PDA

View Full Version : Dear OKC area burger enthusiasts

bri
3/12/2007, 07:27 PM
I'm about to enjoy a hot, fresh, tasty cheeseburger from Burger Street. Think maybe I'll step out on the balcony and enjoy the view of some hills and trees while I enjoy every savory bite.

Just thought I'd share. :D

usmc-sooner
3/12/2007, 07:30 PM
you know what they call a quarter cheeseburger in Amersterdam?

PrideTrombone
3/12/2007, 07:33 PM
Heh. Burger Street is some pretty good stuff. Not sure if we have a fast food equivalent here, although I'll still take Braum's bacon cheeseburger as the best for fast food.

Most of the onion burger places around here (Bunny's up in Edmond) are pretty good too, if you have some time. I'd brag on Ron's, but you have more of them than we do. :)

olevetonahill
3/12/2007, 07:39 PM
Dude I pity your poor taste buds . Im making HOME made Hamburger buns and Then Im grillin up My own mixture of beef .
Ill report Back
The Bread has been rising for an hr an 1/2 so I need to check it .:cool:

BigRedJed
3/12/2007, 07:43 PM
I'm about to enjoy a hot, fresh, tasty cheeseburger from Burger Street. Think maybe I'll step out on the balcony and enjoy the view of some hills and trees while I enjoy every savory bite.

Just thought I'd share. :D
Wow. Too bad for you. I am going to grab a fresh, tasty cheeseburger from Stumpy's, and after enjoying every savory bite, I will then take a leak into the Bricktown Canal.

sooneron
3/12/2007, 07:47 PM
YOu "hills and trees" people carck me up.

http://www.airportcommuter.com/worldwide/images/tulsa.jpg

Yep, that might as well be a picture of Denver with all them hills there. :rolleyes:

BigRedJed
3/12/2007, 07:50 PM
Heh.

olevetonahill
3/12/2007, 07:51 PM
Cant see any of that kinda shat from My shack .
In fact you cant see anything But hills and trees .;)

soonerboomer93
3/12/2007, 07:53 PM
eh, I would like to have a hamburger

however tonight, I think I will dine on fresh steamed king crab, at a fine local dining establishment, about 2 blocks from the ocean.

They're as big as you're head, and live until you order.

Price is 23,000 won a kilo (with rounding, that's $12.00 a pound)

so enjoy your burgers, bitches :D

BigRedJed
3/12/2007, 07:53 PM
BUT DO YOU HAVE HILLS AND TREES??!?!? OR A GREEN CANAL?!?

soonerboomer93
3/12/2007, 07:55 PM
actually, I have mountains and an ocean (well, they not real mountains like colorado, but they sure as **** aren't wee little hills)

olevetonahill
3/12/2007, 07:55 PM
BUT DO YOU HAVE HILLS AND TREES??!?!? OR A GREEN CANAL?!?
There aint even any Round eyed ***** where he is . :D

BigRedJed
3/12/2007, 07:58 PM
actually, I have mountains and an ocean (well, they not real mountains like colorado, but they sure as **** aren't wee little hills)
Are they as impressive as the ones looming in the background of sooneron's lovely T-town skyline pic?

BigRedJed
3/12/2007, 07:58 PM
Well, I guess you can call it a skyline.

bri
3/12/2007, 07:59 PM
Oh, I KNOW I'm not hearing skyline smack from someone from OKC. :P

BajaOklahoma
3/12/2007, 08:00 PM
PffffT! Even Dallas has Burger Streets. No biggie there.
We also have trees and slopes. Hills in south Dallas though.

soonerboomer93
3/12/2007, 08:00 PM
Are they as impressive as the ones looming in the background of sooneron's lovely T-town skyline pic?

unfortunately, they put these to shame I think

but you're welcome to compare

JohnnyMack
3/12/2007, 08:16 PM
Until OKC gets JJ's Gourmet Burgers they can grab a nice warm glass of shut the hell up.

BigRedJed
3/12/2007, 08:20 PM
Until OKC gets JJ's Gourmet Burgers they can grab a nice warm glass of shut the hell up.
Wow. Yet another person here who has obviously never tried Stumpy's.

