PDA

View Full Version : Spring Practice and Scrimmages!

Collier11
3/12/2007, 05:29 PM
I would like to keep a running thread with new (FACTUAL) info that anyone as seen or heard about this spring. If one of the mods wants to change the format go for it, but please keep the rumors out! Only actual events that you saw or were told first hand by a coach or other!

Collier11
3/12/2007, 05:37 PM
Up to this point, this is what I have been reading/hearing from those in the know!

qb's are duking it out, and it is very competitive!! Looks like no one is going to be seperated going into this summer barring bad scrimmages.

Rb Allen Patrick is looking awesome, as is Demarco Murray. Apparently Murray has put on some weight and is very shifty and explosive.

wr Tennel has looked really good, but no one has really stood out too much from what I can come up with.

Te Joe Jon is in amazing shape, having a great camp. Eldridge is lighting people up.

OL Big Phil is a superstar in the making, Duke is really working hard and getting better. Fierce competitions at the other positions.

DL Apparently some think that Auston English could be the next Dan Cody! Granger busted his arse this winter and looks dominant!

LB Reed is getting into shape finally and Reynolds is all the way back from the injury, looking really good! Lofton and Pleasant are playing well.

DB Walker is having his best practices of his career, and Reggie is looking lock down! Lendy is a playmaker, and DJ is not out of it by any means! Quinton Carter is really looking good at safety along with Franks! Nic Harris is becoming a impact player big time. Brian jackson is looking pretty good at safety!

snp
3/12/2007, 06:34 PM
Scrimmage on Wednesday around 4ish.

I plan on hitting that up soon as my 3pm class gets out. Anyone else going?

AzianSooner
3/12/2007, 09:08 PM
I have read somewhere the Bob really likes the scrimmage and it is exactly the same thing he said last year.

BUT...... this year BOB dis mentioned that he want to see guys to be better in practice hmmm.... Bob is planing something big this year.

goingoneight
3/12/2007, 09:19 PM
James Hale and Kevin Wilson have both said the practice sessions will feature a lot of passing plays, and they may operate primarily out of the gun like we did in early Stoops years. This makes sense for the QB's to get used to chucking the ball. Having guys like Jermaine Gresham and Malcom Kelly out for the Spring sucks because of the injuries they suffered, but it will help the guys get better at throwing the ball. Everyone knows MK has a tendency to make impossible catches when the ball is thrown wayyyyy off target, so maybe the accuracy will improve this way for OUr guys.

My only question, is what happens when you work primarily out of the gun-- to Chris Brown, AP and Madu, who are power-runners? Seems like Gute and Murray will benefit the most from these reps, but oh well. We're Oklahoma, I'd rather practice throwing the ball correctly, cuz we'll have a deadly running game as usual.

snp
3/12/2007, 10:07 PM
Madu is really shifty as well. Some believe he may end up switching to CB with the stable of RBs that are on campus and on the way.

OK2U
3/12/2007, 10:58 PM
From what I've heard, Madu and Murray have been slipping out to the slot and working on a lot of screen pass scenarios.
AP and CB seem to be the power runners, with AP being the more downhill of the two.
Not sure 'bout Gute. But I'm sure can hide behind the line/blockers like Q used to.

usmc-sooner
3/12/2007, 11:12 PM
Up to this point, this is what I have been reading/hearing from those in the know!

qb's are duking it out, and it is very competitive!! Looks like no one is going to be seperated going into this summer barring bad scrimmages.

Rb Allen Patrick is looking awesome, as is Demarco Murray. Apparently Murray has put on some weight and is very shifty and explosive.

wr Tennel has looked really good, but no one has really stood out too much from what I can come up with.

Te Joe Jon is in amazing shape, having a great camp. Eldridge is lighting people up.

OL Big Phil is a superstar in the making, Duke is really working hard and getting better. Fierce competitions at the other positions.

DL Apparently some think that Auston English could be the next Dan Cody! Granger busted his arse this winter and looks dominant!

LB Reed is getting into shape finally and Reynolds is all the way back from the injury, looking really good! Lofton and Pleasant are playing well.

