PDA

View Full Version : The Death of Saturday Morning Cartoons.

DustySooner
3/13/2007, 03:07 PM
I was reading wikipedia about the decline and eventual extinction of the Saturday morning cartoon lineups(with the exception of stations like Cartoon Network). My favorite thing as a child was waking up, grubbing on some lucky charms, flipping on Fox, and watching toons till noon.

If you're interested in the read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturday_morning_cartoon

I was just curious to see what were your guys' favorite cartoons growing up?

Now, it doesn't necessarily have to be a Saturday morning cartoon. I'll start the party off with the everybody's favorite, Ninja Turtles. :D

(I apologize if a thread like this has already been started.)

SoonerStormchaser
3/13/2007, 03:17 PM
Anything with Looney Tunes...

1stTimeCaller
3/13/2007, 03:28 PM
I was a fan of GI Joe, Duck Tales, Bugs Bunny and cast, and the Smurfs.

frankensooner
3/13/2007, 03:29 PM
Hong Kong Phooey, Scooby Doo, Looney Tunes and Star Trek.

Now if you are talking live-action Saturday Morning, It would be the original Land of the Lost and Sigmund and the Sea monsters.

DustySooner
3/13/2007, 03:30 PM
I was not allowed to watch TV plus we didn't have one when I was little. :D

There's a good side to that. 1.) At least you didn't wonder if there really were giant mutated turtles under the sewers. 2.) You didn't wish you would get bitten by a radioactive spider so you could climb on walls and web your sibling's mouth shut. :)

mxATVracer10
Woody Woodpecker

BigRedJed
I was not allowed to watch TV plus we didn't have one when I was little. :D
http://kabbalah4women.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/amish.jpg

IronSooner
3/13/2007, 03:36 PM
Garfield was the best. I got up, ate a ridiculous amount of pancakes, watched whatever cartoon was on until Garfield, then fell asleep in the floor after Garfield was over. Good freakin' times.

skycat
3/13/2007, 03:37 PM
I liked action cartoons.

Spider Man and his Amazing Friends, Dungeons and Dragons, and Godzilla were my favorites.

Looney Tunes too of course.

ousoonerfan
3/13/2007, 03:41 PM
Looney Tunes, Super Friends and Thundercats!

Schoolhouse Rock; I'm Just a Bill, Conjunction Junction.

Time for Timer commercials! I don't know what that thing was pimping healthy snack food. (wagon wheels and frozen juice pops)

yermom
3/13/2007, 03:43 PM
i never watched GI Joe on Saturdays, it was always after school.

i liked the Looney Tunes, the Foghorn Leghorn ones were probably the best

i always liked the Chimpmunks and Smurfs, it seems like i usually watched the NBC ones

BigRedJed
3/13/2007, 03:47 PM
The day started with static. I would generally wake up around 5:30 on cartoon day. I would go down to the basement where our (one) television was, and turn it on for some static.

Next, I watched this for about 5-10 minutes:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e0/Ihtp.png

Then, this came on:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/66/SMPTE_Color_Bars.svg/320px-SMPTE_Color_Bars.svg.png

Next, I watched Davey and Goliath, which was the first thing to come on. Then, Looney Tunes. Followed that up with some Superfriends. After that, my favorite, Scooby Doo. Not the crappy version with Scrappy and real ghosts. Every mystery was solved in the end. Other favorites included Fat Albert, and Land of the Lost. Fat Albert generally was the last cartoon of the morning.

As I grew a little older, reruns of In Search Of... came on. After that, it was Wide World of Sports time. If the weather was crappy, I might watch some sports, otherwise I was outside running off my Lucky Charms.

rufnek05
3/13/2007, 03:56 PM
tailspin, GI Joes, duck tales, Loony Tunes

Scott D
3/13/2007, 03:58 PM
http://kabbalah4women.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/amish.jpg

those must be Mennonites. Cuz I don't think I'd see an Amish with a cooler ;)

Boomer.....
3/13/2007, 04:01 PM
I loved Fat Albert and Ed Grimley.

Mixer!
3/13/2007, 04:14 PM
The Wacky Races ruled.

SoonerTerry
3/13/2007, 04:44 PM
bugs bunny

Widescreen
3/13/2007, 04:50 PM
I remember when I was REALLY little there was a pre-6am puppet show on about a mouse named Timothy. After that I proceeded to gorge on just about anything that came up. Sigmund and the Sea Monsters, Looney Tunes, Hong Kong Phooey, Isis (OH MIGHTY ISIS!) and as Jed mentioned above, completed the process with The Cosby Kids.