*Sigh* I guess my work here will never be done...

soonerboomer93
3/12/2007, 08:31 PM
you can send me a stumpy's burger via dhl

otherwise, if I manage to make it for the spring game, I'll go and try it

picasso
3/12/2007, 08:40 PM
YOu "hills and trees" people carck me up.

http://www.airportcommuter.com/worldwide/images/tulsa.jpg

Yep, that might as well be a picture of Denver with all them hills there. :rolleyes:
that's facing northeast. try a different angle.

and I'll give OKC the hills and trees north and east.

we still got ya beat in that dept. sorry.:D

OUAndy1807
3/12/2007, 08:48 PM
apparently no one here has been to Irma's?

picasso
3/12/2007, 08:53 PM
tell you one place that is overrated and that's Fuddrucker's. Round Robin was ok.

BigRedJed
3/12/2007, 08:54 PM
apparently no one here has been to Irma's?
Many, many times. I'll still take Stumpy's.

1stTimeCaller
3/12/2007, 08:59 PM
is Stumpy's better than J&W?

OUAndy1807
3/12/2007, 09:20 PM
is Stumpy's better than J&W?
I'm going to say no, but I've never been to Stumpy's. I'll have to check it out.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/12/2007, 10:43 PM
I'm a VZD's fan. I need to try Stumpy's before Mickey Mantle's expands.

JohnnyMack
3/12/2007, 10:45 PM
I'm a VD fan.

I thought I told you to stay away from 1tc. No?

BigRedJed
3/12/2007, 10:46 PM
I don't know where people keep getting this "MM's is going to close Stumpy's and take over that space for more MM's dining" rumor. Stumpy's isn't going anywhere. Mickey Mantle's just uses that room occasionally to host events. Stumpy's isn't going anywhere.

BajaOklahoma
3/12/2007, 10:48 PM
Johnnie's on Britton road.
VZDs

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/12/2007, 10:48 PM
I don't know where people keep getting this "MM's is going to close Stumpy's and take over that space for more MM's dining" rumor. Stumpy's isn't going anywhere. Mickey Mantle's just uses that room occasionally to host events. Stumpy's isn't going anywhere.The rumor I heard was that it was going to be MM's smoking section, but now that's the bar.

Ok, so I'll try it soon.

BigRedJed
3/12/2007, 10:49 PM
I ate at VZD's today. I LOVE VZD's. I also really like the burgers at Johnnie's. BUT NEITHER ONE OF THEM HOLDS A CANDLE TO STUMPY'S!!

Geez, people.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/12/2007, 10:51 PM
Johnnie's has kind of gone downhill recently. Not sure what the deal is there. I had a burger at the Skirvin on Saturday, it was tasty. Their french fries are amazing.

BigRedJed
3/12/2007, 10:52 PM
The rumor I heard was that it was going to be MM's smoking section, but now that's the bar.

Ok, so I'll try it soon.
See, you debunked your own rumor. MM's spent an assload on enclosing that bar area, so that it could remain smoking. Stumpy's does good business during lunch, when MM's isn't open. They aren't making any other changes. Trust me.

Boarder
3/12/2007, 10:53 PM
Oh, like you know!

Boarder
Oh, wait.

BigRedJed
Heh.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
That's why you are the Mayor. Seriously though, try the fries at the Skirvin. They have parmesan and truffle oil on them. Of course, they aren't VZD's onion rings, but still.

BigRedJed
3/12/2007, 10:54 PM
I've already had them. They're good.

rufnek05
3/12/2007, 11:26 PM
Wow. Yet another person here who has obviously never tried Stumpy's.

*Sigh* I guess my work here will never be done...

i'd rather have a burger and onion rings from charcoal oven, Stumpy's is pretty good though

soonerboomer93
3/12/2007, 11:33 PM
:les:POSER BURGERS PWN ALL

Jimminy Crimson
3/13/2007, 12:48 AM
They have parmesan and truffle oil on them. Of course, they aren't VZD's onion rings, but still.

...and garlic.:pop:

Jimminy Crimson
3/13/2007, 12:51 AM
Irma's, Stumpy's, and VZD's all pwn Burger Street. Johnnie's is better than Burger Street.

I ate dinner with the lovely ladies from the Mizzou Golden Girls at Stumpy's this past weekend. Al fresco dining overlooking the canal with hot coeds in gold sequins. Doesn't get much better than that!

