PDA

View Full Version : Tommy Morrison cured of HIV?

Big Red Ron
3/12/2007, 03:28 AM
Is that possible? I read recently that he's had four negative tests a decade after being HIV positive. Has this ever happened before?

Jerk
3/12/2007, 06:13 AM
I bet the first test was wrong.

I'd be suing the shat out of someone. I mean, this poor guy has had his career cut short over this...and living the past 10 years thinking he's going to die soon.

afs
3/12/2007, 06:15 AM
He no longers has HIV, it's full blown AIDS

tbl
3/12/2007, 08:52 AM
My wifes best friend growing up contracted HIV when she was 3 in a heart surgery. Back in the late 90's she almost died from a liver complication b/c her T-cells got so low. Now her viral count is undetectable any time she takes a test. She ended up marrying a guy a couple of years ago (HIV free) and they're due to have their first child in 3 weeks.

The meds are pretty amazing now...

Hatfield
3/12/2007, 08:55 AM
i heard he drank a cup of chuck norris's tears

SoonersEnFuego
3/12/2007, 09:02 AM
Chuck Norris doesn't have tears...
It was Chuck Norris semen!

Fraggle145
3/12/2007, 09:13 AM
I bet the 1st test was a false positive. That said.... it is conceivable. The way "the cocktail" works is that instead of targeting one mode of action of the virus, which just causes it to evolve into a different form in the body due to its error prone gene transcription and increased mutation rate (when compared with other viruses) it targets multiple modes of killing the virus off. Hence why it is so expensive and taxing on the body. However, even it has to be varied slightly over the course of the infection or the HIV within the person's body can grow resistant to it as well. I guess it could be possible, but highly improbable to lose it forever, but then again look at Magic Johnson. Shows you what being able to afford good meds before they were well known can do for ya.

tbl
3/12/2007, 09:15 AM
I bet the 1st test was a false positive. That said.... it is conceivable. The way "the cocktail" works is that instead of targeting one mode of action of the virus, which just causes it to evolve into a different form in the body due to its error prone gene transcription and increased mutation rate (when compared with other viruses) it targets multiple modes of killing the virus off. Hence why it is so expensive and taxing on the body. However, even it has to be varied slightly over the course of the infection or the HIV within the person's body can grow resistant to it as well. I guess it could be possible, but highly improbable to lose it forever, but then again look at Magic Johnson. Shows you what being able to afford good meds before they were well known can do for ya.
All you need is a good insurance plan and they'll cover the meds.

Fraggle145
3/12/2007, 09:32 AM
All you need is a good insurance plan and they'll cover the meds.

That may be true now, but I bet it wasnt back when the HIV epidemic was just beginning, just sayin... Anyone ever heard what Magic's test results are like?

SoonerStormchaser
3/12/2007, 09:40 AM
Well, Magic Johnson had full blown HIV...and he's been declared HIV-free for nearly a decade now...

Widescreen
3/12/2007, 10:02 AM
I mean, this poor guy has had his career cut short over this...
Actually his career was cut short by his glass jaw. No false positive there. ;)

You're right though. I'm sure he'll be suing a bunch of people.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/12/2007, 10:07 AM
Who are we talking about...The Doors dead guy?

Hatfield
3/12/2007, 10:14 AM
Who are we talking about...The Doors dead guy?

no...Adam's dad.

the WHO based a rock opera on him

Big Red Ron
3/12/2007, 11:25 AM
Actually his career was cut short by his glass jaw. No false positive there. ;)

You're right though. I'm sure he'll be suing a bunch of people.He faught about 10 days ago. Knocking his opponent out in the second.

Frozen Sooner
3/12/2007, 11:27 AM
I imagine that any time you get a positive, they retest to make sure it wasn't a false positive.

It does appear that people in really good shape have a higher likelihood of being able to hold the virus off for a lot longer-which shouldn't really be a big surprise.

Has anyone BUT Morrison confirmed he's been testing HIV-free? The guy isn't the most stable dude out there.

Widescreen
3/12/2007, 12:07 PM
He faught about 10 days ago. Knocking his opponent out in the second.
Glad to see he was able to knock out the champion from the Sisters of the Blind school.

