PDA

View Full Version : Chris Simon

Ardmore_Sooner
3/9/2007, 02:42 AM
Has anyone seen or heard about this? I know the NHL is rough but this is just messed up. He should be gone for the rest of the year. :pop:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=270308012

soonerboomer93
3/9/2007, 02:49 AM
Not as bas as the Bertuzzi one, but yeah, he should be gone for the year

Ardmore_Sooner
3/9/2007, 02:56 AM
I'd take a punch to the back of the head to a hockey stick in the throat any day of the week.

HoserSooner
3/9/2007, 08:44 AM
Simon used to be a goon, but over the years has tried to be more of a finesse player. When he played for Colorado years ago, he resembled the indian dude from Slap Shot, and if I'm not mistaken, led the league in penalty minutes.

This is worse than the Bertuzzi incident by far. Bertuzzi punched a guy in the back of the head. Simon swatted a guy in the chicklets with his stick. He won't see the ice for the rest of the year, and it wouldn't surprise me if he is out for a good chunk of next year as well.

soonerboomer93
3/9/2007, 08:50 AM
Bertuzzi attacked from behind, and ended a guys career

The guy Simon hit saw what was coming and will play on Saturday

no comparison imho

HoserSooner
3/9/2007, 09:12 AM
Bertuzzi attacked from behind, and ended a guys career

no comparison imho

Injury wise I agree. Moore is still trying to come back.

The vicousness of the attack though (using the stick is a big no-no) is far worse. This will rival the McSorely suspension when he smacked Brashear a few years back.

colleyvillesooner
3/9/2007, 10:08 AM
Injury wise I agree. Moore is still trying to come back.

The vicousness of the attack though (using the stick is a big no-no) is far worse. This will rival the McSorely suspension when he smacked Brashear a few years back.

Yep. He goes a few inches higher or lower and he is probably banned.

GrapevineSooner
3/9/2007, 10:38 AM
I heard about this on Mike and Mike this morning but haven't seen the incident.

I will say this in general about cheap shots and thuggery in hockey. The NHLPA is going to have to take the lead on this issue. Otherwise, the problem will still exist.

colleyvillesooner
3/9/2007, 11:07 AM
I heard about this on Mike and Mike this morning but haven't seen the incident.

I will say this in general about cheap shots and thuggery in hockey. The NHLPA is going to have to take the lead on this issue. Otherwise, the problem will still exist.

here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLmon0XoH3I

http://www.hockeyfights.com/

GrapevineSooner
3/9/2007, 12:00 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking Simon should probably sit for at least the rest of the regular season.

There's no excuse for swinging your stick in that manner.

Ever.

Of course, I think the Rag he hit kind of shoved Simon into the boards from behind. Which is another discussion altogether.

Still doesn't excuse Simon's actions. On top of that, the Rangers scored the eventual game winning goal on the ensuing power play.

King Crimson
3/9/2007, 12:15 PM
Simon is like 100 years old. gotta be. he was on the first Av Stanley Cup team, that was like 96 or something.

Scott D
3/9/2007, 01:46 PM
As of now Simon is suspended indefinitely. For all of Bettman's faults as a commissioner, he does respond to these incidents quickly and doesn't back down on them. It's probably relatively safe to say Simon's career is over within a year if not now.

John Kochtoston
3/9/2007, 03:54 PM
Holliweg's hit was borderline two minutes roughing/boarding. Doesn't give Simon any excuse to do his Samurai hockey player impression. Should be run for the season.

Course, I'm in favor of anything that might cost the Isles' points in the standings.

HoserSooner
3/9/2007, 04:23 PM
As of now Simon is suspended indefinitely. For all of Bettman's faults as a commissioner, he does respond to these incidents quickly and doesn't back down on them. It's probably relatively safe to say Simon's career is over within a year if not now.

It's too bad too, because Simon had turned himself into a pretty decent forward, leaving his goon role behind him.

I agree, I don't seem him back in the league ever. This is on par with the McSorely/Brashear incident, and Marty got half a season I believe? Never played again. And Simon is no spring chicken.

GrapevineSooner
3/9/2007, 04:40 PM
I'm sure the Islanders have somebody in the minors they can call up to fill Simon's role. They'll still make the playoffs.

The Rangers will not.

Scott D
3/9/2007, 05:02 PM
I'm sure the Islanders have somebody in the minors they can call up to fill Simon's role. They'll still make the playoffs.

The Rangers will not.