OUAndy1807
3/13/2007, 04:18 AM
is Stumpy's better than Bricktown Burgers?

BoogercountySooner
3/13/2007, 05:25 AM
I cooked Venison Burgers on the grill tonight that were rather tasty. Oh yah I have tree's and hills.

Jerk
3/13/2007, 06:12 AM
Hillbillie's Cafe' in Arcadia, OK makes an awesome burger...and they also trees and hills.

Jimminy Crimson
3/13/2007, 08:36 AM
Hillbillie's Cafe' in Arcadia, OK makes an awesome burger...and they also trees and hills.

True.

mdklatt
3/13/2007, 08:41 AM
Burger Street? Meh.

C&CDean
3/13/2007, 08:52 AM
If anybody types "Johnnies" and "good burger" in the same sentence again I'm gonna bane them. Those are **** burgers people. Geez, if you think that's "the best burger you've ever had" you probably think ketchup goes on a filet mignon.

I shy away from all the "burger" places that have good burgers - but want about $8 for one. There's a half-dozen little places I know of in the smaller towns that have great burgers for a couple bucks. Ruby's in Purcell. Conoco station at Highway 39 & 156th between Lexington and Wanette. Odell's in Asher. Southern Oklahoma Livestock Auction in Ada. And one of the best burgers you'll ever eat can be found at Kendall's in Noble. Everybody goes there for chicken fry, but the super burger (1/2 pound with cheddar & american) with the works including jalapenos cannot be topped. It's a little pricey though ($5) and if you get their killer onion rings lunch will cost you about $10, but you won't leave hungry, and you'll be going "damn, that sure was a good burger."

jk the sooner fan
3/13/2007, 09:03 AM
the wildcat cafe in cashion makes a good burger

Dio
3/13/2007, 09:16 AM
Meers.

The End.

BigRedJed
3/13/2007, 09:30 AM
YES. I've eaten at both places dozens of times, probably more.

The answer is: YES.

C&CDean
3/13/2007, 09:35 AM
Meers.

The End.

Ah yes, I forgot about Meers. Good, GOOD burgers.

BigRedJed
3/13/2007, 09:37 AM
I agree. Good, GOOD burgers in Meers. Stumpy's, OTOH, makes GREAT burgers.

C&CDean
3/13/2007, 10:06 AM
I agree. Good, GOOD burgers in Meers. Stumpy's, OTOH, makes GREAT burgers.

Dude, quit pimpin' downtown OKC. I'm gonna go up there and try one. If it isn't the religious experience you're claiming, there will be hell to pay. Hell I say.

Taxman71
3/13/2007, 10:11 AM

Apples and oranges. Stumpy's burgers are from the high quality meat carvings from Mickey Mantle's steakhouse. BB is onion fried, greasy greatness. Kinda like deciding between a filet and a ribeye.

OUDoc
3/13/2007, 10:12 AM
I like Johnnie's burgers.:(

NormanPride
3/13/2007, 10:13 AM
Imagining Dean having a "religious experience" makes me giggle.

crawfish
3/13/2007, 10:22 AM
Burger Street, meh. I'm heading out to Snuffer's.

IB4OU2
3/13/2007, 10:27 AM
I know this may be sacrilege but Big Aggies in Downtown Stillwater makes a great Burger....Now I need to wash my keyboard and hands after typing that....:O

springs sooner
3/13/2007, 10:29 AM
home made buffalo burgers. Here in Colorado we call them of course Ralphie burgers.

C&CDean
3/13/2007, 10:35 AM
I like Johnnie's burgers.:(

Oh there's several of you on this board. Somewhere along the line, y'all lost the ability to differentiate between the tastes of good and ****. Johnnie's burgers ain't terrible, but they're way below even a Braum's, and they're so far overpriced it's pathetic. And anyone with even half a brain and a set of functioning taste buds could never call one of them "great."

jk the sooner fan
3/13/2007, 10:39 AM
i go to johnnies for the o-rings

the burgers arent the greatest in the world but they arent the worst either

Taxman71
3/13/2007, 10:49 AM
I won't say Johnnie's beats everything else out there, but there ain't no way they don't crush Braum's (which I also like).

XingTheRubicon
3/13/2007, 10:52 AM
stoneleigh P

C&CDean
3/13/2007, 10:57 AM
I won't say Johnnie's beats everything else out there, but there ain't no way they don't crush Braum's (which I also like).

