PDA

View Full Version : Trees around the practice fields.

TopDawg
3/7/2007, 09:08 PM
For those of you who don't live in Norman or don't drive by the stadium regularly, they've taken out all the evergreen trees surrounding the practice fields and they have a construction-type fence up right now.

Any of you people know what's going on?

FlatheadSooner
3/7/2007, 09:22 PM
Guess Bob is taking this "rebuilding" seriously.

:)

Ash
3/7/2007, 09:29 PM
Friend of mine said it was part of the late phase stadium improvements and a new fence (wrought iron or some such with brick pylons) will be put up.

Any confirmation out there?

goingoneight
3/7/2007, 09:57 PM
Yeah, it's not easy for the media or public to spy on the practice sessions from a rubber fence.

Crimson Blonde
3/7/2007, 10:18 PM
From what I hear, it is going to be a wrought iron and brick fence, to blend in better with the stadium. I also hear they are going to be using the same type of blocking material that they have been using on the chain link in the past.

Ardmore_Sooner
3/7/2007, 10:22 PM
Heard that a new brick wall is being put up to match the stadium brick.

BOOMERBRADLEY
3/7/2007, 10:40 PM
It's actually a safety measure being installed.

I heard the Bob wanted to defend the stadium from long range missle attacks so he is building a defense system....

goingoneight
3/7/2007, 10:46 PM
I heard he's not putting nameplates on it either.

Sooner74
3/7/2007, 11:00 PM
Supposedly it is going to be brick structure. From what I heard it will be all brick so the public can peak in. But it will be speculation till it is finally done.

colleyvillesooner
3/7/2007, 11:05 PM
Rumblings I'm hearing is that they are delaying the brick and iron fence and going with a nice wood one for this season at a minimum.

TopDawg
3/7/2007, 11:28 PM
Nevermind, I just heard from my sources that it's where O'Connel's is being relocated.

OUAndy1807
3/8/2007, 06:57 AM
I hear it's the first phase of them widening Lindsey and they decided to take down the shrubs and replace them with a wood fence since they don't have time to let a new hedge grow before practice. Word is that now they will have a capital campaign and try to raise enough money for the fence (man, that would be expensive to add like 2000 linear feet of fence.)

OUDoc
3/8/2007, 09:38 AM
They're hoping to raise enough to get this built, so click some damn ads. :mad:
http://static.flickr.com/2/3851428_c358ac4581.jpg

BOOMERBRADLEY
3/8/2007, 09:53 AM
^ That looks like the fence from The Sandlot.

Maybe they will put "The Beast" behind it

colleyvillesooner
3/8/2007, 10:37 AM
^ That looks like the fence from The Sandlot.

Maybe they will put "The Beast" behind it

he's already there. his name is Phil Loadholt.

BOOMERBRADLEY
3/8/2007, 10:45 AM
he's already there. his name is Phil Loadholt.

Heh, him and Dukezilla will make quite the team

setem
3/8/2007, 11:40 AM
I hear they are planting human body parts around the area like seedlings. Humans will grow from them and will be our new starters for the 2012 football season!

I hear we are putting in a Veal farm to feed Loadholt's appetite for Italian food!

John Kochtoston
3/8/2007, 07:09 PM
Stoops is building an X-Wing fighter, so that we can all be safe and secure from the Death Star of College Football being built in Stillwater.

That's why Nichol is the leading candidate for the QB position. He was able to bullseye womprats during hunting trips to Michigan's Upper Peninsula...all without a targeting computer.

King Crimson
3/8/2007, 07:12 PM
as a townie, i don't like it. they already razed a whole neighborhood so you monkeys can sit on picnic benches 6 times a year.

badger
3/8/2007, 07:26 PM
Entire story here (http://www.normantranscript.com/siteSearch/apstorysection/local_story_004001615)

Partial story here:

Joe Castiglione, OU director of athletics, spoke about the proposed improvements to the stadium, which focus on better staff and coaching offices in the Barry Switzer Center, improved restroom and concession facilities in the north and west field level concourses, and new fencing around the practice field located south of the stadium. Regents approved a maximum price of $10 million for the project.
Link (http://www.normantranscript.com/siteSearch/apstorysection/local_story_299003329)

soonerboomer93
3/8/2007, 07:56 PM
so 9.99 million on the locker room

and 10k for the wooden fence

OUDoc
3/8/2007, 08:29 PM
as a townie, i don't like it. they already razed a whole neighborhood so you monkeys can sit on picnic benches 6 times a year.
I liked the evergreens and bushes. It's getting so I don't recognize the school I once attended. Progress, I guess, but I wouldn't think the practice field needed to have a fancy fence to attract recruits.

