PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Spring Preview - Analyzing the Big 12

Big Red Ron
3/12/2007, 03:03 AM
http://cfn.scout.com/2/624252.html

Oklahoma (http://cfn.scout.com/2/557831.html) Spring Practice Begins: March 5 Game: April 8
The early spring buzz ... After spending the last few months as the Apollo Creed to Boise State's Rocky, and the program that everyone outside of the greater Norman area rooted against during the Fiesta Bowl, the motivation will be there for the defending Big 12 champions to be even better. Nine starters return on offense, eight come back on defense, and kicker Garrett Hartley might be the best in the nation.
The big spring question is ... Who'll be at quarterback? Running back? More than fine with Allen Patrick, Jacob Gutierrez and Chris Brown returning along with the expected emergence of redshirt freshmen DeMarco Murray and Mossis Madu. Wide receiver? One of the best in the country with Malcolm Kelly and Juaquin Iglesias leading the way. The offensive line should be tremendous. Now a quarterback has to emerge to replace the steady Paul Thompson. Junior Joey Halzle has the practice experience as the number two man last season, but he'll have to fight off Sam Bradford and Keith Nichol for the job. The job is as wide open as it gets.
The most important position to watch is ... Defensive end. Along with quarterback, defensive end will be the biggest issue throughout spring ball after losing Larry Birdine, C.J. Ah You, and Calvin Thibodeaux. While they weren't the pass rushing terrors they were expected to be, they were rock-solid pieces of the Big 12's best defense. The secondary should be excellent with all four starters returning, and they could be dominant if they get help from the pass rush.
Spring attitude... Win the national title. Amazingly, the Sooners might even better even after losing their starting quarterback and soon-to-be NFL superstar Adrian Peterson, and the schedule is tailor-made for a national title run with Miami, Missouri, Oklahoma State and Texas A&M all at home, and the road slate (Tulsa, Colorado, Iowa State and Texas Tech) as light as possible.

OU_Sooners75
3/12/2007, 06:21 AM
Where did you dig that preview up?

Sounds a like the author is a little biased against OU, but had to come to grips with reality, meaning OU has a legit shot at competing for an 8th National Championship!

snp
3/12/2007, 01:18 PM
That is a pretty awful writeup.

Big position battle is RB and WR? Uh, no. Starting RB is set in stone with AP. Every reciever who caught a pass returns. No one in the country could take Malcom's job. I'd love to see Tennel and Gresham become bigger parts of the offense, but they're both stuck behind solid veterans.

Most important position battle is QB, by far. Whole season will come to who can not lose the games.

Where did you dig that preview up?

Dude, there's 1 post. You really can't figure out where Ron found that?

Doged
3/12/2007, 01:32 PM
I don't know about biased against. That's the first preview article I've seen that came right out and stated what we all know is obvious.. that the Sooners are legitimate national title contenders this coming season (and next season as well, depending on how many juniors leave after this season).

The only problem is that the Big12 south as a whole should be back to being one of, if not the, toughest divisions in college football. Even cellar-dwellers Baylor and Okie Lite may have enough to rise above their traditional creampuff status (if only for a season or two).

snp
3/12/2007, 02:01 PM
Baylor was making strides when Bell was there. But Syz won't be able to match what he did for a while. He looked kinda lost out there in several games.

They lose Mosley, who was an underrated RB and don't have a decent backup. Also they lose their top 2 WR. Their defense gave up at least 31 points in their final 7 games.

Baylor will revert back to being a cream puff, which is a shame.

Doged
3/12/2007, 02:08 PM
Baylor was making strides when Bell was there. But Syz won't be able to match what he did for a while. He looked kinda lost out there in several games.

They lose Mosley, who was an underrated RB and don't have a decent backup. Also they lose their top 2 WR. Their defense gave up at least 31 points in their final 7 games.

Baylor will revert back to being a cream puff, which is a shame.

My bad. I thought Baylor had more returning than that, with the only major losses being Bell and that punter with the really long name. Be interesting to see what Guy can do with them now.

goingoneight
3/12/2007, 11:33 PM
http://cfn.scout.com/2/624252.html

Hehe... anyone else notice not a word was said about Texas being a threat? :D Methinks some whorn fans are gonna be pi$$ed!!!

Big Red Ron
3/12/2007, 11:50 PM
That is a pretty awful writeup.

Big position battle is RB and WR? Uh, no. Starting RB is set in stone with AP. Every reciever who caught a pass returns. No one in the country could take Malcom's job. I'd love to see Tennel and Gresham become bigger parts of the offense, but they're both stuck behind solid veterans.

Most important position battle is QB, by far. Whole season will come to who can not lose the games.

Dude, there's 1 post. You really can't figure out where Ron found that?
Wide receiver? One of the best in the country with Malcolm Kelly and Juaquin Iglesias leading the way. The offensive line should be tremendous. Now a quarterback has to emerge to replace the steady Paul Thompson. Junior Joey Halzle has the practice experience as the number two man last season, but he'll have to fight off Sam Bradford and Keith Nichol for the jobDid you read it? Stoops has said there will be a huge battle for the RB rotation. Patrick is a lock but #2 is up for grabs. He referring to the third and fourth wide receivers. We have a stud coming in and Tennel is really coming on strong.

I think it's a pretty fair assessment for this far out. You should have seen the other team's write ups. I think the guy was very fair and clearly gave OU the most positive write up.

Bruiser53
3/12/2007, 11:54 PM
Just looking at that preview, I'm trying to figure out who is supposed to lose next year in the south. Everyone thinks they could be fighting for a Big 12 championship spot. With the north looking stronger than it has in the past 3 or 4 years, Big 12 will make a run at the SEC as best conference overall

goingoneight
3/13/2007, 10:37 PM
HAHA... OSU challenging for the BIG 12 South? :D

Sounds like a Traber wet dream to me.

Howsaboot I bet all my vCash on OU or Tejas winning the South instead? That's an eevn better lock than AD for NFL MVP...

snp
3/13/2007, 11:15 PM
Did you read it? Stoops has said there will be a huge battle for the RB rotation. Patrick is a lock but #2 is up for grabs. He referring to the third and fourth wide receivers. We have a stud coming in and Tennel is really coming on strong.

I think it's a pretty fair assessment for this far out. You should have seen the other team's write ups. I think the guy was very fair and clearly gave OU the most positive write up.

of course I read the 100 word blurb. It's worded (and written) incredibly stupid and that's what I was taking issue with. I'm not calling out prejudice or anything towards us.

RB and WR are not the big spring questions with us. Not by a long shot. QB, DE, DT, LB, Safety, and LT are all much bigger questions.