PDA

View Full Version : Arcade Fire

Octavian
3/8/2007, 10:21 AM
They've been around a couple years now but I haven't taken the time to get into them yet.

Seem really talented though....pretty distinguishable sound.

Is Neon Bible as good as Funeral? Im looking to download some stuff but I dont want a whole album yet...but I'd like a good place to start looking.

Which singles would be the best to get me started?

TIA

King Crimson
3/8/2007, 10:48 AM
I have no sympathy for someone who won't download a whole record. I'm not in the Arcade Fire rules the planet subset....and there are those. they are OK.

singles mentality=weak sauce.

Neon Bible is also the name of John Kennedy Toole's unfinished novel. (author of Confederacy of Dunces).

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/8/2007, 11:07 AM
Just go ahead and buy Funeral. The whole thing. Listen to it the way it was intended to be listened to.

It's a beautiful album. You'll love it.

Mjcpr
3/8/2007, 11:33 AM
I fast forwarded through them on last week's SNL, what do you want to know?

Octavian
3/8/2007, 11:53 AM
I have no sympathy for someone who won't download a whole record.

good thing I wasn't looking for your sympathy or your opinions on how others should choose to spend their own money to listen to music.

If I ever do start a such a thread, I hope you chime in.

Neon Bible is also the name of John Kennedy Toole's unfinished novel. (author of Confederacy of Dunces).

wow, that's good to know though

Octavian
3/8/2007, 11:54 AM
Just go ahead and buy Funeral. The whole thing. Listen to it the way it was intended to be listened to.

It's a beautiful album. You'll love it.

Thank you.

I think I'll do that. :D

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/8/2007, 11:55 AM
It really is very pretty. And please let us know what you think after you've given it a good listen ot two.

yermom
3/8/2007, 12:03 PM
I have no sympathy for someone who won't download a whole record. I'm not in the Arcade Fire rules the planet subset....and there are those. they are OK.

try riding in the car with people like that :mad:

it seems like the singles people can't even get through a whole song after a while :eek:

of course these are the same people that buy the CD for one song and only listen to that one...

back to the original topic... what is this band like? i guess i may check them out

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/8/2007, 12:08 PM
They're arty, they're a little experimental...you'll hear tiny pieces of jazz, some classical...sometimes a little nova...many layers...

Good band. I like 'em, anyway.

King Crimson
3/8/2007, 12:10 PM
i'm sorry Octavian, i was kind of being a dick. though i'm not a singles mentality person.

I admit it.

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/8/2007, 12:15 PM
The way we get our music today makes it very easy to get away from listening to an antire album the way it was intended to be listened to. I've got a jillion songs but I ALWAYS listen to the entire disc before I dump it into a playlist. You have to...it's a shame not to...

Unless you're listening to crap. And then you can cut up the crap into turds and listen to it any way you want to - it really doesn't matter.

But this is only my way of thinking, of course. You people feel free to do whatever you want to...just listen to stuff. It's good for the soul.

King Crimson
3/8/2007, 12:17 PM
the medium is the message (sort of).

i just can't like a band unless they can make a good record.

one song is nothing to me: unless it's ? and the Mysterions "96 Tears", possibily the greatest rock song ever that wasn't recorded by the Troggs or Jimi Hendrix.

Jeopardude
3/8/2007, 02:29 PM
An Arcade Fire song came on the shuffle and for a moment I thought it was "On The Dark Side" by John Cafferty and The Beaver Brown Band.

That's not a plus for me.

dolemitesooner
3/22/2007, 11:04 AM
I bought Neon bible last inght after talking to yet another freind of mine who told me to buy it.

I have listend to it twice now. First of all I will say that I do like the album. It is very very VERY VERY DARK.

The lead singer sounds like the guy from the Cure. I would also say that this album must sound differnt from the first because I did not hear a lot of variety through it. I will give an update song by song after I listen to it one more time.

Octavian
3/22/2007, 11:24 AM
i'm sorry Octavian, i was kind of being a dick. though i'm not a singles mentality person.

I admit it.

whoa, I missed this.

No big deal, man. I was too.