"crush Braum's??" Don't you mean "suck hind tit to Braum's?"

I've really tried to give Johnnie's burgers a chance. I've probably eaten there 10-15 times. Always try something different. The absolute worse was the one with the fakey crap barbecue sauce. Probably the only time in my life I couldn't even finish a hamburger.

The regular cheeseburger is OK, but they're always dry, too cold to even melt the tiny little dab of grated cheese they put on it, tasteless, and very, VERY generic. And when it costs over $20 for two people to eat a burger, onion rings and drinks it's WAY overpriced.

Mjcpr
3/13/2007, 10:59 AM
Maybe you just caught them on 10-15 bad days, Dean.

frankensooner
3/13/2007, 11:06 AM
I was always kind of partial to drugstore burgers, too bad you don't see those much anymore. Bowling alleys usually have good burgers too.

The Honey-Pepper Bacon Burger at Interurban is darn tasty. Johnnies is way over-priced, the rings are good and the hot dog is darn tasty there, but who wants to spend that kind of dough at a place that doesn't even serve beer?

I guess I will have to break down and try Stumpy's

Taxman71
3/13/2007, 11:15 AM
Braum's crushes other fast food (McDonalds, BK, Sonic, etc.), but Johnnie's bridges the gap between Braum's and the top tier.

My top tier in Oklahoma:

1. Meer's (Seismic if you are starving)
2. Papa Red's in Hollis
3. Slick's in Mangum (greasy)
4. JW's in Chickasha
5. Bricktown Burgers

Price and health have no place in a conversation about good burgers.

I must give a nod to RedRobin solely for putting a fried egg on a cheeseburger. **ducks**

BigRedJed
3/13/2007, 11:38 AM
Dude, quit pimpin' downtown OKC. I'm gonna go up there and try one. If it isn't the religious experience you're claiming, there will be hell to pay. Hell I say.
Dude, I hardly just pimp downtown. I pimp my favorite food, wherever it is. Just so happens that the best steak in Oklahoma, in my experience, and the best burger in town, in my experience, are both served within 50' of each other, and within a few steps of my office. Lucky me.

And, I never said Stumpy's burgers are a religious experience. I said they are great burgers. The best I've had in Oklahoma, in fact. If you want religious experience, have the roquefort filet at Mickey Mantle's. Throw in a fried pickle chips starter, some lobster bisque, mushroom risotto and the best creme brulée in town, and you'll be speaking in tongues. For those of you in Dallas or Houston, MM's is part of the Kirby's family, if that helps.

One of the reasons Stumpy's has great hamburgers is because their ground beef is made from the trimmings of Mickey Mantle's steaks. It's not bargain beef in a bag.

Dean, let me know when you're coming up to try Stumpy's, and I'll meet you there. And I'll buy, since we all know your stance on burgers that cost more than $2.50.

JohnnyMack
3/13/2007, 11:42 AM
If you want religious experience, have the roquefort filet at Mickey Mantle's.

Your admission that you eat steaks with anything other than dead cow and a plate completely invalidates your opinion.

BigRedJed
3/13/2007, 11:54 AM
Your admission that you eat steaks with anything other than dead cow and a plate completely invalidates your opinion.
Yet another person who obviously has never had the roquefort filet at Mickey Mantle's. That alone completely invalidates your opinion.

Unlike most of the people who post in these threads all know-it-all, saying "Boulevard is the best steakhouse," or "Johnnie's is the best hamburger," I generally have tried most of the usual suspects. And generally, when people are making said posts, they HAVEN'T tried the places I'm pimping.

I add the "in my experience" disclaimer on steaks because I have yet to try Mahogony. The management team at Mickey Mantle's thinks pretty highly of Mahogony's steaks, so that has me motivated to get up there.

frankensooner
3/13/2007, 12:23 PM
We have some friends that have more dollars than sense and they dropped three bills on two people to eat at Mahogony's. They got surf and turf and a bottle of wine, but hey, that is a lot of change for a place on Memorial.

JohnnyMack
3/13/2007, 12:52 PM
Yet another person who obviously has never had the roquefort filet at Mickey Mantle's. That alone completely invalidates your opinion.

