PDA

View Full Version : Anyone see 300???

Collier11
3/12/2007, 03:10 PM
I am by no means a movie expert, but let me just say that this movie is absolutely amazing! From the amazing cgi to the story line to the incredible soundtrack, I loved it! Those spartans was sum bad dudes, let me tell ya!!! IMHO that is the best movie I have seen in atleast 5 years!

Fugue
3/12/2007, 03:14 PM
were there hills and trees by teh theater? :texan:

yermom
3/12/2007, 03:20 PM
i did have a couple of Badiator flashbacks ;)

i liked it though

C&CDean
3/12/2007, 03:22 PM
I've never even heard of it. I thought all this "300" talking was about bowling.

picasso
3/12/2007, 03:26 PM
I've never even heard of it. I thought all this "300" talking was about bowling.
nope, it's about your golf game.

ba-dump crash!!!

and I liked Gladheaterher too. it's the same genre. the cheesiness just made it better.

yermom
3/12/2007, 03:27 PM
you wouldn't like it Dean, they aren't like real Spartans ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spartan_pederasty

PAW
3/12/2007, 03:28 PM
The History Channel's knock-off was pretty good.

Mjcpr
3/12/2007, 03:28 PM
This is that baseball movie with Bernie Mac, right?

C&CDean
3/12/2007, 03:29 PM
WTF is the whole "300" thingie? If I saw a movie called "300" why in the hell would I assume it was about nekkid spartans?

yermom
3/12/2007, 03:31 PM
it's about the Battle of Thermopylae (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Thermopylae)

or rather it's based on Frank Miller's graphic novel "300" that is loosely based on the battle

C&CDean
3/12/2007, 03:35 PM
it's about the Battle of Thermopylae (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Thermopylae)

or rather it's based on Frank Miller's graphic novel "300" that is loosely based on the battle

So what does "300" have to do with it?

jk the sooner fan
3/12/2007, 03:37 PM
300 spartans stood against a persian army of over 10K......or something like that

StoopTroup
3/12/2007, 03:42 PM
Glad you cleared that up JK...cause I couldn't stand 300 mondays like this one.
http://www.independisc.com/images/300Mondays.jpg

Widescreen
3/12/2007, 04:06 PM
According to the history channel, it was 300 spartans against 300k persians. Some historians claim it was up to 2mil.

Mjcpr
3/12/2007, 04:09 PM
300 vs 2 Million?

I'ma call bull****. :D

SicEmBaylor
3/12/2007, 04:13 PM
300 vs 2 Million?

I'ma call bull****. :D

I'm fuzzy on my greek history, but initially I believe it was something like 10,000 Greeks who blocked the pass at Thermopolaye against a Persian army that was was supposedly upwards of a million men.

Initially the Greeks held the Persians off, but I think the Persians found a way to flank the Greek army and march on Athens so the majority of the Greek Army left to secure Athens while 300 Spartans and 700 Thespians stayed behind to guard the pass. The 700 thespians I think were either killed or defected leaving the 300 greeks who retreated to a final redoubt and were killed.

Frozen Sooner
3/12/2007, 04:13 PM
Well, it was 300 Spartans and 700 Thespians and like 500 Phocians.

And Thermopylae (trans "Hot Gates") is a VERY narrow defile where it is possible to defend agaisnt superior force effectively with a small, well-trained force.

The Spartans no doubt had far superior tactics to the Persians. In fact, the Spartan Hoplite Phalanx was one of the most feared military maneuvers of the time and wasn't ever defeated by anything approacing an equal force until the time of Alexander and his use of cavalry.

C&CDean
3/12/2007, 04:24 PM
So you guys are into this stuff cause you get to look at buff dudes all nekkid. Weirdos.

Frozen Sooner
3/12/2007, 04:26 PM
Nah. I mainly enjoyed the dance number with the girl who was REALLY happy to be in the movie.

Collier11
3/12/2007, 04:37 PM
This intitial battle eventually led to the dismantling of the enormous Persian army led by xerxes who by all accounts was a vicious and brutal leader!!! The initial battle basically showed how to beat the persians and was mind-boggling in the way that the Spartans out-maneuvered and out smarted the Persians for 3 or 4 days, the movie shows it as only 300 but I think they were the ones who stayed behind in honor of their country to die on the battle field. They ended up killing tens of thousands of persians before they were killed!

