PDA

View Full Version : Just When You Thought It Was Safe To Go Back Into Wally World

FaninAma
3/10/2007, 11:03 PM
http://www.familyfarmdefenders.org/pmwiki.php/LocalFoodSystems/Wal-MartTheQuintessentialSuburbanNightmare

http://www.wakeupwalmart.com/facts/

http://www.workertimes.com/ltribune/walmart14.html

VeeJay
3/11/2007, 05:19 AM
..and who sponsored the "wakeupwalmart" page?

This, noted at the bottom of the web page:

© 2005 United Food and Commercial Workers International Union.
This site is in no way connected with Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. or any affiliate of Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.

Here's Wal-Mart's site, obviously to answer its critics:

http://www.walmartfacts.com/

Methinks the union is not really concerned about worker's welfare, but rather licking its chops over all those union member dues they're missing out on.

....ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

OUHOMER
3/11/2007, 09:24 AM
OK, I will admit it. I shop at walmart all the time. There i said it. Its out there. deal with it

SoonerBorn68
3/11/2007, 10:07 AM
Don't forget this disgruntled employee's site:

http://www.walmart-blows.com/

The forum is quite funny to read.

tommieharris91
3/11/2007, 01:12 PM
Learn something about economics, then talk to me.

StoopTroup
3/11/2007, 01:18 PM
This is a good too. :D

walmartsucksorg (http://walmartsucksorg.blogspot.com/)

FaninAma
3/11/2007, 01:36 PM
Learn something about economics, then talk to me.

Oh, c'mon. Please enlighten us with your economic brilliance.

And please, rebut the statistics in the links. Can you show they are wrong on their facts?

SoonerBorn68
3/11/2007, 01:44 PM
Everybody sucks!

http://www.cap1sucks.com/

http://targetsucks.blogspot.com/

http://www.retail-sucks.com/modules.php?name=Topics

StoopTroup
3/11/2007, 01:50 PM
I worked at one for about 6 months. It was my 2nd job and I worked 38 hours per week while holding down another job 40 hours per week. It only took about 3 months to figure out just how crazy a SuperStore is. I saw this on the WalmartSucksOrg site.

I would bet that this did truely happen. I saw so many unbelieveable things in such a short time that I would never let one of my own children work there.

Check this one out...

Murder at Wal-Mart

One of our CSM's got murdered / shot in the head in the store on a busy Sat afternoon.(Many familes and children were present). Management knew she was being stalked and her ex boyfriend had threatened to kill her several times.

They were informed each and every time he came in the store. Brilliant management moved the money podium, BECAUSE OF A MEMO, away from the front of the store, where she could see 180 DEGREEES around her, with her back to the wall, to the middle of the friggin candy /softline main aisle , exposing her 360 , so she was looking at back end of the customers and checkouts.

Her stalker was hiding amoung all the clothing racks.

Walmart has the murder on video. Walmart cares more about their stupid memo's than about employees safety. She died within a 10 day period of this brilliant move. Walmart management and Corp policies don't give a damn about people they care about money and whatever dumb new ideas they can think up. (What's this crap about "flights").

They knowlingly put her in an exposed area.

One of the managers of the store, who leans heavily on her help, and can't deal with a crisis alone, called in the HR mgr, who lives 2 hours away, had to help her deal with everything. He came in and helped everyone, management, the victims family, set up a memorial book, tables, helped with the funeral etc. was there for the assoc. p.s. no one saw that manager for weeks. he was the veritable backbone that kept that store going.

OBVIOUSLY THE STORE CLOSED THAT SATURDAY, SINCE IT WAS A CRIME SCENE AND THERE WAS BRAINS AND BLOOD ON THE FLOOR, ETC. SO MANGEMENT SENT EVERYONE HOME. TOLD THEM YOU WILL BE PAID FOR THE DAY. duh!!! WE KNOW ITS NOT YOUR FAULT YOU CAN'T WORK YOUR HOURS. THERE WAS A MURDER!!!!

CORP WALMART DID AN AUDIT THIS YEAR AND FIRED THE HR MANAGER, BECAUSE THE EMPLOYEES WERE PAID FOR THE HOURS MANAGEMENT PROMISED ON THE DAY THE CSM WAS MURDERED.