Big Red Ron
3/12/2007, 12:15 PM
I imagine that any time you get a positive, they retest to make sure it wasn't a false positive.

It does appear that people in really good shape have a higher likelihood of being able to hold the virus off for a lot longer-which shouldn't really be a big surprise.

Has anyone BUT Morrison confirmed he's been testing HIV-free? The guy isn't the most stable dude out there.He got a boxing licence. Which means he had to pass their hiv tests.

Scott D
3/12/2007, 12:46 PM
He got a boxing licence. Which means he had to pass their hiv tests.

yeah but tyson can get a boxing license in some places despite failing the bat**** crazy tests.

picasso
3/12/2007, 12:53 PM
He faught about 10 days ago. Knocking Spider Rico out in the second.

yep.

OKC-SLC
3/12/2007, 02:22 PM
I think what has probably happened was alluded to earlier--that is he probably has undetectable viral loads.

The original test which establishes the diagnosis in virtually everyone who is diagnosed is an antibody test. It basically tells you if the virus has been in the body with enough strength to generate immune response. There are actually two tests--the first is a screening test (an ELISA type test) and the second is a confirmation test (a Western blot test). It is exceedingly doubtful that the diagnosis was declared without both of these. Even in the 80s and 90s.

However, it is VERY common and one of the goals of therapy for viral counts to be undetectable. This does not necessarily (and in fact probably doesn't) mean the virus is gone and/or the person is cured. It merely means the level is so low/suppressed that it is below the detection limit of the test. It is felt that at such low levels, the virus is likely causing little or no damage.

So, bottom line--if I were Big Red Ron, I'd not go having unprotected sex with Morrison quite yet.

NTTAWWT.

colleyvillesooner
3/12/2007, 02:25 PM
He got a boxing licence. Which means he had to pass their hiv tests.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=2772386

West Virginia doesn't require blood tests for boxers to be licensed, but Morrison said his Arizona results were sent to the West Virginia commission as a precaution.

"They don't require a test in West Virginia, but I took one anyway just to satisfy them," Morrison said.
So Morrison sent them a test that he set up.

yermom
3/12/2007, 02:26 PM
I think what has probably happened was alluded to earlier--that is he probably has undetectable viral loads.

The original test which establishes the diagnosis in virtually everyone who is diagnosed is an antibody test. It basically tells you if the virus has been in the body with enough strength to generate immune response. There are actually two tests--the first is a screening test (an ELISA type test) and the second is a confirmation test (a Western blot test). It is exceedingly doubtful that the diagnosis was declared without both of these. Even in the 80s and 90s.

However, it is VERY common and one of the goals of therapy for viral counts to be undetectable. This does not necessarily (and in fact probably doesn't) mean the virus is gone and/or the person is cured. It merely means the level is so low/suppressed that it is below the detection limit of the test. It is felt that at such low levels, the virus is likely causing little or no damage.

So, bottom line--if I were Big Red Ron, I'd not go having unprotected sex with Morrison quite yet.

NTTAWWT.

yeah, that's what i'm thinking, sounds kinda scary to just assume that it's gone and acting like nothing ever happened

badger
3/12/2007, 02:31 PM
He no longers has HIV, it's full blown AIDS
sorry, wish it were something less serious![/family guy]

OKC-SLC
3/12/2007, 02:32 PM
yeah, that's what i'm thinking, sounds kinda scary to just assume that it's gone and acting like nothing ever happened
I haven't heard all the news/things TM has said about it (i.e. is he on treatment, etc.). But in general, this common occurrence in the setting of successful HIV treatment may be interpreted colloquially as 'not having the disease anymore'.

I think it's fair to call TM and the media colloquial. At best.

yermom
3/12/2007, 02:40 PM
he says it was a false-positive, from what i can tell, not that he was "cured"

OKC-SLC
3/12/2007, 02:49 PM
yeah, just read that. i suppose he had a positive antibody test, but has never had detectable viral loads. I don't know if that is possible--to have such low levels of viremia that it is never detectable. I also don't know if there are reported cases of clearing the virus on your own.