SoonerBorn
3/13/2007, 04:52 PM
http://www.nsftools.com/misc/EWDGZap.jpg

Pricetag
3/13/2007, 04:57 PM
The year 1994: From out of space comes a runaway
planet, hurtling between the Earth and the Moon,
unleashing cosmic destruction. Man's civilization is
cast in ruin.

Two thousand years later, Earth is reborn...

A strange new world rises from the old: a world of
savagery, super science, and sorcery. But one man
bursts his bonds to fight for justice! With his companions
Ookla the Mok and Princess Ariel, he pits his strength,
his courage, and his fabulous Sunsword against the
forces of evil.

He is Thundarr, the Barbarian!

Widescreen
3/13/2007, 05:17 PM
I forgot how hawt Electra Woman was.

Widescreen
3/13/2007, 05:18 PM
his fabulous Sunsword
Worst lightsaber knock-off evar.

slickdawg
3/13/2007, 05:22 PM
Which is why I bought the Warner Brother Looney Toons DVD collection for Slickdaughter to enjoy.

OF course, DORA rules the roost right now.

PhxSooner
3/13/2007, 06:00 PM
Superfriends, Fat Albert, Goldie Gold, Looney Tunes...I sat there until that kids' news show came on. Downer. Now we just TIVO Superfriends, Johnny Quest, and the Herculoids and stay up late Friday night with our kids.

My brother would get up so early that my parents had to institute a no-bothering-parents-until-8 rule.

PhxSooner
3/13/2007, 06:01 PM
We bought the Scooby Doo/Dynomutt Hour set. Ahh, fun times. And I've managed to get my daughter hooked on Richie Rich.

Sooner98
3/13/2007, 06:46 PM
The centerpiece for Saturday morning in the late 70's/early 80's was always Looney Tunes. Specifically, the "Bugs Bunny / Road Runner Show", not the later, watered-down, politically correct "Bugs Bunny / Tweety Show", in which they eliminated virtually all of the cartoon violence that made it so entertaining. No more explosions, anvils falling on heads, being horribly crushed by grand pianos, or falling off of 500-foot cliffs. In my opinion, that is when Saturday morning started going downhill.

Harry Beanbag
3/13/2007, 06:54 PM
The Bugs Bunny/Roadrunner show was the greatest, especially with a few token appearances of Foghorn Leghorn.

The true fall of Saturday morning cartoons was when Scrappy Doo showed up in the Mystery Machine. That little bastard ruined everything. :mad:

Fraggle145
3/13/2007, 06:55 PM
I cant believe noone said He-Man and Thundercats yet...

Dungeons and Dragons had a good toon for a while too...

PhxSooner
3/13/2007, 06:55 PM
The centerpiece for Saturday morning in the late 70's/early 80's was always Looney Tunes. Specifically, the "Bugs Bunny / Road Runner Show", not the later, watered-down, politically correct "Bugs Bunny / Tweety Show", in which they eliminated virtually all of the cartoon violence that made it so entertaining. No more explosions, anvils falling on heads, being horribly crushed by grand pianos, or falling off of 500-foot cliffs. In my opinion, that is when Saturday morning started going downhill.
"Overture, curtain, lights/This is it, we'll hit the heights/And oh, what heights we'll hit/on with the show, this is it/"

Harry Beanbag
3/13/2007, 07:00 PM

Probably because those sucked.

RiddlerOK
3/13/2007, 07:00 PM
Ahhh the gold ole days when "Rocky and Bullwinkle", "Underdog", "Johnny Quest" and "Scooby Doo" ruled the roost. Then there was "Land of the Lost"..........

Turd_Ferguson
3/13/2007, 07:04 PM
I think Felix and Magoo were more of a weekday a.m. toon. Remember Captain Kangaroo and Mr. Green Jeans, HoHo the clown?

SoonerDood
3/13/2007, 07:05 PM
Bugs was the King. Certainly. No question.

Sooner98
3/13/2007, 07:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D74Bk3uvGj4&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ry-Bwtc4a0

reevie
3/13/2007, 07:28 PM
Trying to search those brain cells to find something no-one has mentioned yet... I remember Voltron. Those guys who drove the cats that joined into a giant robot guy. Was that on Saturday mornings?

DustySooner
3/13/2007, 07:34 PM
Trying to search those brain cells to find something no-one has mentioned yet... I remember Voltron. Those guys who drove the cats that joined into a giant robot guy. Was that on Saturday mornings?

I think that was Thunder Cats. I haven't seen a mention of ghostbusters. Do...Ray....Egon!!!

Howzit
3/13/2007, 07:49 PM
Ahhh the gold ole days when "Rocky and Bullwinkle", "Underdog", "Johnny Quest" and "Scooby Doo" ruled the roost. Then there was "Land of the Lost"..........

Yep.

And Fantastic 4 and Spiderman on Sundays before church.

That's right, I went to church.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/13/2007, 07:56 PM

No more speedy gonzales either

tbl
3/13/2007, 10:09 PM
I just had this conversation the other day. The stinking cartoon channels have killed after school and most of the special time that was Saturday morning. I mean... how great was it to wake up early on a Saturday, just so you could eat cereal in front of the TV and watch your favorite toons? It's a shame my kids will never have that. As a parent now, I can see that it was probably cool for them as well.

These are at different stages in my life and varied levels of liking them, but I remember most of them very well.

Saturday mornings: Looney Tunes above all, Smurfs, Snorks, USA Cartoon Express, Garfield, the WWF cartoon, Superfriends, Hair Bear Bunch, Shirt Tales, Spiderman/Iceman/Firewoman (don't remember what it was called), the Chipmunks, Pee Wee's playhouse, Muppet Babies, Pac-Man, Thundar the Barbarian.

After school: Duck Tales, GI Joe, Rescue Rangers, TMNT, He-Man, Transformers, Ghostbusters (that may have been before school), Inspector Gadget, Tiny Toons & Animaniacs (towards the end).

tbl
3/13/2007, 10:16 PM
The Bugs Bunny/Roadrunner show was the greatest, especially with a few token appearances of Foghorn Leghorn.

Dude, it's impossible to beat the image of him sneaking up on the sleeping dog, pick him up by the tail, swat him like 9 times really fast, then run away just to bait the dog to choke himself. Classic...

SoonerGirl06
3/13/2007, 10:22 PM
Shazam, Land of the Lost (original), Scooby-Doo, Superfriends and Looney Tunes. Roadrunner was funnier than hell.

Does anyone remember what the name of that show was that had the dune buggy that talked and had those huge headlights for eyes?

tbl
3/13/2007, 10:24 PM
Why I haven't you tubed Looney Tunes until now is beyond me. Wow! There's a lot of stuff there!

Widescreen
3/13/2007, 10:29 PM
Does anyone remember what the name of that show was that had the dune buggy that talked and had those huge headlights for eyes?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_Buggy

sooneron
3/13/2007, 10:31 PM
There was no Fox when I was watching tv on Saturday mornings. I had bugs bunny roadrunner show, Shazam, Isis, Wonder bug, Sigmund the Sea Monster, HR Puffenstuff...

sooneron
3/13/2007, 10:32 PM
Shazam, Land of the Lost (original), Scooby-Doo, Superfriends and Looney Tunes. Roadrunner was funnier than hell.

Wonder Bug- his name was schlep car.

AllAboutThe'O'
3/13/2007, 10:53 PM
Can't believe no one's mentioned In the News during the CBS cartoons and One to Grow On during the NBC cartoons. Also, does anyone but me remember a similar segment on ABC called "Dear Alex and Annie?" It was this couple that answered viewer mail and they would answer each response in the form of a song.

As far as cartoon-watching goes, I too loved the Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Show (I think it was 90 minutes long). Here's some other cartoons that were great back in the day: Saturday Supercade (had video game characters like Qbert and Donkey Kong); Mighty Mouse; Plastic Man; the Smurfs (yeah, I watched like the first season or so, you've gotta problem with that?); Kwicky Koala; Popeye; and Pac-Man.

Oh, and does anyone remember the animated Rubik's Cube series with the talking Rubik's Cube. Cree-py.

soonerboomer93
3/13/2007, 10:55 PM
transformers
school house rock

bitches!

Sooner98
3/13/2007, 11:26 PM
Anyone remember the Laff-a-Lympics? Go Scoobie Doobies!!

http://www.scoobydooweloveyou.com/scoobies.jpg

How about Speed Buggy?

http://www.ransackery.com/uploaded_images/TW1136-Speed-Buggy.jpg

KC//CRIMSON
3/14/2007, 12:36 AM

I think it was called the Kroft Supershow.

Wonderbug
Electra Woman & Dyna Girl
Dr. Shrinker

SoonerGirl06
3/14/2007, 12:41 AM
Wonder Bug- his name was schlep car.

