PDA

View Full Version : One of the worst examples of sportswriting ever?

OUstud
3/7/2007, 08:08 PM
From SI's expert global warming article this week:

"Vic Wertz's blast would have been gone in just about any other ballpark. But the Polo Grounds' expansive centerfield gave Willie Mays room to run down the 460-foot shot in Game 1 of the 1954 World Series...According to newspaper accounts, it was 76 degrees...that late September day when Mays made his over-the-shoulder grab. By the calculations of University of Illinois physicist Alan Nathan, had it been 77 degrees (and according to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, the Earth is on average 1.17 degrees warmer than it was in '54) the ball would have traveled two inches farther in the less-dense air and thus might have glanced off the edge of Mays's outstretched glove."

:rolleyes:

royalfan5
3/7/2007, 08:09 PM

"Vic Wertz's blast would have been gone in just about any other ballpark. But the Polo Grounds' expansive centerfield gave Willie Mays room to run down the 460-foot shot in Game 1 of the 1954 World Series...According to newspaper accounts, it was 76 degrees...that late September day when Mays made his over-the-shoulder grab. By the calculations of University of Illinois physicist Alan Nathan, had it been 77 degrees (and according to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, the Earth is on average 1.17 degrees warmer than it was in '54) the ball would have traveled two inches farther in the less-dense air and thus might have glanced off the edge of Mays's outstretched glove."

Pretty much everything Skip Bayless has ever written or said is worse than that. Jay Mariotti too.

King Crimson
3/7/2007, 08:13 PM
i thought this was going to be a Jenni Carlson thread. i hope someone put her on a plane to Toronto with the national spotlight on OKC for the Big XII tourny this week.

though i agree about Skip and Mariotti. in Denver we have this knucklehead Mark Kiszla. he sucks out loud.

Scott D
3/7/2007, 08:20 PM
Well Kiszla can't attach his lips to Elway's *** like a remora anymore...well make that Elway or Roy's ***.

King Crimson
3/7/2007, 08:36 PM
Well Kiszla can't attach his lips to Elway's *** like a remora anymore...well make that Elway or Roy's ***.

oh, you can still keep a paid job in the Denver sports media going "remora" on Elway....

TopDawg
3/7/2007, 08:51 PM
Well, "Mays's" isn't the way I would've written it, but I wouldn't call it one of the worst ever.

King Crimson
3/7/2007, 08:52 PM
his complaint is not about sports or sports writing for that matter.

Scott D
3/8/2007, 10:33 AM
oh, you can still keep a paid job in the Denver sports media going "remora" on Elway....

oh yes, you can. But your relevance is on par with Elizabeth Taylor's wedding agent these days ;)

King Crimson
3/8/2007, 10:56 AM
oh yes, you can. But your relevance is on par with Elizabeth Taylor's wedding agent these days ;)

you think that matters to Bronco fan? they have won 1 playoff game in the last 7 years....but, "they are still one of the best teams in the AFC".

fadada1
3/8/2007, 10:59 AM
guy probably went to syracuse. filthy city.

King Crimson
3/8/2007, 11:02 AM
i really hate the syracuse media continuous reach-a-round mambo train bullshizz.

it's an average school, that's all it is.

Scott D
3/8/2007, 01:04 PM
you think that matters to Bronco fan? they have won 1 playoff game in the last 7 years....but, "they are still one of the best teams in the AFC".

don't forget other gems from Kizsla.

Claude Lemieux didn't do anything dirty, nor has he had a history of being dirty.

The humidor in Coors Field is a bad idea that will destroy baseball.

And lastly, the Nuggets won't have a winning record until they bring back Doug Moe as the head coach.

Fraggle145
3/8/2007, 01:48 PM

I may agree that GW is happening, but that is just ghey.