DB Walker is having his best practices of his career, and Reggie is looking lock down! Lendy is a playmaker, and DJ is not out of it by any means! Quinton Carter is really looking good at safety along with Franks! Nic Harris is becoming a impact player big time. Brian jackson is looking pretty good at safety!

so maybe 22 All Americans? Is your name James Hale. :D :D

Collier11
3/12/2007, 11:46 PM
Not sure exactly what you mean by that?? If you are pertaining to the info I have, I got most of it from James off of the radio. Thats why I said "Only actual events that you saw or were told first hand by a coach or other!"

usmc-sooner
3/13/2007, 12:07 AM
Not sure exactly what you mean by that?? If you are pertaining to the info I have, I got most of it from James off of the radio. Thats why I said "Only actual events that you saw or were told first hand by a coach or other!"

I was just joking around, but it did sound like typical James Hale or Robert Allen type of report. You know we got everyone we want, everyone's doing great. etc. no big deal. You shouldn't let me get to you, if so you take me too serious.

Collier11
3/13/2007, 12:30 AM
I didnt take it like you were attacking me, I just didnt get what you were saying. It was the whole thing of being on a board and I cant tell if you are being sarcastic wink wink nod nod, or if you were just saying something that I didnt understand! No harm done

snp
3/13/2007, 02:53 AM
James Hale is quite the sunshine pumper, like how your op was a little bit.

I can add that Murray and Tennel both tore it up in practice today.

CincySooner
3/13/2007, 09:19 AM
well, I dunno anything other than what I read on soonersports, but I like hearing Stoops say things like.

--------------------------
“The offense took good care of the ball today and I was really happy to see that." (practice #3)

and

"I continue to be pleased with the way our offensive players are taking care of the ball...We have been able to keep mistakes to a minimum and that is encouraging to us as a staff." (practice #4)

especially in light of how turnovers killed them last year.

OU-HSV
3/13/2007, 09:24 AM
James Hale is quite the sunshine pumper, like how your op was a little bit.

I can add that Murray and Tennel both tore it up in practice today.
I thought so too. Murray had one play were he juked left so hard the DB fell on his ***.

nolesooner1984
3/13/2007, 11:33 AM
While James maybe a sunshine pumper, he is only saying things that are told to him by the OU coaching staff. The thing is, all of these players that we have are very talented. They may show up and be dominant in practice but they get out on the field and don't know. Much like Keenan Clayton last year. We kept hearing about this kid being the biggest hitter in the secondary and he whiffed on the biggest play and lost his job. It is up to the kids to make the plays but they are as gifted and as good as being reported. You just can't ever tell how that work is going to relate on "in game" situations.

Collier11
3/13/2007, 12:28 PM
All we have to base off of until the season starts is personal opinion and sunshine pumpers...but it is still nice to hear any credible updates whether it be through coach stoops, an insider such as James Hale, or someone who is close to a coach or player...It is only March so I will take what I can get

Collier11
3/13/2007, 12:31 PM
Also, while my 2nd post did include alot of SP'ing, I also included stuff that I had heard in regards to players gaining and losing weight, coming back from injury, and the such...so there is some basic important info in there as well

toast
3/13/2007, 12:38 PM
don't sweat it Collier, a little sunshine pumping never hurt anyone. However, when I find myself getting too pumped about spring reports and performances I just remember the name Jerad Estus.

Collier11
3/13/2007, 01:33 PM
no doubt! I forgot about that cat...damn I wish he coulda panned out

Landthief 1972
3/13/2007, 02:30 PM
After all the sunshine pumping by Stoops and Co. the last two years, you'll have to forgive me if I reserve judgement until say, after the first game of August (or is it September?) 2007.

Collier11
3/13/2007, 02:41 PM
Yea, I would hate to win another Big 12 title this year!!!

snp
3/13/2007, 03:52 PM
After all the sunshine pumping by Stoops and Co. the last two years, you'll have to forgive me if I reserve judgement until say, after the first game of August (or is it September?) 2007.

What do you expect a coach at this school, with the elite athletes he has, to say?

Seamus
3/13/2007, 05:08 PM
Yea, I would hate to win another Big 12 title this year!!!

