PDA

View Full Version : What would you do....

OUAndy1807
3/14/2007, 07:27 AM
We had a 1996 Accord that we had been using as kind of a beater car. It was in nice shape, had all the service paperwork and still looked really nice. Some time back, my father-in-laws car broke down and instead of buying a new one, my wife told him that he could borrow this Accord until he found something. He makes good money, but seems to be extremely cheap.

Anyway, the thought was, he borrows the car and then returns it when he buys another or sells it for us in San Antonio and gives us the money. About 4 months ago he called and told my wife that the transmission had gone out and he was going to donate the car to charity. At the time, we were filing standard deductions, so I threw a fit because them donating the car basically meant that we had given them the car, which was not our agreement. I told him that they needed to fix the car and sell it or return it to us in the condition that he had loaned it to us. My wife thinks I'm a dick at this point.

So, they get the transmission fixed and return the car. We sell it without even trying for $3500. I figure I'll be the nice guy and write him a check for the transmission work he had done and everything will be more than fair with the family side of the equation.

Then I find the paperwork. He paid $1900 for a rebuilt transmission to be installed into the car. I've had transmission work done on 4 cars before, never a Honda, and this seems outrageous.

Now I'm torn. Do I write him a check for over half of the sale price of the car? Do I reimburse him for what I think would have been a fair price for the transmission work? Do I not reimburse him at all and consider the money he spent payment for him driving our car for over a year?

Vaevictis
3/14/2007, 07:35 AM
Now I'm torn. Do I write him a check for over half of the sale price of the car? Do I reimburse him for what I think would have been a fair price for the transmission work? Do I not reimburse him at all and consider the money he spent payment for him driving our car for over a year?

Is the family strife that's sure to follow worth the amount of money that is the difference?

And BTW, you learned the cause for my family's Rule #1: You never loan anything to family or friends if you want to remain on good terms on them. Assume you will never get it back, consider it a gift, and be pleasantly suprised if it's returned.

OUDoc
3/14/2007, 08:04 AM
You can probably have happiness or money, but not both.
And, he's a d!ck. (That almost sounds like "Andy's a d!ck", which may or may not be the case. Either way, that's not what I was saying. :D)

sanantoniosooner
3/14/2007, 08:17 AM
I've seen the house you bought.

Write him a check for the money. Not because he deserves it. Because your marriage does.

If you needed the cash for an operation on your iguana it would be different.

jk the sooner fan
3/14/2007, 08:22 AM
i'm not sure that 1900 for a transmission on a honda is all that outrageous

maybe boarder can confirm, but i think thats about the going rate

Okla-homey
3/14/2007, 08:24 AM
Fuggitaboutit, and as others have sagely advised...generally do not "loan" money or things of value to family or close friends.

Consider it a tuition payment to the "School of Life Experiences Which Make You Less Likely To Repeat Certain Mistakes."

jk the sooner fan
3/14/2007, 08:26 AM
oh, and definitely reimburse him

that transmission didnt go out in just the year he drove it

OUDoc
3/14/2007, 08:32 AM
oh, and definitely reimburse him

that transmission didnt go out in just the year he drove it
But, at the same time, it broke while he was using it for free. He should bear some of the expense as well. "Should" is the key word.

jk the sooner fan
3/14/2007, 08:32 AM
But, at the same time, it broke while he was using it for free. He should bear some of the expense as well. "Should" is the key word.

yeah i agree with that as well, perhaps they can split the cost

TopDaugIn2000
3/14/2007, 08:33 AM
how long did he drive it?
(for FREE)

Mjcpr
3/14/2007, 08:36 AM
Just peel 10 $100's off your roll and throw them at him sometime when he's sitting on the floor.

I think that would make everyone happy.

frankensooner
3/14/2007, 09:15 AM
Just yell at your wife for loaning him the car in the first place, it will make you feel better. ;)

Mjcpr
3/14/2007, 09:16 AM
It might be time to make her sleep on your couch again.

OUAndy1807
3/14/2007, 09:51 AM
also, I like this guy a lot. he's a full bird retired with 28 years of service plus he has a nice civilian job. the money's not going to hurt him, he's just cheap.