At the end of the day, it is very very hard to believe that the initial testing he had done (which were almost certainly antibody tests--we don't screen for HIV with the viral load tests) were falsely positive. So he either has never had enough actual virus in his blood to detect it or he's been on treatment.

Frozen Sooner
3/12/2007, 02:52 PM
he says it was a false-positive, from what i can tell, not that he was "cured"

The statistical likelyhood of a false positive is pretty low. Not saying it can't happen, but like I said above-a positive result generally results in an immediate retest.

OKC-SLC
3/12/2007, 02:57 PM
The statistical likelyhood of a false positive is pretty low. Not saying it can't happen, but like I said above-a positive result generally results in an immediate retest.
right. with HIV testing, the screening test is an ELISA test. This test is very sensitive, meaning it rarely misses a positive, even at the expense of calling a few positives that really aren't.

then a western blot confirmation test is ALWAYS done.

The likelihood that this combination would have falsely labeled someone positive is incredibly small.

Petro-Sooner
3/12/2007, 02:59 PM
I seriously thought he died like 8 or so yrs. ago.

colleyvillesooner
3/12/2007, 03:25 PM

He was going on and on about false positives caused by steroids on the Dan Patrick Show the day before the fight. He was talking about all the "research" he has done and how he knows more than most people about it.

Bull****. Bull****, bull****, bull****.

They also caught him in a small lie during his interview (said he'd be contender is 3-6 months, then when Patrick recalled that a little later, he said "I never said that, I said a year"

He's shifty when he talks, and he's not right in the head. Dude comes off as a liar. If he got a false positive 10 years ago, why hasn't he been beating down the press before now with his story. Now he fights 10 years later in a bout not televised, in a state where you don't have to have a blood test?

StoopTroup
3/12/2007, 03:57 PM
It's my understanding that there isn't a cure for any virus.

This fellow might be a positive step in finding a treatment or cure but he seems to be wanting some kind of compensation rather than being a humanitarian.

news.bbc.co.uk (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4432564.stm)

Frozen Sooner
3/12/2007, 04:15 PM
It's my understanding that there isn't a cure for any virus.

It's my understanding that this is correct. They can vaccinate and they can help your body fight it off, but there's no real "cure."

Big Red Ron
3/12/2007, 04:30 PM
Well, like him or not. I thought it was pretty cool to have the Heavyweight Champion of the world being an Oklahoman.

When he beat George Foreman. George said he'd never been hit that hard in his life.

royalfan5
3/12/2007, 06:34 PM
West Virginia also licensed Joe Mesi who was beaten into a coma by Vassily Jirov. It should also be noted that Japan let Morrison fight after he tested positive. In addition Morrison's power is in no way underrated. Ray Mercer, who has been in with everybody claimed Morrison was the hardest puncher he faced, and Morrison's body work nearly caused him to **** himself in the ring. Also, Michael Bentt was a much better boxer than he is normally given credit for. Ross Purrity was actually pretty decent too. Morrison just had a shakey chin, and poor work habits. Also, he will be on the Manny Pacuqio and Jorge Arce card in San Antionio in April if Texas will license him. Which they probably will since they cleared Holyfield.

olevetonahill
3/12/2007, 08:14 PM
yeah but tyson can get a boxing license in some places despite failing the bat**** crazy tests.
Dayum Now I gotta clean my monitor , I was taking a drink of Beer .
Thats some funny stuff .

John Kochtoston
3/12/2007, 10:20 PM
Well, like him or not. I thought it was pretty cool to have the Heavyweight Champion of the world being an Oklahoman.

Morrison had a belt. He never won the lineal title that Lewis recently retired. Though, he likely could beat three of the four title holders out there now, if he's anywhere close to where he was in his prime.

Big Red Ron
3/12/2007, 11:25 PM
Morrison had a belt. He never won the lineal title that Lewis recently retired. Though, he likely could beat three of the four title holders out there now, if he's anywhere close to where he was in his prime.Dude you're just a plain pain in the ***. Nobody said Undisputed Heavyweight. But hey, stay cool.:rolleyes:

He had a heavyweight Championship belt and he's an Oklahoman. He beat the living tar out of George. It was very cool. I'm sure he would have been one of the greatest if not for the HIV situation.