WHEN CORP DEMANDED TO KNOW WHO AUTHORIZED THE DAYS WAGES. ONE OF THE STORE MANAGERS LIED/ BAILED, AND LEFT THE PERSONNEL MANAGER HANGING IN THE BREEZE. BECAUSE THAT MANAGER DIDN'T BACK UP HER PERSONNEL MANAGER , WALMART FIRED HIM. TOLD HIM HE COULD QUIT OR BE FIRED AFTER 16 YEARS WORKING FOR WALMART. IT WAS HIS ONNNNLLLY JOB REFERENCE.

DON'T TELL ME WALMART CARES ABOUT IT'S EMPLOYEES. IT CARES ABOUT ITS LAST NICKEL IT CAN DRAG OUT OF YOUR DYING HAND.

SoonerBorn68
3/11/2007, 02:00 PM
First let me tell you how i was hurt. All wal-mart stores have a cardboard Baylor and ours was not operating correctly

I wonder if Sic'em knew he went to a cardboard college?

FaninAma
3/11/2007, 02:05 PM
I find it amusing that the defenders of Walmart always argue that people hate Walmart because it is such a successful robber barron...er, company.

They seem to justify unethical business practices as being OK on the grounds that these practices result in cheap prices and makes the company successful.

Forget notions such as taking care of your employess appropriately, or dealing fairly with your suppliers or giving back to the community.

Moral relativism based on economics.....I think it's a plank in the GOP platform, isn't it?

OUHOMER
3/11/2007, 02:26 PM
I am sure wal mart is the only corrupt company out there. Please give me a break. Every company out there will do what ever they need to do to make a buck. Sure most companies will do things to help the employees, heath care, etc. But it comes down to IF YOU DON’T LIKE IT FIND ANOTHER JOB. What’s so hard about that? If nobody wants to work there they would have to change the way they treat their employees

SoonerBorn68
3/11/2007, 02:27 PM
I find it amusing that somebody actually has the time and dedication to waste time posting on the innerweb about a company that has perfected the free enterprise system. The associates who don't like working there should quit. If they "can't" it's because it's the best job available to them. You don't shop there. Kudos for you. I'd offer you a cookie but all I've got is Best Value chocolate chip.

Oh, and I saw this little quote on one of the WMsucks pages:

I STARTED WAL-MART STORE # 1767 IN SHALLOTTE N. C. IN 1993. WORKED THERE 10 YEARS AND WAS DISMISSED WITH 1 OTHER TOP PAYING ASSOCIATE, AND OF COURSE A FEW LOWER PAYING ASSOCIATES, STATING THE CAUSE WAS WE WERE NOT LIVING UP TO COMPANY STANDARDS.

I WON MY UNEMPLOYMENT, SAW A LAWYER, BUT I LIVE IN A "RIGHT TO WORK STATE" WHERE THEY DON'T HAVE TO HAVE A REASON TO FIRE YOU. THEY NOT ONLY FIRED US, THEY MADE IT WHERE WE COULD NEVER WORK AT WALMART AGAIN...WITH THAT KIND OF MONEY COMING IN THEY WILL NEVER SHUT THEIR DOORS. I WAS MAKING 22.00 AN HOUR AND BECAUSE I WOULDN'T GO ON SALARY I WAS FIRED.

$22 a freaking hour at WalMart? I thought every associate was underpaid & shat upon? :confused:

BTW, that's $3344 a month on a 38 hour work week. I think I'd negociated the salary instead of giving up a $40K job.

OhU1
3/11/2007, 02:53 PM
The root of the anti Wal-Mart movement is a dislike of capitalism. No one is forced to shop or work there.

FaninAma
3/11/2007, 03:33 PM
I find it amusing that somebody actually has the time and dedication to waste time posting on the innerweb about a company that has perfected the free enterprise system. The associates who don't like working there should quit. If they "can't" it's because it's the best job available to them. You don't shop there. Kudos for you. I'd offer you a cookie but all I've got is Best Value chocolate chip.

Oh, and I saw this little quote on one of the WMsucks pages:

$22 a freaking hour at WalMart? I thought every associate was underpaid & shat upon? :confused:

BTW, that's $3344 a month on a 38 hour work week. I think I'd negociated the salary instead of giving up a $40K job.

For every $22 an hour associate I can show you 100 underpaid register clerks or stockers that Walmart cheated out of overtime as well as providing them with skimpy or little health insurance. I never had a Walmart employee walk into my office with insurance coverage for his kids. They either paid out of pocket or were covered by Medicaid. I usually wrote off the majority of my charges for kids who's parents worked at Walmart.

http://www.wakeupwalmart.com/downloads/wal-mart-health-care-facts.pdf

So, if in reality the taxpayers should realize that they are picking up a large percentage of the health care of Walmart employees and calculate that into the cost of shopping at Walmart.