OCUDad
3/12/2007, 04:58 PM
Dean, forget the Spartans and stick to something you know -- Trojans.

Widescreen
3/12/2007, 05:04 PM
The Spartans were some of the best fighters ever assembled. As Mike mentioned above, their Phalanx formation was practically impenetrable. They started out fighting a bunch of conscripts who they cut down like a hot knife through butter. Then Xerxes sent in his "Immortal" elite troops and found out they weren't quite as immortal as he thought.

Frozen Sooner
3/12/2007, 05:06 PM
You know, this whole thing makes me want to go buy a good history of the Peloponesian Wars. Anyone got a suggestion?

DeadSolidPerfect
3/12/2007, 05:17 PM
I'm slightly homophobic, so I can't see it till it comes out on DVD. I'm a horrible person.

Frozen Sooner
3/12/2007, 05:20 PM
I'm slightly homophobic, so I can't see it till it comes out on DVD. I'm a horrible person.

Don't worry, the movie itself has some historically-inaccurate homophobia in it. You'll be fine. There's no dude-on-dude action.

DeadSolidPerfect
3/12/2007, 05:24 PM
Don't worry, the movie itself has some historically-inaccurate homophobia in it. You'll be fine. There's no dude-on-dude action.
I'm not worried about the dudes on screen, I'm worried about the dudes sitting next to me in the theater. Again, I'm a horrible person.

picasso
3/12/2007, 05:25 PM
but that was necessary I think. it's a manly man movie.
I'm not sure our modern well thought of heroes would be saying "let's beat and mount them men!"

or [blazing saddles] let's get 'em girls!![/blazing saddles]

Frozen Sooner
3/12/2007, 05:25 PM
I'm not worried about the dudes on screen, I'm worried about the dudes sitting next to me in the theater. Again, I'm a horrible person.

Ah. Nah, insisting on the "hetero chair" isn't homophobia. Heck, I do that.

Frozen Sooner
3/12/2007, 05:26 PM
but that was necessary I think. it's a manly man movie.
I'm not sure our modern well thought of heroes would be saying "let's beat and mount them men!"

or [blazing saddles] let's get 'em girls!![/blazing saddles]

I really thought that calling the Athenians "boy-lovers" as an insult was unneccesary, considering that historically the Spartans wouldn't have thought there was a darn thing wrong with it and practiced it with gusto. The whole subject could have been left out entirely.

setem
3/12/2007, 05:28 PM
http://penguincentral.com/pics/gallery/spole/midwinter/300Club-U.jpg

Collier11
3/12/2007, 05:39 PM
http://penguincentral.com/pics/gallery/spole/midwinter/300Club-U.jpg

Santa has really taken a turn for the worse...Cant even find his way home anymore!

SoonerProphet
3/12/2007, 06:02 PM
You know, this whole thing makes me want to go buy a good history of the Peloponesian Wars. Anyone got a suggestion?

Yeah, check out the one by Thucydides.;)

Frozen Sooner
3/12/2007, 06:11 PM
Yeah, check out the one by Thucydides.;)

Preferably something NOT written by a boy-lover. ;)

I was actually looking for something a bit more modern, though Thucydides was on the list.

usmc-sooner
3/12/2007, 06:13 PM
I like the movie, I also liked Sin City.

SoonerProphet
3/12/2007, 07:41 PM
Preferably something NOT written by a boy-lover. ;)

I was actually looking for something a bit more modern, though Thucydides was on the list.

Had to read On the Orgins of War and the Preservation of Peace in a Dr. Russell class at OU. In it was a great essay on the Pelopnnesian War. Kagan also has a general book on the subject. Pretty good reads for a neoconservative shill.:D

SoonerProphet
3/12/2007, 07:43 PM
I like the movie, I also liked Sin City.

Boobies and blood, solid Frank Miller artwork.