Heh.

usmc-sooner
3/13/2007, 05:47 PM
I got no problem with the coaches sp'ing what else are they going to do? It's either SP, coach speak, or negative. I'm just saying I take the James Hale stuff with a grain of salt. Sometimes his dead on, sometimes he's off. He's human.

Collier11
3/14/2007, 05:38 PM
was not at the scrimmage due to work but i talked to a guy that said Demarco Murray is jaw-dropping good!!! Does anyone who was there have any news about what they saw that impressed or dissapointed them?

MojoRisen
3/14/2007, 05:53 PM
Yes any updates? Murray was supposed to be the next Reggie Bush for sure with his all purpose skills and make you miss ability!

usmc-sooner
3/14/2007, 05:59 PM
Yes any updates? Murray was supposed to be the next Reggie Bush for sure with his all purpose skills and make you miss ability!

He's bigger than Bush (size) I guess because of AP, and Brown they are trying him a slot.

BOOMERBRADLEY
3/14/2007, 06:00 PM
From the Scout board...

-DM ripped off a 50 or 60 yard TD run
-DM catches a pass for 30+ yards
-Defense looks average at best (im hoping offense is just that good)
-Sam Bradford and Joey Halzle are almost even at QB (some think Halzle is better but Bradford will probably start based on upside)
-Keith Nichol had some nice QB scrambles
-Adron Tennel is amazing and looking to be the #2 reciever
-O line looks fantastic
-DM will be on the field early and often

MojoRisen
3/14/2007, 06:23 PM
That sounds Bush like for DM - play him

CatfishSooner
3/14/2007, 06:24 PM
I didn't think Bradford looked that good, with Halzle looking better.

Our offensive line is HUGE! Loadholt is a fk'n load!

DM is the real deal..

Nichol looked pretty good and can definitely feel pressure and get away from it.

Octavian
3/14/2007, 06:47 PM
I didn't think Bradford looked that good, with Halzle looking better.

Our offensive line is HUGE! Loadholt is a fk'n load!

DM is the real deal..

Nichol looked pretty good and can definitely feel pressure and get away from it.

agreed.

We used Murray in a lot of different formations. First play from scrimmage he ripped off a 65 yarder and outran Lendy down the East sideline for 6....also caught a couple passes, one over the middle for about 15-20 yards. He looks like he will help a lot

If the season started tomorrow, I bet we'd start Nichol. He wasn't head and shoulders above the other two but he's more crisp with his release. He avoided pressure several times without being touched (blue jerseys) and made yards....he's elusive. He made a great 7 yard TD pass near the end. He's got some extra zip on his passes the other two dont seem to have. I actually thought Halzle looked better than Bradford too. Just my .02....it's early. But all in all, our quarterback situation looks much further along than it did at this point in 2005.

Didn't play on O: Malcolm, AP, Gresham....that'll of course make a huge difference.

Hartley kicked a 60 yarder and I believe only missed once all day.

The OLine is noticeably BIGGER. Had some tough going against our DL and LBs in the short yardage situations, but I think they'll be a step up from last year.

I left feeling better than when I walked in. Not so the last time I did this in '05.

MojoRisen
3/14/2007, 06:59 PM
Nichol -?? I remember the Texas game when White came in for Hyble it was his scramble ability that finally started moving the ball and breaking down the defense- all the Texas fans were like who is this White kid- loved it and a bunch of the woman and men were crying after the game.

If you can throw and scramble - it helps against top D's... I am sure he has a lot of plays to learn etc.

william_brasky
3/14/2007, 07:03 PM
Is Nichol reminding people of JW pre-knee surgeries?

BOOMERBRADLEY
3/14/2007, 07:47 PM
http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&SPID=190&SPORT_TAB_SEL=01&DB_OEM_ID=300&SPSID=2475&ATCLID=827104

MojoRisen
3/14/2007, 07:58 PM
Nice!

I didn't notice any rushing stats for the QB's, whoever threw the oskie for the touchdown I am sure regrets it... Reading up on Kevin Wilson he says "the starting QB will not be the one with the most completions or best stats but the one who doesn't give the ball the other team and get's it where it is supposed to be and sometimes that is incomplete. "

Octavian
3/14/2007, 08:48 PM
DJ got the pick-6 off Bradford

colleyvillesooner
3/14/2007, 08:50 PM
http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&SPID=190&SPORT_TAB_SEL=01&DB_OEM_ID=300&SPSID=2475&ATCLID=827104

From that:

For OU head coach Bob Stoops, Murray’s performance was one of the few bright spots. Stoops said the enthusiasm that had been present through some of the early spring drills was largely absent in the scrimmage.