SoonerBorn68
3/11/2007, 04:55 PM
You know, you made a choice...apparently you're a doctor. Walmart associates made a choice, they work at Walmart. They have a choice not to work there. Free will...if nobody worked for them they wouldn't have a company right? I'm guessing you take the best job out there--and that's what every one of these associates did. They applied, interviewed, and were hired. Nobody forced them to wear the blue smocks. Maybe they could go work for Mom & Pop for $6.00 an hour & have no benefits or overtime.

Again, I'll be dumb & shop there. You can continue to be high brow & post your "Wally is the debil" threads, and look down your nose to us common folk.

If nothing else you make me want to shop there more, take pics of all the stuff I bought, post them here, and gloat about how many Americans I sent to the gutter today. :rolleyes:

rufnek05
3/11/2007, 06:02 PM
thats funny. i know some fellow college kids that work out there and hate it. they have them working "part time", but they have to work 35-38 hours a week.

Rogue
3/11/2007, 06:26 PM
http://www.wakeupwalmart.com/facts/

Wal-Mart Admits Public Health Care is a “Better Value”

President and CEO Lee Scott said in 2005, "In some of our states, the public program may actually be a better value - with relatively high income limits to qualify, and low premiums." [Transcript Lee Scott Speech 4/5/05]

This must drive some conservatives crazy.

SCOUT
3/11/2007, 09:26 PM
My Father-In-Law worked at Wal-Mart in a pretty basic job about a year ago. He took the job over one at the local high school because Wal-Mart offered much better benefits.

FaninAma
3/11/2007, 10:23 PM
You know, you made a choice...apparently you're a doctor. Walmart associates made a choice, they work at Walmart. They have a choice not to work there. Free will...if nobody worked for them they wouldn't have a company right? I'm guessing you take the best job out there--and that's what every one of these associates did. They applied, interviewed, and were hired. Nobody forced them to wear the blue smocks. Maybe they could go work for Mom & Pop for $6.00 an hour & have no benefits or overtime.

Again, I'll be dumb & shop there. You can continue to be high brow & post your "Wally is the debil" threads, and look down your nose to us common folk.

If nothing else you make me want to shop there more, take pics of all the stuff I bought, post them here, and gloat about how many Americans I sent to the gutter today. :rolleyes:

I'm not looking down my nose at anybody. I just wish that consmers would educate themselves more about who they are doing business with.

Obviously you have no real counter points to the facts presented in the links so you would rather react emotionally. You also act like my disdain for Walmart is a personal attack on you. If you find nothing wrong with shopping at Walmart then what I think of their predatory business practices should not matter....or bother you.

That's fine with me that you like their cheap prices and for you that trumps all of their unethical business practices. Everyone has their priorities.

SoonerGirl06
3/11/2007, 10:27 PM
I'm not looking down my nose at anybody. I just wish that consmers would educate themselves more about who they are doing business with.

Obviously you have no real counter points to the facts presented in the links so you would rather react emotionally. You also act like my disdain for Walmart is a personal attack on you. If you find nothing wrong with shopping at Walmart then what I think of their predatory business practices should not matter....or bother you.

That's fine with me that you like their cheap prices and for you that trumps all of their unethical business practices. Everyone has their priorities.

Can I ask why it is that you have this personal vendetta against Wal-Mart? We've been down this road once before... why do you continue to feel the need to discuss it further?

FaninAma
3/11/2007, 10:37 PM
Can I ask why it is that you have this personal vendetta against Wal-Mart? We've been down this road once before... why do you continue to feel the need to discuss it further?

Let's dispense with the hyperbole. I'm not carrying out a vendetta against Walmart. I'm expressing an opinion on an internet message board designed to allow posters to express opinions.

My posts are not aimed at those people who love Walmart despite being aware of all of their unethical business practices. My posts are aimed at individuals who really haven't considered or heard about Walmart's predatory business practices but who might be individuals who place getting the cheapest price possible a little bit below good business ethics in their personal priority list.

If you are happy shopping at Walmart and love their "everyday low prices" then , as I've stated before, this thread should matter little to you. It certainly shouldn't upset you. I will assure you right now that my one-man posting effort will not deprive any loyal Walmart customers of being able to shop at their favorite retail outlet.

SoonerGirl06
3/11/2007, 10:47 PM
Let's dispense with the hyperbole. I'm not carrying out a vendetta against Walmart. I'm expressing an opinion on an internet message board designed to allow posters to express opinions.

