PDA

View Full Version : Hills & Trees People: 300 in IMAX

bri
3/9/2007, 10:28 AM
Any of you Tulsey folk want to meet up this weekend at the Cinemark IMAX and see 300 with optional pre- or post- (or both) drinking? I figure since we're Sooners, we won't be doing anything during Selection Sunday...:D

Boomer.....
3/9/2007, 10:32 AM
I'm going tonight to watch it.

picasso
3/9/2007, 10:33 AM
we thought about it but you know that place will be packed tonight.

you guys already bought tix?

bri
3/9/2007, 10:34 AM
Oh hell, not TONIGHT. Either Saturday or Sunday, preferably a matinee so as to try and avoid the idiot high school kids. :D

KC//CRIMSON
3/9/2007, 10:37 AM
I would, but Cinemark is like 250 miles away.......;)

Boomer.....
3/9/2007, 10:37 AM
I'm planning on buying tix on my lunch break.

bri
3/9/2007, 10:41 AM
Good luck, dude. ;)

JohnnyMack
3/9/2007, 10:42 AM
Am I invited?

picasso
3/9/2007, 10:44 AM
Oh hell, not TONIGHT. Either Saturday or Sunday, preferably a matinee so as to try and avoid the idiot high school kids. :D
yes, we were thinking about tomorrowish.

bri
3/9/2007, 10:49 AM
yes, we were thinking about tomorrowish.

Tomorrow-ish would be perfection.

SicEmBaylor
3/9/2007, 10:52 AM
If I wasn't swinging home OKC for two days before I go home then I would seriously consider going.

Jeopardude
3/9/2007, 11:11 AM
...Its digitally tricked-up color scheme, while impressive at times, is hard to tolerate for nearly two hours (true masochists can seek out the Imax version)...

Just throwing it out there.

picasso
3/9/2007, 11:19 AM
digitally tricked color schemes are the rage.

O Brother Where Art Thou.
Private Ryan.
Emanuelle in Space.
Band of Brothers.

just to name a few...

BigRedJed
3/9/2007, 11:25 AM
I would, but Cinemark is like 250 miles away.......;)
Hey bri, Crimson has hills and trees too, you know. Tulsey doesn't have the market cornered on fancy stuff like that. You only have it cornered in Oklahoma.

I will point out that our new river (not the canal) here in OKC has thousands of trees. And unlike the crummy old trees that you guys have, our trees are BRAND NEW.

SoonerAtKU
3/9/2007, 11:29 AM
I'm joining you guys in spirit. Seeing the IMAX version tonight at 7:30 here in the STL.

bri
3/9/2007, 11:34 AM
Hey bri, Crimson has hills and trees too, you know. Tulsey doesn't have the market cornered on fancy stuff like that. You only have it cornered in Oklahoma.

I will point out that our new river (not the canal) here in OKC has thousands of trees. And unlike the crummy old trees that you guys have, our trees are BRAND NEW.

Our trees are in IMAX.

Boomer.....
3/9/2007, 02:08 PM
Well, I was going to see that movie tonight. 7pm and 10pm showings are sold out as well as the 7pm for Saturday. I bought tix for 1:15pm tomorrow.

OUDoc
3/9/2007, 02:15 PM
Well, to be fair, they're next to an OLD river, too. Not like the shiny new Oklahoma River. The hills are probably hand-me-downs from their grandparents as well. ;)

BigRedJed
3/9/2007, 05:20 PM
YES!! That's what I'm talking about, Doc! Now let's tell him about how the shiny new Bricktown Coca-Cola Echo Chamber... ...err... ...Events Center is way better than the crummy old, bouncy floor Cain's Ballroom.

bri
3/9/2007, 05:30 PM
History is for losers! ;)

Hey, don't worry kids. In 50 years, no one will notice how fake and transplanted it all is. :P

BigRedJed
3/9/2007, 05:31 PM
Heh.

sooneron
3/9/2007, 05:33 PM
If I wasn't swinging home OKC for two days before I go home then I would seriously consider going.
YOu realize that this is a guy movie that they're talking about, right?:D

BigRedJed
3/9/2007, 05:35 PM
A guy movie about a bunch of scantily-clad homos who just happened to be kickass warriors. At least he'll have something to appreciate if he goes.

bri
3/9/2007, 05:40 PM
Yeah, I was about to say that he probably heard about the dudity and got that tingly feeling in his mangina that he usually only gets when conservative talk radio hosts cop a feel.

King Crimson
3/9/2007, 05:44 PM
Yeah, I was about to say that he probably heard about the dudity and got that tingly feeling in his mangina that he usually only gets when conservative talk radio hosts cop a feel.

wait, is this a Bill Favor thread?

bri
3/9/2007, 05:54 PM
Oh, good point.

Junior varsity conservative talk radio hosts.

bri
3/10/2007, 12:39 AM
So, is that a "yea" for afternoon IMAX carnage, Pablo?

