PDA

View Full Version : Allow me to clear the air.

Big Red Ron
3/13/2007, 12:22 AM
I don't hate Kelvin Sampson.

I appreciate all that he did here.

He did some great things and some mindboggling bad things.

He was an ambasidor of CBB and OU for many years.

He deserves all the praise he gets.

He also deserves all the critisism.

We all just finished the first season after he left and it's becoming clear to many of us the impact of his 12 years. Good and bad.

I almost feel sorry for him throwing away his golden boy image, nationally with the probation. Which, by the way, is hurting recruiting, as we have less offers we can make.

I have no hate for Kelvin and wish him well. It's just unfortunate that we had to endure the fruits of his actions this year.

I am optimistice about our future and will not mention Kelvin again after this thread.

BOOMER SOONER!

the_ouskull
3/13/2007, 05:20 PM
Good thread, and I thank and commend you for it.

the_ouskull

CtheB
3/13/2007, 05:26 PM
I don't hate Kelvin Sampson.

I appreciate all that he did here.

He did some great things and some mindboggling bad things.

He was an ambasidor of CBB and OU for many years.

He deserves all the praise he gets.

He also deserves all the critisism.

We all just finished the first season after he left and it's becoming clear to many of us the impact of his 12 years. Good and bad.

I almost feel sorry for him throwing away his golden boy image, nationally with the probation. Which, by the way, is hurting recruiting, as we have less offers we can make.

I have no hate for Kelvin and wish him well. It's just unfortunate that we had to endure the fruits of his actions this year.

I am optimistice about our future and will not mention Kelvin again after this thread.

BOOMER SOONER!

Following your comments when he was still the coach, I believe this is a fair and accurate summarization of your thoughts.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/13/2007, 05:28 PM
word BRR...

A few days ago I made a thread just about a thought I had about some of the players who arent here anymore, not ever mentioning the former coaches name, and was reacted to like I shot someone in the back..I never put blame on anyone but people just assume I was taking a shot at the former coach.

But to think about a player who has left the program means I am wasting someone who is here now...or something like that..I need to buy a quotes calendar too

the_ouskull
3/15/2007, 08:28 PM
I didn't "buy a quotes calendar." I'm an English teacher. [Sentence Fragment] Dumb*ss. [/Sentence Fragment]

j/k :D

the_ouskull

Post Script -- And it's "to be upset over what you do not have is to waste what you DO have," thankyouverymuch. :mack:

Taxman71
3/16/2007, 09:15 AM
With the exception of his record in the Big Dance, noone can logically argue against Kelvin's coaching ability. However, his PR skills never fostered a rabid fanbase despite having some great teams in Norman. It always seemed like fans were an annoyance to him. Running off high school all americans never helps a coach's image either.

That being said, take away the fluke ankle injury to Quannas in 2002 during Final 4 practices and the fluke groin tear to Hollis with 30 seconds left in the 2003 Big 12 championship game and we may have had a trophy in Norman.

okienole3
3/17/2007, 07:24 AM
That being said, take away the fluke ankle injury to Quannas in 2002 during Final 4 practices and the fluke groin tear to Hollis with 30 seconds left in the 2003 Big 12 championship game and we may have had a trophy in Norman.

Neither were flukes. They are a direct result of Sampson's "tough" coaching.

Rogue
3/17/2007, 08:04 AM
I was a Sampson supporter. Now I'm not. Looking back, a few of my friends were always upset that he pimped himself out every year looking for a better deal. I defended him, saying "that's just business and you can't blame a coach for looking out for himself these days." The only criticism I agreed with was that his teams were sort of boring to watch. But I'll still take "boring" wins versus exciting losses.

I don't wish him well anymore. He's due for a good old fashioned ***-whoopin' from his own Karma. I hope it hurts.

I'm also about ready to move on.

Taxman71
3/19/2007, 10:43 AM
Neither were flukes. They are a direct result of Sampson's "tough" coaching.

They were flukes with respect the timing in which they occurred. The injury stories surrounding Kelvin's practices are legendary.

badger
3/19/2007, 10:45 AM
on st. patty's day, np and i was smirking at the 13 points indy managed to score versus ucla at the half.

regardless of what he did for ou, i don't miss results like that from our teams... and i don't think the players miss it, either.

Frozen Sooner
3/19/2007, 11:07 AM
on st. patty's day, np and i was smirking at the 13 points indy managed to score versus ucla at the half.

regardless of what he did for ou, i don't miss results like that from our teams... and i don't think the players miss it, either.

Yeah, I don't miss being in the NCAA tournament either. :rolleyes:

badger
3/19/2007, 11:23 AM
ncaa tourney or not, games like that were painful to watch.

SoonerStormchaser
3/19/2007, 11:27 AM
A friggen MEN!

SteelClip49
3/19/2007, 02:42 PM
Kelvin was and always will be a jerk. A former hs classmate was on the team as a manager in 2001-2002 and Sampson would treat him and all the non-players like crap. I saw him in person at one of the RRS and said hi to him and he just frowned and walked on. The talent got him to the Final Four. His coaching is what lost to freakin Indiana who was not as good as OU yet Kelvin lost it.

fwsooner22
3/19/2007, 03:06 PM
His day is coming......They won't put up with 13 point halves in Hooiser land....KS is a bully.......not all bad just a bully..........I miss being in the tournament but I don't miss KS. I miss Billy and always will......