My posts are not aimed at those people who love Walmart despite being aware of all of their unethical business practices. My posts are aimed at individuals who really haven't considered or heard about Walmart's predatory business practices but who might be individuals who place getting the cheapest price possible a little bit below good business ethics in their personal priority list.

If you are happy shopping at Walmart and love their "everyday low prices" then , as I've stated before, this thread should matter little to you. It certainly shouldn't upset you. I will assure you right now that my one-man posting effort will not deprive any loyal Walmart customers of being able to shop at their favorite retail outlet.

Let's dispense with the tone... you were expressing an opinion on a message board and I was simply asking you a question in relation to your opinion.

You're correct... your opinion on the matter is going to do little to change mine. But if you're going to go after "un-ethical" businesses... how about going after others as well? Your continuous attacks against Wal-Mart makes me wonder if it's not something more personal with them.. that's why I asked the question that I did.

SoonerBorn68
3/12/2007, 08:43 AM

So, if I "educated" myself, I'd see things your way and help put Walmart out of business. :rolleyes:

Yeah, it kind of is a personal attack. In our last go around on this subject you kind of pointed out people who shop there were dumb, didn't think, and are helping with the destruction of America...so yeah, it kind of was. And, why do I need links to support my personal economics? If I want to pay higher prices I'll shop where you do. It doesn't bother me that people make poor choices of employment. Walmart didn't impoverish them.

See, here you go again. You are alluding that my priorities are the destruction of the American way by shopping at the big evil Walmart. Look around pal, evey business in America wants to be them. All the national chain stores are like that. Walmart gets the press because they are the biggest.

Why don't you just dispense with a little STFU. Your personal jihad is getting old.

VeeJay
3/12/2007, 08:57 AM
Wal-Mart gets all the bad publicity because they're on top of the mountain. And they're there because they've been able to keep unions out. And that's why they're still on top of the mountain.

All we hear is vendor abuses, employee abuses - everybody is being abused, denied, and enslaved. At the foot of Corporate America. Blah blah blah.

We never hear about Wal-Mart's traditional role in creating efficiencies throughout the supply chain, investments in technology, that other retails chains eventually adapt as the greatest thing since sliced bread. If you want specifics, I'm referring to RFID tagging, automated inventory tracking and re-order metrics, and automated distribution selection and packing. These are all things that have helped drive costs down, rather than running suppliers into the ground and denying healh care coverage for high school kids.

What still amuses me is this incessant hounding on outsourcing jobs to China, when every chain that competes with Wal-Mart would give their left nut to have the sourcing infrastructure Wal-Mart has in place. They all do it; they're just not as good as Wal-Mart is.

frankensooner
3/12/2007, 09:07 AM
I hate Wal Mart. I don't shop there but once or twice a year. I do buy some gardening stuff there as it generally isn't from China. If anyone wants to shop or work there that is their business.

I really like Target. I am sure they do a lot of things the same way Wally World does them, but the stores are generally cleaner, the product is usually better and the service is almost always better. (and the shoppers aren't nearly as scary) I do miss TG&Y and Gibsons though. :(

jk the sooner fan
3/12/2007, 09:16 AM
i'd be curious to know what "trickle down" effects would occur on the national economy if walmart went out of business

i'm thinking the ramfications would be HUGE

oh....and this thread matters very little to me

C&CDean
3/12/2007, 09:26 AM
i'd be curious to know what "trickle down" effects would occur on the national economy if walmart went out of business

i'm thinking the ramfications would be HUGE

oh....and this thread matters very little to me

Really? Then why in the **** are you posting in it?

jk the sooner fan
3/12/2007, 09:39 AM
now dean.....surely you can see that i offered a point of discussion on what would happen to the economy if wal-hell went under

i was simply using fan's own words to state my position on wal-mart

C&CDean
3/12/2007, 09:55 AM
now dean.....surely you can see that i offered a point of discussion on what would happen to the economy if wal-hell went under

i was simply using fan's own words to state my position on wal-mart

now jon.....surely I can see that you just want to stir up a pot of **** like usual

i am simply stating the facts

jk the sooner fan
3/12/2007, 09:57 AM
If you are happy shopping at Walmart and love their "everyday low prices" then , as I've stated before, this thread should matter little to you.

there, straight from Fan himself

i just used his own words to state my opinion on wal-mart

and i asked a hypothetical for discussion......

what would the fall out be if wal-hell went under?

sanantoniosooner
3/12/2007, 10:01 AM
Just how big is the crowd that hates walmart and still shops there?

