PDA

View Full Version : Danney Goble 1946-2007

Sooner_Havok
3/13/2007, 12:59 AM
Was one of the best professors that has ever taught at the University of Oklahoma. I get to work at the library tonight and see on the front page of the student newspaper that he had died...

I have been around this campus for the better part of five years, and frankly he was one of, if not the best around! The way he taught, you wanted to show up to his classes, you hung on his every word, and two years later I can still remember most everything that he taught me. He was passionate about teaching and he was passionate about Oklahoma history.

I am not what you would call religious, but if you guys could keep Danney and his family in your prayers, I would appreciate it. Thanks guys.

SoonerTerry
3/13/2007, 01:41 AM
rip... prayers with the family

BoogercountySooner
3/13/2007, 05:16 AM
Done

reevie
3/13/2007, 06:55 AM
He was awesome. A Yellow Dog Democrat, but just awesome. I took two of his classes back in 1992, the second one just because he taught it. That spring semester, Stipe got on the floor of the House and called for him to be fired because he helped the Dallas Morning News on an article about Little Dixie. Goble was quoted "it just isn't a day in Little Dixie without a Moonpie and RC Cola or Nehi Orange". That story bumped the debates of whether or not Tubbs should be doing his weekly call-in show at Hooters off the front page of the Oklahoma Daily.

He is the only college professor I can still remember and the lectures and stories he'd tell. I wanted to model my teaching/public speaking style after him. There were days where I'd look at the clock, 30 minutes into the class and realize that he had started his lecture 28 minutes ago.

Thanks for passing the word.

SoonerProphet
3/13/2007, 11:13 AM
That is sad to hear. If you didn't have Savage or Goble, you missed out on some great Oklahoma and American History lectures.

reevie
3/13/2007, 01:10 PM
I credit Goble for my A in Savage's class. I had both classes the same semester so I used what I learned i Goble's class on my Savage final.