Octavian
3/22/2007, 11:26 AM
It really is very pretty. And please let us know what you think after you've given it a good listen ot two.

You all were right! I downloaded Funeral in full and I really like it a lot.

Good stuff.

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/22/2007, 11:35 AM
I KNEW IT!!!

:D

mdklatt
3/22/2007, 11:35 AM
The way we get our music today makes it very easy to get away from listening to an antire album the way it was intended to be listened to.

But how many bands actually write albums as opposed to a bunch of songs that happen to be released at the same time?

I guess I have a singles mentality. With very few exceptions, I don't even pay attention to song lyrics. I don't care if an album tells a story or not. If the music is simplistic, derivative, poorly executed, or otherwise just sucks I don't give a rat's *** how witty the lyrics are, what the message of the song is, or how much personality the band has.

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/22/2007, 11:39 AM
But how many bands actually write albums as opposed to a bunch of songs that happen to be released at the same time?

I guess I have a singles mentality. With very few exceptions, I don't even pay attention to song lyrics. I don't care if an album tells a story or not. If the music is simplistic, derivative, poorly executed, or otherwise just sucks I don't give a rat's *** how witty the lyrics are, what the message of the song is, or how much personality the band has.

Which is exactly why I said all that stuff up there about cutting the crap into turds.

It really doesn't matter - as long as you enjoy it and it makes you happy. That's what I think, anyway.

mdklatt
3/22/2007, 11:46 AM
It really doesn't matter - as long as you enjoy it and it makes you happy. That's what I think, anyway.

I don't how some people can think some music is objectively better than other music. Short of it being off-key or something, it all comes down to personal taste. What makes music "good" or "bad"?

yermom
3/22/2007, 11:52 AM
I don't how some people can think some music is objectively better than other music. Short of it being off-key or something, it all comes down to personal taste. What makes music "good" or "bad"?

just keep listening to KJ and let the music people talk, ok?

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/22/2007, 11:56 AM

I have a hard time getting into this. It's like you said - it's totally objective. I love My Morning Jacket and I think it's musically very good. They're all very talented musicians and they make music that I love to listen to. It appeals to me. It makes me feel good to hear it. I feel it when I hear it.

Fugue may listen to it and go 'that is some crap right there'...not because he's got a superior ear or anything...but because he listens to more technical music. It might not be his thing.

So I guess I can't answer you. I just like what I like...just like everyone else.

OUAndy1807
3/22/2007, 12:41 PM
Arcade Fire are ok, but do yourself a favor and get the new Menomena album.

Frozen Sooner
3/22/2007, 12:43 PM

Easy.

If I like it, it's objectively good.

If I dislike it, it's objectively bad.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the Arcade Fire. However, they do have the kind of sound that grows on me after repeated listenings, so I may end up liking them later.

mdklatt
3/22/2007, 12:45 PM
I have a hard time getting into this. It's like you said - it's totally objective.

I think you're mixing up subjective and objective? :confused:

That wasn't directed specifically at you, BTW, just a general point for discussion.

mdklatt
3/22/2007, 12:45 PM
just keep listening to KJ and let the music people talk, ok?

Pfft. KJ music is objectively bad. :D

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/22/2007, 12:47 PM
I think you're mixing up subjective and objective? :confused:

Yeah - I did. Sorry.

Carry on.

Fugue
3/22/2007, 12:57 PM
Bubbles is right. I listen to Bach a lot because it is the pinnacle of all music for all time and because I enjoy the overwhelming onslaught of intricate polyphony(sp?). This doesn't mean I don't enjoy some of the lesser music that you folks listen to. Shoot, I was a metalhead for a long time.

To each their own just don't tell me you don't like any music. That creeps me out.

mdklatt
3/22/2007, 01:00 PM
Shoot, I was a metalhead for a long time.

Lots of metal is intricately constructed and well-executed, like a symphony. I love music with lots of things going on.

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/22/2007, 01:04 PM
The stuff Fugue listens to is electric classical.

Classical Bach is one of metal's daddies.

Good metal, that is.

Fugue
3/22/2007, 01:34 PM
Lots of metal is intricately constructed and well-executed, like a symphony. I love music with lots of things going on.

