PDA

View Full Version : Rock and Roll HOF

Taxman71
3/13/2007, 11:07 AM
Last night's induction ceremony was pitiful (except for REM and Patti Smith). Watching Sammy and Michael accept for Van Halen was like having Gary Gibbs stand-in for Switzer at his induction in South Bend. And Scott Weiland has totally jumped the shark with Velvet Revolver and somehow lost the ability to not only sing, but walk as well. There were 12 people better than him on RockStar Supernova.

Love and appreciate Grandmaster Flash, but this is the "Rock and Roll" Hall of Fame last time I checked.

tbl
3/13/2007, 11:14 AM
So neither of the Van Halens or DLR showed up???? Eddie is one messed up individual...

Taxman71
3/13/2007, 11:16 AM
Eddie's in rehab and Alex refused to show if Eddie didn't/couldn't. DLR has his usually fight about who/what to sing. The only thing sadder was Velvet Revolver's attempt to cover Ain't Talkin Bout Love. Man I hate Scott Wieland.

85Sooner
3/13/2007, 11:17 AM
I believe Eddie just checked into rehab. I though I saw a story on that and they didn't think he would be able to attend the ceremony.

frankensooner
3/13/2007, 11:24 AM
Dave didn't want Velvet Revolver to do the VH songs. I guess he was right on that account.

KC//CRIMSON
3/13/2007, 12:10 PM
What a total cluster****. If that Velvet Revolver performance didn't send Eddie off the side of the wagon, I don't know what would have....

and these two numbnutz are in their mid-fifties and still feel the need to flash the ***** sign? Good grief. Lame.

http://classicvanhalen.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=16109&stc=1&d=1173761219

Scott D
3/13/2007, 12:15 PM
Last night's induction ceremony was pitiful (except for REM and Patti Smith). Watching Sammy and Michael accept for Van Halen was like having Gary Gibbs stand-in for Switzer at his induction in South Bend. And Scott Weiland has totally jumped the shark with Velvet Revolver and somehow lost the ability to not only sing, but walk as well. There were 12 people better than him on RockStar Supernova.

Love and appreciate Grandmaster Flash, but this is the "Rock and Roll" Hall of Fame last time I checked.

That's funny, I sure see a lot of non "rock and roll" names on the inductee (http://www.rockhall.com/inductees/inductee-list/) list.

Taxman71
3/13/2007, 12:27 PM
I think Rock and Roll includes those artists whose influence affects rock in future years. Grandmaster Flash and the Sugar Hill Gang were the Chuck Berry and Bill Haley of rap and hip hop.

Not dogging on rap, just thought it was a strange sight. It would be like Metallica playing the Grand Ole Opry...cool but odd.

Taxman71
3/13/2007, 12:29 PM
What a total cluster****. If that Velvet Revolver performance didn't send Eddie off the side of the wagon, I don't know what would have....

and these two numbnutz are in their mid-fifties and still feel the need to flash the ***** sign? Good grief. Lame.

http://classicvanhalen.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=16109&stc=1&d=1173761219

Wasn't their last record titled For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge? Their was time VH didn't have to do that to be cool.

DustySooner
3/13/2007, 01:11 PM
Scott Weiland has a freakin awesome voice...when he wants to. He turned into a walking fruitcake over the years. I've been dissappointed with him...people would kill to have a voice like his, yet he acts like a useless dork 90% of the time. Bah!

tbl
3/13/2007, 01:47 PM
I'm interested now... Was it on VH1?

You'd still have thought Alex and Wolfy would have shown up to represent the actual namesakes of the friggin band. It makes me wonder if Eddie going into rehab at this time (knowing he was going to be inducted and when the ceremony was) was not just a cop out so he wouldn't have to look like a prick. Instead, now we're supposed to feel sorry for him. I mean, the guy does have quite a prick track record...

Taxman71
3/13/2007, 02:00 PM
It was on the MusicHD channel last night. 741 or something like that.

Widescreen
3/13/2007, 02:24 PM
Wasn't their last record titled For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge? Their was time VH didn't have to do that to be cool.
I believe Balance was the last Van Hagar CD.

Taxman71
3/13/2007, 02:32 PM
I believe Balance was the last Van Hagar CD.

Sorry. I had lost interest in them by then.

SoonerStormchaser
3/13/2007, 02:42 PM
I'll ask this every time this subject is brought up:

WHY THE **** IS RUSH NOT IN YET?

achiro
3/13/2007, 02:46 PM
http://www.apostropher.com/blog/img/scaryeddie.jpg

springs sooner
3/13/2007, 03:12 PM
http://www.apostropher.com/blog/img/scaryeddie.jpg

what you found my missing brown teeth. Cool dude

Taxman71
3/13/2007, 03:30 PM
That looks like Patti Smith in Hi-def.