John Kochtoston
3/8/2007, 08:43 PM
I liked the evergreens and bushes. It's getting so I don't recognize the school I once attended. Progress, I guess, but I wouldn't think the practice field needed to have a fancy fence to attract recruits.

Ehh, IMHO, the evergreens and bushes were kinda ratty looking. Plus, Id on't know that they hide anything that needs to be hidden very well.

goingoneight
3/8/2007, 08:48 PM
[stupid aggy] there bilding wepons of mass destrucshun [/stupid aggy]

CrimsonChampion
3/9/2007, 02:55 PM
I just wish we could hurry up and add 10 or 15,000 more seats in OUr stadium.

colleyvillesooner
3/9/2007, 03:05 PM
Ehh, IMHO, the evergreens and bushes were kinda ratty looking. Plus, Id on't know that they hide anything that needs to be hidden very well.

That's exactly the reasoning for the huge wooden fence.

Mac94
3/9/2007, 03:22 PM
[stupid aggy] there bilding wepons of mass destrucshun [/stupid aggy]

I might not joke to much, considering the new Secretary of Defense was the President of Texas A&M University, wind of such activities might invite a preemptive strike and invasion by the 82nd Airborne Division ... just in case. ;)

OUAndy1807
3/9/2007, 06:36 PM
I just wish we could hurry up and add 10 or 15,000 more seats in OUr stadium.
I guess you weren't in the stadium after the loss to Texas this year when there were thousands of empty seats. One loss=empty seats to me means no big expansion.

GottaHavePride
3/9/2007, 07:01 PM
Plus the bushes kind of caught on fire a while back. They probably realized "oh, so it only takes one ******* with a cigarette to burn down the bushes?"

soonerboomer93
3/9/2007, 07:44 PM
the bush, the bush, the bush is on fire...

colleyvillesooner
3/9/2007, 07:46 PM
the bush, the bush, the bush is on fire...

She don't need no doctor let her woman parts burn. Burn....pee pee burn.

:eek:

soonerloyal
3/10/2007, 12:02 PM
I heard he's not putting nameplates on it either.

LMAO

MemphisRaines
3/12/2007, 08:03 AM
I heard, from a good source that works in the construction industry, that the work around the field is a cover for the entire field. It is supposedly going to be like the covers you see over the car dealerships in Texas. Obviously they would be taller to accomodatelong passes, but you get the idea.

CrimsonChampion
3/12/2007, 12:55 PM
I guess you weren't in the stadium after the loss to Texas this year when there were thousands of empty seats. One loss=empty seats to me means no big expansion.

What's our home sell-out streak?? Every game since the 2000 season or something? Yea that's what I thought bud, don't think there will be a problem with filling the seats in Norman unless we relive the 90s.

I should've given my whole opinion though, don't expand until we deserve it, meaning our 8th NC.

CrimsonChampion
3/12/2007, 01:09 PM

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=300&ATCLID=32845

Beano's Fourth Chin
3/12/2007, 01:18 PM
The wall is going to look like this:
http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/6719/photo46hiresmg6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

They're going to use it to funnel everyone into the Southwest gate.

snp
3/12/2007, 01:29 PM
That is probably the best post I have ever seen.

And the best movie as well.

Doged
3/12/2007, 01:56 PM
How did a preview pic of the 2008 losur game make it into this thread? Note the usual lifeless atmosphere in stands. Also note WmgHwE (World's most goodest Heisman winnar EVAR) Bowman laid out in front of the Sooner defense (who state they decide to play the game wearing only skivvies and Crimson Capes because it "looks cool").

planosooner
3/12/2007, 02:45 PM
The trees were obstructing the view from the future dead horse-pigs' cemetery; thus blocking the view of the boomer sooner memorial scoreboard. errrr somethin like that

soonerboomer93
3/12/2007, 06:50 PM
The wall is going to look like this:
http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/6719/photo46hiresmg6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

They're going to use it to funnel everyone into the Southwest gate.

i'd prefer if the just did bones, once the flesh rots well, it just becomes kinda squishy. But nice ribcage column and skulls along the top, how can you go wrong?

