowds at times. We need, in basketball, a superstar to draw. To some extent Hollis Price did that. Ryan Minor did it too. Before that, King, Mookie, Price, and Wayman drew huge crowds.

I think that Sampson's style really hurt the crowds and our lack of offensive talent this year under capel's hurt too.

Defense wins but offense puts buts in seats.

CHEW Kenedy and Tim McCalister had star power-

OSUAggie
3/14/2007, 01:16 PM
Shuddup Aggie, you know squat. We were just as big in football as we were in basketball while Billy was here and we had much greater crowds back then. Again, it was clearly the number of points we were scoring. Oh and back in those days there was no 12K paid attendence with 7k showing up because of the point system either.

Right, the times haven't changed at all in collegiate athletics in the last 20 years... :rolleyes: LNC was a pretty new building at that point, and now people bitch about its atmosphere (which is somewhat ironic since they help to create or not create said atmosphere).

Racehorse basketball might bring bigger crowds, if it is coupled with wins. It might not. I just think the football program is at an interest level now that is much bigger than it has ever been, and there will have to be less interest in it for the basketball program to draw bigger crowds.

CobraKai
3/14/2007, 02:08 PM
Having been at OU from 88-93 I remember the crowds being pretty similar. HUGE for KUs/Missouri/OSU, 3500 people there for Coppin State.

Herr Scholz
3/14/2007, 02:59 PM
Texas still didn't draw great #'s to watch Durant.
For home conference games, we averaged 15.2K. Not too shabby if you ask me.

http://www.texassports.com/index.php?s=&change_well_id=9995&url_channel_id=16

Big Red Ron
3/14/2007, 03:02 PM
Having been at OU from 88-93 I remember the crowds being pretty similar. HUGE for KUs/Missouri/OSU, 3500 people there for Coppin State.Just like any other Big XII school. I remember huge games against KSU, ISU, Mizzou, and Nebraska. Whenever we bring in good out of conference opponents it was huge. Loyola and UNLV come to mind but it's been 20 years.

;)

SouthCarolinaSooner
3/14/2007, 03:04 PM
Why can we not draw any better than the OU women's team? If we have any fan support the numbers above probably even look better due to a few more top notch recruits showing up.
Jenna will help with a more ethnically diverse crowd showing up:pop:

birddog
3/14/2007, 03:20 PM
hey vegas, merry christmas.

Big Red Ron
3/14/2007, 03:47 PM
CHEW Kenedy and Tim McCalister had star power-Certainly so!

stoopified
3/14/2007, 04:05 PM
First of all the name is Choo Kennedy,not Chew,Secondly as I was often at games throughout the Tubbs eraI can attest that we only drew large crowds on occassion even then.Yes people came out for UNLV,KU,and Missou but there were an awful lot of fans dressed as empty seats in SOLD_OUT LNC.WE have been ppretty close to complete sellout of season tickets for years but light on actual attendance.After thirty yers of OU basketball and 37 years of football,I have come to one inescapable conclusion and that is we are a FOOTBALL FIRST school and ALL OTHER SPORTS are secondary to football.The women sell out games using not only a great team(recent vintage) but promotions as well.I say as basketball fans be loyal and accept who we ARE.

OUstud
3/14/2007, 04:36 PM
Could we say we are beating a dead horsepig instead? :D

the_ouskull
3/14/2007, 05:59 PM
Leave me alone.

Sincerely,

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/sichuevos/DeadHorse.jpg

Big Red Ron
3/14/2007, 06:43 PM
First of all the name is Choo Kennedy,not Chew,Secondly as I was often at games throughout the Tubbs eraI can attest that we only drew large crowds on occassion even then.Yes people came out for UNLV,KU,and Missou but there were an awful lot of fans dressed as empty seats in SOLD_OUT LNC.WE have been ppretty close to complete sellout of season tickets for years but light on actual attendance.After thirty yers of OU basketball and 37 years of football,I have come to one inescapable conclusion and that is we are a FOOTBALL FIRST school and ALL OTHER SPORTS are secondary to football.The women sell out games using not only a great team(recent vintage) but promotions as well.I say as basketball fans be loyal and accept who we ARE.Okay, I'm not disagreeing with you but I too was there for both the Tubbs era and the Sampson era, and there was a clear drop off in attendance and "atmosphere."

I think some of that is due to the new points program for OU/ut tix and season ticket holder/donor points program, some of Castiglione's anti fun laws and to some degree Sampson's half court/defensive system.

the_ouskull
3/15/2007, 07:38 AM
The "point system" myth has been debunked so many times it's ridiculous. If you need an excuse, look for a legit one. What happened was, Cleti were used to seeing 100 ppg, and the bottom line is, NOBODY DOES THAT ANYMORE.

Kelvin was a great basketball coach. Billy was a good basketball coach, and an amazing track coach. He also was a rah-rah guy, and Kelvin was more of a "if they don't want to come to the games, f*ck 'em, we'll still win," guy.

the_ouskull

Big Red Ron
3/15/2007, 07:56 AM
Kelvin was a great basketball coach. Billy was a good basketball coach, and an amazing track coach. He also was a rah-rah guy, and Kelvin was more of a "if they don't want to come to the games, f*ck 'em, we'll still win," guy.

the_ouskullYou are mistaken sir. Billy was a better defensive coach, offensive coach and recruiter than Sampson. Let's just agree to disagree.

We need some stars to put asses in seats. It's pretty simple.

CobraKai
3/15/2007, 09:45 AM
Okay, I'm not disagreeing with you but I too was there for both the Tubbs era and the Sampson era, and there was a clear drop off in attendance and "atmosphere."

I will agree and disagree. The attendance size (IMO) has not changed at all from the Tubbs era. However, I will agree that the atmosphere has. I think the crowds were WAY more rowdy back then. But, if you went to OU-Colorado in 1989 the arena would have 5,000 people in it, just like today.

Big Red Ron
3/15/2007, 10:10 AM
I will agree and disagree. The attendance size (IMO) has not changed at all from the Tubbs era. However, I will agree that the atmosphere has. I think the crowds were WAY more rowdy back then. But, if you went to OU-Colorado in 1989 the arena would have 5,000 people in it, just like today.I can agree with that.;)

LittleWingSooner
3/15/2007, 10:30 AM
We drew more under Kelvin then we did under Tubbs. Tubbs had the same problems Kelvin had in drawing crowds. Capel will have the same problems too.

There are only about 5,000 good OU basketball fans. The rest are really just football fans that go to basketball games if we are really good or we are playing a team that's really good.