If you are patient and willing to study it a little, you would absolutely love Bach.

Fugue
3/22/2007, 01:38 PM
The stuff Fugue listens to is electric classical.

Classical Bach is one of metal's daddies.

Good metal, that is.

Yes. :D

I was looking in Guitar World this month and Steve Morse has composed a piece based on Bach chorales. It's awesome. Very very old music but also timeless.

dolemitesooner
3/22/2007, 02:35 PM
Bach stands for

BAD *** CUCKING hEONCYE

(FYI :THATS A GOOD THING)

Fugue
3/22/2007, 02:41 PM

mdklatt
3/22/2007, 03:02 PM
If you are patient and willing to study it a little, you would absolutely love Bach.

Who says I don't? I like classical music. The kind that rawks, anyway.

Fugue
3/22/2007, 03:04 PM

I say you don't, Bach is Baroque not Classical. :D ;)

dolemitesooner
3/22/2007, 03:13 PM
You listen to your hard **** and we will listen to our soft girly ****

Xstnlsooner
3/22/2007, 03:16 PM
I think GOOD music is an indispensable part of life and I listen to
all kinds of music, depending upon the mood I'm in or the mood
I want to set. Music is POWERFUL!! And there's nothing like LIVE
music, jazz (which rarely happens in Tulsa), rock or classical.
I like to watch the crowd while I listen...

dolemitesooner
3/22/2007, 03:18 PM
I think GOOD music is an indispensable part of life and I listen to
all kinds of music, depending upon the mood I'm in or the mood
I want to set. Music is POWERFUL!! And there's nothing like LIVE
music, jazz (which rarely happens in Tulsa), rock or classical.
I like to watch the crowd while I listen...
I agree

mdklatt
3/22/2007, 03:37 PM
You listen to your hard **** and we will listen to our soft girly ****

**** YEAH.

yermom
3/22/2007, 03:37 PM

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/3909/Pictures/basstone.gif

Skid Row did rock pretty hard

Fugue
3/22/2007, 03:51 PM
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/3909/Pictures/basstone.gif

Skid Row did rock pretty hard

I'll pretend I didn't see this. :texan:

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/22/2007, 03:52 PM
I won't.

Fugue
3/22/2007, 03:53 PM
Me f'n too.

Thatta kid.

dolemitesooner
3/22/2007, 03:55 PM
I'll pretend I didn't see this. :texan:

Frozen Sooner
3/22/2007, 04:14 PM
Bach is straight up geek music.

And I mean that in a really good way. Something about fugues really speaks geek.

I love Bach.

Beef
3/22/2007, 05:11 PM
Funeral is one of the best album's I've ever listened to and I hear new things and it gets better with each listen.
Doleo's right on the money about Neon Bible. Maybe I agree with the dark part because I was in the hospital when I listened to it. I'm sure it will grow on me th way Funeral did/does. They are a very quirky band. Definitely not for everyone.

Octavian
3/22/2007, 06:24 PM
Funeral is one of the best album's I've ever listened to and I hear new things and it gets better with each listen.

me too...I think I've liked it more each day since I've had it.

Doleo's right on the money about Neon Bible. Maybe I agree with the dark part because I was in the hospital when I listened to it. I'm sure it will grow on me th way Funeral did/does. They are a very quirky band. Definitely not for everyone.

I didn't really think it was that dark. "Keep the Car Running" is pretty upbeat. Bible seems really melodic and often goes back and forth. But it's definitely "sad rock" but that's kinda what I dig I guess....certainly not for everyone.

yermom
3/22/2007, 06:26 PM
cheer up emo kid

Octavian
3/22/2007, 06:30 PM
cheer up emo kid

if by emo you mean Counting Crows, Coldplay, Smashing Pumpkins, etc....then you're right.

and PadTai just called....they haven't seen you today and they're gettin' worried ;)

yermom
3/22/2007, 06:41 PM
that was a bad guess pal :)

Fugue
3/22/2007, 07:21 PM
Bach is straight up geek music.

And I mean that in a really good way. Something about fugues really speaks geek.
I love Bach.

:mad: