PDA

View Full Version : Dems suspicious of Halliburton go figure

85Sooner
3/12/2007, 12:38 PM
Now that halliburton has had enough bad mouthing by the left in this country, they decide to make a smart business move and move the Headquarters to dubai. They will save tons in taxes.

however the same people who have been calling them the debil are now surprised and suspicious why they are taking their business elsewhere.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/GMA/Politics/story?id=2943017&page=1

1stTimeCaller
3/12/2007, 12:43 PM
from Duncan, OK to Houston, TX to Dubai.

Good on Halliburton for looking at their shareholder's best interests.

Hatfield
3/12/2007, 12:48 PM
you are ignorant if you think haliburton got its feelings hurt by the left and that is the reason they are packing up for dubai.

actually ignorant isn't a strong enough word.

Ike
3/12/2007, 01:01 PM
funny how we say "good on them" for moving to Dubai, but when a Dubai based company wants to come in and buy the contract for operating our ports people get wound up into a tissy.

Personally, I'm not surprised. In fact, I'm surprised they didn't do this sooner. Their main business is energy. It makes way more sense for them to be headquartered where the oil is.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/12/2007, 01:06 PM
Damn, if the public really knew how much construction and projects are going on and planned for UAE and Qatar, they would know why Haliburton HQ is moving. Business in Arabia is all about personal contact and building relationships. This and the amount of work going on there makes this a no-brainer. Doubt if many jobs will move.

SoonerBorn68
3/12/2007, 01:10 PM
Dang, that's gonna displace a lot of hillbillies.

SoonerBorn68
3/12/2007, 01:10 PM
Dunebillies?

OklahomaTuba
3/12/2007, 01:22 PM
Makes sense.

Most of their business is overseas and in Asia. Might as well be in Asia's tax haven.

The US needs to become a tax haven for companies. Lots of good jobs are leaving this country just cause of that, and the shrinking pool of engineers and such.

slickdawg
3/12/2007, 01:25 PM
Makes sense.

Most of their business is overseas and in Asia. Might as well be in Asia's tax haven.

The US needs to become a tax haven for companies. Lots of good jobs are leaving this country just cause of that, and the shrinking pool of engineers and such.

Hell, don't worry - W is letting all the Messicans come in to fill in for those engineers and scientists.

mdklatt
3/12/2007, 02:03 PM
Does this mean Haliburton will have to give up all US contracts, like that port management firm did?

OklahomaTuba
3/12/2007, 03:10 PM
Sounds like Haliburton would love to give up all those contracts, which is why they have been trying to sell KBR for about 3 years now.

Haliburton is a good company though. Lotsa good ol Okies still in working there. They have played "contractor" for this country for the last 50 years, and have a remarkable track record. I am sure Bechtel and Shaw Stone & Webster are getting plenty of work with Haliburton though.

Hatfield
3/12/2007, 04:07 PM
they just need to brush up on their accounting practices.....

DeadSolidPerfect
3/12/2007, 05:22 PM
they just need to brush up on their accounting practices.....
Maybe they could hire government accountants, they do such a good job.

soonerboomer93
3/12/2007, 06:31 PM
Makes sense.

The US has no one to blame but itself

and it's own workforce

Jerk
3/12/2007, 07:04 PM
I don't think most dems (or anyone for that matter) really even know what Halliburton does. They just think it's some big oil company.

1stTimeCaller
3/12/2007, 07:11 PM
but but but, are you saying they aren't a big oil company like Exxon?

;)

soonerboomer93
3/12/2007, 07:19 PM
oh crap, you said they're in oil

they must be evil

Vaevictis
3/12/2007, 09:10 PM
Lots of good jobs are leaving this country just cause of that, and the shrinking pool of engineers and such.

Heh, the "shrinking pool of engineers" is my one of my favorite bull**** business memes.

Quit trying to pay below market equilibrium price, and the supply will stop shrinking.

Scott D
3/12/2007, 09:28 PM
Maybe they could hire government accountants, they do such a good job.

Which is why I loved it when the IRS got audited a few years back.

Vaevictis
3/12/2007, 09:48 PM
I don't think most dems (or anyone for that matter) really even know what Halliburton does. They just think it's some big oil company.

