PDA

View Full Version : Need some help for you statistic gurus

Ardmore_Sooner
3/7/2007, 10:00 PM
My teacher in one of my classes grades on a bell shaped curve and need help determining my grade thus far... I have a 79% the class average is a 70%. Here is the way grades work....

Grades are not based on a fixed percentage of exam points; letter grades are based on class rank (i.e., a 'curve'). That is, the top 15% of the class will receive an A, the next 20% B, the next 30% C, the next 20% D, and the bottom 15% F. At the end of the semester, the exam points (500 being the maximum possible) for each student are totaled and the point totals are ranked from highest to lowest. Grade boundaries, based on the curve, are then determined. Your scaled bonus points (out of 50) are then added to the exam points, and may have the effect of lifting your point total above a grade boundary (e.g., if you have a middle B from the exams your bonus points may lift you above the A/B grade boundary). This is not trivial or insignificant; typically about one half of the students (those who make the effort and regularly attend class!) receive a higher letter grade due to their bonus points. REPEAT: Grades are NOT decided on a 90-100 = A, 80-89 = B, 70-79 = C, 60-69 = D, 0-59 = F basis, or any other fixed scale.

Any help, I hate stats!

PS: Just forget all the bonus stuff.

royalfan5
3/7/2007, 10:05 PM
You probably have a B, unless the class has a really goofy distribution.

Ardmore_Sooner
3/7/2007, 10:05 PM
I'm just to lazy to figure out all the numbers!

Frozen Sooner
3/7/2007, 10:25 PM
Well, for one, I'd need to know the class size. Then I'd need to know the standard deviation of grades. At that point, I'd be much more likely to provide an answer that makes sense.

Ardmore_Sooner
3/7/2007, 10:28 PM
98 students im looking for it for sure...

OSUAggie
3/7/2007, 10:33 PM
No way to determine the grade unless you have the grades for the majority of the class. The assumption that you have a B is probably correct, unless your class if full of average students, in which case you might have an A.

Ardmore_Sooner
3/7/2007, 10:34 PM
I hate stats....

olevetonahill
3/7/2007, 11:18 PM
I hate stats....
you are flunking .

soonerboomer93
3/7/2007, 11:34 PM
ah, the bell curve

I don't know which is worse, teachers who feel the need to pass every student, or teachers who feel the need to fail a certain percentage of students....

tommieharris91
3/8/2007, 12:21 AM
Well, I like statistics because they help me make money at the poker table, so lets see if my knowledge of business stat helps me. We need to find variance and standard deviation (as stated above). Also, classes like these are where median and mode come in handy to determine grades.

Wikipedia says your sample N is wayyyyy too small (1 out of 98).

Ash
3/8/2007, 01:19 AM
Is your grade indicating your part of the percentile above 75% or does it mean that you've earned 79% of the total 550 points possible.

And yes, without other descriptive statistics or raw data, it's pure speculation where you're at in terms of the bell curve unless your grade reflects the percentile in which you're placed.

By the way, I hope this isn't math or stats class. Otherwise your teacher needs to review frequencies under the normal curve.

Ardmore_Sooner
3/8/2007, 01:26 AM
Volcanoes and Earthquakes is the class. My teacher sent us our grades, my tentative grade is a B and an A after the bonus work we have.