PDA

View Full Version : Most under hyped player in OU history?

Big Red Ron
3/7/2007, 10:49 PM
Meaning no hype and became a legend

Number one has to be Quinten.

Maybe Teddy Lehman.

Mark Clayton?

Boomerfreakinsooner
3/7/2007, 10:51 PM
Josh Huepel or would he not count?

Big Red Ron
3/7/2007, 10:54 PM
Oh, he'd count and maybe above Q but I remember when Q was recruited. I think he was a one or two star guy that was like the last guy we signed because we missed out on the guys we really wanted.

Collier11
3/7/2007, 11:10 PM
jeff ferguson???

Frozen Sooner
3/7/2007, 11:14 PM
Jerald Moore. I don't recall him being that big-time of a signing, but he had a really good junior year and went pro early.

Derrick Strait. Two star recruit, ends up winning the Thorpe Award.

Sooner74
3/7/2007, 11:20 PM
I would say the OU offensive line this past year. Considering how young they really were. They did a great job and should be given their due.

soonerinabilene
3/7/2007, 11:39 PM
heupel and white are the first two that come to mind.

Big Red Ron
3/7/2007, 11:46 PM
White was a pretty saught after QB in HS.

What about Jermain (Gumbo) Fazand. Dude played FB at OU and was drafted in the first round by the Chargers at RB.

TheUnnamedSooner
3/8/2007, 12:03 AM
Kelly Gregg?

Sooner24
3/8/2007, 12:55 AM
Steve Davis

goingoneight
3/8/2007, 01:06 AM
What about all of those people who hated on PT, then he won a BIG 12 Champeenship???

snp
3/8/2007, 02:44 AM
Q, Strait, and Clayton.

PT went from being over hyped to under hyped pretty quickly.

King Crimson
3/8/2007, 05:05 AM
Steve Rhodes or Kenny King.

TripleOption14
3/8/2007, 06:28 AM
I'm gonna have to say Gutes. Not so much for what he does on the field (which is unbelieveable considering his size) but for what he does as a team leader and off the field stuff. Truly what every coach wants their players to be when they are not doing football stuff.

AlbqSooner
3/8/2007, 07:38 AM
Lucious Selmon. Barry said they offered him to get LeRoy and Dewey. He said in this day of limited schollys they would not have offered Lucious.

King Crimson
3/8/2007, 07:47 AM
funny how so many responses are players in the last 5 years. we've been pretty good for while now. like 50 years.

sanantoniosooner
3/8/2007, 08:49 AM
funny how so many responses are players in the last 5 years. we've been pretty good for while now. like 50 years.
Perhaps I have no idea how much hype a player got before I was born.

starrca23
3/8/2007, 09:14 AM
I too, will vote for Kelly Gregg

Big Red Ron
3/8/2007, 09:26 AM
funny how so many responses are players in the last 5 years. we've been pretty good for while now. like 50 years.During the king's day. Everyone was hyped. Plus we signed just about any and everyone we wanted.

Q was signed 7 years ago...:P Huepel too.

Demond Parker has to be up there too.

batonrougesooner
3/8/2007, 09:35 AM

Hype is a product of the modern media/internet.

We never used to hear about a kid until they arrived on campus. Not any real substance anyway.

The_Red_Patriot
3/8/2007, 10:06 AM
Dick Winder

:eek:

LittleWingSooner
3/8/2007, 10:22 AM
Josh Heupel going into 1999 people didn't even know his name.

Quentin Griffin wasn't that highly recruited. I think A&M or Tech were on him late but he was a 2 star guy.

Mark Clayton was a slow small receiver out of Arlington that became our best receiver in school history.

Derrick Strait was a quarterback in high school if I'm not mistaken and some schools were recruiting him at wideout. He was the best CB in school history.

Mike Vaughan was a 5th team offensive lineman before being an all-american in the 70s.

Steve Davis was the last QB in the depth chart his freshman year.

LittleWingSooner
3/8/2007, 10:28 AM
White was a pretty saught after QB in HS.

What about Jermain (Gumbo) Fazand. Dude played FB at OU and was drafted in the first round by the Chargers at RB.

No he was a 2nd round pick and a dumb pick. He wasn't a good player at OU.

I remember Gregg as being pretty highly recruited. He was kinda small but I think he was still sought after.

Lehman is a good pick he came from nowhere.

King Crimson
3/8/2007, 10:31 AM
Hype is a product of the modern media/internet.

We never used to hear about a kid until they arrived on campus. Not any real substance anyway.

Steve Rhodes never had much hype as a slow, downfield blocking, SE in the Bone.

All he did was come up big in big games. against Nebbish in 77 and FSU in the Orange Bowl 81....come to mind.

