PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite OU basketball moment?

Sooner24
3/8/2007, 01:16 AM
Mine would have to be not a single moment but one that was spread out over three days. 1990 when we beat #1 Missouri on Saturday 107-90 then turned around and beat the new #1 team, Kansas, on Monday night 100-78.
We not only beat those two teams but beat them silly. To this day nobody has beaten the #1 back-to-back and probably never will. I have never heard the LNC as loud as it was at those two games.

LittleWingSooner
3/8/2007, 01:22 AM
I'm trying to remember some buzzer beaters those usually stick out.

Tubbs didn't have a lot of those because his teams usually won easily. But the moment for Tubbs is against Missouri when he went over the PA.

Beating Arizona in 99.

Hollis Price against Tech even though the clock helped us.

I'm thinking that Jameel Heywood had a big last second shot against someone. Maybe Missouri?

King Crimson
3/8/2007, 04:31 AM
I'm trying to remember some buzzer beaters those usually stick out.

Tubbs didn't have a lot of those because his teams usually won easily. But the moment for Tubbs is against Missouri when he went over the PA.

Beating Arizona in 99.

Hollis Price against Tech even though the clock helped us.

I'm thinking that Jameel Heywood had a big last second shot against someone. Maybe Missouri?

Jameel had the big putback against MU. i think that was the last time we won in Columbia. 99?

Mizzou 90. 'cause i drove overnight with a buddy from LA (talked him into it) from Colorado....we scalped tickets and went right into the game. hadn't been in Norman for half an hour...parked at my mom's house.

the OU-UNLV games with Billy and Tark were spectacles. and we won most of them.

OU-Maryland. Dad blows off a hoity toity Christmas party in North OKC, gets in hot water with his wife, takes his son fresh off the plane to watch the Sooners blow out Lonny Baxter, Juan Dixon, Steve Blake, Chris Wilcox and the future NCAA champs at the LNC. having a couple brews and a pastrami sandwich at the Library, checking the ESPN highlights with the rest of America afterwards was the proverbial Auerbach cigar.

OU beats UC-Irvine at the LNC to go to the NIT Final Four. that was big.

OU_Sooners75
3/8/2007, 05:50 AM
1988...OU beats the **** out of Arizona to make it to the Finals....

Worst, has to be KU (which we destroyed the previous 3 times that year) and Danny Manning winning the MVP of teh Tourney!

Big Red Ron
3/8/2007, 09:34 AM
A long moment but a moment indeed, averaging 100 points a game for three straight seasons from about 1886-89.

A ton of games when Hollis Price was here. If it weren't for Hollis, Sampson's entire career at OU would be known for one and Done in the NCAA tourny.

LittleWingSooner
3/8/2007, 09:55 AM
Hollis Price didn't play well due to injury in his last tourney, yet we went to the Elite 8. Aaron McGee was the key to the Final 4 not Price. Also we went to the Sweet 16 without Price.

Jeopardude
3/8/2007, 11:20 AM
i think that was the last time we won in Columbia. 99?

You forgot the Drew Lavender dribble the length of the floor and lay it up with 0.1 seconds left and then the team sprinting off the court to the locker room to make it harder to contest. That was teh awesome.

The OU-Kansas games at LNC Kelvin's first few years were always rockin'.

royalfan5
3/8/2007, 12:15 PM
Piawkowtski going nuts for 40 some points in an overtime win in the early 90's

Newbomb Turk
3/8/2007, 12:40 PM
Piawkowtski going nuts for 40 some points in an overtime win in the early 90's

my favorite is a tie - every game OU has beaten Nebraska.

;)

Taxman71
3/8/2007, 01:14 PM
1. Tisdale's slam sealing the victory over Georgia Tech and Mark Price at the LNC in 1985.

2. Beating #1 UNLV at the LNC in 1987.

3. Tisdale's rim-hanger at the buzzer to beat La Tech and Karl Malone in the 1985 NCAA tourney.

Collier11
3/8/2007, 01:19 PM
Hollis over bobbis knight!

Remembering Tom Stidham
3/8/2007, 03:24 PM
Kenny Pryor's two-handed jump shot to beat Texas in 1947 and send us into the national championship game against Bob Cousy and Holy Cross. We had to take a long train ride to get to the finals site. Our guys were flat worn out when we lost to Holy Cross. A funny picture showed Kenny shooting the final shot and Dick Reich was wide open under our basket.