Yeah! That was it! Good heavens! Some of the things I thought was sooo cool as a kid. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XRKa6uwqW0&mode=related&search=

soonerboomer93
3/14/2007, 12:56 AM
captain caveman pwns

OKC Sooner
3/14/2007, 02:05 AM
No love for Beany and Cecil the Seasick Sea Serpent?

BigRedJed
3/14/2007, 02:15 AM
Wonderbug was a Scooby Doo ripoff, except Scooby was a car. Of course, I guess it's OK to rip off yourself. I did like some Captain Caveman, 'though I was getting a little old for cartoons by the time it came out.

The Kroft Supershow and Land of the Lost were also favorites.

SoonerJack
3/14/2007, 08:37 AM

Dungeons and Dragons had a good toon for a while too...

By the power of GREYSKULL!!!!

My faves were and still are the classics. Bugs Bunny, Wile E. Coyote, Foghorn Leghorn, etc. Anything done by Chuck Jones was money.

Then later, when our boys were watchin' cartoons: Recess had the best writing. They also liked the one on Nick with the skating/surfing kids... oh yeah, Rocket Power.

Widescreen
3/14/2007, 08:38 AM
The Kroft Supershow and Land of the Lost were also favorites.
Chaka pwn3d!

Weera! Hawry! (talked a little like Kim Jong il).

ousoonerfan
3/14/2007, 09:38 AM
Tom & Jerry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3vHN1Aadck

Fraggle145
3/14/2007, 09:54 AM
Not necessarily a cartoon, but anyone remember picture pages?

Fraggle rock still rocked!!

C&CDean
3/14/2007, 10:17 AM
You ****in' hillbillies must have missed out on all the good cartoons. Guess I'm just older than y'all.

Magilla Gorilla
Lippy the Lion and Har de har har
Spaaaaaacee Ghoooost
Adam Ant
Mighty Mouse
Sherman and Peabody
Huckleberry Hound
Wally Gator

Widescreen
3/14/2007, 10:17 AM
BIG

BLUE

MARBLE

OK, so it's not a cartoon, but it was saturday morning fare.

Widescreen
3/14/2007, 10:18 AM
You ****in' hillbillies must have missed out on all the good cartoons. Guess I'm just older than y'all.

Magilla Gorilla
Spaaaaaacee Ghoooost
Adam Ant
Mighty Mouse
Sherman and Peabody
Huckleberry Hound
Wally Gator
Most of us got to watch cartoons on TELEVISION rather than having to quickly fan through the pages of a book.

;)

C&CDean
3/14/2007, 10:40 AM
Most of us got to watch cartoons on TELEVISION rather than having to quickly fan through the pages of a book.

;)
And who remembers when Cracker Jack had those little "fan-through-the-pages" cartoons as their prize? Or the little whistles? Mom always loved it when I'd get one of those little CJ whistles.

rufnek05
3/14/2007, 11:01 AM
Magilla Gorilla
Spaaaaaacee Ghoooost
Adam Ant
Mighty Mouse
Sherman and Peabody
Huckleberry Hound
Wally Gator

was Sherman and Peabody that dog and kid that travled back in time?

PhxSooner
3/14/2007, 11:41 AM
Boomerang has the old cartoons, and so the kids and I watch a lot of old stuff now. I love Huckleberry Hound and Rocky & Bullwinkle. My daughter is hooked on Charlie Chan/Chan Clan.

setem
3/14/2007, 11:52 AM
Old School toons I watched back in the day:
Scooby Doo
Jonny Quest
Snorks
Smurfs
Space Ghost(the old one not the new one)
and the shorts like Bugs Bunny, Tom and Jerry, Poppeye and at Christmas I loved the shows that would show a compilation of Holday Shorts.

Toons from my day:
TMNT(I know that is gay but I did not feel like spelling it out.)
Bat Man
Spider Man
GI Joe
Swat Kats
Hey Arnold
Doug

Non-toon kid shows:
Anything on snick!
Pete and Pete
You can't say that on tv.
Are you afraid of the dark?
Power Rangers
VR Troopers

I was in the Fox Kid's Club I don't know if any of you remember that or not. I loved getting my magizine every month.

rufnek05
3/14/2007, 12:41 PM
i'm watchin tom and jerry right now, its the episode where tom and his lady friend go to the beach, and tom competes with the other cats to impress the female by weight lifting. but jerry ends up with the girl. classic

C&CDean
3/14/2007, 12:43 PM
Jonny Quest was one of my favs too. Jonny, Hadji, Bandit, Reese Bannon, Dr. Quest - ah, good times.