Scott D
3/13/2007, 03:50 PM
I'm interested now... Was it on VH1?

You'd still have thought Alex and Wolfy would have shown up to represent the actual namesakes of the friggin band. It makes me wonder if Eddie going into rehab at this time (knowing he was going to be inducted and when the ceremony was) was not just a cop out so he wouldn't have to look like a prick. Instead, now we're supposed to feel sorry for him. I mean, the guy does have quite a prick track record...

it was on vh1 classic. they went back and showed some past performances during the downtime. Including the South Oval favorite ensemble performance of "As My Guitar Gently Weeps."

My personal favorite old performance was the BB King, Buddy Guy, Eric Clapton performance for the year that Buddy Guy got inducted.

I think Rock and Roll includes those artists whose influence affects rock in future years. Grandmaster Flash and the Sugar Hill Gang were the Chuck Berry and Bill Haley of rap and hip hop.

Not dogging on rap, just thought it was a strange sight. It would be like Metallica playing the Grand Ole Opry...cool but odd.

I think the problem with the RnR HoF is the name of it. It's pretty much all encompassing of 'American' music. I'm biased with Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five because I've got some vinyls of theirs. I also think that it opens the door for other original innovators to get in as well, such as Afrika Bambaata & The Soul Sonic Force. I think it's more an indication of how music in this country has evolved, and the fact that they got recognized for it is pretty special to me. Not to mention, you could tell it meant a great deal to the 5 remaining members of that group to be inducted. Certainly more than it meant to the 'current' members of Van Dysfunctional.

I have no clue how the REM part turned out. I turned it off when I heard that Eddie Vedder would be doing the opening big and whatnot for REM. However, I can't argue against the importance that REM has in music even though I can't stand them, and blame them for the B-52s.

Taxman71
3/13/2007, 04:02 PM
Good points. I just think Run DMC would be in the ROR HOF before Grandmaster Flash for what they did with Aerosmith in 1986 and the whole bridge between rock and rap, not to mention reviving Aerosmith's career. Ton Loc's sample of Jamie's Cryin' in Wild Thang, probably not.

I only hope Anthrax's take on rap I'm The Man doesn't resurface.

FWIW, I had Boogie Boys and Egyptian Lover on vinyl. Don't know where now though.

MamaMia
3/13/2007, 08:07 PM
He he he. I thought this thread was titled Rock and Roll HOE. :O

See there what SO is doing to my psyche? :P

Rogue
3/13/2007, 08:33 PM
Several notable exceptions. If you ever find yourself stuck in Cleveland, it's worth spending a whole day there. The Jimi Hendrix room is greatness. I went for the 2nd time two weeks ago.

Miles Davis is in there and I read the justification. Miles was decidedly "anti-rock 'n roll" but influenced and collaborated with so many other artists that he was voted in easily.

Bob Wills, same deal.

BigRedJed
3/13/2007, 08:39 PM
Charlie Chistian, who died a decade before rock and roll even began, is in.

King Crimson
3/13/2007, 08:40 PM
However, I can't argue against the importance that REM has in music even though I can't stand them, and blame them for the B-52s.

Rock Lobster and teh B-52's self-titled record was big before REM even sniffed radio or even Murmur or Reckoning came out. it's the other way around. Pylon was the "other" big Athens, GA band before REM.

King Crimson
3/13/2007, 08:41 PM
until Big Star, the stooges, gang of four, or the Minutemen are in the RORHF, it means nothing to me.

King Crimson
3/13/2007, 08:48 PM
on the subject of miles....check out the complete Jack Johnson recordings....that's some pretty rocking shizz.

Cam
3/13/2007, 08:49 PM
My personal favorite old performance was the BB King, Buddy Guy, Eric Clapton performance for the year that Buddy Guy got inducted.
Same here.

What's the beef with Michael Anthony and the VH's. From the brief Q&A after the show, seemed like it wasn't MA's idea to be replaced by Wolfgang. Sammy threw out a couple of jabs at DLR during the Q&A as well, repeatedly saying "if everybody would just grow up, I'd go on the road tomorrow."

Both songs by Velvet Revolver just sucked major ***. Ain't no way Scott Weiland's clean. Dude looked like a freakin skeleton.

King Crimson
3/13/2007, 08:51 PM
i posted in another thread a Velvet Revolver youtube cover of roadhouse blues that sucks. sucks like crazy.

screw those guys. STP was not a memorable band and so what if the former Gunners made one good record. Izzy was the guy who made that band go, notice how when he left they started to suck. and he put out a pretty decent stonesy-Exile sounding record....

BigRedJed
3/13/2007, 09:00 PM
Rock Lobster and teh B-52's self-titled record was big before REM even sniffed radio or even Murmur or Reckoning came out. it's the other way around. Pylon was the "other" big Athens, GA band before REM.
Hell, they recorded that album before REM even FORMED.

tbl
3/13/2007, 09:44 PM
Exactly... and I think the B-52's are pretty stinking awesome.

BigRedJed
3/13/2007, 09:56 PM
Around the time he died, John Lennon said that their eponymous debut was his favorite album of all time. :eek:

HoserSooner
3/13/2007, 10:17 PM
I'll ask this every time this subject is brought up:

WHY THE **** IS RUSH NOT IN YET?

Post of the year.

And I would also suggest making a day of it if you ever find yourself in Cleveland. Pink Floyd exhibit is excellent.

sooneron
3/13/2007, 10:24 PM

SUGAR HILL GANG?!?!?!
Surely you jest.

sooneron
3/13/2007, 10:26 PM
KIng Crimsowned!!!

I was thinking the same thing. Uh, one hit it WAY before the other. The B 52s were the ones responsible for the Athens scene.

Their early stuff was greatness. Too many people not in the know only think of friggin Love Sahck when it comes to the B 52s.

tbl
3/13/2007, 10:44 PM
No doubt. They were very new wave... Good stuff on those early albums. Heck I even like some of the later stuff.

King Crimson
3/13/2007, 10:58 PM
KIng Crimsowned!!!

I was thinking the same thing. Uh, one hit it WAY before the other. The B 52s were the ones responsible for the Athens scene.

Their early stuff was greatness. Too many people not in the know only think of friggin Love Sahck when it comes to the B 52s.

i bet early live show were pretty kick ***. those two chicks whatever their names are......they could do it.

my freshman roomie at Vanderbilt was from Athens, and he knew all the shizz.

he was good guy, classical guitar major....and could play all of Peter Buck's stuff easy..and was a big REM fan.

and he had a rickenbacker electric, his classical nylon sring guitar.....it was like a 2000$ instrument. beautiful. he listened to Segovia and Christopher Parkening all the time.

but, we also used to get stoned out of our minds and listen to Morrison Hotel and play, yes, the original Flaming Lips EP through his guitar amp.

bitches.

Soonerchaz
3/13/2007, 11:33 PM
until Big Star, the stooges, gang of four, or the Minutemen are in the RORHF, it means nothing to me.

Word. Too bad ol D. Boon ain't around anymore. Leaving Big Star and The Stooges out is criminal.

And you beat me to it on the B-52s. When did Rock Lobster come out...1978?

I'm not much of a Vedder fan...but I thought he did a fine job introducing REM. It's obvious that he's a big fan. Shoot...REM was everything to me from about '83 to '87. And LOVED hearing Gardening at Night.

def_lazer_fc
3/14/2007, 01:54 AM

couldn't have said it better myself. btw, have you heard the new stooges album? compared to anything else right now, it's pretty good. compared to the stooges, its alright. of course it could never stack up to funhouse, but it's way better than skull ring ever hoped to be.

King Crimson
3/14/2007, 07:00 AM
Word. Too bad ol D. Boon ain't around anymore. Leaving Big Star and The Stooges out is criminal.

And you beat me to it on the B-52s. When did Rock Lobster come out...1978?

I'm not much of a Vedder fan...but I thought he did a fine job introducing REM. It's obvious that he's a big fan. Shoot...REM was everything to me from about '83 to '87. And LOVED hearing Gardening at Night.

there's some cool 83-87 stuff on youtube, harbourcoat or something on letterman....that kind of stuff. they were great before they learned how to write songs. if you would have told me in 1984 that there would ever be a time you could buy REM records at Target.....i'd still be laughing.

they sucked after fables....but it was a good ride.

d.boon, RIP. there's a pretty good documentary out about the minutemen and D. Jam Econo.

King Crimson
3/14/2007, 07:04 AM
on the subject of Athens, there is a decent documentary called Athens Inside/Out. some of it is pretty cool. some good tunes from bands like Time Toy and the Kilkenny Cats.....it's a good time. period piece.

King Crimson
3/14/2007, 07:18 AM
and i'm telling you, Bag Full of Thoughts or Out for A Walk in the morning, or whatever the **** that song is called.......at maximum mind shearing volume through a guitar amp is not a thing to be missed. like listening to all 18 minutes of Sister Ray, every fan of good music should do it once.

Soonerchaz
3/14/2007, 08:59 AM
there's some cool 83-87 stuff on youtube, harbourcoat or something on letterman....that kind of stuff. they were great before they learned how to write songs. if you would have told me in 1984 that there would ever be a time you could buy REM records at Target.....i'd still be laughing.

they sucked after fables....but it was a good ride.

d.boon, RIP. there's a pretty good documentary out about the minutemen and D. Jam Econo.

