PDA

View Full Version : I may get some apricots this yr

olevetonahill
3/9/2007, 09:54 AM
I planted a bunch of trees over the last 5-6 yrs and only a few have survived . the pecans , apple, 2 peach all gotta be replanted .
But that apricot is blooming big time , Now if a ****ing frost dont get it . Ill make me some apricot Jam . Or just eat what the birds and bugs dont get 1st .

SoonerJack
3/9/2007, 10:05 AM
Olevet,

Your main problem, assuming no frost, will be the squirrels.

We used to have an apricot tree in our backyard and my mom would get so frustrated at seeing a tree absolutely loaded with fruit, get eaten by the squirrels.

"We'll have no more of this!" mom declared...so she began a squirrel elimination campaign the likes of which Ada, Oklahoma had never seen. She sat on our back porch (which was screened in), cut a small hole in the screen, and proceeeded to fling lead at the little buggers with my Crossman 760 Powermaster pellet gun.

Now, keep in mind, probably only one squirrel actually met his demise at the hand of her mighty weapon, but it certainly served as a notice to the other squirrels that, as they snacked on the unripened apricots, Norma was a force to be reckoned with. Just not a very mighty force.

Hatfield
3/9/2007, 10:24 AM
growing up we had about 7 apricots trees.

come fourth of july my brother and i would take blackcat firecrackers and push them down into the apriocot replacing the seed with explosive fun.

light it and throw at nearest person and blammo instant mess.

needless to say moms wasn't too happy with her children throwing explosives at each other....and explosives that also stained clothing to boot.

:)

olevetonahill
3/9/2007, 10:39 AM
Olevet,

Your main problem, assuming no frost, will be the squirrels.

We used to have an apricot tree in our backyard and my mom would get so frustrated at seeing a tree absolutely loaded with fruit, get eaten by the squirrels.

"We'll have no more of this!" mom declared...so she began a squirrel elimination campaign the likes of which Ada, Oklahoma had never seen. She sat on our back porch (which was screened in), cut a small hole in the screen, and proceeeded to fling lead at the little buggers with my Crossman 760 Powermaster pellet gun.

Now, keep in mind, probably only one squirrel actually met his demise at the hand of her mighty weapon, but it certainly served as a notice to the other squirrels that, as they snacked on the unripened apricots, Norma was a force to be reckoned with. Just not a very mighty force.

This it the trees 3 rd yr so It should produce ,
Hell I planted all the trees to bring the critters in . I just hope I get to eat a few also .:cool:

MamaMia
3/9/2007, 12:08 PM
I planted a bunch of trees over the last 5-6 yrs and only a few have survived . the pecans , apple, 2 peach all gotta be replanted .
But that apricot is blooming big time , Now if a ****ing frost dont get it . Ill make me some apricot Jam . Or just eat what the birds and bugs dont get 1st .
Net the trees. It will provide warmth and protection from the birds.