Thanks for playing.

batonrougesooner
3/13/2007, 12:19 AM
Sounds to me he is trying to pass off an undetectable viral load as a "false positive". Either he is grossly misinformed or lying.

Big Red Ron
3/13/2007, 12:28 AM
Sounds to me he is trying to pass off an undetectable viral load as a "false positive". Either he is grossly misinformed or lying.I agree but he really thinks he could come back and kick some azz. I kind of agree. The HW division isn't all that impressive and he's a giant. None of the taller HW would bother him. Foreman was able to come back because he hadn't been getting his head punched for many year, just like Tommy. I am not holding my breath but I think it would be cool if he got a title shot.

John Kochtoston
3/13/2007, 07:32 AM
Dude you're just a plain pain in the ***. Nobody said Undisputed Heavyweight. But hey, stay cool.:rolleyes:

He had a heavyweight Championship belt and he's an Oklahoman. He beat the living tar out of George. It was very cool. I'm sure he would have been one of the greatest if not for the HIV situation.

Thanks for playing.

He had the least recognized championship of the four titles. In fact, many didn't recognize it as a legit world title at the time. BTW, Lewis was never the undisputed heavyweight champ, just the linear and most widely recognized one.

Yes, he beat Foreman. He also beat Razor Ruddock. Ray Mercer and Lennox Lewis beat him silly. Don't really know how he would have been one of the greatest, HIV or no HIV, because of his inability to take a punch.

Scott D
3/13/2007, 12:09 PM
Both Klitschko brothers would take him out in the first round.

Big Red Ron
3/13/2007, 12:26 PM
He had the least recognized championship of the four titles. In fact, many didn't recognize it as a legit world title at the time. Tell Michael Moorer, Riddick Bowe, Ray Mercer and Vitali Klitchco that they weren't actually HW champs.

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/13/2007, 12:27 PM
Maybe he rubbed some dirt on it.

colleyvillesooner
3/13/2007, 01:53 PM
:D

Frozen Sooner
3/13/2007, 02:24 PM
Maybe he rubbed some dirt on it.

Had to have been the 'Tussin.

Mjcpr
3/13/2007, 02:25 PM
Maybe he rubbed some dirt road on it.

I don't think that's how he caught his AID.

royalfan5
3/13/2007, 04:41 PM
Tell Michael Moorer, Riddick Bowe, Ray Mercer and Vitali Klitchco that they weren't actually HW champs.
Considering Mercer, Bowe, and Moorer reliquished the WBO belt, I don't think they considered it a legit heavyweight title at the time.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/13/2007, 04:49 PM
Had to have been the 'Tussin.

MC CHRIS style

John Kochtoston
3/13/2007, 05:08 PM
Considering Mercer, Bowe, and Moorer reliquished the WBO belt, I don't think they considered it a legit heavyweight title at the time.

Plus, Bowe and Mercer were linear title holders as well. The WBO belt's gained more cred recently, largely because some of the others have slipped in prestige.

I also agree with Scott D about the Klitschkos v. Tommy Morrison.

Morrison in his prime might have had a "puncher's chance" if he fought one of the elite heavyweights. He threw one hell of a punch. He also coudn't take one very well and got winded really easily.

royalfan5
3/13/2007, 05:13 PM
Plus, Bowe and Mercer were linear title holders as well. The WBO belt's gained more cred recently, largely because some of the others have slipped in prestige.

I also agree with Scott D about the Klitschkos v. Tommy Morrison.

Morrison in his prime might have had a "puncher's chance" if he fought one of the elite heavyweights. He threw one hell of a punch. He also coudn't take one very well and got winded really easily.
You mean Moorer, Mercer was never lineal champ.

Big Red Ron
3/13/2007, 05:30 PM
Considering Mercer, Bowe, and Moorer reliquished the WBO belt, I don't think they considered it a legit heavyweight title at the time.I could really give a crap about which is better or not. There are what four maybe five recognized belts? My point is/was that it was very cool to have an Oklahoman as one of the HW Champs.

