PDA

View Full Version : Outsourcing Health Care

Chuck Bao
3/8/2007, 10:23 AM
This was bound to happen. And, as soon as US insurance companies get into the one-eighth cost of medical procedures in Thailand, this whole outsourcing thing will probably further accelerate.

I can't afford the hospital, Bumrungrad, named in this article. My own hospital also specializes in treating foreigners, but it isn't so expensive.

I interviewed an executive of Bumrungrad Hospital about ten years ago and he said that they are so keen on servicing the expatriate community that they have ambulances waiting outside of the major international schools.

They also used to have a McDonalds restaurant in their posh lobby. The article doesn't mention that.

But seriously, a US$1,500 round trip airfare is more than made up by the savings. I don't know about back surgery, but I've heard of many people flying to Thailand for dental work and enjoying recovery in one of the major seaside resorts and still coming out ahead.

This is the Reuters article.

By Rosalind Russell

BANGKOK, March 7 (Reuters) - When June Flowers woke up in her small Ohio town one winter's morning, unable to move because of back pain, she never dreamt she would fly to the other side of the world to undergo surgery that she couldn't afford at home.

One of 40 million Americans with no health insurance, the part-time cashier who had never been outside the United States became a "medical tourist" to a hospital with a strange-sounding name in the Thai capital, Bangkok, a city she knew nothing about.

"When we think of Asia, we think of run-down huts, poverty and disease," said Flowers, 47.

Few places could dispel that image more forcefully than Bumrungrad International, a luxurious hospital with a Starbucks in the lobby and an Italian restaurant upstairs.

From the graceful receptionists in tailored silk suits to the plush carpets and spacious rooms -- everything is designed to give the hospital the look and feel of a five-star hotel.

Unable to pay the $30,000 that U.S. surgeons would charge to operate on her herniated disc, Flowers had spent more than three years trying to keep the pain at bay with chiropractic treatments and cortisone injections.

Watching the "60 Minutes" television show in 2005, she learned about Bumrungrad, where most of the doctors are Western trained but the cost of treatment is about one eighth of that in the United States. It was a daunting but tempting prospect.

"My son said to me 'Mom, don't you know that's a third world country?'. But the surgery there cost just $3,500. I knew right then I had to go."

Thailand, famous for its beaches, temples and nightlife, is a leading destination for medical tourism.

Bumrungrad offers everything from heart bypass surgery to chemotherapy and breast enlargement procedures. It treated 450,000 foreign patients last year -- more than any other
hospital in the world.

Competition is strong from the Apollo Hospitals group in India, which is also courting Americans looking for cost savings and Europeans unhappy with long waiting times at home.

Health care could soon follow the flight of manufacturing, services and software development to the developing world where a lower cost of living translates to cheaper treatment, said Ruben Toral, Bumrungrad's marketing director.

"We believe that medical tourism will eventually lead to medical outsourcing," Toral told Reuters. "Your corporation, your insurer, your government could send you here for surgery and make
significant savings."

Meanwhile, individuals are already outsourcing their own health care and encouraging friends and family to do the same in a word-of-mouth market.

"This is where all my family will come now. If there is a problem, we will come here," said Mariam Taqi, a 62-year-old Kuwaiti woman receiving treatment for leukaemia at Bumrungrad.

Like most patients, Taqi said she was impressed by the service in a country known for its gentle hospitality. "The nurses are so kind and sweet. Nothing is too much trouble."

Unsurprisingly, this potential revolution is not going down well with the medical establishment in the West.

"When I told my doctor we were thinking about going to Thailand, he said he had serious concerns about the cleanliness of the place and the dearth of expertise. He refused to give me handover notes," 61-year-old Sherry Pinckley said.

Pinckley, from an Alaskan fishing village, decided to go anyway, and had both her knees replaced at a cost of $10,000 per knee in February -- less than one fifth of the price for the same surgery at home.

"The joke is that this is the cleanest hospital I've ever seen," said Pinckley, lying in bed in her spotless private room.

The Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons has expressed alarm about the phenomenon it calls "scalpel tourism", often driven by agents who offer a package of flights, hotel accommodation, surgery and sightseeing.

It says its members are seeing more and more patients after botched cosmetic surgery jobs in countries such as Thailand. They say patients are often not told about the risks and have no
recourse if things go wrong.

"When I get involved it's usually been an absolute disaster," said Dr Anand Deva, a Sydney plastic surgeon.

