PDA

View Full Version : Will UT Come After Sherri?

stoopified
3/12/2007, 10:40 PM
I just saw where 900 game winner Jodi Conradt(sp?) of UT resigned.So that begs the question,will UT pursue Sherri?I wouldn't be surprised if they did but I don't think they'd get very far.I'm not saying they will but hey they did come after Calvin once,:D so anything is possible.

OKC-SLC
3/12/2007, 10:51 PM
yeah, good luck with that, texass.

soonerboomer93
3/12/2007, 10:54 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/wcbk/story/6563242

CtheB
3/12/2007, 11:26 PM
They can come callin', but I don't think SC would be answerin'. Future's too bright at OU. Got Paris for two more, and the next superstar didn't get a whole lot of PT this year. This is the transition year for OU women's hoops. I think you are going to see a lot better athlete come to Norman in the very near future.

Big Red Ron
3/13/2007, 12:37 AM
Sherri ran her out of coaching, just like Barry did DKR.

birddog
3/13/2007, 01:09 AM
sherri resurrected this program from the dead. she'll be here for quite some time. and if she does move on, it won't be in-conference.

it'll be someone big-time.

TopDaugIn2000
3/13/2007, 06:38 AM
Sherri is a Goddess here, no way she'd go to that hell hole.

poke4christ
3/13/2007, 09:43 AM
I don't see why she would go anywhere, she's got it dang good where she is.

sooner518
3/13/2007, 09:53 AM
i could see her going to some huge powerhouse like Tennessee or UConn, but no way she goes to Austin. Our team is so young and already so good. She'd have to be crazy to go to UT now

poke4christ
3/13/2007, 10:58 AM
http://www.myteespot.com/images/thumbs/t_6344_01.jpg

toast
3/13/2007, 11:08 AM
Dean Blevins says it's a 70/40 chance she goes.

TopDaugIn2000
3/13/2007, 11:09 AM
I hear Pokey is lookin for a jorb....

NormanPride
3/13/2007, 11:31 AM
Austin would be perfect for Pokey. :D

stoopified
3/13/2007, 11:49 AM
i could see her going to some huge powerhouse like Tennessee or UConn, but no way she goes to Austin. Our team is so young and already so good. She'd have to be crazy to go to UT now
For those unaware of it UT is one of THOSE traditional womrns'b-ball powers.They have been down recently but make no mistake they ARE one of the traditional powers.First clue would be Conradt having 900 career wins in 38 years,31 of which were in Austin.

Having said that I will go one step further;not only would Sherri not take the UT job if offered AND I also believe Sherri will spend her entire college coaching career at OU.She already has built OU into a program to compete with UConn,TU,UT,and has surpassed previous powers like La Tech,Old Dominion.Any move would be lateral or down IMHO.The key is that I think IF money were to become an issue,Sherri's sucess and popularity would lead donors to match ANY offer.So why would she need to go anywhere else?

Scott D
3/13/2007, 12:04 PM
I'd really push for Pokey to get that job at UT. Can you imagine how much more insane Mulkey would be having to play against a Chatman team twice a year ;)

Big Red Ron
3/13/2007, 12:28 PM
Pokey's name is a bit ironic isn't it?

:D

Scott D
3/13/2007, 03:37 PM
only if she was an assistant on a men's team ;)

stoopified
3/13/2007, 05:11 PM
Pokey's name is a bit ironic isn't it?

:Dto be truly ironic her name would have to be Lickey.BTW ,am I the only one surprised that the Horn posters are not weighing in heavily on this?

CtheB
3/13/2007, 05:27 PM
I'd really push for Pokey to get that job at UT. Can you imagine how much more insane Mulkey would be having to play against a Chatman team twice a year ;)

Please give me some background on this Chatman-Milkey dispute.

Soonerfan88
3/13/2007, 09:27 PM
For those unaware of it UT is one of THOSE traditional women's-ball powers.They have been down recently but make no mistake they ARE one of the traditional powers.First clue would be Conradt having 900 career wins in 38 years,31 of which were in Austin.

Yet their coaching icon, one of about 4 coaches who really created Women's BBall (Pat & Geno aren't in that group) was only the 3rd or 4th highest paid coach in the conference. This was a by-product of that traditional power program having one of the largest deficits in women's bball because Texans, fans & boosters, don't support women's athletics well. Until they can correct that, they won't get the big name coach they will automatically and arrogantly expect.

bluedogok
3/13/2007, 10:19 PM
According to the paper here in Austin, Mulkey is a possible replacement for Pokey at LSU and a possible consideration for UT. I have heard nothing about them going after Coale, I think even they know better than that.

Statesman.com - So who comes after Jody? (http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/longhorns/03/13/13next.html)
A potential list of candidates for Texas coaching job.
Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Coach School Overall 2007 Rnk

Gail Goestenkors Duke 394-98 30-1 1

Comment: The gold standard. Even-tempered personality, right age (44), tremendous success perfectly fit the profile. But would she leave such a good thing?