King Crimson
3/12/2007, 07:59 PM
Herodotus is the primary source for Thermopylae, I believe:

http://www.shsu.edu/~his_ncp/Herother.html

http://www.livius.org/he-hg/herodotus/logos7_22.html

in this summary and comment page....the bibliography lists an entry by N.G.L. Hammond. I actually heard this guy speak on Alexander in college. he was really old, he parachuted into Nazi occupied Greece (as a Classicist, not a soldier) to help preserve artifacts and identify historical sites that were under threat from Nazi defilement. pretty hip dude.

Frozen Sooner
3/12/2007, 08:04 PM
Had to read On the Orgins of War and the Preservation of Peace in a Dr. Russell class at OU. In it was a great essay on the Pelopnnesian War. Kagan also has a general book on the subject. Pretty good reads for a neoconservative shill.:D

I picked up Kagan at lunch, as it happens.

SoonerProphet
3/12/2007, 08:08 PM
Herodotus is the primary source for Thermopylae, I believe:

http://www.shsu.edu/~his_ncp/Herother.html

http://www.livius.org/he-hg/herodotus/logos7_22.html

in this summary and comment page....the bibliography lists an entry by N.G.L. Hammond. I actually heard this guy speak on Alexander in college. he was really old, he parachuted into Nazi occupied Greece (as a Classicist, not a soldier) to help preserve artifacts and identify historical sites that were under threat from Nazi defilement. pretty hip dude.

Herodotus is no doubt the dude on the Greco-Persian clash. That Hammond cat is like the Hannah Szenes of letters.

poke4christ
3/12/2007, 09:04 PM
My floor in Kerr went to see it together last night. I was a little bit hesitant about it because I wasn't sure about the content, but I was really glad I went. Just had to guard the eyes at a few points near the beginning.

Anyway, it was awesome. From what I hear, the number of 300 Spartans was accurate, but the size of the other army wasn't. Don't know percisely the size (haven't looked into it), but I'd like to. The thing they kept saying in the movie was that they forced the army down a bottle neck that made their numbers less important.

One of the things about the movie that I REALLY enjoyed was the way that Xerxes (spelling?) was being deified and how he tempted the spartans. It was really a great parallel to the temptation of Satan and the thrown he has put him self upon. If you are a Christian, pay attention this when you watch it, it's really makes you think.

Zach

picasso
3/12/2007, 09:06 PM
why would you want to guard your eyes?

you can be a good Christian and look at a teet now and then. especially in the name of art.

picasso
3/13/2007, 05:05 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2007-03-13-300-iran_N.htm?csp=27

Collier11
3/13/2007, 05:10 PM
Just another reason that our new PC world is driving me nuts!! A movie cant even be made without someone taking offense to it! Its a frickin MOVIE people.

picasso
3/13/2007, 05:13 PM
Just another reason that our new PC world is driving me nuts!! A movie cant even be made without someone taking offense to it! Its a frickin MOVIE people.
guarantee you half the folks who watch it have no idea who the Persians are to begin with.

Frozen Sooner
3/13/2007, 05:22 PM

Um, I'm not sure what part of the PC world you think Iran is in...

King Crimson
3/13/2007, 05:24 PM
guarantee you half the folks who watch it have no idea who the Persians are to begin with.

they are those hairy cats, right? who knew they could build such a fighting force?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/hottopics/jamesbond/images/cat.jpg

I'm actually surprised there wasn't more stink when the LoTR flicks came out...in the last two the evil guys "from the east" who weren't orcs who were marching to Mordor were practically stereotypical "ragheads".

picasso
3/13/2007, 05:28 PM
Um, I'm not sure what part of the PC world you think Iran is in...
I believe he's talking about their government. you know, the one with the crazy guy running it?

he's fairly PC unless he's talking about killing thee jews.

bri
3/13/2007, 05:31 PM
I'm not worried about the dudes on screen, I'm worried about the dudes sitting next to me in the theater. Again, I'm an idiot.

Well, knowing is half the battle, Slappy.

Sooner_Bob
3/13/2007, 05:36 PM
I'm going to try and go see it . . . I doubt my wife would like to go with me so I may have to wait for the DVD.

Frozen Sooner
3/13/2007, 05:44 PM
I believe he's talking about their government. you know, the one with the crazy guy running it?

he's fairly PC unless he's talking about killing thee jews.