Unlike most of the people who post in these threads all know-it-all, saying "Boulevard is the best steakhouse," or "Johnnie's is the best hamburger," I generally have tried most of the usual suspects. And generally, when people are making said posts, they HAVEN'T tried the places I'm pimping.

I add the "in my experience" disclaimer on steaks because I have yet to try Mahogony. The management team at Mickey Mantle's thinks pretty highly of Mahogony's steaks, so that has me motivated to get up there.

I will say that the bone-in ribeye at Mahogany is in my top five steaks of all-time. Along with the filet at Prime in the Bellagio and the ribeye at the Ruth's Chris in Baltimore.

MamaMia
3/13/2007, 01:02 PM
Wow. Too bad for you. I am going to grab a fresh, tasty cheeseburger from Stumpy's, and after enjoying every savory bite, I will then take a leak into the Bricktown Canal.Yum! We were trying to think of a place at Bricktown to take the kids after the Spring game. Everyone loves burgers. Thank you for the recommendation. :D

C&CDean
3/13/2007, 01:04 PM
I've been to Mantle's several times. Charlene and the Smoking Section used to do a Friday/Saturday night gig in the bar. I've eaten the blue cheese steak (only fags/french say roquefort) a couple times - with extra pepper. Good eats. I also had one of the worse steaks ever there - big strip of gristle so tough right down the middle of it you could barely cut it with a knife. Ended up getting dinner, dessert, and the bottle of wine gratis after bitching to the waitress (who was completely inept) and finally getting the manager - to whom I bitched about the steak AND the waitress. He was mega-embarrassed. He took care of us real well. I'll go back.

MamaMia
3/13/2007, 01:08 PM
I was always kind of partial to drugstore burgers, too bad you don't see those much anymore. Bowling alleys usually have good burgers too.

The Honey-Pepper Bacon Burger at Interurban is darn tasty. Johnnies is way over-priced, the rings are good and the hot dog is darn tasty there, but who wants to spend that kind of dough at a place that doesn't even serve beer?

I guess I will have to break down and try Stumpy's
Nichols Hills drug store makes a nice burger. :)

BigRedJed
3/13/2007, 01:35 PM
Nichols Hills drug store makes a nice burger. :)
I agree.

BigRedJed
3/13/2007, 01:37 PM
...only fags/french say roquefort...
I disagree.

That's what's on the menu, that's what they call it, so that's what ima call it. Who am I to dispute the mouthgasm greatness that is Mickey Mantle's roquefort filet.

BigRedJed
3/13/2007, 01:44 PM
...I also had one of the worse steaks ever there... ...Ended up getting dinner, dessert, and the bottle of wine gratis after bitching to the waitress... ...the manager... ...was mega-embarrassed. He took care of us real well. I'll go back.
Like I've said before, everyone has a bad day. Hell, I've had a less-than-spectacular meal at MM's. On New Year's Eve, so I cut them some slack. And they made it right. I think that's the important thing. They pride themselves on quality and service more than most places, and will seriously take care of you if you don't have a good experience.

I never judge a place on one go-round, unless it's awful, and on top of that they don't care. I had a horrible experience and bad food the first time I went to Boulevard, but gave them another chance. The next time, it was quite good. The next time, meh, and the time after that, horrible. To top it off, they try to pass themselves off as a really pretentious fine-dining experience. I don't mind paying a LOT for a great steak (see my love for MM's), but if they put more thought into the decor than the menu, I'll pass. So there's an example of a place I've givern up on.

BigRedJed
3/13/2007, 01:46 PM
I'm eating a Stumpy's burger as I post this, and today it's only good. Like I said, everyone has an off day. I try to be objective.

Boarder
3/13/2007, 02:03 PM
I never judge a place on one go-round, unless it's awful,

For example, Cattlemans. I can't bring myself to go back.

El Chico always gets me once every 18 months or so. I'll go to the mall and think, "Man, it smells good. Maybe they're better now. Still busy in there. We'll give it a try." And, of course I've been wrong. And stupidly I keep doing it. I may quit, now.

Taxman71
3/13/2007, 02:34 PM
For me, Applebee's. Stopped there for the first and onl time in Kokomo, IN after OU lost to Notre Dame in 1999. Horrible, horrible food. Since then, I can't bring myself to eat at one, even in Oklahoma.