One of Deva's patients is a woman in her 50s who went to Bumrungrad for a breast lift and tummy tuck. Five days after the operation and already discharged from hospital, she developed an infection in her abdomen and left breast.

Doctors at Bumrungrad offered to readmit her but she had to foot the bill. Her confidence in the hospital lost, her budget already spent, "She got on an international flight, very sick, with weeping wounds in the tummy and breast," Deva said.

The woman was admitted immediately to a Sydney public hospital to treat the potentially fatal infection. After several rounds of revisional surgery, she still has horrific scarring.

"If you operate on someone and things go wrong you need to deal with the consequences," said Deva, a senior lecturer in plastic surgery at the University of New South Wales.

"It's very convenient if there is a major complication to stick the patient on an aeroplane and send them somewhere else."

But Bumrungrad, Asia's first internationally accredited hospital, denies that patients are "trading down" to a lower quality of care to save money.

"Highlighting an isolated case, like this, misses the point entirely and plays into a stereotype that foreign doctors or hospitals are inferior," Toral said.

June Flowers was so happy with her treatment that a year after her first operation she came back for a hysterectomy. She even made time for a little sightseeing with her sister.

"You don't realise it's a hospital. It's like you're there for vacation," Flowers said from her home in Huron, Ohio

OklahomaTuba
3/8/2007, 10:28 AM
If you like government health care, check out Walter Reed, I hear they do a bang-up job these days.

OUstudent4life
3/8/2007, 10:54 AM
U.S. insurance companies are starting to offer MAJOR deals for people to get high-cost medical care outside the US...it actually saves them money, even by paying for the plane ticket and a hotel stay to recover, plus meals.

OCUDad
3/8/2007, 11:33 AM
"When I get involved it's usually been an absolute disaster," said Dr Anand Deva, a Sydney plastic surgeon.

--Am I the only one who sees irony in this statement?

OklahomaTuba
3/8/2007, 01:46 PM
Just make sure to stay away from the hospitals here:

NARATHIWAT, Thailand (AFP) - Suspected Islamic separatists have killed three people in Thailand’s restive south, including one man they beheaded and set alight, police said Wednesday.

The 53-year-old rubber tapper was beheaded Wednesday in Yala, police said, one of three Muslim-majority provinces along the Malaysian border hit by a worsening insurgency that has killed about 2,000 people in three years.

The man’s head was left in the middle of the street, about one kilometre (half a mile) from the charred remains of his body, police Lieutenant Mit Khunchum told AFP.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070307/wl_asia_afp/thailandsouthunresttoll_070307082754

Hamhock
3/8/2007, 01:53 PM
rubber tapper? is that an occupation?

Chuck Bao
3/8/2007, 02:24 PM
Tuba, that's like literally a thousand miles from Bangkok.

Separatist violence is largely contained in the three southernmost provinces and that's out of Thailand's total of about 76 provinces.

They're using classic terrorist tactics to drive all remaining Buddhists and those favoring a peaceful solution out of the three provinces through horrific crimes against a select few and almost daily random terrorist attacks.

Tourists need never to go there. And, there is no reason to unless you're passing through going to Malaysia.

Chuck Bao
3/8/2007, 02:26 PM
rubber tapper? is that an occupation?

You know, collecting the resin from rubber trees. Thailand is the world's biggest producer of natural rubber, or it was a couple of years ago.

jen_gibbs
3/17/2007, 03:16 PM
This medical tourism thing is happening!!

My sister badly needed hip resurfacing surgery but couldn't afford it in the US as she didn't have insurance.. Besides, it was approved only recently in the US and the surgeons here are still not trained in the procedure.. She went to India a couple of months back for her treatment and returned home happily - her illness treated.. And all this at a fraction of the cost in the US.. She hooked up with a medical tourism facilitator called Healthbase (http://www.healthbase.com).. They helped her find the right hospital and arranged her medical itinerary and everything else that was required.. They even got her medical loan approved..

jk the sooner fan
3/17/2007, 03:18 PM
tuba - dont confuse the actual care at Walter Reed with the facilities

SicEmBaylor
3/17/2007, 03:19 PM
The care at Walter Reed, by all accounts, was top notch and excellent. The facilities were the problem as JK said.

That being said, I am not a fan of government operated hospitals in any capacity be by the army, VA, or other.

Zbird
3/17/2007, 08:54 PM
You know, collecting the resin from rubber trees. Thailand is the world's biggest producer of natural rubber, or it was a couple of years ago.

Hmmmmmm............ and all this time I thought someone had set up a black market smegma pipeline. :D