PDA

View Full Version : Friday I was called for Jury Duty...

TheHumanAlphabet
3/12/2007, 09:39 AM
Harris County Criminal Court. 65 potential jurors, so I knew it was a heinous crime.

We went in, some mumbo jumbo was spoken, we were cleared out and about an hour later we went back in...

At the judge, the guy was in front of the judge with his lawyer and translator or two translaters - spoke zippo English, copping a plea. Afterwards the judge thanks us and excuses us.

As I am leaving, I ask the bailiff/sheriff what the charge was, his reply, Agravated sexual assault of a child. Here that Scott D? ;) An illegal - I would bet, charged with a sexual assault crime...

Good thing he copped, I told the rest of the jurors while we were waiting for the elevator, he would've gotten the death penalty and that isn't even on the books...

jk the sooner fan
3/12/2007, 09:41 AM
you are "betting" that he's an illegal because he doesnt speak english?

TheHumanAlphabet
3/12/2007, 09:53 AM
you are "betting" that he's an illegal because he doesnt speak english?

Yep! That and that I live in a city with one of the largest illegal population in Texas.

Oh, to be fair, I am unadbashedly anti-illegal immigrants...

yermom
3/12/2007, 10:26 AM
Hispanics have to be illegal to sexually assault children? :confused:

i thought they all did that... ;)

TheHumanAlphabet
3/12/2007, 10:44 AM
Hispanics have to be illegal to sexually assault children? :confused:

i thought they all did that... ;)

Ha...

One of the guys in the jury pool was an CBP/ICE person in UNIFORM :eek: I'm sure the uniform was a ploy to not be seated, but I bet the perp thought twice after that...

Problem is, Houston is a "sanctuary city". We are trying to get that changed, but LULAC has some backing...they always are saying what about the children...

85Sooner
3/12/2007, 10:47 AM
noW AFTER HE SERVES HIS SENTENCE put him on a one way plane back to mejico

TheHumanAlphabet
3/12/2007, 10:50 AM
noW AFTER HE SERVES HIS SENTENCE put him on a one way plane back to mejico

Court was recessed pending the pre-sentencing report. So don't know what the perp got.

SoonerStormchaser
3/12/2007, 10:57 AM
Screw the children...send em ALL back.

Harsh, but necessary.