CtheB
3/8/2007, 05:16 PM
1. Tisdale's slam sealing the victory over Georgia Tech and Mark Price at the LNC in 1985.

2. Beating #1 UNLV at the LNC in 1987.

3. Tisdale's rim-hanger at the buzzer to beat La Tech and Karl Malone in the 1985 NCAA tourney.

Number 1, Taxman, same game.... Bowie's flying through the air one handed throwdown over Salley off a missed shot that gave us the lead for good.

Anyone says that the LNC can't rock should've been there. The place about came apart.

Hatfield
3/8/2007, 05:21 PM
today we were talking about when najera and cleeves knocked each other out
man eddie hustled.

Collier11
3/8/2007, 05:32 PM
Kenny Pryor's two-handed jump shot .

This dont seem like anything out of the ordinary unless Kenny only had one hand??/ Dont most people shoot with two hands? ;)

the_ouskull
3/8/2007, 05:39 PM
You forgot the Drew Lavender dribble the length of the floor and lay it up with 0.1 seconds left and then the team sprinting off the court to the locker room to make it harder to contest.

That happened against K-State.

the_ouskull

Oh, wait, MY basketball moment is when, in 1994, Ernie Abercrombie hit a 3 pointer to put us over #1 Kansas on Big Monday in Norman. Kansas had just gotten ranked #1 that day, and OU had just gotten ranked #25 that day. It was amazing. An absolutely amazing game.

I think that Kelvin's Krew drawing a Tech out of Roy helped too... :D

TopDawg
3/8/2007, 05:43 PM
You forgot the Drew Lavender dribble the length of the floor and lay it up with 0.1 seconds left and then the team sprinting off the court to the locker room to make it harder to contest.

n/m...skull got it

My favorite was the 99' upset of Arizona and getting to run onto the court and celebrate with the team.

LittleWingSooner
3/8/2007, 06:15 PM
You forgot the Drew Lavender dribble the length of the floor and lay it up with 0.1 seconds left and then the team sprinting off the court to the locker room to make it harder to contest. That was teh awesome.

The OU-Kansas games at LNC Kelvin's first few years were always rockin'.

That was against KSU.

Now I found out Skull beat me.

I forgot about Abercrombie's 3 that has to be number 2 in the Sampson era. I can't put it above the Arizona Hump tip in.

Jeopardude
3/8/2007, 06:35 PM
That happened against K-State.

the_ouskull

Oh, wait, MY basketball moment is when, in 1994, Ernie Abercrombie hit a 3 pointer to put us over #1 Kansas on Big Monday in Norman. Kansas had just gotten ranked #1 that day, and OU had just gotten ranked #25 that day. It was amazing. An absolutely amazing game.

I stand corrected. n/m

John Kochtoston
3/8/2007, 07:03 PM

Certainly the best moment for me in person.

Ever...maybe the comeback against Puke, even though we eventually lost. But, to avoid sounding Aggy, I'll go with the tip-in against Arizona in '99.

Salt City Sooner
3/8/2007, 08:44 PM
1988...OU beats the **** out of Arizona to make it to the Finals....

Worst, has to be KU (which we destroyed the previous 3 times that year) and Danny Manning winning the MVP of teh Tourney!
FWIW, we only beat KU twice in '88, & both games were decided by 8 points.

As for my favorites, a few that haven't been mentioned, in no order:

1. The 172-112 track meet w/ LMU in '91. Brent Price canned 11 3's that night en route to a LNC record 56 points.

2. Corey Brewer flat out willing OU to a 1 point win vs. Iowa St. in '98 in a game they had NO business winning.

3. Coming from way behind in the last couple of minutes to shock the pigs in '01.

4. Going down to Austin in '01 & winning by 21. J.R. Raymond was ridiculous that game.

5. The Big 12 tourney title game that same year, again vs. the 'horns. OU spotted UT a 26-8 lead & ended up winning by 9, 54-45.

