PDA

View Full Version : polyurethane applying knowledge possessors

TopDaugIn2000
3/14/2007, 08:45 AM
so when I bought my cork flooring they said "when you get finished, roll on a coat of polyurethane."
I first bought water based, but once I got it home I read not to use it on floors because it will wear in high traffic areas. I then went back and bought oil-based. I rolled on the first coat sunday night and when I went back monday there were little bubbles in it, and it was sticky in some places. I knew I must have put it on too thick, but the coverage wasn't even at ALL. So I read online monday and found info saying to sand it lightly with a fine steel wool, thin down the poly (to prevent bubbles), and apply a thin second coat to fill in the "craters". Did that monday night, applied it with a wool-like pad for oil based poly. Went back yesterday and it was STILL not even. Shiny in some spots, dull in others. If I lay it on thick, it bubbles. If I lay it on thin, it's not even and doesn't cover. ARGH!. So I applied ANOTHER coat last night, didn't thin it, but spread it on very thin. If I STILL have thin spots, I'm not sure what to do. Should I thin down another gallon (to prevent bubbles) and lay it on thick in order to get even coverage? ANyone with experience with this PLEASE HELP!!!!

sanantoniosooner
3/14/2007, 09:20 AM
I would let it set for an extra day and go back with some thin coats.

My understanding is that the waterbased actually wears better, and doesn't yellow, but perhaps not the brand you originally selected.

I've never worked with cork, but most woods can be spotty about how they soak up a sealer. Thick coats are never a good idea. Most polys I've seen don't take kindly to thinning. I would use it full strength but only thick enough to give a "wet" look.

I don't know how many coats it recommends, but I'd probably would have expected to put at least two, lightly sand, and add a final coat.

TopDaugIn2000
3/14/2007, 09:40 AM
apparently the cork already HAS three coats of sealer from the factory, and after laying it just needs one last coat to seal the cracks. I just talked to my mom, she is there, says it looks much better today. Maybe one more thin coat tonight will do the trick.

sanantoniosooner
3/14/2007, 10:14 AM
If it was prefinished, there is the possibility that the finishes weren't compatible.

This would account for some bubbles. It probably would have been a good idea to research the original finish and try to use the same type of coating.

StoopTroup
3/14/2007, 11:10 AM
Spray it on next time.

Also...wear an organic mask and make sure there is plenty of fresh air.

You'll hate the way you feel if you coat your lungs.

sanantoniosooner
3/14/2007, 11:49 AM
I wouldn't recommend spraying unless you have experience. A lot of the waterborne urethanes actually recommend using the lambskin applicator. Spraying tends to stir up stuff and the floor is where it will settle.

1stTimeCaller
3/14/2007, 03:25 PM
The cork floor I put in the Byron G Rogers courthouse had the same problems. People that got paid money to know how to install and finish cork floors had problems.

Good luck.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/14/2007, 07:02 PM
What are the advantages to cork floors? That sounds like a pain in the *** to me.

sanantoniosooner
3/14/2007, 07:22 PM
What are the advantages to cork floors? That sounds like a pain in the *** to me.
It's a little softer than other types, if that appeals to you.

Perhaps if you have a kid that could have seizure and fall suddenly.

I'm not sure what other reasons would be for it to appeal to someone.

1stTimeCaller
3/14/2007, 07:25 PM
It's quiet to walk on. I think that's why they wanted it for the courtrooms.

soonerboomer93
3/14/2007, 07:33 PM
how well does it hold up though?

TopDaugIn2000
3/14/2007, 08:58 PM
quieter
warmer
softer
natural fire retardant
waterproof
ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY
25 year warranty

1stTimeCaller
3/14/2007, 09:01 PM
is it really environmentally friendly if you have to slosh all of that poly on it? The job I was on was a LEEDS job and they could only use the water based poly.

TopDaugIn2000
3/14/2007, 09:03 PM
Cork flooring advantages
Cork flooring is a natural and silent flooring alternative to hardwood floors. Its unique cellular structure contains air pockets that provide acoustic insulation.

Cork floorings special quality
What makes cork so unique is its naturally occurring 14-sided durable cellular structure that makes it flexible, waterproof and airtight. Cork is actually a bark that is harvested from the cork oak tree in Europe.

Cork flooring is environmentally friendly
A green choice for flooring, harvested from trees in a sustainable manner every 10 years, cork continues to grow and is a renewable resource. Removing the bark of a tree can cause damage, but regulations in most growing areas restrict the frequency of harvesting and the amount that can be removed at any one time.

Cork dampens noise
Cork flooring is a natural acoustic insulator and is an excellent choice for apartments and condominiums as it muffles the sound of heavy foot traffic. Cork is also a good underlayment choice for other floating floor systems to reduce the “hollow echo” sound and to give your floors a more permanent natural sound.