BigRedJed
3/12/2007, 07:40 PM
http://www.aelliott.com/images/2000/s/00_05_03_01_catacombs_large_s.jpg

soonerboomer93
3/12/2007, 08:55 PM
jed's got it

i'd spek you but well, ymssr....

BigRedJed
3/12/2007, 10:21 PM
No namecalling. Stop getting personal, everybody.

1stTimeCaller
3/12/2007, 10:43 PM
What's our home sell-out streak?? Every game since the 2000 season or something? Yea that's what I thought bud, don't think there will be a problem with filling the seats in Norman unless we relive the 90s.

I should've given my whole opinion though, don't expand until we deserve it, meaning our 8th NC.

he didn't say that we didn't sell out games. He said that people with tickets that were paid for didn't bother to show up after our loss to Texas.

Where do you propose that we expand the stadium and where does the money come from?

CrimsonChampion
3/14/2007, 02:51 PM
he didn't say that we didn't sell out games. He said that people with tickets that were paid for didn't bother to show up after our loss to Texas.

Where do you propose that we expand the stadium and where does the money come from?

My original post said "I wish we could hurry up and and add some seats". Talking about Norman, ofcourse. I don't remember bringing up the cotton bowl.

I'm sure we have the money for the addition, or someone will donate. However, I also said, "we should earn it, by way of NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP."

Might wanna read posts with more of an open mind and consider all things said before you go and make people have to explain themselves over and over on these boards. Gets old typing the same thing, ya know?

MikeInNorman
3/14/2007, 03:49 PM
That picture makes it plain that Aggy's Dead Animal Incinerator will be working overtime this season.

Or maybe Gundy's new office in the brand spankin' new Doublewide of Doom is so big that he can just pile 'em in a corner.

Or, more likely, Ratboy will try to recruit a few of them. Whichever.

1stTimeCaller
3/14/2007, 04:03 PM
My original post said "I wish we could hurry up and and add some seats". Talking about Norman, ofcourse. I don't remember bringing up the cotton bowl.

I'm sure we have the money for the addition, or someone will donate. However, I also said, "we should earn it, by way of NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP."

Might wanna read posts with more of an open mind and consider all things said before you go and make people have to explain themselves over and over on these boards. Gets old typing the same thing, ya know?

I don't remember me speaking about people not showing up for the game at the Cotton Bowl either. You might try reading posts with your eyes open next time.

We played Texas and lost. We then had a home game, in Norman of course, and a lot of people did not show up for the game. That was my point. I believe that was Andy's point as well. Why spend money so that we can have more empty seats in our stadium the week after we lose a game?

Again, where do we put those seats? Do we ruin the reflecting pool and the grounds around there to build an upper deck in the North end zone? Do we add another deck on the West side, the East?

MojoRisen
3/14/2007, 05:23 PM
Should be at least 95K seats or better -

TopDawg
3/14/2007, 07:04 PM
We could bowl in the South endzone. I know the athletic department says it can't be done because of the different grade of the south stands, but I don't buy that. The benches don't have to match up, just put a wall there where the south stands start.

But if they don't wanna do that, I think it'd also be cool to just connect the upper decks on the south side. Continue the two-deck look with suites/boxes around the SE corner and then when it hits the scoreboard, just have the upper-upper deck go over the scoreboard and then when it gets to the SW side, open it up to one big upper deck like the west side UD is.

But I realize it's not gonna happen anytime soon.

ADs_Agent
3/14/2007, 07:11 PM
you're all wrong about the wall, it will be made from the bones of Chuck Norris' enemies and cursed by a Liberian witch doctor. The chest hair of Barry Gibbs and the awesomeness of Mr T will be blended into a potion that will be poured on a UT grad that will then be sacrificed to the football gods to ensure a good season. The wall will be so terrible and incredible at the same time that it will literally burn your eyes out if you look at it.

Fraggle145
3/16/2007, 03:02 PM
Personally I think we should add a second deck to the North endzone. To keep noise in, build up not out. We can rebuild the bird bath... I mean reflecting pool ;)

OUAndy1807
3/16/2007, 03:17 PM
I swear I heard from someone that we had plans to that if we had won the '03 or '04 games.

End of debate.

obviously that must be the end of the debate. how could anyone possibly argue with "I swear I heard from someone"?

Taxman71
3/16/2007, 03:29 PM
The only way is a new upper deck in the north end. Let the foundation extend all the way to Brooks then raze the fieldhouse and create a state of the art facility adjoining the stadium from the north.