Life's Rich Pageant was worthy...but not my fav. But it does have my favorite REM song of all time...Flowers of Guatemala. They started slipping off the map after that...especially for me.

Yeah...I've seen the Minutemen documentary. There's an internet collection out there somewhere...with a bunch of Minutemen video. 'King of the Hill' just kills me...that big dude grilling up some burgers then just rolling down the hill. RIP indeed.

Glad they're some old time fans out there.

King Crimson
3/14/2007, 09:40 AM
Around the time he died, John Lennon said that their eponymous debut was his favorite album of all time. :eek:

Lennon was also a big fan of Captain Beefheart's "Safe As Milk".

which is a great one.

Taxman71
3/14/2007, 09:48 AM
SUGAR HILL GANG?!?!?!
Surely you jest.

Dude, I was 10 years old and stuck in the burbs. It was a nice tradeoff to my mom's Statler Brothers LP.

Taxman71
3/14/2007, 09:49 AM
Same here.

What's the beef with Michael Anthony and the VH's. From the brief Q&A after the show, seemed like it wasn't MA's idea to be replaced by Wolfgang. Sammy threw out a couple of jabs at DLR during the Q&A as well, repeatedly saying "if everybody would just grow up, I'd go on the road tomorrow."

Both songs by Velvet Revolver just sucked major ***. Ain't no way Scott Weiland's clean. Dude looked like a freakin skeleton.

Sammy also introduced Velvet Revolver as the last great rock and roll band on the planet....so his credibility is shot to hell.

King Crimson
3/14/2007, 09:57 AM
Sammy sucks. he's always sucked. VOA? c'mon.

King Crimson
3/14/2007, 01:28 PM
Sammy also introduced Velvet Revolver as the last great rock and roll band on the planet....so his credibility is shot to hell.

more and more i look at this statement and think it's so stupid...."last great rock and roll band".

there's a lot of good music these days. if Sammy means sounds like aging arena rock with less talent dinosaurs then he's right.

like i said, I'd much rather go see whatever Izzy Stradlin is doing than pay 60 bucks to see the most overrated guitarist in the world, Slash, and "Weiland" suck out loud. at least Izzy probably listened to Exile all the way through instead of spending his time looking the mirror.

i saw GnR in about 90 or 91 at McNichols in Denver...it was possibly the worst live show i've ever seen. whatever the name of that band with "Sebastian Bach" opened and were so much better it was ridiculous. they kind of rocked.

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/14/2007, 01:36 PM
...whatever the name of that band with "Sebastian Bach" opened and were so much better it was ridiculous. they kind of rocked.

\m/ YES!!! \m/

Taxman71
3/14/2007, 01:43 PM
I always liked Skid Row.

Scott D
3/14/2007, 04:47 PM

*I* can blame whoever I want for the Athens Music Scene that I want...and *I* choose to blame Stipe for everything that Kurt Cobain wasn't already guilty of :D

King Crimson
3/14/2007, 06:21 PM
Skid Row, that's right.

Cam
3/14/2007, 08:38 PM
Yeah, that was very much a WTF comment from Sammy.

BigRedJed
3/14/2007, 09:46 PM
Pretty much every comment from Sammy these days is a WTF comment.

Cam
3/14/2007, 09:47 PM
Pretty much every comment from Sammy these days is a WTF comment.
The only current/former band members that appears not to be phuked in the head is Michael Anthony.

sooneron
3/14/2007, 09:56 PM
i bet early live show were pretty kick ***. those two chicks whatever their names are......they could do it.

my freshman roomie at Vanderbilt was from Athens, and he knew all the shizz.

he was good guy, classical guitar major....and could play all of Peter Buck's stuff easy..and was a big REM fan.

and he had a rickenbacker electric, his classical nylon sring guitar.....it was like a 2000$ instrument. beautiful. he listened to Segovia and Christopher Parkening all the time.

but, we also used to get stoned out of our minds and listen to Morrison Hotel and play, yes, the original Flaming Lips EP through his guitar amp.

bitches.

Nice! I was watching The Tube the other day. I do it when I am working from home- great mix of vids from here (I can get caught up on decent stuff) and then- They actually played a Quiche Lorraine vid from like 1979! It was hilarious, but greatness.

Kate Pierson was the more memorable chick from the 52's. She teamed up with Iggy on Candy. Great pipes on her.

and I WOULD KILL FOR A RICKENBACKER.

King Crimson
3/14/2007, 11:15 PM
here's some doubled barrelled Rickenbacker action:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LSYV-Hi-Vnc

sooneron
3/14/2007, 11:19 PM
here's some doubled barrelled Rickenbacker action:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LSYV-Hi-Vnc
The rick bass is a classic.