“I didn’t expect the execution to be there, but I wasn’t pleased with our lack of overall intensity,” he said. “I’m not very happy.”

One thing Stoops did like was the play of his three quarterbacks, a trio that is vying for the starting job. “The quarterbacks did a lot of good things,” Stoops said, while not singling out a particular player. “They’re working together as a unit and have a great attitude together.”

OU-HSV
3/14/2007, 09:31 PM
It's good to know that each day it seems DM is living up to the hype. Man I can't wait to see this dude play vs. opponents this Fall!

william_brasky
3/14/2007, 09:42 PM
sounds like McCoy is coming along as hoped and expected. that's good.

we struggled up front defensively last year a bit.

MojoRisen
3/14/2007, 10:11 PM
I believe he will be doubled freeing up the others "Bennet 2 sacks" and our DE's can contain and be decent. I bet they will eventually be better than decent and good. I would expect granger and or McCoy/Bennet to have a huge year-

We really didn't do super well in disruption at DL position last year- ie. Dusty, Harris types. Granger showed serious flashes

Seemed like too me Harris's best statistical/big play years were his Freshman & Soph years when nobody gave him respect. I could be wrong -

goingoneight
3/14/2007, 10:34 PM
I for one, hope whoever plays QB this fall, throws 50 or more passes against North Texas just to get in the swing of things. I know it won't happen though. :(

Collier11
3/15/2007, 12:01 AM
Key stat to me is interceptions Bradford-1 Halzle- 2 Nichol- 0

goingoneight
3/15/2007, 12:52 AM
Interceptions happen, though... especially against Nic Harris, Reggie Smith, Lendy Homes... you get the point.

Nichol may look cool in the ss.com videos, but he's no different than Jevan Snead, Mitch Mustain or Tim Tebow for that matter. Asking him to jump into the college speed game and direct an offense with championship goals in mind is asking for trouble. The only way true freshmen win at QB is by the support of their surrounding cast, even Hollieway admitted to that one. Just sayin' it's a two-man competition come fall in my books. Nichol won't be involved in the starting battle until Halzle graduates, IMHO.

Not ripping you, dood. :)

illinisooner
3/15/2007, 01:00 AM
As far as the QB's went, I thought they all played fairly well. Halzle tends to lock on one reciever, making it pretty easy for the D to see where he's throwing it (He did this in scrimmage and drills). Bradford was pretty solid, looked a little too comfy in the pocket sometimes, and decided to throw a fade into double coverage instead of checking down (It was a goal line situation). Nichol wasn't bad, the only concern I have with him is that with his release point and height, alot of balls get tipped at the line. But all in all, not that bad of a performance by the guys.

The o-line played fairly well, but the d-line had it's moments and neither was that dominating. Except for The Load, of course. It should be noted that when we tried to Chuck Long run it up the middle, nothing positive ever happened. Except for the defense. Reed looked a little slow, and Reynolds stuck someone pretty good up the middle. I'll give DJ credit on his picks, but unfortunately for Norman residents, this means he will be riding a wave of confidence and will drive around in his "GIFTED" green and black car while hitting on girls at Sonic. I wish I made these things up!

Collier11
3/15/2007, 01:15 AM
Interceptions happen, though... especially against Nic Harris, Reggie Smith, Lendy Homes... you get the point.

Nichol may look cool in the ss.com videos, but he's no different than Jevan Snead, Mitch Mustain or Tim Tebow for that matter. Asking him to jump into the college speed game and direct an offense with championship goals in mind is asking for trouble. The only way true freshmen win at QB is by the support of their surrounding cast, even Hollieway admitted to that one. Just sayin' it's a two-man competition come fall in my books. Nichol won't be involved in the starting battle until Halzle graduates, IMHO.

