PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

1stTimeCaller
3/13/2007, 09:48 PM
I was getting quotes for homeowner's insurance and I figured that I would see about getting my truck and 5th wheel insured by the same carrier.

Jeebus, I currently pay $1,599.50 every six months for my truck. I guess that a DWAI and $500,000 in coverage are not a good combination.:O

MamaMia
3/13/2007, 10:14 PM
The best deal we found for homeowners, after State Farm declined to renew us, was from Travelers.

Vaevictis
3/13/2007, 10:27 PM
Jeebus, I currently pay $1,599.50 every six months for my truck. I guess that a DWAI and $500,000 in coverage are not a good combination.:O

Looked at USAA at all, or is that your current carrier?

1stTimeCaller
3/13/2007, 10:31 PM
hadn't yet. Progressive is my current carrier. Can I use USAA? I do have an honorable discharge from the National Guard but I thought you had to be an active officer or dependant of one to use them.

Vaevictis
3/13/2007, 10:38 PM
hadn't yet. Progressive is my current carrier. Can I use USAA? I do have an honorable discharge from the National Guard but I thought you had to be an active officer or dependant of one to use them.

From their website:

* Active duty officers and enlisted personnel.
* National Guard, Selected Reserve officers and enlisted personnel.
* Officer candidates in commissioning programs.
* Recently retired or separated military personnel.
* Children of USAA members.
* Former USAA members.

Well, iirc from what you've said, you certainly were eligible at one point, but I don't know if you still are. You could always ask; it wouldn't hurt.

(at one point, it was in fact only officers, but they've loosened it up a bit)

But I would definitely try. USAA usually has the best rates on auto insurance (in my experience), and you usually get a dividend check at the end of the year on top of it.

(Anecdote: My wife called Geico once to see if she could get a better deal, the guy who picked up her call asked who our provider was. She told him, and he said, "Nah, we won't beat their rates. Heck, I get my auto insurance through them! They're the best!")

PAW
3/13/2007, 11:51 PM
USAA has good rates if you're eligible. Be sure to check out Germania for your home.