Halliburton: If yous gots enough money, we do anything you want (tm)

soonerjoker
3/13/2007, 08:59 AM
i don't know what all they're involved in now, but they started out in
duncan as a "well-servicing" company.

you gotta know they'll still have much stuff still goin on here in US.

OklahomaTuba
3/13/2007, 09:18 AM
Haliburton is an engineering and construction firm. They, like Bechtel, Shaw, etc have the engineering capabilities to build refineries, petrochemical plants, power plants, airports, highways or any kind of complex industrial, process or transportation system. They are also really good at logistics. KBR (Kelloge-Brown & Root) is known world-wide for its logistical capabilities. One of the reasons the DOD has used them since the reconstruction of Japan & Germany after World War 2.

And the building frenzy for the process industry is in The Kingdom, the Gulf States, India, Pakistan, Russia, China and South East Asia now.

Okla-homey
3/13/2007, 09:35 AM
U.A.E. is very "business friendly." Several years ago they adopted the NY state business code almost in its entirety, which is kind of unique in international law.

1stTimeCaller
3/13/2007, 12:20 PM
see. even Tuba doesn't know what all Halliburton does.

OklahomaTuba
3/13/2007, 04:03 PM
see. even Tuba doesn't know what all Halliburton does.
I just know the biggest part of what they do, cause I work with them on occassion. The rest I couldn't give a **** about.

Rogue
3/13/2007, 08:48 PM
This global economy thing is getting to be confusing. Now instead of bithcin' about a big oil co. getting no-bid contracts to rebuild Iraq, I hafta bitch about a big Dubai oil co. getting no bid contracts. And now our VP's biggest source of income is from a big middle-eastern oil company. He must be a terrist.

1stTimeCaller
3/13/2007, 08:56 PM
C'mon Rogue. Even the slightest bit of reasearch would show you how wrong you are on all accounts.

Halliburton is not an oil company.

Rogue
3/13/2007, 09:12 PM
OK, and my dog isn't a leg humper, he's just fond of ankles.:rolleyes:

They are involved in several industrial areas. Oil drilling, oil wells, oil exploration, oil pumping, oil technologies, et cetera.:texan:

www.kbr.com

KBR
KBR is a leading global engineering, construction and services company supporting the energy, petrochemicals, government services and civil infrastructure sectors. The company is a leader in many of the growing end-markets it serves, particularly gas monetization, having designed and constructed, alone or with joint venture partners, more than half of the world's operating liquefied natural gas (LNG) production capacity over the past 30 years. KBR offers its wide range of services through two business segments, Energy and Chemicals (E&C) and Government and Infrastructure (G&I).

Try www.halliburton.com and type "oil" in the search box.

Included in the "about 455 results" are these gems:

HALLIBURTON ANNOUNCES PLAN TO SELL OIL AND GAS ASSETS IN BANGLADESH
Halliburton (NYSE: HAL) announced today that its subsidiary, HBR Energy Inc., has signed a definitive agreement for the intended sale of its working interests in oil and gas assets in Bangladesh to a privately held, Singapore-based company. 25-OCT-06

SHELL AWARDS HALLIBURTON $100 MILLION IN CONTRACTS FOR OIL AND GAS COMPLETION SERVICES IN EUROPE REGION
Halliburton’s (NYSE: HAL) Production Optimization Division has been awarded contracts by four Shell Exploration and Production companies in Europe to provide completion products and services for oil and gas operations in the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, Norway and Ireland. The contracts,... 08-MAY-06

HALLIBURTON AND OIL & NATURAL GAS CORPORATION SIGN MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING
Halliburton's (NYSE: HAL) Energy Services Group and Oil & Gas Natural Corporation Ltd. (ONGC) have entered into a five-year Memorandum of Understanding to pursue services and support opportunities in India. 14-APR-06

http://www.halliburton.com/default/main/halliburton/eng/news/source_files/news.jsp?newsurl=/default/main/halliburton/eng/news/source_files/press_release/2007/corpnws_031107.html

HALLIBURTON OPENS CORPORATE HEADQUARTERS IN THE UNITED ARAB EMIRATES

- Chairman, President and CEO Moves to Dubai to Focus Company’s Eastern Hemisphere Growth -
HOUSTON and UAE – Halliburton Company (NYSE: HAL) announced today at a regional energy conference in the Kingdom of Bahrain the opening of a corporate headquarters office in the United Arab Emirates. Halliburton Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer Dave Lesar will move to Dubai to lead the company’s efforts in growing Halliburton’s business in the Eastern Hemisphere, an important market for the global oil and gas industry.