Ah.

Crazy Muslim fundamentalists=PC now. Got it.

Collier11
3/13/2007, 05:47 PM
I was just making a broad statement about the impact of political correctness! It seems that it takes so little these days to offend someone, I just think that it is rediculous to take offense to a movie or a song or some crap like that. Its entertainment

King Crimson
3/13/2007, 06:00 PM
I was just making a broad statement about the impact of political correctness! It seems that it takes so little these days to offend someone, I just think that it is rediculous to take offense to a movie or a song or some crap like that. Its entertainment

cultural production and art or any form of representation is always far more than just entertainment. "entertainment" is an interesting analytic in itself. it 's a massive industry....and the US largest or 2nd largest export.

it's entertaining to watch a lot of people die? usually it's not.

i do agree that people "on both sides" get way to ****y about stuff. Conservatives think cartoons and Hollyweird are brainwashing their kids into being fags and commie liberals. Liberals complain about all teh PC stuff too. everyone should be complaining that Hollywood movies suck out loud.

the power people ascribe to the media or film is really remarkable. it's not an all-purpose scapegoat. as long as the consumer is "always right", the for-profit media are us.

picasso
3/13/2007, 06:03 PM
Ah.

Crazy Muslim fundamentalists=PC now. Got it.
you're really dense today.

Iranians wanting to change history in order to look good in the eyes of the public seems fairly PC to me.

call me crazy.

picasso
3/13/2007, 06:05 PM
it's like the Pawnee who were upset with how they were portrayed in Dances With Wolves.

nobody wants their feelings hurt anymore.

Frozen Sooner
3/13/2007, 06:13 PM
you're really dense today.

Iranians wanting to change history in order to look good in the eyes of the public seems fairly PC to me.

call me crazy.

Screw you, buddy. I'm really dense EVERY day.

Being ****ed off at your portrayal as evil in a movie doesn't seem super-PC to me. It just seems really strange to consider a government that denies the holocaust, that denies equal rights to women, and brutally suppresses all religions but Islam as "PC."

picasso
3/13/2007, 07:05 PM
Screw you, buddy. I'm really dense EVERY day.

Being ****ed off at your portrayal as evil in a movie doesn't seem super-PC to me. It just seems really strange to consider a government that denies the holocaust, that denies equal rights to women, and brutally suppresses all religions but Islam as "PC."
now that sounds better.:D

Vaevictis
3/13/2007, 07:11 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2007-03-13-300-iran_N.htm?csp=27

"The film depicts Iranians as demons, without culture, feeling or humanity, who think of nothing except attacking other nations and killing people," Ayende-No said in its article Tuesday.

Now THAT my friends, is irony.

Projection, too.

SoonerProphet
3/14/2007, 11:19 AM
ah, their just ****ed cause a macedonian fag rolled them up and smoked em.

KaiserSooner
3/14/2007, 11:26 AM
I hadn't even heard of 300 until my brother told me about it over the weekend. Doesn't interest me.

Collier11
3/14/2007, 11:35 AM
I hadn't even heard of 300 until my brother told me about it over the weekend. Doesn't interest me.

You are missing out, its a great movie. I personally wasnt into kingdom of heaven, troy, and all those but I loved this movie! It is really interesting and very entertaining!

Widescreen
3/14/2007, 11:42 AM
I do find it funny that a nation would publicly whine about a movie they won't let their own populace see. (Yes, I understand about the bootleg market).

OUAndy1807
3/19/2007, 06:49 PM
am I the only one who thought that this movie wasn't too good? I mean, I knew what I was getting in to when I went to it, but it was SO predictable.

bri
3/19/2007, 09:29 PM
I agree.

I had the same feeling when I went to see Apollo 13. I was like, "I SO called that!" Hollywood sucks.

SicEmBaylor
3/19/2007, 09:31 PM
Titanic was the same way........soooo freaking predictable.

hurricane'bone
3/19/2007, 09:37 PM
And yet you still bawled like a little girl...didn't you?

:D

OUAndy1807
3/19/2007, 09:39 PM
I agree.