Kim Mulkey Baylor 181-52 25-7 19

Comment: Fiery, opinionated, straight-forward. Would love the job and is just 90 miles up the road. But is she too brash for Texas? Probably can go home to LSU if she wants.

Brenda Frese Maryland 168-80 27-5 6

Comment: Took Terps to national championship last season. One of youngest (35), most energetic coaches in country. Has 10 all-ACC players in 5 years. Tripled attendance at Maryland in her tenure.

Nell Fortner Auburn 66-51 17-11 NR

Comment: Only former Longhorn and Central Texas native on this list. Played for Jody Conradt from 1978-81. Has struggled at Auburn, but led U.S. National team to 101-14 record and gold medal in 2000 Olympic Games. Coached WNBA's Indiana Fever (42-56) and worked for ESPN.

Melanie Balcomb Vanderbilt 163-83 27-5 7

Comment: Wins big at school where recruiting isn't easy because of high academic standards. Up-tempo style of play is easy on the eyes. Balcomb, 44, has five straight 20-win seasons.

Joanne McCallie Michigan State 315-147 23-8 23

Comment: A lot of wins already for a 39-year-old. National coach of year in 2005, lost in championship game to Baylor. Is 80-22 over past three seasons. Has strong academic background.

Pam Borton Minnesota 180-94 16-15 NR

Comment: First coach in Big Ten history to lead a school to 25 or more wins in each of her first three seasons. Borton, 41, had streak of five straight NCAA bids snapped this year.

Tom Collen Louisville 216-69 26-7 25

Comment: Has reputation as a strong recruiter from assistant days at Arkansas. On staff with Gail Goestenkors at Purdue. Took downtrodden program at Louisville and made it C-USA power.

Joanne Boyle California 107-49 23-8 NR

Comment: Sharp, young coach quickly elevating her profile in Bay Area. A product of Duke playing and coaching tree.

Dawn Staley Temple 150-66 24-7 NR

Comment: This may be bit of reach, but former Virginia All-American guard is rapidly becoming one of hottest coaching names in game.

— From staff reports

stoopified
3/14/2007, 10:35 AM
I hope you are righ tbut stranger things have happened.How many people knew Joe C. was going after Capel as his #1 target?One,that being Joe himself.Can't help thinking if Dodd would go after Calvin,he would at least entertain the notion of going after Sherri.Maybe I'm just paranoid.

bluedogok
3/14/2007, 02:24 PM
If Sherri was a transplant and did not have the type of team that she does, then I would think it would be a very strong possibility. I could very well imagine a "third party" call to her agent to see if there was any interest, but I would also imagine they would get a "thanks, but no thanks". So if anything was done, it would be behind the scenes to avoid any publicity if they came after Coale and were turned down.

Right now, OU is a more recognized program in womens basketball than UT and gets much more national attention than UT or even Baylor. That is why I could see Mulkey moving to LSU or UT from Baylor, even though they won it in 2005, they are still behind in garnering the national attention she could get at either UT or LSU.

Crimsontothecore
3/14/2007, 03:29 PM
Agree. I think she would be drawn to a school like Tenn. for several reasons, not the least of which is the fact it's a huge arena and it sells out for every game. Besides, Sherri could pull off the whole cheerleader thing much better than Summit.;)

SicEmBaylor
3/15/2007, 03:07 AM
It's highly doubtful Mulk would go to UT unless Baylor did something that she perceived as a personal insult. She's one of those rare coaches who is EXTREMELY loyal and has said, more or less, that the LSU job is the only one she could see herself leaving Baylor for.

There's just no way that I can see her going to another Big XII school.

TopDaugIn2000
3/15/2007, 06:53 AM
There's just no way that I can see her going to another Big XII school.

no, cause she'd still get her arse kicked by Sherri on a regular basis if she stays in the Big XII

stoopified
3/16/2007, 10:40 AM
no, cause she'd still get her arse kicked by Sherri on a regular basis if she stays in the Big XIITrue dat.

Mjcpr
4/3/2007, 02:42 PM
ESPN is saying they are going to hire the Duke women's head coach.

GrapevineSooner
4/3/2007, 03:18 PM
So that answers that question.

oumartin
4/3/2007, 03:51 PM
mispoke

trwxxa
4/3/2007, 06:46 PM
Makes the Big 12 South interesting for the upcoming seasons.

Rogue
4/3/2007, 08:46 PM
ESPN is saying they are going to hire the Duke women's head coach.

ESPN was right.

trwxxa
4/4/2007, 09:16 AM
UT admitted, in a Houston Chronicle story, that GG (I'm too lazy to try and spell her last name) was the only candidate interviewed for the position. As UT prides itself on being a "bastion of diversity", I find that public admission surprising. I believe this means UT still has ZERO minority head coaches in the athletic department.

Still a good hire for them.

stoopified
4/5/2007, 02:26 PM
Good hire but Sherri woulda been better! :D