PDA

View Full Version : NFL NETWORK/COMBINE create Calvin Johnson borrowed shoes story

stoops the eternal pimp
3/13/2007, 07:24 PM
Well guys I was duped.. those of you who got combine info from me and I want to pass it onto you a bit of what has happened....

The NFL Network it seems created the borrowed shoes/Calvin Johnson story to bring some spark to the combine.And Calvin Johnson is debunking the whole story publicly.....Not a big deal...but also the reported 4.35 40 he ran....I received an email from an official NFL scout who said that the actual NFL scouts clocked him at 4.51...yet the NFL Network clocked him at 4.35..to make a story..

There was also several people that have reported problems in the 225 bench press where several players were given credit for reps without lockout(Joe Thomas Wisconsin) while others were not given credit for reps they should have(Rufus)....I did notice for one lifter the guy working them out was counting reps and about half way through a NFL scout yelled "Lockout" and said " I m waiting for him to do his first rep!"

So far there is no report debunking ADs numbers(most NFL scouts had him at 4.35 on his first run), but several other "top" stars are probably going to end up working out at their school pro days because of the problems...

Which is more important to NFL teams, pro days or the combine? its beginning to be the pro days, especially since the NFL Network as gotten involved..

The NFL does Not operate the Combine... It is ran by the National Football Scouting INc...So there is some outside agendas that go into that event..

Why is it such a big deal? because its a chance to get 300 football players in one spot and check out what they can do...And I go to is because 80 percent of it is legit.

The problem is that with all of the involvement from the NFL network that guys like me are pretty much left to just sit in the stands for a lot of the field events and get our info from one of their guys involving the 40..

Anything else I posted in that thread seems to be on the up and up besides the CJ 4.35/ borrowed shoes bit...And even though its not a big deal to anyone here, I dont like to give bad info....sorry guys

Big Red Ron
3/13/2007, 07:27 PM
Wow, that's very interesting. Do you know what AD ran at pro day?

stoops the eternal pimp
3/13/2007, 07:46 PM
He didnt run again...he mostly ran position drills...caught some passes and did well in pass catching drills...15 teams there including Raiders RB coach Tom Rathman

Big Red Ron
3/13/2007, 07:51 PM
Tom Rathman is a freakin' stud! I'm a 49er fan and remember him well.

Didn't he go to Neb?

swardboy
3/13/2007, 07:57 PM
Wow...that makes AD's performance at the combine shine even brighter. Makes me mad that his thunder was somewhat stolen by the "lie".

stoops the eternal pimp
3/13/2007, 07:58 PM
Yup.....I used to tell people JD Runnels reminded me of Rathman...Rathman still looks like he could lead block in the NFL

sooner518
3/13/2007, 08:05 PM
any links to the Calvin Johnson 4.51 story? Not that youre not legit, but linking people to a message board post isnt exactly credible

stoops the eternal pimp
3/13/2007, 09:20 PM
No link bro. If I had got this story from a writer i would have one but NFL scouts arent much interest to the media..I will be surprised if there is a story about it..I will see if I can find a link to the Calvin saying the shoe story isnt true...And I am in no way saying he cant run a 4.35 but even he was surprised saying his fastest time he ever ran was in the 4.4s.. I thought he had ran a 4.35 this spring but it wasnt..

I know that I took video footage of him running his 40 and timed him out somewhere in the 4.49 range myself...but your talking about a .06 time error in using hand stopwatches in a 40..

The only reason I bring it up is because I reported the the old story to be true but according to the NFL scouts, not correct

stoops the eternal pimp
3/13/2007, 09:26 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=ap-confidentjohnson&prov=ap&type=lgns

this one is about the shoes....read his last statement..even he was surprised at the time

Frozen Sooner
3/13/2007, 09:36 PM
Tom Rathman is a freakin' stud! I'm a 49er fan and remember him well.

Didn't he go to Neb?

Yep, he did. The 49ers have had good luck with 'Husker backs.

The Browns were at Pro Day, BTW, and are still making AD-drafting noises.

OKC-SLC
3/13/2007, 10:19 PM
Rathman = unstoppable on Super Tecmo Bowl.

goingoneight
3/13/2007, 10:58 PM
I don't know about CJ off the field, but I do know that dood is DAMN impressive on the field. He makes all those kinds of catches Kelly does for OU. I don't know his vertical, but I saw a highlight reel where he jumped over a guy standing in front of him and caught a ball. JUMPED OVER HIM!

The NFL is starving for young blood in the WR department, thats' why I don't really think Kelly's a sure thing for 2008.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/14/2007, 05:42 PM
From what I can tell about CJ off the field, he is the anti TO...More like Marvin Harrison...Has a lot of confidence in himself but he doesnt need someone elses approval to have it...Quietly goes about his business

goingoneight
3/14/2007, 10:18 PM
Sounds like a good guy, then. :) Although I think a lot of TO's problems are inflated by the media. Don't get me wrong, he's trouble for sure, but nobody close to Dallas or TO said in 2006 that he contemplated suicide... that was all ESpin and everyone tryign to get the big story.