SicEmBaylor
3/10/2007, 12:48 AM
YOu realize that this is a guy movie that they're talking about, right?:D

It's historically based, that's my justification for wanting to see it.

SicEmBaylor
3/10/2007, 12:50 AM

Bri, I detest conservative talk radio more than you could ever imagine.
I consider every minute not listening to Limbaugh or especially Hannity to be a minute of life not wasted.

King Crimson
3/10/2007, 12:59 AM
I suspect historical accuracy will not be 300's greatest virtue.

SicEmBaylor
3/10/2007, 01:37 AM
I suspect historical accuracy will not be 300's greatest virtue.

Well no...but....

picasso
3/10/2007, 10:45 AM
So, is that a "yea" for afternoon IMAX carnage, Pablo?
nay my man. we have plans for the day.

going to try and see it this evening and yeah, it got another bad review in the TW today.

bri
3/10/2007, 11:26 AM
Oooh, the World didn't like it? I have a hard time taking seriously a publication that panned X-Files: Fight The Future because the destruction of a federal building reminded them too much of the Murrah bombing. I mean, pan it because it SUCKED. ;)

Boarder
3/10/2007, 01:17 PM
300 looks like a video game to me from the previews. I don't think I could stand watching it for long. Please see it and tell me I'm wrong.

bri
3/10/2007, 01:38 PM
Will do. Check back with me tomorrow evening. ;)

Boarder
3/10/2007, 02:11 PM
I have a horrible "Reign Of Fire" feeling.:(

SoonerBBall
3/10/2007, 03:52 PM
Wow. Reign of Fire was badass.

SoonerBBall
3/10/2007, 03:54 PM
Oh, 300 was frickin sweet. Spartan fighting scenes were the best I've seen since the Matrix.

Boarder
3/10/2007, 04:47 PM
Wow. Reign of Fire was badass.
So, you thought both Reign of Fire and 300 were great?

Boomer.....
3/11/2007, 03:00 PM
The movie was bad ***!

SicEmBaylor
3/11/2007, 03:03 PM
I was going to try to see 300 in Norman tonight, but I couldn't get a ticket.

Anyone in Norman have an extra ticket for the pal SicEm tonight?

Otherwise, I might go see Breach.

bri
3/11/2007, 08:25 PM
300 was TEH WIN!!! It actually looked more like a living graphic novel than Sin City did, and the dudity wasn't nearly as prominent as AICN made it out to be.

I did emerge from my screening with much apprehension about Spider-Man 3, though. I fear they've crossed the line into Joel Schumacher Batman territory with villian overload. Venom + Sandman + Hobgoblin Harry = the end of the Golden Age of Comic Book Movies? :(

jk the sooner fan
3/11/2007, 08:35 PM
i watched a documentary on the military history channel about the actual events on which the movie is based.......now i'm curious to see how accurate it is as far as the story

picasso
3/12/2007, 10:37 AM
Oh, 300 was frickin sweet. Spartan fighting scenes were the best I've seen since the Matrix.
only 300's were realistic. I can't get into these movies when the folks are flying and doin flips a such.

we saw 300 @ the AMC Saturday evening. it was pretty frickin sweet.

yeah and I'm with ya Bri, the TW writer expected some serious dialogue and thick emotional plot I guess.
it is what it is. a bloody lifey version of some sick twisted comic book imagery. it was tasty. ESPECIALLY when they brought out the giant.:)

Boomer.....
3/12/2007, 10:43 AM
I didn't understand the whole fictional characters like the giant, huge rhino, penguin looking man with saw hands, etc. especially since it is based on a true story. I guess that is just his inner comic book side coming out.

picasso
3/12/2007, 10:44 AM
I didn't understand the whole fictional characters like the giant, huge rhino, penguin looking man with saw hands, etc. especially since it is based on a true story. I guess that is just his inner comic book side coming out.
I did. it's called fantasy.

I seriously doubt the makers were aiming for total historical accuracy.:)

snp
3/12/2007, 01:37 PM
Even a huge fanboy of antiquity (and espically war epics), I was able to look past the fictional supplements.

And it was the best movie I've ever seen, Absolutely loved it and haven't talked to one person who walked away from the theatres that wasn't blown away by the movie.

Frozen Sooner
3/12/2007, 02:08 PM
It was a decent movie. The cinematography was outstanding. There was a couple of things I had problems with, but overall it was fun. I'd rate it a 7.5 out of 10, and I'll end up owning it when it comes out.

picasso
3/12/2007, 03:32 PM
anyone else feel like it was the Democratic Congress leaving the boys out there on the water's edge, with not much support?:D :D :D

:pop:

Collier11
3/12/2007, 04:44 PM
The historical accuracy was likely off, but it was a GREAT movie in every sense of the word. As for the giants and disfigurements and rhinos and such, while it was likely a stretch, remember that back then they didnt have cures for much and there was rampant disease, incest, and disfigurement. The rhino thing could have been true, who knows, but it is commonly thought that most animals now are a smaller more updated version of the ones from the past so it could be true!!!