Unless Boston can manage to keep winning, Detroit is going to be the only O6 team to make the playoffs this year.

HoserSooner
3/9/2007, 09:23 PM
Unless Boston can manage to keep winning, Detroit is going to be the only O6 team to make the playoffs this year.

Montreal ain't going to do it with their goaltending issues.

If Toronto gets in, it'll be a freaking miracle. Key players that have been on the IR since Christmas are coming back in the lineup, so that may give them a shot. The schedule though is brutal, but the majority of them are against the teams they are fighting for a playoff spot with.

Islanders are in. Last spot goes to the best of the worst (Toronto, Carolina, Rangers, Boston, Montreal, and even Florida).

John Kochtoston
3/9/2007, 09:26 PM
Gotta remember, the Rangers have at least one game in hand on every team within striking distance, except Boston. Getting Weeks back and allowing Lundquist a rest may help some too.

HoserSooner
3/9/2007, 09:42 PM
Gotta remember, the Rangers have at least one game in hand on every team within striking distance, except Boston. Getting Weeks back and allowing Lundquist a rest may help some too.

They have as good a shot as any of the remaining teams.

If Renny can get Jagr to play instead of pout, they have a good shot. Problem is, that #8 playoff spot is going to be the sacrifical lamb to Buffalo. Sabres beat any of the 5-6 teams fighting for a playoff spot in 5 games at the most.

Scott D
3/9/2007, 11:08 PM

The fact that Sather threw in the towel last week didn't help matters for them. Problem is they'll probably follow up the big win against the Islanders by losing their next 3.

John Kochtoston
3/10/2007, 05:13 PM
Problem is they'll probably follow up the big win against the Islanders by losing their next 3.

They're working on it, that's for damn sure. Another two-goal lead blown in the third period. That makes about 37 on the season. At least they got A point and Boston got thumped. Sun v. Carolina will determine a whole lot.

sooneron
3/10/2007, 05:23 PM

You're friggin crazy. there's no way he saw THAT coming.

85Sooner
3/10/2007, 05:29 PM
Holliweg's hit was borderline two minutes roughing/boarding. Doesn't give Simon any excuse to do his Samurai hockey player impression. Should be run for the season.

Course, I'm in favor of anything that might cost the Isles' points in the standings.

Yeah, I don't think I would have made a call on that hit. He was traveling at an angel to the boards and checked simons left shoulder/side. He did not attempt to direct him into the boards IMO.

The assault afterwards deserves a big fine and a rest of the season suspension including a playoff suspension should they make the playoffs.

GrapevineSooner
3/11/2007, 10:57 AM
Yeah, I don't think I would have made a call on that hit. He was traveling at an angel to the boards and checked simons left shoulder/side. He did not attempt to direct him into the boards IMO.
Wrong. He hit from behind and into the boards with enough force that Islander doctors said Simon suffered a concussion. Hence the reason he couldn't fly to Toronto for the hearing with Colin Campbell.

What Simon did is indefensible. But Hollweg isn't completely innocent here. And he's not the only player in the NHL whose made a habit of not hitting guys when they're in a vulnerable position like this.

Mixer!
3/11/2007, 01:18 PM
So how soon before Simon is skating in the CHL? ;)

John Kochtoston
3/11/2007, 06:13 PM
Wrong. He hit from behind and into the boards with enough force that Islander doctors said Simon suffered a concussion. Hence the reason he couldn't fly to Toronto for the hearing with Colin Campbell.

What Simon did is indefensible. But Hollweg isn't completely innocent here. And he's not the only player in the NHL whose made a habit of not hitting guys when they're in a vulnerable position like this.

Yeah, but he also followed the puck into the wall. Not entirely his fault that Simon didn't turn to play the puck. Like I said, a borderline two minutes. Concussion may also be beacuse the boards in Nassau SUCK, and they bounced back and hit Simon in the head.

John Kochtoston
3/11/2007, 06:21 PM
So how soon before Simon is skating in the CHL? ;)

Problem is, Simon also has skill and talent, in addition to being a goon. They'll have none of that in the CHL, thank you. :D

Mixer!
3/11/2007, 06:33 PM
Eh, maybe the U-HauL will take him, since they're such a reputable league. ;)

Scott D
3/12/2007, 12:30 PM
congrats to Simon for having the longest actual game suspension in NHL history. Bertuzzi's technically would have been longer, except for that whole not playing a year thing.

It's also no coincidence that it's all been downhill for Simon since he decided to cut the hair.