TopDawg
3/16/2007, 03:38 PM
The only way is a new upper deck in the north end. Let the foundation extend all the way to Brooks then raze the fieldhouse and create a state of the art facility adjoining the stadium from the north.

Do you really mean "the only way" or is that just what you think is best or you'd prefer? I'm curious because I think the easiest way would be to bowl in the south end.

colleyvillesooner
3/16/2007, 04:19 PM
Do you really mean "the only way" or is that just what you think is best or you'd prefer? I'm curious because I think the easiest way would be to bowl in the south end.

I agree.

And I don't want to hear any of the "The sides are on different grades" bull****. We put a man on the moon, pretty sure we sould bowl in an endzone.

stoopified
3/16/2007, 04:27 PM
It's actually a safety measure being installed.

I heard the Bob wanted to defend the stadium from long range missle attacks so he is building a defense system....Star Wars?I guess that means ticket prices are going WAY up this time.

Taxman71
3/16/2007, 04:50 PM

I think Joe C. and others have repeatedly stated that OU will never close the south endzone due to cutting off the south breeze which provide the only cooling effect during the hot games.

BigRedJed
3/16/2007, 05:19 PM
I already warned about namecalling, CrimsonChampion. Enjoy some time off.

TopDawg
3/16/2007, 05:43 PM
I think Joe C. and others have repeatedly stated that OU will never close the south endzone due to cutting off the south breeze which provide the only cooling effect during the hot games.

Uhhh, hello...closing that in would add at least 10,000 more fans.

HA!

My upperdeck-only solution would still allow the breeze and I think it'd be hella cool too.

1stTimeCaller
3/16/2007, 06:22 PM
I wish those dumbasses at HOK+Sport+Venue knew WTF they were talking about. I for one don't mind being a lemming and believing what one of the best stadium architecture and engineering firms say about bowling in the south endzone. Then again, that's just me

TopDawg
3/16/2007, 06:32 PM
I'm not saying that what they say is incorrect. It probably is impossible (or impractical) to bowl in the south endzone so that the bleachers match up like they do in the north endzone. (And it's my understanding that that's what they're saying.)

All I'm saying is that I don't care. They don't have to match up. As far as I can tell, there's no reason that the stands HAVE to be at the same grade. Build a restraining wall when the grades start to split up, kinda like they have in the corners of Nebraska's stadium.

But maybe those people at [Name of other construction company that's made this work in other stadiums] didn't know WTF they were doing.

OUAndy1807
3/16/2007, 06:46 PM
But maybe those people at [Name of other construction company that's made this work in other stadiums] didn't know WTF they were doing.
why the design elements of a stadium will or will not work aesthetically have nothing to do with the construction company that builds it.

there are a lot more issues than the difference of the rake on the south ends. The light poles would have to be moved, the ramps used to access the south endzone would have to be reworked, which would involve possible problems with fire egress from the south stands, you would have fire egress path problems from the Switzer center, the all american plaza would have to be moved, the new structure would encroach on the practice fields, do the existing back up generators and power feeds have enough capacity to handle the loads required? the entrance to the Switzer center would have to be moved. this is just off the top of my head

OUDoc
3/16/2007, 07:06 PM
why the design elements of a stadium will or will not work aesthetically have nothing to do with the construction company that builds it.

there are a lot more issues than the difference of the rake on the south ends. The light poles would have to be moved, the ramps used to access the south endzone would have to be reworked, which would involve possible problems with fire egress from the south stands, you would have fire egress path problems from the Switzer center, the all american plaza would have to be moved, the new structure would encroach on the practice fields, do the existing back up generators and power feeds have enough capacity to handle the loads required? the entrance to the Switzer center would have to be moved. this is just off the top of my head
So you have no idea? ;)

Booner
3/19/2007, 03:49 PM
Anybody still living in Norman got a recent picture for us folks no longer there?

Thanks in advance.

TopDawg
3/19/2007, 04:52 PM

I realize there is more to it than the rake, but the only thing I've heard from the athletic department is that the rake is the reason they can't (or won't) do it. The south breeze thing is new to me and, in my opinion, a pretty valid reason for not bowling it in.

But if we were able to move a STREET to add the new upper deck, surely we can do those other things. It's just a matter of money.

OUAndy1807
4/9/2007, 07:11 PM
how's that wood fence coming?