Collier11
3/19/2007, 03:41 PM

He was tied with a top 5 team in the country with 2 minutes to go with a trip to the sweet 16 on the line with a team that had average talent at best. I never was a big fan of sampson but to act like the guy cant coach, give me a break!!!

NormanPride
3/19/2007, 03:42 PM

See, I love going to the tourney as much as the next guy. But basketball has to ENTERTAIN me. I mean, that's why wrasslin' isn't a top-tier sport. It's not entertaining. To me, Kelvinball was not entertaining, and it made those 20 win, sweet-16 seasons less fun than they should be.

Don't get me wrong, some of those games were a lot of fun to watch, but those were few and far between for me. Capelball, by comparison, had me smiling even after 5 point losses.

crawfish
3/19/2007, 04:33 PM
I like Kelvin. Certainly, he made some mistakes - his comments on the phone situation were disappointing - but he always fielded competitive teams at OU even when he didn't have the talent.

I think both Sampson and Capel are well-placed right now. Sampson has never been a recruiter, or a player's coach - he has always had to recruit on results, and has had OU's (lack of) basketball support working against him. He would rarely have the quality and depth to get us far in the tourney. That should be entirely different at Indiana, where the coach can only be a deterrent to recruiting. I think he'll do well there when he amasses some talent.

As for Capel - he IS a player's coach. Players will be excited to come to play for him, and give the lack of support less weight. He will produce an exciting product that, while not packing the house consistently like the traditional powers do, will increase attendance quite a bit. He will be likable in a way Sampson never was. He can have a LOT of success at OU, similar to the success Donavan is having at UF (I hope).

(and then he'll leave.) ;)

Frozen Sooner
3/19/2007, 05:00 PM
See, I love going to the tourney as much as the next guy. But basketball has to ENTERTAIN me. I mean, that's why wrasslin' isn't a top-tier sport. It's not entertaining. To me, Kelvinball was not entertaining, and it made those 20 win, sweet-16 seasons less fun than they should be.

Don't get me wrong, some of those games were a lot of fun to watch, but those were few and far between for me. Capelball, by comparison, had me smiling even after 5 point losses.

You'd honestly rather OU lose pretty than win ugly?

That just leaves me shaking my head.

NormanPride
3/19/2007, 05:20 PM
You'd honestly rather OU lose pretty than win ugly?

That just leaves me shaking my head.

It's hard to describe. I don't want to lose, but I had so much fun watching this team fight that losing wasn't as bad as it was with Sampson's teams. I also think you have to define where you get your entertainment from. I love watching the Sooners move. I love seeing the different looks we give teams and the different defenses we use to stop them. I love watching them fight tooth-and-nail for every basket and every defensive stop. I don't, however, derive my happiness from postseason play or trophies. Kind of an anomaly there, I know...

badger
3/19/2007, 06:04 PM
to ks' benefit, he did come out to our relay for life my last (and his second-to-last) year at ou to thank everyone for participating. i'm sure he was there as a volunteer... so, not completely jerky and heartless, if that's what you're implying.

kellen must get his smile and personality from his mom. :D

Collier11
3/19/2007, 07:36 PM

So youd rather be entertained than go to the tourney. You realizethat Indiana led the big 10 in scoring this year,he slowed it down so much as a tactic to hang with ucla and it almost worked

SteelClip49
3/19/2007, 11:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYOgC2Qbqh4

THIS IS WHY DUKE SUCKS

AWESOME VIDEO

hurricane'bone
3/20/2007, 12:18 AM
So youd rather be entertained than go to the tourney. You realizethat Indiana led the big 10 in scoring this year,he slowed it down so much as a tactic to hang with ucla and it almost worked

heh.

Funny.

Indiana averaged about 70 PPG this year. That would be outside of the top 101 in scoring average D-1 schools.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/leaders?groupId=50&cat=teamscoring&sort=AVG

Collier11
3/20/2007, 12:29 AM
heh.

Funny.

Indiana averaged about 70 PPG this year. That would be outside of the top 101 in scoring average D-1 schools.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/leaders?groupId=50&cat=teamscoring&sort=AVG

I didnt say he led the nation did I? And you cant argue the fact that he almost took a very limited team to the sweet 16. Trust me, I never liked his style but the guy can coach!

fwsooner22
3/20/2007, 09:06 AM

You realize Ohio State is in the Big 10 and what you have written is wrong?:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

NormanPride
3/20/2007, 09:58 AM
I never said KS couldn't coach... People think that bagging on his style or calling it boring means one is criticizing the guy's ability to coach. Kelvin is an amazing coach, and can consistently get kids to play his system.

And yes, I'd rather have fun watching my team play than them go to the tournament. Not saying I won't support the team if they don't play my style of ball, just that I may not enjoy it as much. I also don't think the two are mutually exclusive, of course. ;)

Scott D
3/20/2007, 11:03 AM

have you actually watched big 10 basketball? It makes Kelvin ball look like the Phoenix Suns.

NormanPride
3/20/2007, 12:44 PM
have you actually watched big 10 basketball? It makes Kelvin ball look like the Phoenix Suns.

See? I can't watch that. It's TOO boring. I mean, I've seen Golf matches with more excitement than the UCLA/Indy game.

Scott D
3/20/2007, 07:21 PM
try living in the middle of it. Now you know why your wife headed south ;)

SteelClip49
3/21/2007, 12:36 AM
Sherri Coale would have done a better coaching job against Indiana in the 2002 national semifinal.

Kelvin will always be a mediocre coach. What a buffoon.