6. Beating UConn in Storrs in '02.

7. Quannas White punking Luke Walton in the '02 sweet 16.

8. Hollis dropping 33 on UConn in '03.

9. Ripping off the last 6 in '05 to win the conference title.

JohnnyMack
3/8/2007, 08:53 PM
Easy. Calvin Curry jacking up 3's from somewhere near midcourt.

TopDawg
3/8/2007, 09:16 PM
As a freshman, Hollis Price stepped up to the free throw line in the Big XII tourney against Missouri with about 1 second left with 2 (or 3) free throws and we needed them all to tie (I think) the game and send it to OT. With icewater in his veins, he drained them all and we won in OT.

LittleWingSooner
3/8/2007, 10:56 PM
FWIW, we only beat KU twice in '88, & both games were decided by 8 points.

We only beat Arizona by 8 also.

the_ouskull
3/8/2007, 11:35 PM
I love basketball. Just reading this thread is making my happy tingle.

the_ouskull

Kels
3/9/2007, 08:32 AM
The '92 OU-OSU game in Norman. Ryan Minor guarded Big Country all night and held him to 7 points.

We were fantastic.

the_ouskull
3/9/2007, 08:49 AM
In 1992, Big Country was a frosh or sophomore and wasn't very good. (Think Longar now, only fat instead of skinny...) During the time of year that he'd have played OU in Norman in 1992, it would have been his freshman year, and he only averaged 8 ppg. I mean, good job by Minor and stuff, but I don't think that you've got your years right, that's all.

the_ouskull

SoonerJack
3/9/2007, 09:31 AM
How about every time Stacy "Sky" King would get the ball in the post. It was money.

How about Mookie Blaylock's freaky steal numbers?

How about Tubbs imploring the fans that "no matter how bad the officiating, please refrain from throwing things on the court." Dude had brass clackers.

bri
3/9/2007, 09:47 AM
I second skull's nomination of the '94 KU win, but only because all the shenanigans overshadowed the greatest game I ever witnessed live in the LNC. The 'Hawk that took a header into Kelvin's Krew on a breakaway attempt that prompted Roy to sprint down the sideline to be a tough guy and shove some students for just standing there. The resultant rushing of the court and the frantic celebration with the players. Every time I think of it, I hear Bobby Bouchet screaming "SLAP HANDS!!!" in my head. :D

Also, the Tulsa World ********* that was covering the game bitched and moaned about the "classless" Sooner students that rushed the court and put his very life in danger for weeks afterwards. Seriously, that guy would be writing an article about regional lake levels and would find a way to take a shot at us...

CobraKai
3/9/2007, 09:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YglrzDO2etA

I would rank this moment as numbers 1 through 4, with Angelo Hamilton's 360 at Duke #5.

SteelClip49
3/9/2007, 11:26 AM
2003 Big 12 Tourney Title game in Dallas where Oklahoma dominated the entire 1st half to only score 5, yes I said 5, points in the 2nd half and still beat Mizzou 49-47.

GottaHavePride
3/10/2007, 01:20 AM
today we were talking about when najera and cleeves knocked each other out
man eddie hustled.

Eduardo Najera is still my favorite player to have watched live while he was at OU. Hollis Price is an extrmely close second.

What was it, the 1999 tournament that we spent virtually the entire season unranked and walked in and bounced 4-seed Arizona out of the tournament by a point? Same damn year as the Mateen Claves collision. that Arizona game was one of the best I've seen in person. The next game against UNC was a good win, but UNC wasn't as good as 'Zona that year.

King Crimson
3/10/2007, 01:24 AM
UNC-Charlotte.

Big Red Ron
3/10/2007, 01:38 AM
My favorite moment was watching the Aggie AD waving an empty jar around the GIA to "Capture it's spirit" for the last game before the renovation and then watching Nolan Johnson single handedly break down the Aggie defense en rout to killing that spirit.

Good times.

King Crimson
3/10/2007, 01:41 AM
My favorite moment was watching the Aggie AD waving an empty jar around the GIA to "Capture it's spirit" for the last game before the renovation and then watching Nolan Johnson single handedly break down the Aggie defense en rout to killing that spirit.

Good times.

Nolan abused Desmond Mason that night. i listened to that game in bed sick....it was truly great.

Big Red Ron
3/10/2007, 01:49 AM
Watching "Rat Boy" Gottlieb cry was effin priceless.