Not ripping you, dood. :)

Mistakes will be made but I think the coaches are going to pick the qb that has the least mistakes through the spring and summer. Hypothetically, if qbA has 4 picks, qbB has 5 picks, and qb C has 1 pick through 3 spring scrimmages, I will bet alot of money that qbC will be the guy unless he only threw 10 passes! IMO I think it is between bradford and nichol, I honestly dont think halzle has a shot but I could be wrong, ive been known to be wrong before!

Collier11
3/15/2007, 01:29 AM
By the way, I just watched some of the video from the scrimmage and here are a few things I saw:
Murray is fast! Probably a little more powerful than I thought
Nichol does throw at a wierd angle but he has some zip on the ball and is very accurate
Thought Halzle looked too predictable, would love to hear some more opinions on what those who were there saw other than those who have already spoken
We didnt drop many passes that I saw, which was a big problem last year

william_brasky
3/15/2007, 02:04 AM
anybody watch the O-line vs D-line highlights? good stuff.

the kid acting as QB probably needed to change his underpants after those drills.

Shneeg11
3/15/2007, 05:44 AM
One of the reasons Bradford probably felt mor comfortable throwing the fade, is because in high school, he had Kenny Brown (who will likely be aTm starting safety next year) and he was 6'5 200 and something pounds, and because of that, he had a huge advantage over db's and thats what we ran in goal line situation, i will not say any qb was outstanding, but bradford and nichol will be in it for the starting job, in my opinion, joey telegraphs his passes, and looks hesitant, you could tell bradford looked much more comfortable towards the end

TripleOption14
3/15/2007, 05:52 AM
I'll give DJ credit on his picks, but unfortunately for Norman residents, this means he will be riding a wave of confidence and will drive around in his "GIFTED" green and black car while hitting on girls at Sonic. I wish I made these things up!

Stick with the football talk bro. What the guy does off the field is none of our business.

NormanPride
3/15/2007, 10:21 AM
Oh man, Nichol's accurate, but his fakes are TERRIBLE. Remember how good Paul's were? You can tell KN's just waiting to throw the ball. :(

illinisooner
3/15/2007, 10:25 AM
Didn't notice it at the time, but in the DO today, Murray said Nichol lined up behind the guard on his first play in the scrimmage.

MojoRisen
3/15/2007, 10:45 AM
It was a fumble roosky/then audible- Stoops is taking heat for being too conservative now that we have dominant talent.

soonerlaw
3/15/2007, 11:15 AM
All this chatter is making me reminiscent for football season..... damn march madness and summer.

StuIsTheMan
3/15/2007, 12:23 PM
http://www.normantranscript.com/sports/local_story_074020432.html

this article is not as favorable...but still intresting

bixby28
3/15/2007, 05:30 PM
anybody watch the O-line vs D-line highlights? good stuff.

the kid acting as QB probably needed to change his underpants after those drills.

Speaking of D-line highlights, can anyone let me know how the defense looked yesterday during the scrimmage ?

goingoneight
3/15/2007, 10:42 PM
Speaking of D-line highlights, can anyone let me know how the defense looked yesterday during the scrimmage ?

They looked like they could really use nameplates on their jerseys... :D

j/k... secondary looks good, but we expected that. Stoops is kinda ****ed at the lack of consistency at DL & LB, though. One minute they make a RRRUUUUUUUU caliber hit, the next they let the OL demolish them (missed tackles and falling over themselves). I was glad to see Stoops actually say, and I quote "sloppy tackling." That's been a bug we've suffered from for three straight years now. Hopefully that means they're taking care of it.

bixby28
3/15/2007, 10:48 PM
Thanks, goingoneight.

I heard the Monday mini-scrimmage went well, from what Stoops mentioned on Soonersports.com. Maybe the team was just a little deflated on Wednesday afternoon.

NormanPride
3/16/2007, 09:44 AM
The DTs are solid, but not playmakers. We don't know jack about the DEs since all the starters were out for the first scrimmage. The LBs are talented, but raw. The DBs are studs. The Safeties are disappointing so far. We're rotating everyone we can back there, which means the coaches don't think we have anyone that can play Safety well. :(

Remembering Tom Stidham
3/16/2007, 11:14 AM
Can Nichol start and win? I have told this story before but it is worth repeating. Shortly after Tom Osborne had open-heart surgery, we shared breakfast in Dallas. I was eating well while he swallowed a bunch of pills. The subject turned too Cale Gundy who would be starting at QB as a freshman. "A freshman will never beat you." I understood Tom's meaning. But Tom's QB was injured in the first half and Gundy had a great day. OU won.