Jimminy Crimson
3/14/2007, 09:59 AM
Enroll him in a jelly of the month club! :cool:

No, really!

http://www.monthclubstore.com/jelly-of-the-month-club.html

C&CDean
3/14/2007, 10:04 AM
Just send him a note saying "I ****ed your daughter in the back seat of that car."

frankensooner
3/14/2007, 10:09 AM
I have known a lot of cheap retired officers. I wonder if that is a requirement to be one?

jk the sooner fan
3/14/2007, 10:15 AM
Just send him a note saying "I ****ed your daughter in the back seat of that car."

that right there folks is easily post of the month

Hotel Bravo
3/14/2007, 10:16 AM
I have a 95 Accord, and the transmission went out on me while I taking a friend up to New York. I think I ended up paying between $550 and $750 for the transmission (can't remember, it was a few years back) and $200 for the install (but it was a friend of a friend who hooked me up). I'm not saying $1900 is outright outrageous but it does seem a little high.

olevetonahill
3/14/2007, 11:56 AM
Split the cost with him .
Yes 1900 Is WAY to high a price for a used tranny .

Jimminy Crimson
3/14/2007, 12:47 PM
I'd say 500 bucks and tell him hope you enjoyed using the car! ;)

OCUDad
3/14/2007, 01:13 PM
Yes 1900 Is WAY to high a price for a used tranny .Focus, Vet, focus. We're talking about CARS.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/14/2007, 01:24 PM
Take the $1900.00 and donate it in his name to a charity. I don't know anything about transmissions, mine is still original and goind strong. I have a 5-speed, but my clutch master cyclinder went out some time ago (12 years ago) and that was $800.00.

My 1990 Honda Accord is no beater and at 245000 still going strong.

Agree with Vaevictis, having family in your business is not good, family is best kept at arms length...

IB4OU2
3/14/2007, 01:27 PM
Split the cost with him .
Yes 1900 Is WAY to high a price for a used tranny .

I did'nt know there were alot of used trannys in SE Oklahoma? :eek:

olevetonahill
3/14/2007, 01:53 PM
I'd say 500 bucks and tell him hope you enjoyed using the car! ;)
That sounds More than fair
then tell em all to STFU .
and never borrow anything again ,

crawfish
3/14/2007, 01:58 PM
Is the family strife that's sure to follow worth the amount of money that is the difference?

And BTW, you learned the cause for my family's Rule #1: You never loan anything to family or friends if you want to remain on good terms on them. Assume you will never get it back, consider it a gift, and be pleasantly suprised if it's returned.

Wise words...from a man...who knows how to ski.

OUDoc
3/14/2007, 01:59 PM
Wise words...from a man...who knows how to ski.
TWO DOLLARS!

Pricetag
3/14/2007, 02:00 PM
How much do you think you guys will get when the guy kicks off? I don't mean to sound crass, but it's something to consider. Chances are, this guy being cheap now is going to benefit you guys later.

C&CDean
3/14/2007, 02:46 PM
How much do you think you guys will get when the guy kicks off? I don't mean to sound crass, but it's something to consider. Chances are, this guy being cheap now is going to benefit you guys later.

Dude, seriously, if you ever make a life decision based on how much you're gonna get when somebody croaks, you ain't gonna have a very good life.

I know a family who absolutely kisses the *** of the family matriarch. This old bitch (mid-80s) is the most demanding, rude, selfish, self-serving yainch on this planet. She's hateful, spiteful, and all the kids/grandkids just jump every time she says boo. When I've asked them why, they say "I don't want granny to write me out of her will."

I asked one of the guys "how much is she worth?" He said "I don't know, but it's gotta be a lot. She never spends anything, we always have to buy stuff for her." I said "did she ever work?" He said "yeah, but she doesn't have a retirement. I think she just gets social security." I said "did her husband work?" He said "yeah, gramps worked for General Motors for 30 years and she gets some retirement from there." I said "did she have any rich kin die and leave her lots of cash?" He said "not that I know of." I said "do you enjoy waiting on her hand and foot?" He said "no, we all hate the bitch but can't stop doing what she asks just in case." I said "how many of you are there?" He said "3 kids, 7 grandkids, 2 great-grandkids." I said "dude, you ain't gonna get enough to buy a full tank of gas when she kicks the bucket."

He just stared at me.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/14/2007, 02:46 PM

Wrong way to think about it IMO. I told the folks, they earned, they should spend it...

Zbird
3/14/2007, 10:33 PM
That was the cheapest price I could find for transmission repair on my daughter's Mazda 626, but then whaddya expect, it was a FORD transmission.

I suspect the price is right for a honda.