Widescreen
3/14/2007, 01:13 PM
Hadji had mystical turban powers.

Sooner98
3/14/2007, 01:21 PM
Check these out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYHmMptQ-f0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i_E-FxAGD8

IB4OU2
3/14/2007, 01:49 PM
No love for Yogi the Bear?

How about Kookla, Fran and Ollie?

ousoonerfan
3/14/2007, 01:53 PM
Plastic Man? I know he's a ripoff of Reed Richards, but he had cool shades and a plane!

Kels
3/14/2007, 01:55 PM
Saturday Morning:

Scooby Doo
Jonny Quest
Tarzan/Lone Ranger hour
Shazam
Looney Toons
Laff-A-Lympics
Hong Kong Phooey
Blue Falcon
Wonderbug
Land of the Lost

After School:

The Omega Man
GI Joe
After School Special

Sunday Mornings (I could only watch when I stayed home from church sick)

Star Trek Cartoon

soonersweetie
3/14/2007, 02:50 PM
My faves were

Scooby Doo (my kids watch that now)
Casper the Friendly Ghost (and his girlfriend witch, Wendy)
Flintstones
Jetsons
and love the old Looney Tunes cartoons

I remember my sister and I would fight over who got to watch what cause we only had one tv at the time, there weren't any cable channels either.

And I also remember sitting on the floor eating cereal in front of the tv. Saturday mornings were awesome!

Now my Saturdays consist of College Gameday :D

C&CDean
3/14/2007, 02:54 PM
My faves were

Scooby Doo (my kids watch that now)
Casper the Friendly Ghost (and his girlfriend witch, Wendy)
Flintstones
Jetsons
and love the old Looney Tunes cartoons

I remember my sister and I would fight over who got to watch what cause we only had one tv at the time, there weren't any cable channels either.

And I also remember sitting on the floor eating cereal in front of the tv. Saturday mornings were awesome!

Now my Saturdays consist of College Gameday :D
I can't believe nobody mentioned the Jetsons and Flinstones before now (I think). My problem with a lot of cartoons is when I see the name, I think of the theme song and can't get it out of my head.

"Meet George Jetson.....Jane his wife........daughter Judy......his son Elroy......." GAH!!!:eddie:

yermom
3/14/2007, 02:57 PM
wasn't the Flintstones on in prime time?

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/14/2007, 02:58 PM
http://caygibson.typepad.com/cays_cajun_cottage/images/sigmund.jpg

C&CDean
3/14/2007, 03:14 PM
wasn't the Flintstones on in prime time?

Yabba dabba doooo!!!!!

Ya bastage.

Mixer!
3/14/2007, 04:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP0c7mcg_UY

Pricetag
3/14/2007, 04:29 PM
"Meet George Jetson.....Jane his wife........daughter Judy......his son Elroy......." GAH!!!:eddie:
Even as a kid, I'd get ****ed when Jane would take George's wallet, leaving him with only a few bucks.

C&CDean
3/14/2007, 04:36 PM
Even as a kid, I'd get ****ed when Jane would take George's wallet, leaving him with only a few bucks.

Yeah, and then Astro the dog would take off on that treadmill and poor George would be going round-and-round. Poor bastage.

Sooner_Bob
3/14/2007, 05:28 PM
So do you any of you folks have Boomerang? They play tons of old school toons.

PhxSooner
3/14/2007, 05:37 PM
Best station we've got. My kids love it, and I don't have to be worried as much about what they'll see on it.

DustySooner
3/14/2007, 05:49 PM

Duck Dodgers f-ing rocks.

BigRedJed
3/14/2007, 06:53 PM
Duck Dodgers f-ing rocks.
Theme song by... ...the Flaming Lips. And Tom Jones.

WTF??!

stoops the eternal pimp
3/14/2007, 07:00 PM
Hulk Hogan's Rock n Wrestling where they would race each other in their hot rods.....yeah that was nice

DustySooner
3/14/2007, 07:11 PM
Theme song by... ...the Flaming Lips. And Tom Jones.

WTF??!

Holy crap, I did not know this. I had to look this up to be sure, and you weren't BSing. Wow....what a duo.

OUHOMER
3/14/2007, 07:41 PM
I am with the old school crowd here. now a few years ago i got a hoot out of ren and stimpy. Not a kids show