PDA

View Full Version : John Denver holds the record...

Okla-homey
3/13/2007, 09:26 PM
For making two state songs. West Virginia, and now Colorado.

Far out!

Of course, there is that veiled drug reference in the song, but hey, "sit(ting) alone and talk(ing) and watch(ing) a hawk making lazy circles in the sky" is kinda trippy too.:D

Lawmakers high on John Denver

Sarah Gilman - Aspen Daily News Staff Writer
Tue 03/13/2007 11:01AM MST

DENVER — The halls of the Colorado Capitol building rang with campfire tunes Monday as both houses of the Legislature heard and passed a joint resolution making John Denver's "Rocky Mountain High" an official state song alongside "Where the Columbines Grow."

"Rocky Mountain High' has been the unofficial state song for 30 years. This was long overdue," said the resolution's primary sponsor, Bob Hagedorn of Aurora.

"For tens of millions of people worldwide, this song was the initial contact with Colorado," he told senators, noting that its lyrics introduce listeners to the state's rugged beauty. "This is a great opportunity for the promotion of Colorado domestically and internationally."

Hagedorn dismissed the idea that lyrics in the song describing a "high" refer to or encourage drug use, suggesting instead that they refer to the elation one feels while enjoying spectacular places.

"We are high on Colorado," primary House sponsor Nancy Todd of Aurora agreed.

A choir singing "Kumbaya" kicked off legislative proceedings and was followed in both houses with versions of Denver's beloved "Rocky Mountain High" after the joint resolution passed. Musician Jim Salestrom, a longtime friend and fan of John Denver who performs at Aspen's yearly John Denver celebration, strummed and sang the tune live for the House of Representatives.

Denver became a local institution when he made Aspen his home in the late 1960s. In 1974, Denver was named Colorado's poet laureate. He and friend Tom Crum created the Windstar Foundation, a nonprofit environmental education center in Old Snowmass, in 1976.

Denver died in a plane crash off the California coast in 1997. This year is the 10th anniversary of his accident.

With a brief reprieve from brow-furrowing issues like environmental protections and education, the mood in both houses was more merry than sober as lawmakers discussed adopting "Rocky Mountain High."

"If I had any hair, I'd part it in the middle and say 'far out,'" Sen. Steve Ward said in an address to the Senate floor.

Despite some lawmakers' insistence that the song's use of the word "high" does not necessarily refer to drugs, others on the House floor snickered when speakers referred to the measure as "the joint resolution."

One representative who could not be identified pointed out the verse which refers to tearing down the mountains to make room for "more people, more scars upon the land." "Is this song anti-homebuilder?" he quipped with a grin.

Indeed, not everyone was high on making "Rocky Mountain High" co-official. Eight senators and 10 representatives voted against the measure.

"I'm a huge John Denver fan ... he was a musical pioneer. But the veiled drug reference is not the best signal," said nay-voting Sen. Josh Penry of Fruita.

Some members of the public also objected.

Eighty-year-old Denver resident and songstress Mary Collett came to perform and dispense copies of her own Colorado anthem, "Colorado, U.S.A.," to any lawmakers she could snag Monday morning.

"I think it's very sad and very negative," she said of the newly passed resolution. "Too many people didn't want it" because Denver's song refers to "being high on marijuana and the drug scene of the '70s," she argued, noting that "there are other songs out there that are really great, but they (lawmakers) didn't give anyone else a chance."

The Senate State Veterans and Military Affairs Committee, of which Hagedorn is a member, briefly discussed the measure on the floor instead of holding a public hearing — effectively barring comment from citizens on the song's adoption by the state. The move ensured a speedy process and the resolution passed quickly with a large majority in both the Senate and the House.

Senate co-sponsor Gail Schwartz of Snowmass got the outcome she wanted. Denver "has left us with the ability to celebrate what we feel is important about Colorado — our love of landscape and the backcountry," she said of the newly adopted state song. A longtime friend of Denver's family, Schwartz added, "I think he'd be honored and delighted" that "Rocky Mountain High" is finally official.

"That is very cool. He'd be very honored. We are very proud. I am going to call my mom and tell her," said Ron Deutschendorf, Denver's brother, told the Associated Press upon hearing the news. John Denver was born Henry John Deutschendorf and he changed his name in 1969.

[email protected]

King Crimson
3/13/2007, 09:30 PM
if by "love of landscape and back-country" she means shilling for the ski and tourism industry no matter how bad it ****s everything else up, then she's right.

Frozen Sooner
3/13/2007, 09:32 PM
Somewhere, Charlie Pride is setting a country music award on fire.

royalfan5
3/13/2007, 09:34 PM
Somewhere, Charlie Pride is setting a country music award on fire.
You mean Charlie Rich?

Jerk
3/13/2007, 09:35 PM
You mean Charlie Rich?

Or perhaps Charlie Daniels?

royalfan5
3/13/2007, 09:37 PM
Or perhaps Charlie Daniels?
No, I mean Charlie Rich. He was the one who set the award on fire.

Frozen Sooner
3/13/2007, 09:38 PM
You mean Charlie Rich?

Yeah.

Are you going to set my *** on fire?

Dang it. I HATE it when I misquote a movie.

royalfan5
3/13/2007, 09:40 PM
Yeah.

Are you going to set my *** on fire?

Dang it. I HATE it when I misquote a movie.
I figured that Charlie would be your second cousin or something.

Frozen Sooner
3/13/2007, 09:46 PM
Not to my knowledge. There's a whole slew of Riches that don't have anything to do with us. There was a big branch of the Woolrich family that broke off and renamed themselves "Rich" at one point-we're not them.

BigRedJed
3/13/2007, 10:07 PM
Despite some lawmakers' insistence that the song's use of the word "high" does not necessarily refer to drugs, others on the House floor snickered when speakers referred to the measure as "the joint resolution."
Heh.

picasso
3/13/2007, 10:37 PM
that's a great frickin song.

my bro has the old school album.

SoonerTerry
3/13/2007, 10:53 PM
or Charlie Fligertbaum

SoonerGirl06
3/14/2007, 12:36 AM
John Denver's uncle was my principal in junior high at EJHS in Lawton. Mr. Dutchendorf (sp?) was his name.

He was a great song writer by the way. Loved listening to his songs growing up. "Annie's Song" is probably one of my favorites.

Widescreen
3/14/2007, 08:41 AM
I can't believe one of their state songs has the word Columbine in it. Seems like that would be a constant bad reminder.

King Crimson
3/14/2007, 08:50 AM
I can't believe one of their state songs has the word Columbine in it. Seems like that would be a constant bad reminder.

yer kidding, right?

it's the state flower and had nothing to do *in name* with the shootings at one upper middle class high school.

and was long before a state thing.

SoonerStormchaser
3/14/2007, 09:09 AM
Do not mock John Denver...I may love all things Rush and Journey, but I still have a place in my heart for John Denver.

In fact, the official song of Mrs. SoonerStormchaser and I (and the first song we danced to at our wedding) is "The Gift You Are" by John Denver.

Widescreen
3/14/2007, 10:22 AM
yer kidding, right?

it's the state flower and had nothing to do *in name* with the shootings at one upper middle class high school.

and was long before a state thing.
I'm just saying I think it's an unfortunate reminder. I'm aware of what a Columbine is.

C&CDean
3/14/2007, 10:46 AM
I'm just saying I think it's an unfortunate reminder. I'm aware of what a Columbine is.

Only to folks who never heard of "Columbine" before the school shooting. People from/in Colorado hear/see "Columbine" all the dang time.