Frozen Sooner
3/12/2007, 05:00 PM
The historical accuracy was likely off, but it was a GREAT movie in every sense of the word. As for the giants and disfigurements and rhinos and such, while it was likely a stretch, remember that back then they didnt have cures for much and there was rampant disease, incest, and disfigurement. The rhino thing could have been true, who knows, but it is commonly thought that most animals now are a smaller more updated version of the ones from the past so it could be true!!!

The fantastic elements didn't bother me so much. The story was being told as a narrative, and it's likely the storyteller would embellish things a little bit-like the size of the rhino and the size of the elephants, or the massive deformation of Athieltes.

picasso
3/25/2007, 10:56 PM
watched it again tonight with the brother, IMAX style.

screen is too close for me. you tend to focus on one area rather than the full picture at times. also the seats sucked.

other than that it was lusty and bloody good.:D

SoonerBBall
3/25/2007, 11:15 PM
So, you thought both Reign of Fire and 300 were great?

I don't remember calling either of them great movies. I said 300 was sweet and Reign of Fire was badass. And even if I thought they were great, would it really make a difference concerning your enjoyment (or lack thereof) of either movie? I didn't think so.

If you like to be an uptight critic about movies and go in expecting them to be bad, go for it, you probably won't like 300. On the other hand, if you can appreciate a moive for what it is rather than what it isn't, than you'll probably like it. If you are a comic book or CGI nerd, you'll think it is the best thing that has ever happened to movies.

Okla-homey
3/26/2007, 05:59 AM
good movie. Tip: never trust a hunchback.

Boarder
3/26/2007, 11:48 AM
I don't remember calling either of them great movies. I said 300 was sweet and Reign of Fire was badass. And even if I thought they were great, would it really make a difference concerning your enjoyment (or lack thereof) of either movie? I didn't think so.

If you like to be an uptight critic about movies and go in expecting them to be bad, go for it, you probably won't like 300. On the other hand, if you can appreciate a moive for what it is rather than what it isn't, than you'll probably like it. If you are a comic book or CGI nerd, you'll think it is the best thing that has ever happened to movies.
Calm down there Ebert or Roper. If you think Reign Of Fire is badness then it gives me a reference on what I may think of 300. It's easier to guage people's comments about a movie if you can find out thier comment on a movie you've seen.

dolemitesooner
3/26/2007, 12:30 PM
Calm down there Ebert or Roper. If you think Reign Of Fire is badness then it gives me a reference on what I may think of 300. It's easier to guage people's comments about a movie if you can find out thier comment on a movie you've seen.
YOU OWE ME 5 DOLLARS BITCCCCCEOPNCYE:mad: :D

THREAD JACK

Frozen Sooner
3/26/2007, 01:18 PM
I'm a comic book geek, and I thought the movie was rather poorly written.

I like to think that I can generally appreciate a movie for what it is, rather than what it isn't. What 300 is is a well-shot and directed film with a really weak script.

BigRedJed
3/26/2007, 01:47 PM
Sort of like Titanic, then?

achiro
3/26/2007, 02:26 PM
Oh, I haven't seen that yet, please don't tell me how it ends!

Frozen Sooner
3/26/2007, 03:17 PM

Well, better than Titanic.

Boarder
3/26/2007, 04:44 PM
YOU OWE ME 5 DOLLARS BITCCCCCEOPNCYE:mad: :D

THREAD JACK
No problem, I'll give it to you at the Hornets game last night. OH WAIT! YOU WERE A NO SHOW!!

SoonerBBall
3/29/2007, 12:51 AM

Sorry, my sarcasm-detector was in overdrive that day.

What 300 is is a well-shot and directed film with a really weak script.

Agreed.

Collier11
3/29/2007, 10:08 AM
weak script? I really think some of you arent following the idea behind the movie!

picasso
3/29/2007, 10:28 AM
weak script? I really think some of you arent following the idea behind the movie!
nipples, blood, and men in leather panties. I got it.

I do wish the Spartans had worn their chest armor and the King's helmet would have been more accurate. other than that I liked.

bri
3/29/2007, 11:38 AM
Dude, who needs armor when you've got ABS OF STEEL?!?!

Frozen Sooner
3/29/2007, 11:40 AM

30 minutes of people shouting at each other does not make a great script.

I get the idea behind the movie. I think some of you are making it out to be much more than it is. Which is a really well-directed movie that has a really weak script. Hell, most of the really great lines were stolen from Herodotus.

Collier11
3/29/2007, 11:44 AM
I think it was an amazing film personally. The CGI was unreal, the fighting scenes were great, I enjoyed the story even though it was likely embellished(<---spelled right?), and I enjoyed the format of the living comic book so to speak!

picasso
3/29/2007, 11:45 AM
I'm not making it out to be anything. It was all that I expected. graphic violence, great imagery and very little dialogue.:)

I like how some critics say the characters weren't developed enough. seriously, I read that.:D