I had the same feeling when I went to see Apollo 13. I was like, "I SO called that!" Hollywood sucks.
you know what I mean. I knew how it was going to end, but there were a ton of really obvious plot twists.

also, way to piggyback on the joke, sicem;)

Sooner_Bob
3/19/2007, 09:54 PM
I saw it this evening after work. I thought it was pretty freakin' cool.

Oldnslo
3/20/2007, 09:18 PM
I'm just back from the movie.

It was, IMHO, one of the 3 or 5 worst movies I've ever seen. Perhaps one of the worst movies ever made.

Oh, there were moments of unintentional hilarity, but, by and large, it was as if the battle of thermopylae was chronicled, written, and directed by a 13-year old boy. Who likes erect nipples.

I mean, I like erect nipples, too. But apart from that, the movie was supa succ. Sucktastic. Sucktacular. And unintentionally hilarious.

picasso
3/20/2007, 10:05 PM
it was part fantasy. kinda like a living comic book. not sure some folks are grasping that.
remember Sin City?

there's a special on the History Channel about it right now.

Collier11
3/20/2007, 11:35 PM
yea I think alot of people that watched it expected something like gladiator. It was meant to have that sin city feel to it

birddog
3/20/2007, 11:55 PM
http://utvpc.com/

it's on here, for free.

Oldnslo
3/21/2007, 09:52 AM
it was part fantasy. kinda like a living comic book. not sure some folks are grasping that.
remember Sin City?

there's a special on the History Channel about it right now.
I'm a Frank Miller fan, and I loved Sin City enough to buy the DVD. I started collecting comic books when the Batman movie came out, and DC started Legends of the Dark Knight, their first new Batman title in something like 40 years (it recently stopped after over 200 issues). I'm all over the DC universe, and I also collect Marvell titles, Vertigo books, Dark Horse titles, Image, Impact... I've got 20 long boxes in storage. I've got the whole set of Alex Ross' Justice figures at home, and at the office, I've got a Joker marionette, a Batman statue, and statues of Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Arrow, Specter, and an Uncle Sam action figure. There is no bigger dork than I.

The movie sucked.

crawfish
3/21/2007, 10:10 AM
I'm a Frank Miller fan, and I loved Sin City enough to buy the DVD. I started collecting comic books when the Batman movie came out, and DC started Legends of the Dark Knight, their first new Batman title in something like 40 years (it recently stopped after over 200 issues). I'm all over the DC universe, and I also collect Marvell titles, Vertigo books, Dark Horse titles, Image, Impact... I've got 20 long boxes in storage. I've got the whole set of Alex Ross' Justice figures at home, and at the office, I've got a Joker marionette, a Batman statue, and statues of Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Arrow, Specter, and an Uncle Sam action figure. There is no bigger dork than I.

The movie sucked.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2007/20070321.jpg

Oldnslo
3/21/2007, 10:56 AM
:les: AT LEAST I'VE KISSED A GIRL

bri
3/21/2007, 12:48 PM
I've kissed a girl and I liked 300. I'm twice the man you are. :D

Widescreen
3/21/2007, 12:54 PM
:les: AT LEAST I'VE KISSED A GIRL
Are you implying that craw is gay or that he's as inept with the ladies as Sicem?

crawfish
3/21/2007, 12:59 PM
Are you implying that craw is gay or that he's as inept with the ladies as Sicem?

Either would be impossible.

I can open jars with my penis, though.

soonerboomer93
3/22/2007, 02:26 AM
and the thread just keeps rolling down hill

tbl
4/1/2007, 12:03 AM
So I saw it tonight... Opinions of the movie aside, I literally had to bite my tongue and hold back my fists at this Mexican couple that was there. They brought their 7-9 year old & 3-4 year old sons to watch the blood, carnage, nudity, rape, etc. Its obvious from the opening scenes this movie is NOT intended for kids of any age, much less a kid that is still drinking from a sippy cup, yet they barreled through to the end. I was literally in awe. I gave them some very bitter looks, but held my tongue as I was not interested in getting a shiv in my throat. :mad:

Widescreen
4/1/2007, 08:11 AM
Did you shout "Remember the Alamo!"?

critical_phil
5/10/2007, 09:58 AM
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/5/10/1066036/image.jpg