Don't give up on Nichol even if he is ONLY 17.

Collier11
3/16/2007, 11:41 AM
the age thing doesnt matter so much as the maturity, poise under pressure, and ability to not mistakes and force stuff!!!

william_brasky
3/16/2007, 11:49 AM
Shortly after Tom Osborne had open-heart surgery, we shared breakfast in Dallas.

you ate from the same plate? that's somewhat intimate.

MojoRisen
3/16/2007, 12:17 PM
I was glad to see Stoops actually say, and I quote "sloppy tackling." That's been a bug we've suffered from for three straight years now. Hopefully that means they're taking care of it.[/QUOTE]

To be realistic with all the speed these days as being a priority- most of these guys only have so much experience actually hitting and tackling- it takes a mantality and sometimes can just click in practice and everyone realizes what is expected.

Defensive mantality is not something that can be just emphasized you need to have the mantality to want to and take pride in hitting and demolishing the other player in a legitimate way. :)

Collier11
3/16/2007, 12:47 PM
what is mantality??? is that a sexual reference?

setem
3/16/2007, 01:02 PM
What about the Big Red Rally?

MojoRisen
3/16/2007, 02:39 PM

Yep- instead of Jack you up-it is sex you up by the gay band in the early 90s.

I guess I will go ahead and download google spell check-

StuIsTheMan
3/16/2007, 03:05 PM

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/5904/feb14gal06qj2.jpg (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/)

yeah this guy is full of Mantality...

Collier11
3/16/2007, 03:10 PM
http://imgcash2.imageshack.us/img259/5904/feb14gal06qj2.th.jpg (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/)

yeah this guy is full of Mantality...

That is disgusting!!!

OU-HSV
3/17/2007, 08:05 AM
:pop:

Spekola

Common sense ref
3/17/2007, 08:12 AM

Amen to that!:(

lcaldwell1
3/17/2007, 02:18 PM
ANYONE THINK IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA TO RUN SOME STUFF SIMILAR TO THE WAY ARKANSAS DID LAST YEAR WITH MCFADDEN....JUST TO TAKE PRESSURE OFF OF THE QUARTERBACKS A BIT...I MEAN I DONT WANT TO DO IT ALL THE TIME JUST MIX IT IN A LITTLE....BECAUSE THEY WERE PRETTY GOOD AND HAD TERRIBLE PLAY AT QUARTERBACK AND STILL WON GAMES?

swardboy
3/17/2007, 05:38 PM
STOP YELLING!

....and yes, I could see a back or two of OUrs taking a direct snap once in a great while.

TripleOption14
3/17/2007, 05:41 PM
ANYONE THINK IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA TO RUN SOME STUFF SIMILAR TO THE WAY ARKANSAS DID LAST YEAR WITH MCFADDEN....JUST TO TAKE PRESSURE OFF OF THE QUARTERBACKS A BIT...I MEAN I DONT WANT TO DO IT ALL THE TIME JUST MIX IT IN A LITTLE....BECAUSE THEY WERE PRETTY GOOD AND HAD TERRIBLE PLAY AT QUARTERBACK AND STILL WON GAMES?

I'm anxious to see whats gonna happen when teams start gaming planning McFadden like they did AD. Then we'll see what he can do. When D's start running the 10-1 like they did on AD we'll get to see what McFadden is all about.

SoonerRoads
3/18/2007, 10:27 AM
Key stat to me is interceptions Bradford-1 Halzle- 2 Nichol- 0

Just watched videos of the QB's in action and while all looked fairly good, I was absolutely knocked out by one thing........the quick release of Keith Nichol and he has "great footwork". I watched the videos over and over and I was just very impressed with his athleticism and how quickly he got rid of the ball. And did I actually see him "looking off" DB's? I don;t know who the coaches will choose to start, but I believe that this kid is a potential superstar in the making if his first Spring practice is any indicator.