I can't stand that place, but it's like taking a dump. Just a part of life.

sooner n houston
3/12/2007, 10:03 AM
I for one LOVE Wal-Mart! They bring me many fine goods at excellent prices saving me a lot of money. They employee 1.3 million Americans. When they recently opened a new supercenter here in Liberty, they brought over 100 new jobs to my town. The new WM wasn't even completed before a new strip center and Chilies began building around them.

One of my favorite WM stories is about how the city of Chicago has kept them out because they didn't want the poor citizens of Chicago to have to work those low wage jobs that WM had to offer. So WM opens a store one block outside the city limits and over 5,000 people, mostly from Chicago, applied for thos 300 jobs! Who are the politicans of Chicago really protecting???

It also burns my butt when lib's talk about WM employees being on Gov't subsidised health care. Any one remember why that health care was put out there?

People were complaining because poor people couldn't afford to get off welfare because they would lose their health care. So the politicos made it possible for one to keep their gov't health care and still work an entry level job. So now that people are doing exactly that, everyone blames WM for hiring these people and helping them by giving them an avenue to escape poverty. Some how that makes WM the bad guy because they have employees who are on Gov't health care. When in fact the system is working exactly as the politicans said it should. Until an employee is making a certain income the Gov't helps them by supplyng their health care. As they move up and improve their economic condition, they lose the Gov't insurance and have to "buy" their own.

BigRedJed
3/12/2007, 10:06 AM
...I can't stand that place, but it's like taking a dump. Just a part of life.

I agree.

I shop at Wal-Mart for one reason: I have a Sam's business account, which also works at Wal-Mart. If you see me in there, you can bet I'm buying something for work.

When I shop for personal items, it's Target. Pretty much the same dealio, but I feel less compelled to take a hot shower and douse my hands with hand sanitizers after leaving.

jk the sooner fan
3/12/2007, 10:08 AM
our local wal-mart looks like a damn fiesta mart on the weekends

but the local grocery chains dont come close to comparing on grocery prices, so there is where i shop for groceries

sanantoniosooner
3/12/2007, 10:10 AM
our local wal-mart looks like a damn fiesta mart on the weekends

but the local grocery chains dont come close to comparing on grocery prices, so there is where i shop for groceries
HEB kicks Walmart in the nuts when it comes to groceries down here.

The ONLY reason to buy groceries as Walmart down here is if you are one stop shopping or if they carry something HEB doesn't.

SoonerBorn68
3/12/2007, 10:17 AM
I shop at Walmart to **** off Fan & destroy small town America.

jk the sooner fan
3/12/2007, 10:17 AM
i loved HEB when i lived down there, but normally i shopped at the commissary....and if there was one close, i'd shop there.....but i'm not driving to fort worth for groceries

HEB doesnt exist up here.....just tom thumb (reallly expensive), kroger and albertsons (not much difference between the two)......but prices are just much cheaper at wal-mart, so thats where i go

OhU1
3/12/2007, 12:31 PM
Isn't HEB (Howard E. Butts) expensive like an Albertsons? I'd rather shop at an Albertson's type store myself but I cannot justify paying an extra $1 for the same box of cereal or can of corn I get at Wal-Mart. For fruits, vegs, and meats it's worth it to go to the better store. For commodities it isn't.

By the way Wal-Mart's stock (WMT) has sucked or the last 6 years. I held it for 2 years and got tired of waiting for it to move. Wal-mart stock is like holding a low paying bond.

C&CDean
3/12/2007, 12:35 PM
The problem with America is that all you alleged "guys" are out doing the shopping and even know about this kind of ****.

sanantoniosooner
3/12/2007, 01:48 PM
Isn't HEB (Howard E. Butts) expensive like an Albertsons? I'd rather shop at an Albertson's type store myself but I cannot justify paying an extra $1 for the same box of cereal or can of corn I get at Wal-Mart. For fruits, vegs, and meats it's worth it to go to the better store. For commodities it isn't.

By the way Wal-Mart's stock (WMT) has sucked or the last 6 years. I held it for 2 years and got tired of waiting for it to move. Wal-mart stock is like holding a low paying bond.
HEB is cheaper than walmart. It's not even close in many cases.

SicEmBaylor
3/12/2007, 05:49 PM
I wonder if Sic'em knew he went to a cardboard college?

If that's true then it's very expensive cardboard. Probably corrugated.