Dr. Jelly Finger
3/8/2007, 10:51 AM
I can't believe that I haven't seen TRRW mentioned yet in this thread. He wasn't an all world recruit coming out of High School and had a pretty decent career at Oklahoma. :pop:

badger
3/8/2007, 10:52 AM
Adrian Peterson :)

LittleWingSooner
3/8/2007, 11:07 AM
He was one of the best players in California. Was on the cover of some of the magazines on high school sports in California. UCLA, USC were in on him.

IB4OU2
3/8/2007, 11:57 AM
Joe Wylie, he played in the shadow of Greg Pruitt but was still a hell of a halfback.

fwsooner22
3/8/2007, 12:04 PM
Steve Rhodes and Kelly Gregg

Watch the You Tubes of Steve Rhodes.....dude was dying against FSU in the Orange Bowl (hamstring I think) and basically won the game down the stretch......

Was Scott Case a highly recruited guy? He certainly had a ton of success.

Q has to be on the list as does Coach H.

soonerlaw
3/8/2007, 12:47 PM
Woofolk.

Collier11
3/8/2007, 12:53 PM
I thought vince woolfork went to Miami??? ;)

cvsooner
3/8/2007, 01:43 PM
Joe Wylie, he played in the shadow of Greg Pruitt but was still a hell of a halfback.

Wylie came in with a lot of expectations and played pretty well his sophomore year. He wasn't so good after that, as I recall. I remember being disappointed in him, really.

My vote for most under-hyped player would be Steve Davis. Nobody heard of him, bottom of the depth chart--and then went, what, 33-1-1, as a starter? And even at the time didn't get the recognition he was probably due.

King Crimson
3/8/2007, 01:48 PM
Steve Davis was pretty damn good. I can't argue with that.

soonerx7
3/8/2007, 02:14 PM
Spencer Tillman?
Steve Sewell?
Anthony Stafford?
Do not recall much hype about these guys.
Of course pre internet.

cvsooner
3/8/2007, 03:49 PM
Spencer Tillman?

After Marcus Dupree left...it was comical, almost. Dupree could barely string together three words into a sentence and dressed like a slob.

Tillman was interviewed on national TV as Dupree's replacement and he's in coat and tie and more articulate than a seasoned Congressman. He couldn't run like Dupree...few people could...but he sure did a lot more for OU in terms of PR than Dupree ever thought about.

SouthFortySooner
3/8/2007, 03:53 PM
What about all of those people who hated on PT, then he won a BIG 12 Champeenship???

I thought Jermaine won that one?

the_ouskull
3/8/2007, 05:51 PM
Good call on the Spenser Tillman stuff...

I'd have to answer with Q or Derrick Strait though... Maybe Demond Parker. He redshirted, faGod'ssake...

the_ouskull

LittleWingSooner
3/8/2007, 06:12 PM
Alabama was recruiting Tillman he told a story about being recruited by Bear Bryant in the Sooner Legends DVD.

King Crimson
3/8/2007, 06:25 PM
Spencer Tillman?
Steve Sewell?
Anthony Stafford?
Do not recall much hype about these guys.
Of course pre internet.

Steve Sewell is a good choice. i think he averaged about 10 yards a touch. both in college and the NFL.

soonerboy_odanorth
3/8/2007, 06:57 PM
I gotta go with Roy Williams. I don't recall any hype surrounding his signing.

[Edit: Maybe he was getting some "Super Prep" press in CA, couldn't say... But I don't think his signing really did much for people around here, did it?]

In fact, his "no hype" continued even when he got here initially as he floundered from position to position under Boo Boo's direction.

King Crimson
3/8/2007, 07:10 PM

[Edit: Maybe he was getting some "Super Prep" press in CA, couldn't say... But I don't think his signing really did much for people around here, did it?]

In fact, his "no hype" continued even when he got here initially as he floundered from position to position under Boo Boo's direction.

he played QB against ISU that year. ;)

LittleWingSooner
3/8/2007, 07:57 PM
Good call on the Spenser Tillman stuff...

I'd have to answer with Q or Derrick Strait though... Maybe Demond Parker. He redshirted, faGod'ssake...

the_ouskull

Parker was highly recruited just small. He was 150 lbs as a true freshman.

The Walk-on
3/8/2007, 07:59 PM
Steve Sewell.
Good college career, great pro career and a gentleman on top of that.

BigRedJed
3/8/2007, 08:08 PM
Derrick Shepard (walk-on)

Mark Bradley (walk-on)

Corey Heineke (walk-on)

BigRedJed
3/8/2007, 08:11 PM
Tim Duncan was also a walk-on. Great kicker. Solid tackler, too, when someone squirted past everybody else.