OUDoc
4/9/2007, 08:42 PM
how's that wood fence coming?
I saw Bob and Boren setting the posts last week. Should be any day now.

utex74
4/9/2007, 09:05 PM

Here is how a north endzone expansion could work. UT's north endzone expansion 2006-08. Seating increased to 96,000, with south endzone stands in place.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/MustangGT281ci/DKRtransition.gif

Fraggle145
4/9/2007, 09:19 PM
That is what I would want to happen, or something similiar.

goingoneight
4/9/2007, 09:36 PM
Here is how a north endzone expansion could work. UT's north endzone expansion 2006-08. Seating increased to 96,000, with south endzone stands in place.

Say... do you guys have the world's greatest offense, too? Ya know... that comes with stadium expansion, I hear. :D

TopDawg
4/10/2007, 10:31 AM

What is it with you and A&M having 3 sides of nice* stands and one side of high school risers?

*"nice" is being generous to A&M. I was disappointed in the quality of their stadium when I visited. It's huge, yes, but also sub-par.

Taxman71
4/10/2007, 12:51 PM

That is the most likely scenario based on interviews I have heard from Joe C. in the past. It would save the southern breeze for the hot games and block more of the north wind on the cold games.

However, such an expansion can't be planned any time in the near future given the multimillion dollar upgrade on the north endzone scoreboard.

utex74
4/10/2007, 08:39 PM
What is it with you and A&M having 3 sides of nice* stands and one side of high school risers?

*"nice" is being generous to A&M. I was disappointed in the quality of their stadium when I visited. It's huge, yes, but also sub-par.

The south endzone bleachers have been put up on occasion in the past for major games (Notre Dame, Ohio State). Last year they left them up for the new season ticket buyers that followed after the MNC. Next year, they will have larger bleachers to accomodate ticket holders displaced by the north endzone construction. (new season ticket holders from last year are out of luck until 2008) They are becoming so "normal" that I would not be surprised if they keep them until the south end is redone sometime around 2015-20.

And I agree about Kyle Field. Every time I go I swear I will never go back. All three decks empty into ONE ramp creating a human traffic stoppage. Plus, it is just ugly, difficult in and out, and all those aggie corps guys throwing horse crap at opposing bands. Just my opinion, of course.

Dead Horse
4/10/2007, 09:12 PM
so have we come to any conclusions on this issue? I'm just wondering... i mean, there are a lot of posts in this thread.

and by the way, OW

royalfan5
4/10/2007, 10:59 PM
I'm not saying that what they say is incorrect. It probably is impossible (or impractical) to bowl in the south endzone so that the bleachers match up like they do in the north endzone. (And it's my understanding that that's what they're saying.)

All I'm saying is that I don't care. They don't have to match up. As far as I can tell, there's no reason that the stands HAVE to be at the same grade. Build a restraining wall when the grades start to split up, kinda like they have in the corners of Nebraska's stadium.

I wouldn't use Memorial Stadium as an example for building anything. The only reason the Stadium is any where near acceptable is because we've won a lot of games there.

Soonerus
4/10/2007, 11:26 PM
concrete footings are being poured about every 10 feet on the south edge near Lindsey...clearly a brick type fence is going up soon...

TopDawg
4/10/2007, 11:31 PM
I wouldn't use Memorial Stadium as an example for building anything. The only reason the Stadium is any where near acceptable is because we've won a lot of games there.

Heh. I was kinda disappointed when we visited a few years ago. I mean, it was neat but not nearly what I was expecting. So, yeah, it's not exactly the standard as far as stadiums go, but it does a good job of illustrating the process I'm talking about.

That one area of downtown down by the tracks with all the restaurants and stuff was cool, though.

TopDawg
4/10/2007, 11:31 PM
concrete footings are being poured about every 10 feet on the south edge near Lindsey...clearly a brick type fence is going up soon...

Looks like they'll have lights too...or some sort of electrical doo-hickey.

Soonerus
4/10/2007, 11:34 PM
Looks like they'll have lights too...or some sort of electrical doo-hickey.

I have been the full length on the south side by foot twice...cannot disagree on electrical, maybe street light type effect...

snp
4/10/2007, 11:46 PM
...clearly a brick type fence is going up soon...

Did it really take an eyewitness to confirm this or were the numerous releases about the stadium expansions not enough?

Soonerus
4/10/2007, 11:48 PM
Hey, the thread seemed to be everywhere so I offered my eye witness observation...that's it...

pardon the interREDtion
4/11/2007, 12:28 AM
I heard the concrete footing are for the pillars for the new dome thats goin up