The opening of a headquarters in Dubai is the next step in a strategic plan announced in 2006 to focus on expanding its customer relations with national oil companies while concentrating more of the company’s investments and resources in growing its business in the Eastern Hemisphere.

Based in Dubai, Lesar will work closely with Halliburton Eastern Hemisphere Senior Vice President Ahmed Lotfy to further strengthen the company’s activities in the Middle East, Africa, Asia Pacific and Europe/Eurasia regions.“As we invest more heavily in our Eastern Hemisphere presence, we will continue to build upon our leading position in the North American gas-focused market through our excellent mix of technology, reservoir knowledge and an experienced workforce,” explains Lesar. “Our talented Western Hemisphere leadership will continue to grow this area of our business.

“The Eastern Hemisphere is a market that is more heavily weighted toward oil exploration and production opportunities and growing our business here will bring more balance to Halliburton’s overall portfolio.

“This is already a strong market for Halliburton and we are excited to position the company in this key business area,” he adds. “Halliburton continues to introduce innovative technologies, such as the Geo-Pilot® and EZ-Pilot™ rotary steerable tools and GasPerm 1000 fracturing agent, among others, which help to enable our customers to recognize even greater returns on their drilling and production operations.”
Halliburton’s energy services operations have recently celebrated key contract wins, expanded service offerings across the divisions, and experienced increased utilization of integrated services and technologies throughout the Eastern Hemisphere. During 2006, more than 38 percent of Halliburton’s US$13 billion oil field services revenue was generated from the Eastern Hemisphere. The area encompasses four regions with more than 16,000 employees, more than 80 percent of which are localized.

“I look forward to working with our exceptional employees across the Eastern Hemisphere as we move forward with the increased level of investment in this area of our business,” says Lesar.

Founded in 1919, Halliburton is one of the world's largest providers of products and services to the energy industry. The company will continue to maintain a corporate office in Houston.
Halliburton has been active in the Eastern Hemisphere energy services market since 1926, continually growing to now offer a full range of technology and services across the company’s Production Optimization, Fluid Systems, Drilling and Formation Evaluation, and Digital and Consulting Solutions divisions.

Today, Halliburton spans its energy services operations across nearly 70 countries with more than 45,000 employees serving the upstream oil and gas industry throughout the life cycle of the reservoir—from locating hydrocarbons and managing geological data, to drilling and formation evaluation, well construction and completion, and optimizing production through the life of the field. Visit the company’s Web site at www.Halliburton.com.

:texan: Not an oil company my ***.

1stTimeCaller
3/13/2007, 09:16 PM
they are an oil services company. Exxon is an oil company.

1stTimeCaller
3/13/2007, 09:18 PM
if they are an oil company how many barrels of oil or barrels of oil equivalent do they have in the ground?

def_lazer_fc
3/14/2007, 02:11 AM
if they are an oil company how many barrels of oil or barrels of oil equivalent do they have in the ground?
enough for cheney to drown cute little kittens with?

soonerboomer93
3/14/2007, 03:43 AM
they are an oil services company. Exxon is an oil company.

shhh, to some people it's all the same :D

1stTimeCaller
3/14/2007, 04:09 AM
True but people only think about oil companies and oil service companies when gasoline and natural gas prices move.

When the price of natural gas or oil moves up the service companies do not make any more money. We stay busy when that price is over a certain amount but we don't make more money when it moves higher than that price point. For the most part.

Halliburton and other service companies don't care if natural gas sells for $8 or $10 as long as it's above $4. We'll stay just as busy.

My company turns down about a million dollars worth of work each and every day because we don't have the tools and people to do the jobs. We're like a barber with a full schedule and no lunch break.

soonerboomer93
3/14/2007, 05:33 AM
I know how that goes. I build platforms, so as long as they're drilling offshore and need platforms, I have work. People only see gass prices at the pump but fail to realize how much of an investment the oil companies have to make and how much they have to spend on equipment, people. The US has some of the lowest gas prices in the world, and some of the highest consumption vehicles also.

The project i'm on, our client won't won't make money for probably 10 years at the earliest. Just for the oil lease rights our client has had to spend billions.

yes, that's billions.