LittleWingSooner
3/8/2007, 08:40 PM
A lot of good kickers were probably walk-ons.

cvsooner
3/8/2007, 08:56 PM
A lot of good kickers were probably walk-ons.

Let's see...John Carroll. Good receiver and place kicker.

Tony DiRienzo...exchange student from Brazil but made a splash in Ardmore.

Jimmy Littrell...GREAT fullback and a heckuva punter.

Ah, memories.

Salt City Sooner
3/8/2007, 08:58 PM
Q has to be at or near the top of this list. Until A&M came at him on signing day, we were his only offer. Not bad for the 5th leading rusher in OU history.

A couple that I always thought never really got their due were Scott Evans (3 time all-conference) & Joe Bowden (2 time all-conference, '91 AA)

goingoneight
3/8/2007, 09:06 PM

true... but the hype wasn't exactly there in pre-internet days. People would go and watch practices and read the news and Sooner media, but you didn't have ESPN showing some high school senior rolling up in a limousine just to tell the people of a college he's committed. The hype has been tremendous the last five years or so. When we were under Barry and Bud, we just knew we'd be good cuz they said so.

LittleWingSooner
3/8/2007, 09:15 PM
Before the internet era you read about the recruiting class that week. There were the few guys you probably heard of like Sims, Dupree, and others, but the recruiting hype is much bigger now.

OK2LA
3/8/2007, 10:04 PM

Roy was a juco transfer, so whatever hype he had, was long gone by the time he was bailing out his grades.

LittleWingSooner
3/8/2007, 10:50 PM
Roy wasn't a JUCO he was here redshirted in 98 and played here for 3 years.

soonerboy_odanorth
3/9/2007, 02:02 PM
Roy was a juco transfer, so whatever hype he had, was long gone by the time he was bailing out his grades.

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry....but we've got some lovely parting gifts for you....

astro5169
3/9/2007, 05:35 PM
Don Smitherman... Fullback out of McAlester. Played awesome.

Big Red Ron
3/9/2007, 06:22 PM
No he was a 2nd round pick and a dumb pick. He wasn't a good player at OU.

I remember Gregg as being pretty highly recruited. He was kinda small but I think he was still sought after.

Lehman is a good pick he came from nowhere.That's right he was just the first player from the state of Oklahoma drafted that year. I dissagree that he wasn't a good player. He was a helluva FB.

LittleWingSooner
3/9/2007, 08:25 PM
He wasn't exactly Lydell Carr or Kenny King or even JD Runnels or Seth Littrel. I wouldn't exactly but him as a great fullback. Maybe a good fullback at best.

I think the only reason he was drafted so high was because he ran a 4.4 40. He didn't last in the NFL.

Big Red Ron
3/9/2007, 11:06 PM
He wasn't exactly Lydell Carr or Kenny King or even JD Runnels or Seth Littrel. I wouldn't exactly but him as a great fullback. Maybe a good fullback at best.

I think the only reason he was drafted so high was because he ran a 4.4 40. He didn't last in the NFL.He was as good or better than JD and Seth. Lydell wasn't exactly a FB since he played in the bone and was a real running option.

Fazande was a hell of a player. He just had the misfortune of playing for the worst coach in all of College football history.

King Crimson
3/9/2007, 11:13 PM
Fazande was a hell of a player. He just had the misfortune of playing for the worst coach in all of College football history.

i'll never forget listening to an ATM-OU game at night on the radio (maybe 98?) and we're getting killed but we're only down 14 at the half. we come out the second half and feed Gumbo the ball on our first drive and march down the field with 4 or 5 straight first downs, knocking the Aggies off the ball......and then self-destruct typically with a dumb penalty and punt. Fazande never sees the ball the rest of the game. we lose by 3 or 4 TD's.

way to go Boo.

elderlysooner
3/10/2007, 04:30 PM
I would have to say Jimmy Harris.

bixby28
3/11/2007, 07:23 PM
Josh Heupel

Sooner24
3/12/2007, 06:11 PM
Let's see...John Carroll. Good receiver and place kicker.

Tony DiRienzo...exchange student from Brazil but made a splash in Ardmore.

Jimmy Littrell...GREAT fullback and a heckuva punter.

Ah, memories.

I went to school with Tony Di. Everyone would get to the game early just to watch him kick 60 yard field goals in warm ups.

cvsooner
3/12/2007, 06:50 PM
I went to school with Tony Di. Everyone would get to the game early just to watch him kick 60 yard field goals in warm ups.

High school or college? I saw him kick in high school and had never seen anything like it in a high school kid.

Then...'75? I believe it was...he kicked a 60-yarder against....Kansas? I think it was...at Owen Field. (Man, I'm getting old...can't remember stuff much any more.)

But watching him warm up in high school and college were both very cool.