As to the Klitchko brother, we'll never know. Tommy was still pretty young when he won the WBO, we'll never know what might have been.

Was Tommy the greatest ever? No. Never mind that I never said that. He was in fact one of the best in the world in his prime.

He had WBO and a record of something like 40-4. I was proud of the "Duke."

I'm white/Native American and an Oklahoman. I was one of his biggest fans. It's too bad that his life turned out how it did because I would have loved to see what might have been.

royalfan5
3/13/2007, 05:38 PM
I could really give a crap about which is better or not. There are what four maybe five recognized belts? My point is/was that it was very cool to have an Oklahoman as one of the HW Champs.

As to the Klitchko brother, we'll never know. Tommy was still pretty young when he won the WBO, we'll never know what might have been.

Was Tommy the greatest ever? No. Never mind that I never said that. He was in fact one of the best in the world in his prime.

He had WBO and a record of something like 40-4. I was proud of the "Duke."

I'm white/Native American and an Oklahoman. I was one of his biggest fans. It's too bad that his life turned out how it did because I would have loved to see what might have been.
48-3-1 as of right now. The WBO wasn't viewed as a top tier belt at the time, and there was a lineal title holder at that time. However, must people agree Morrison was an elite heavyweight. The Wlad and Vitaly are similar to Morrison in their high level physical tools and poor chins. I think Morrison could beat either one in his prime. Morrison's heart was also underrated as he got off the floor several times to win, e.g Carl "the Truth Williams fight. The Joe Hipp fight was an underrated classic from the 90's, where Morrison fought through a broken hand and jaw, and hip had a shattered orbital bone and broken hand.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/13/2007, 05:52 PM
I was listening to him on the DP show...It was so funny because he was saying people put words in his mouth and when Patrick brought it up about the being a contender that quick Morrison said "I never said that! See what I mean!"

John Kochtoston
3/13/2007, 07:33 PM
You mean Moorer, Mercer was never lineal champ.

Whoops, my bad. good catch. :O

royalfan5
4/19/2007, 10:25 PM
http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=8295
Morrison returns to action next week.

Scott D
4/19/2007, 11:47 PM
he's still not cured of 'the stupid' though, is he.

Widescreen
4/20/2007, 01:19 AM
Science hasn't advanced quite that far.

royalfan5
2/10/2008, 10:23 AM
Morrison won by 3rd Round TKO in Mexico last night on the JCC Jr. Card. The guy he beat was previously undefeated at 3-0-2.

sanantoniosooner
2/10/2008, 10:40 AM
I don't think that's how he caught his AID.
please refer to it as "fun monkey disease"

MojoRisen
2/10/2008, 10:43 AM
Isn't Magic showing normal or even above average T cells as well?

I don't believe for a minute that TM waited 10 years to find out he had a false positive. Good news is looks like he is cured of that shiate for the time being.

soonerbrat
2/10/2008, 11:10 AM
he sprayed some windex on it

birddog
2/10/2008, 11:29 AM
you're looking really........fit.

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/9326/7821yf0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Animal Mother
2/11/2008, 01:40 PM
As someone who has friends still living that contracted HIV back in 1996, there is no cure. A person's viral load can be so low they term it "asleep" but sure the hell not "cured". There is much more to it than T-cell counts trust me. If there was a cure, the rush by pharmaceutical companies to make a dollar would suck the wind from your lungs.The same wind in reverse from the rush to sell the treatment for HIV. Morrison makes a living getting punched in the head or trying to avoid being punched if you like. He may be tough as leather but I'll take brain over brawn with my breakfast.

OU4LIFE
2/11/2008, 02:02 PM
you eat brains for breakfast?

Mjcpr
2/11/2008, 02:03 PM
You really shouldn't turn your nose up at brawn, it is very healthy for your colon.

OU4LIFE
2/11/2008, 02:05 PM
Pat should know, his colon has seen plenty of brawn

...her colon? it's colon?

Mjcpr
2/11/2008, 02:08 PM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b393/troywatts/PiCS/colonblow_2.png