PDA

View Full Version : Sooner-Bad sports on HOME MAKEOVER?

stoopified
3/13/2007, 12:03 AM
I was visiting my Dad and stepmother in Lwaton last week whrn my stepmother starting talking about rhe tv show Extreme Home Makeover.Many of you may have seen .read that there was a family in Lawton that was recently awrded a home makeover.Nancy (my strpmother) was inovlved with the crew of volunteers that rebuilt the house.she helped serve meals and snacks on the site.Anyhow she proceeds to tell me that the OU FOOTBALL PLAYERS WHO CAME DOWN TO HELP WERE ASKED TO LEAVE.According to her ,they refused to put the blue Home Makeover shirts on over their jersys and were told to go home.She says that osu players then put their blue shirts on and took the OU players places.Supposedly people in Lawton are hacked off at OU over this.

I have no idea if any of this is true and was wondering if anyone else read/heard or witnessed these alleged events.I'm not going to call my stepmom a liar but she is alaways taking shots at OU and Oklahoma in general.She is from Pennsylvannia and once told me that FOOTBALL is more important in Pennsylvannia than Oklahoma.Of course I definitely don't agree with that.

MamaMia
3/13/2007, 12:30 AM
I haven't heard anything, but I do know that crimson is better than blue, and blue is better than orange. :P

Rhino
3/13/2007, 01:34 AM
Sorry, but your stepmother is a fibber. (http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&SPID=190&SPORT_TAB_SEL=01&DB_OEM_ID=300&SPSID=2475&ATCLID=801506)

http://www.nmnathletics.com.edgesuite.net/pics12/0/XF/XFBAGAINSHQNUIX.20070220042552.jpg

NORMAN, Okla. -- Sleepy college students filed into a lone bus in the early-morning darkness of the Lloyd Noble Center parking lot Sunday.

Destination: Lawton and a new home for a Sooner family.

Volunteers from the Oklahoma football and women's basketball teams accompanied by members of the spirit squads and OU Athletics Department staff headed to Comanche County to lend support to a Sooner family selected for ABC's Extreme Makeover: Home Edition.

The television show features local volunteers working together to build new homes for deserving families.

In April of 2004, Army sergeant and long-time OU fan Gene Westbrook was hit by a mortar at an American camp mess hall in Baghdad, Iraq. The attack left Westbrook paralyzed.

Then, last July, another accident shook the family. While en route to visit friends near Walters, Okla., the family van lost control, touched an oncoming vehicle, and flipped into a ditch.

The accident left the Westbrooks' nine-year-old son, James, paralyzed and caused internal injuries to their daughter, who later lost a kidney.

The day after the accident, Gene Westbrook suffered a stroke, leaving him with further damage to his right arm and some loss of memory. His wife, Peggy, had the daunting task of trying to rehabilitate both her husband and son and raising the rest of the family.

"This family has suffered not one, but two tragedies," said senior producer Conrad Ricketts. "The outpouring of support already shown by the Lawton/Fort Sill community towards the Westbrooks caught our attention. This makeover is about an American family and a community at its finest, when the heart rules."

When the program announced its intentions to assist the family, the OU Athletics Department organized volunteers from its own ranks to join the effort.

Senior defensive end Alonzo Dotson (Alief, Texas), senior safety Darien Williams (Mesquite, Texas), junior linebacker Curtis Lofton (Kingfisher), sophomore receiver Carter Whitson (Shawnee), redshirt freshman quarterback Sam Bradford (Oklahoma City) and redshirt freshman defensive tackle Gerald McCoy (Oklahoma City) represented the Sooner football team.

Sophomores Ashley and Courtney Paris (Piedmont, Calif.), fresh off a road victory at Texas Tech, joined from the women's basketball team. Members of the OU cheer and pom squads, athletics marketing and strength staffs and representatives from the OU FCA rounded out the group.

Upon arrival at the jobsite in Lawton, student-athletes assisted in loading doors and windows destined for the home while the spirit squads performed for the spectators and joined staff from the show in rallying the construction efforts.

Later in the morning, the Sooner contingent donned hardhats and manned picks and shovels in work along the foundation.

OU presented the family with basketballs signed by head coaches Jeff Capel, Sherri Coale and both teams, a football signed by head coach Bob Stoops and a signed Sooner football jersey. The Athletics Department also outfitted the family in Sooner gear.

"Just members of the Sooner family helping each other," explained senior DT Alonzo Dotson. "It's great to see Lawton -- we've had so many players from here. It was an early start this morning but today has been special."

The new home is schedule to be unveiled to the Westbrook family on Thursday. The episode will air on ABC on Sunday, April 8, at 7 p.m. http://www.nmnathletics.com.edgesuite.net/pics3/400/RL/RLKKHVKANPHQZIP.20070219165738.jpg

OUAndy1807
3/13/2007, 04:21 AM
I've heard that the family in Lawton almost didn't get the house because the mother's demeaner was such that she "wasn't likely to cry at the reveal".

Seriously.

stoopified
3/13/2007, 05:32 PM
I've heard that the family in Lawton almost didn't get the house because the mother's demeaner was such that she "wasn't likely to cry at the reveal".

Seriously.I had heard that too.The pics and articles seem to contradict my stepmother,HMM.I think what I meant to say is that I'd never call her a liar,in front of my dad.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/13/2007, 09:23 PM
Is your stepmom a poke?

BigRedJed
3/13/2007, 09:54 PM
http://www.8secondchallenge.com/soonerfans/stillwater_bob.jpg

tulsaoilerfan
3/13/2007, 10:13 PM
Since you won't do it, i will; your stepmom's a liar. YWIA:D