And isn't it interesting that Bob has closed practices to the public? Is that just a refocusing of the team because we got beat in our bowl game or is it because he thinks he has something hot that he doesn't want anyone to see?

We should be loaded for bear next year with an expereinced, though still somewhat young, offensive line....the backs all look great.......defense looks like it is going to be tough.......man oh man.......am I ever looking forward to the season!

Just my take.

SoonerRoads
3/18/2007, 10:31 AM
I'm anxious to see whats gonna happen when teams start gaming planning McFadden like they did AD. Then we'll see what he can do. When D's start running the 10-1 like they did on AD we'll get to see what McFadden is all about.

The reason they won those games has now left for Tulsa. Plus, though the QB play was not outstanding, the one Parade AA QB they ran off, won 8 of those 10 games for them. We could embrace what they call "The Wildcat" and we may to some extent, but what made that less predictable was the fact that McFadden played QB in high school, NOT TB. He had the ability to throw the ball. Do we have anyone at TB who could od that with any degree of predictability and accuracy? That is the key to the success of that particular formation.

Just my take.

Arrowhead
3/18/2007, 12:14 PM
Just watched videos of the QB's in action and while all looked fairly good, I was absolutely knocked out by one thing........the quick release of Keith Nichol and he has "great footwork". I watched the videos over and over and I was just very impressed with his athleticism and how quickly he got rid of the ball. And did I actually see him "looking off" DB's? I don;t know who the coaches will choose to start, but I believe that this kid is a potential superstar in the making if his first Spring practice is any indicator.

Just my take.

I've watched this kid for a number of years and you pretty much nailed it. The thing that hasn't been mentioned much is his running ability. That adds another dimension for the defense to take into account when he's behind center. Superstar is a long ways off for him but if as a teenager, he has the mental maturity to be a leader of men, he'll be a welcome addition this season.

Collier11
3/18/2007, 12:51 PM
Two things:
About Nichol, I love the way the kid plays. He has a laser for an arm and he has a very quick and accurate release, obviously he is playing with a scaled down playbook but I like what I see so far. It would be my personal preference for him or bradford to win the job just because I dont want to have to start all over next year again at that position.
My second thought goes along with the arkansas/mcfadden discussion earlier in the thread. If you look at mitch mustain, he was 8-0 with that offense as a true freshman with average stats and a good but not great D. If we can get average stats from our qb(something like 57-60% completion and something like 15tds and 10 ints with our D, we will be in the natl title hunt for sure. Obviously I would love for whatever qb we have to come in and have 25tds and 6ints, but just average or above average will win most of our games easily because of our D and running game!

william_brasky
3/18/2007, 12:56 PM
According to Stoops our D sucks.

colleyvillesooner
3/18/2007, 01:32 PM
Two things:
About Nichol, I love the way the kid plays. He has a laser for an arm and he has a very quick and accurate release, obviously he is playing with a scaled down playbook but I like what I see so far. It would be my personal preference for him or bradford to win the job just because I dont want to have to start all over next year again at that position.

If Halzle won the job and did good, he would start in 08 as well most likely. He was a JUCO transfer, but only played one year at his JUCo. His entering his Junior year.

Collier11
3/18/2007, 03:57 PM
gotcha!!!

setem
3/18/2007, 05:20 PM
What about the Big Red Rally?

goingoneight
3/18/2007, 07:01 PM
Two things:
My second thought goes along with the arkansas/mcfadden discussion earlier in the thread. If you look at mitch mustain, he was 8-0 with that offense as a true freshman with average stats and a good but not great D. If we can get average stats from our qb(something like 57-60% completion and something like 15tds and 10 ints with our D, we will be in the natl title hunt for sure. Obviously I would love for whatever qb we have to come in and have 25tds and 6ints, but just average or above average will win most of our games easily because of our D and running game!

I really wish the media and such would stop talking about Mustain just because of his record as the starter. Utah State? Louisiana Monroe? Overrated as always AUburn? You saw what happened to Arkansas in 2006. over the course of every game he played in, all he had was 894 passing yards? To me, if you have 894 passing yards, you better damn well only have like... one INT. Mustain = 9 INT.

Arkansas won those eight games because of their 1-2 McFadden/Jones punch, and a great defensive effort.