Feels good to walk on
Cork is soft underfoot and has a gentle give under pressure. It has good memory and bounces back to its original shape. It also provides a cushioning effect for items that are dropped on it, often preventing them from breaking.

Cork has many resistive qualities
Cork is fire resistant and will not spread flame, naturally repels insects, has antimicrobial qualities that resist rot.

Cork flooring is a good insulator
Cork is a decent flooring thermal insulator that provide better insulating r-values that most carpets. This is another benefit of cork flooring that can help reduce heating costs over time and help pay for itself.

Antistatic and hypoallergenic
Cork does not shed gases or fiber or attract dust and debris, so it makes for very easy cleaning.

TopDaugIn2000
3/14/2007, 09:05 PM
is it really environmentally friendly if you have to slosh all of that poly on it? The job I was on was a LEEDS job and they could only use the water based poly.

yeah, well, that was a goof on my part. live and learn

1stTimeCaller
3/14/2007, 09:07 PM
I wasn't trying to be snarky, honest. More of thinking out loud trying to remember.

Once you get the poly figured out it'll be beautiful.

opksooner
3/14/2007, 09:10 PM
I am one who knows concerning this. "Knowe. aboute." gets censored. :(

Use a lambs wool applicator in the future. The roller is what caused the bubbles.

Okla-homey
3/14/2007, 10:25 PM
Cork flooring advantages
Cork flooring is a natural and silent flooring alternative to hardwood floors. Its unique cellular structure contains air pockets that provide acoustic insulation.

Cork floorings special quality
What makes cork so unique is its naturally occurring 14-sided durable cellular structure that makes it flexible, waterproof and airtight. Cork is actually a bark that is harvested from the cork oak tree in Europe.

Cork flooring is environmentally friendly
A green choice for flooring, harvested from trees in a sustainable manner every 10 years, cork continues to grow and is a renewable resource. Removing the bark of a tree can cause damage, but regulations in most growing areas restrict the frequency of harvesting and the amount that can be removed at any one time.

Cork dampens noise
Cork flooring is a natural acoustic insulator and is an excellent choice for apartments and condominiums as it muffles the sound of heavy foot traffic. Cork is also a good underlayment choice for other floating floor systems to reduce the “hollow echo” sound and to give your floors a more permanent natural sound.

Feels good to walk on
Cork is soft underfoot and has a gentle give under pressure. It has good memory and bounces back to its original shape. It also provides a cushioning effect for items that are dropped on it, often preventing them from breaking.

Cork has many resistive qualities
Cork is fire resistant and will not spread flame, naturally repels insects, has antimicrobial qualities that resist rot.

Cork flooring is a good insulator
Cork is a decent flooring thermal insulator that provide better insulating r-values that most carpets. This is another benefit of cork flooring that can help reduce heating costs over time and help pay for itself.

Antistatic and hypoallergenic
Cork does not shed gases or fiber or attract dust and debris, so it makes for very easy cleaning.

and it floats!:D

soonerboomer93
3/14/2007, 10:46 PM
I am one who knows concerning this. "Knowe. aboute." gets censored. :(

n00b

:D

BajaOklahoma
3/14/2007, 10:50 PM
Highheels ruin cork floors. :(

TopDaugIn2000
3/15/2007, 06:54 AM
I wasn't trying to be snarky, honest. More of thinking out loud trying to remember.

Once you get the poly figured out it'll be beautiful.

oh I know. but it was a goof on my part, I didn't research it enough before jumping in.

I put the final coat on last night, when I left it looked like a sheet of glass. Let's just hope it dried that well!!!!

oh, and I don't wear heels, I'm too tall for em and I don't like uncomfortable shoes. But I'll be sure to make Pat remove her's if she ever comes over.

TopDaugIn2000
3/16/2007, 07:55 AM
DONE!
http://f3.yahoofs.com/users/41b50165z41622366/a802scd/__sr_/5bc6re2.jpg?ph4ip.FBL.cHDJ5d
http://f3.yahoofs.com/users/41b50165z41622366/a802scd/__sr_/3d36re2.jpg?ph4ip.FBRYOJQy4_

sanantoniosooner
3/16/2007, 05:18 PM
DONE!
http://f3.yahoofs.com/users/41b50165z41622366/a802scd/__sr_/5bc6re2.jpg?ph4ip.FBL.cHDJ5d
http://f3.yahoofs.com/users/41b50165z41622366/a802scd/__sr_/3d36re2.jpg?ph4ip.FBRYOJQy4_

Server not found

Firefox can't find the server at phvrf.yahoo.com.

* Check the address for typing errors such as
ww.example.com instead of
www.example.com

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.
:(